Report: Pro Golfer Died of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Cops still to confirm that detail but say Grayson Murray's body was found in his Florida home
By Jenn Gidman,  Newser Staff
Posted May 29, 2024 7:21 AM CDT
Report: Pro Golfer Died of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Grayson Murray is seen at the PGA Zurich Classic golf tournament at TPC Louisiana in Avondale, Louisiana, on April 20, 2023.   (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert, File)

More details are emerging on pro golfer Grayson Murray, who took his own life last week at the age of 30. Per the Palm Beach Post, Murray's body was found late Saturday morning at his residence in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, with no signs of foul play and no apparent public risk, according to local police. The two-time PGA Tour champ reportedly moved to the area with his fiancee, Christiana Ritchie. Citing a report in the Daily Mail, the New York Post reports that Murray is suspected of dying from carbon monoxide poisoning. Locals were said to have heard a carbon monoxide alarm blaring Saturday from Murray's three-story home and called police.

The former outlet reports that Murray left his Land Rover running in the garage, pumping fumes into the home. "My thought was maybe it was a kid revving a car," a concerned neighbor says of the car noises he heard just after midnight. "I went outside to investigate, but by then there was no sound." Police have yet to confirm the carbon monoxide angle; an investigation continues. has more on Ritchie, including her shared love of golf and religion with Murray, and on the tributes pouring in for the late golfer. (If you or someone you know is contemplating suicide, call or text 988 to reach the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.)

Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.