Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
SBF Had Epic
First Line Prepped
Dec 13, 2022 6:47 AM CST
Before Arrest, SBF Had Epic First Line Prepped for Congress
Bankman-Fried of collapsed FTX fund planned to use an f-bomb in his mea culpa
- In an interview on Monday, Sam Bankman-Fried declared, "I don't think I will be arrested." Hours later, the former CEO of the collapsed crypto exchange FTX was proved wrong . Authorities in the Bahamas took the 30-year-old into custody at the request of US officials. The details:
Dec 12, 2022 7:30 PM CST
FTX Founder Arrested in Bahamas
Sam Bankman-Fried was picked up at US request after prosecutors filed an indictment
- Sam Bankman-Fried, who is under criminal investigation in both places over the collapse of the crypto firm he founded, was arrested Monday in the Bahamas after an indictment was filed against him in the US. The announcement was made by US Attorney Damian Williams, who said the US government had...
Ahead of Hurricane
Nov 9, 2022 7:40 PM CST
Evacuation Orders Ahead of Hurricane Include Mar-a-Lago
Nicole could erode Florida beaches already damaged by Ian
- A Florida-bound storm strengthened into Hurricane Nicole on Wednesday after pounding the Bahamas, as US officials ordered evacuations that included former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club. It's a rare November hurricane for storm-weary Florida, where only two such hurricanes have made landfall since recordkeeping began in 1853—the...
Cruise Ship Passenger
Killed in Shark Attack
Sep 7, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Cruise Ship Passenger Killed in Shark Attack
The US mom was snorkeling when she suffered fatal bites from bull shark
- An American cruise ship passenger has died in a rare shark attack while snorkeling in the Bahamas. The 58-year-old mother from Pennsylvania was on a snorkeling excursion near a private island off Nassau shortly after 2pm Tuesday when a bull shark attacked, officials said, adding that relatives witnessed the encounter...
After 366 Years
on Sea Floor
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 6, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Jewels, Gold Recovered After 366 Years on Sea Floor
The Nuestra Señora de las Maravillas had already been salvaged many times
- The Nuestra Señora de las Maravillas (Our Lady of Wonders) sank in the Bahamas in 1656, laden with gold and jewels. The Spanish shipwreck had already been salvaged many times in the following centuries, and yet another expedition was recently launched—and turned out to be very worthwhile, the...
Cops: We Know What Killed
US Tourists in Bahamas
Jun 29, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Cops: We Know What Killed US Tourists in Bahamas
Carbon monoxide was to blame; case remains 'under active investigation'
It's confirmed: The three Americans in their 60s found dead in neighboring rooms at a Bahamas resort last month indeed "died as a result of asphyxiation due to carbon monoxide poisoning," according to the Royal Bahamas Police Force. It adds the case "remains under active...
May 9, 2022 3:11 PM CDT
Bahamas Resort Victims Named
3 found dead at resort include couple from Tennessee
- Police have released the names of three Americans who were found dead in villas at a Bahamas resort Friday, but the cause of death is still undetermined. Police said Tennessee residents Michael Phillips, 68, and Robbie Phillips, 65, were found dead in one villa at Sandals Emerald Bay resort on...
Surviving US Tourist Recalls
Being Stricken in Bahamas
May 9, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Surviving US Tourist Recalls Being Stricken in Bahamas
Alabama woman survived, but 3 other Americans have died
- The deaths of three American tourists at a resort in the Bahamas remained unexplained Monday as a fourth American recuperates in the hospital. Authorities in the Bahamas say they do not suspect foul play, and the State Department says it is monitoring the investigation. Details:
On Friday, a
3 Americans Found Dead
at Bahamas Resort
May 7, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
3 Americans Found Dead at Bahamas Resort
One woman is hospitalized as police search for the cause
- Detectives are investigating the deaths of three Americans whose bodies were found at a Bahamas resort with no obvious cause of death, including no signs of trauma. A fourth American, a woman, was airlifted to a hospital in Nassau, a spokesperson for the Sandals Emerald Bay resort said. Royal Bahamas...
When Creditor Comes Calling,
Cruise Ship Flees to Bahamas
Jan 24, 2022 6:10 AM CST
When Creditor Comes Calling, Cruise Ship Flees to Bahamas
One passenger says they felt like they were 'abducted by luxurious pirates'
- Passengers aboard the Crystal Symphony cruise ship were supposed to dock in Miami on Saturday. Instead, they ended up in the Bahamas after the US issued an arrest warrant for the ship, meaning it would be seized upon arrival, WSVN Miami reports. The ship, owned by Crystal Cruises, changed course...
Cause of Death Revealed
Jan 19, 2022 12:37 AM CST
Sidney Poitier's Cause of Death Revealed
'Guess Who's Coming to Dinner' star died earlier this month at 94
Sidney Poitier's death certificate reveals that the renowned actor died of heart failure. Alzheimer’s dementia and prostate cancer were also listed as underlying health issues, CNN reports.
Our original story from Jan. 7 follows:
CDC: Postpone Vacation Plans
to These 6 Destinations
in case you missed it
Aug 28, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
CDC: Postpone Vacation Plans to These 6 Destinations
Bahamas, 5 other locations moved onto CDC's list of 'very high' COVID risk
- The CDC's travel advisories list for COVID just received an update, with six nations moving up to Level 4 status, reports CNN . In other words—these are the countries you shouldn't be heading to right now. Ending up in the "Very High" risk category means that these...
Flight to Bahamas Nixed
After Teen 'Masked Rebellion'
Jul 7, 2021 11:37 AM CDT
Flight to Bahamas Nixed After Teen 'Masked Rebellion'
Dozens of high schoolers believed to be from Mass. wouldn't mask up, witnesses say
- Passengers on an American Airlines flight out of North Carolina found their vacation to the Bahamas disrupted after what the
New York Post
calls a "masked rebellion" by dozens of teens. WSOC reports that Flight 893, headed to Nassau, was prepping to take off from Charlotte Douglas International Airport...
Jun 6, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Tiger Sharks Are Pretty Brave During Hurricanes
Other species flee, but one species seems to see opportunity
- Researchers have found before that smaller types of sharks flee shallow water as a hurricane approaches. But it looks like one response doesn't fit all large sharks, a study published in
Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science
indicates. Tiger sharks didn't go anywhere as Hurricane Mathew neared the Bahamas...
After 5 Weeks on
Feb 10, 2021 8:51 AM CST
Trio Rescued After 5 Weeks on Deserted Island
They had a lovely bunch of coconuts, at least
- US Coast Guard officials were conducting a routine air patrol on Monday when they noticed movement on what should've been a deserted island in the Bahamas. It turns out a trio had been living on Anguilla Cay, a tiny chain of islands between the Bahamas and Cuba, since swimming...
Boat With 20 People Aboard
Vanishes En Route to Florida
Jan 2, 2021 7:11 AM CST
Boat With 20 People Aboard Vanishes En Route to Florida
Coast Guard has suspended the search
- The US Coast Guard on Friday suspended its search for a boat that went missing with 20 people on board, the AP reports. The travelers had taken the white and blue 29-foot Mako Cuddy Cabin vessel to Bimini, a chain of islands in the Bahamas, the
reports. It departed...
But the Feds
Find a Way
Aug 1, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
The Festival Fizzled Out. But the Feds Find a Way to Profit
The US Marshals Service puts merchandise and 'minor assets' up for auction
- More than three years after the highly publicized Fyre Festival famously fizzled out in the Bahamas, merchandise and other "minor assets" are up for sale—courtesy of the US Marshals Service, the AP reports. In a release Thursday, the US Marshals announced that 126 items from the festival will...
Here Comes Hurricane Isaias
Aug 1, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Here Comes Hurricane Isaias
The Sunshine State is closing beaches, parks, and virus testing sites
- Hurricane Isaias snapped trees and knocked out power as it blew through the Bahamas on Saturday and churned toward the Florida coast, where it is threatening to complicate efforts to contain the coronavirus in a hot spot, the AP reports. The storm is piling another burden on communities already hard-hit...
Flights to and
Jul 21, 2020 12:13 PM CDT
Island Bans Commercial Flights to and From US
Bahamas puts most Americans on the not-welcome list for the near future
- Three weeks after reopening its borders, the Bahamas is shutting them again—at least to most US travelers. Effective Wednesday, all commercial flights to the country will be halted except for those departing Canada, the UK, and the European Union, reports CNBC . Private international flights, pleasure craft, and yachts will...
Was 'So Hyped'
—And Now Has
to Pay $90K
May 20, 2020 7:23 PM CDT
Kendall Jenner Was 'So Hyped' —And Now Has to Pay $90K
The model was sued over a single Instagram post
- Kendall Jenner has agreed to pay $90,000 to settle a lawsuit over the disastrous Fyre Festival —you know, the one that spawned two documentaries and got its organizer sent to prison on wire fraud charges. Jenner was sued in an effort to recover money for creditors who invested...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.