Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Grizzlies May Thrive at
National Park Once Again
Nov 12, 2023 1:25 PM CST
Grizzlies May Thrive at National Park Once Again
But some groups oppose plans to repopulate the North Cascades
- Washington state's North Cascades National Park was once home to grizzly bears, until hunting them for hides wiped out the entire population. Federal agencies have now drafted a plan to reintroduce them to that land, according to the
, but not everyone is happy about it. The plan...
$5K Designer Jacket Is
Dyed With an Unusual Source
Nov 5, 2023 11:40 AM CST
$5K Designer Jacket Is Dyed With an Unusual Source
Design company uses algae, fungi, and bacteria to create products in the name of sustainability
- Dropping nearly $5,000 on a jacket isn't something most of us could sneeze over, though sneezes have something oddly in common with the newest line from Normal Phenomena of Life (known as NPOL). Their Exploring Jacket, which costs $4,895, gets its fun pink hue from bacteria, specifically...
Youth Take On Montana:
You're Destroying Our Future
Jun 13, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Youth Take On Montana: You're Destroying Our Future
Environmentalists say state broke vow to provide a healthy environment through embrace of fossil fuels
- Sixteen young people say the state of Montana is destroying their future through its embrace of fossil fuels as part of a landmark climate trial now underway in Helena. The plaintiffs, ages 5 to 22, argue the state is violating its own constitution, which has declared since 1972 that "...
This Is the Most
Apr 23, 2023 1:50 PM CDT
This Is the Most Sustainable City in America
San Francisco tops LawnStarter's list
- Saturday is Earth Day, so LawnStarter compared the 200 biggest cities in America to find the most (and least) sustainable ones. The site looked at more than two dozen metrics in five main categories:
, including incentives and policies that center on energy efficiency and renewables;
This Is the
Oct 6, 2022 1:15 PM CDT
This Is the Greenest City in America
San Diego takes the top spot in WalletHub's ranking of environmentally conscious metropolises
- With what seems like a never-ending series of headlines tied to the effects of global warming on Earth, many of us may be thinking ahead on what we can do next to help save our planet. Where we choose to live could also prove meaningful, with some cities around the...
Protest Opposes Destroying
Village to Expand Coal Mine
Apr 23, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
Protest Opposes Destroying Village to Expand Coal Mine
Last farmer has lost case in German courts against eviction
- Thousands of people on Saturday protested plans to bulldoze a village in western Germany to expand a coal mine that environmental activists say should be shut down, not enlarged. The German news agency dpa quoted police as saying that the demonstration in Luetzerath, 25 miles west of Cologne, was peaceful....
Your Cotton Bag
Isn't Saving the
Aug 25, 2021 2:15 PM CDT
Your Cotton Bag Isn't Saving the Planet. Maybe the Opposite
It takes a lot of water to grow cotton
- How many cotton tote bags do you have shoved into closets and cabinets and your car trunk? If the answer is too many, but you've at least consoled yourself that you're doing the planet good, bad news. In a piece for the
New York Times
on our "...
World's Largest Jeweler
Makes Huge Pivot
May 4, 2021 11:52 AM CDT
World's Largest Jeweler Makes Huge Pivot on Diamonds
Pandora will sell lab-made diamonds only from now on in the name of sustainability, affordability
- "Laboratory-made diamonds are a girl's best friend" may not have the same ring to it, but the world's largest jeweler is now banking on a shift in that direction and hoping it will be a lucrative one. The BBC reports that Pandora will cease to sell mined...
Bodies of Water Are
Suing the State of Florida
May 3, 2021 10:50 AM CDT
Bodies of Water Are Suing the State of Florida
Orange County lakes, streams file suit against state, housing developer under 'right of nature' law
- Late last year, voters in Orange County, Fla., pushed through a "rights of nature" law, making it the largest US municipality to do so, per a November release from the Center for Democratic and Environmental Rights. The legislation basically gives rights to rivers, streams, marshes, and lakes throughout the...
Over 70 Arrested for
Blocking Newspaper Plants
Sep 5, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
Over 70 Arrested for Blocking Newspaper Plants
The group is called Extinction Rebellion
- Police arrested more than 70 environmental activists who blockaded two British printing plants, disrupting the distribution of several national newspapers on Saturday, the AP reports. The group Extinction Rebellion said it targeted printworks at Broxbourne, north of London, and Knowsley in northwest England, that are owned by Rupert Murdoch’s...
Trump Quashes Major Law:
'All of That Ends Today'
Jul 15, 2020 3:26 PM CDT
Trump Quashes Major Law: 'All of That Ends Today'
The president reinterprets an environmental policy dating back to Nixon
- President Trump is rolling back a foundational Nixon-era environmental law that he says stifles infrastructure projects, but that is credited with ensuring decades of scrutiny of major projects and giving local communities a say, the AP reports. Trump was in Atlanta to announce changes Wednesday to the National Environmental Policy...
Made a Change
It Hopes You
Mar 9, 2020 9:29 AM CDT
Starbucks Just Made a Change It Hopes You Don't Notice
Company is testing greener coffee cup with biodegradable liner
- Starbucks' paper coffee cups aren't as easy to recycle as you may think. That's because it's challenging to separate the outer paper part from the thin plastic liner used on the inside to keep any hot beverage from seeping through. The chain hopes to change all of...
New From Prince William:
the Earthshot Prize
Jan 1, 2020 6:31 AM CST
New From Prince William: the Earthshot Prize
Duke of Cambridge announces a plan to take action to 'repair our planet'
- On the last day of 2019, Prince William announced on the Kensington Palace Instagram feed "the most prestigious environment prize in history." The multimillion-dollar Earthshot Prize , which will be formally launched in 2020 per the BBC , will hold awards ceremonies in cities around the world every year from...
'Illegal and Dangerous':
Oil Spill in the Galapagos
Dec 23, 2019 10:25 AM CST
'Illegal and Dangerous': Oil Spill in the Galapagos
Crane falls on vessel, causing boat to tip, oil to seep into water off of San Cristobal Island
- CNN notes that environmentalists are likely to be fuming after an accident in the Galapagos Islands over the weekend that dumped 600 gallons of oil into the water. The spill happened early Sunday as a crane was lowering a container onto a cargo vessel on San Cristobal Island, lost...
$52K Prize, Blasts
Oct 30, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
Thunberg Rejects $52K Prize, Blasts Nordic 'Bragging'
She wants action: 'The climate movement does not need any more awards'
- Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg has been honored with a $52,000 environmental prize from the Nordic Council. Her response: Thanks, but no thanks. "The climate movement does not need any more awards. What we need is for our politicians and the people in power start to listen to...
Amazon Fires Catch
the World's Attention
Aug 22, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
Amazon Fires Catch the World's Attention
Even amid disagreement over just how bad they are
- It's the dry season in Brazil, meaning wildfires are burning all over the country, including in the Amazon rainforest. In fact, the Brazilian agency in charge of monitoring fires—the National Institute for Space Research—reports that a record 74,155 blazes were burning as of this week, up...
Oil Pipeline Stymied
Despite Court Victory
Jun 8, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
Oil Pipeline Stymied Despite Court Victory
Seems it's too late in the year to start building
- An appeals court has lifted a judge's injunction that blocked construction of the Keystone XL oil pipeline from Canada to the US, but the developer has said it's too late to begin work this year and environmental groups vowed to keep fighting it, the AP reports. A three-judge...
Country's New Law
Could Bring 525B
New Trees to
May 31, 2019 12:15 PM CDT
Country's New Law Could Bring 525B New Trees to the World
Philippines bill would mandate students plant at least 10 trees each before graduating
- Advocates for a new bill in the Philippines say it could result in 525 billion new trees over the course of a generation, and the ones set to be on the front lines for this initiative are students. The
and CNN Philippines report on the proposed legislation, which mandates...
Collapse in Seconds
Apr 27, 2019 11:27 AM CDT
Power-Plant Towers Collapse in Seconds
Massachusetts plant had burned coal since 1963
- In a matter of seconds, two 500-foot cooling towers from Massachusetts' last coal-fired power plant have been reduced to rubble, the AP reports. The controlled demolition went off as scheduled at 8am Saturday at the former Brayton Point Station in Somerset. Live video showed the giant towers along Mount Hope...
'Very Disturbing' Journey
Dec 16, 2018 4:25 PM CST
Swimmer Ends 'Very Disturbing' Journey
Benoit Lecomte has a message for the world
- A swimmer's record-breaking effort may be on hold, but his warning endures: There's way too much plastic out there. Benoît "Ben" Lecomte set foot on Oahu, Hawaii on Monday, conclusively ending his dream of being the first swimmer to cross the Pacific Ocean, per CNN . A...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.