Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Move' on Insulin
Mar 20, 2023 11:15 AM CDT
In California, an 'Extraordinary Move' on Insulin
Gov. Gavin Newsom announces $50M partnership with Civica Rx to make $30 vials of diabetic drug
- Last summer, California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced that his state planned to manufacture its own, more affordable, insulin for diabetics there. Now, California has moved a step closer to making that a reality. Newsom, who's on a statewide road trip to talk about his administration's policies, made a...
Another Drugmaker Joins
Insulin Price Cuts
Mar 14, 2023 11:50 AM CDT
Another Drugmaker Joins Insulin Price Cuts
Novo Nordisk joins Eli Lilly, with new pricing set to go into effect Jan. 1
- Novo Nordisk will start slashing some US insulin prices up to 75% next year, reports the AP , following a path set earlier this month by rival Eli Lilly . The Danish drugmaker said Tuesday that prefilled pens and vials of long- and short-acting insulins will see list price reductions. They include...
Eli Lilly Makes a 'Good Guy'
Move on Insulin Prices
Mar 1, 2023 8:06 AM CST
Eli Lilly Makes a 'Good Guy' Move on Insulin Prices
It's cutting list price for its most commonly prescribed insulin by 70%
- Some relief, at long last, for diabetics, who can pay as much as $1,000 a month for the insulin they require: Eli Lilly on Wednesday announced that it will be slashing insulin prices, some immediately and some later this year.
Lilly will cut the list price for its most
1.3 Million Diabetic Americans
Forced to Ration Insulin
Nov 7, 2022 4:52 PM CST
1.3 Million Diabetic Americans Forced to Ration Insulin
It can have serious if not deadly consequences
- Nearly 30 million Americans have been diagnosed with diabetes, and over 7 million of them rely on a daily dose of insulin, including almost 1.9 million living with Type 1. For them, access to insulin is a matter of life and death, but as the
reports, a recent...
GOP Senators Block
$35 Limit on Insulin Prices
Aug 7, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
GOP Senators Block $35 Limit on Insulin Prices
Cap for Medicare patients remains in bill
: Senate Republicans knocked a $35 monthly limit on insulin costs for diabetics out of the Democratic economic bill on Sunday. "The reality is the cost of insulin is not just out of control, it is devastating people," Democratic Sen. Patty Murray said on the floor before the...
California Will Start Making
Its Own Insulin
Jul 8, 2022 10:59 AM CDT
California Will Start Making Its Own Insulin
Governor says costs will significantly drop, plus jobs will be created
- For diabetics in California, economic relief may soon be on the way. On Thursday, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced a groundbreaking initiative that will allow the state to manufacture its own insulin, reports KION-TV . Half of the earmarked $100 million will go toward developing affordable insulin products, and the other $50...
Members of Religious Sect
Charged in Girl's Death
Jul 5, 2022 3:47 PM CDT
Members of Religious Sect Charged in Girl's Death
Parents of Australia's Elizabeth Struhs were previously charged; they prayed instead of providing insulin
- Australian police on Tuesday arrested 12 members of a religious group who allegedly prayed for an 8-year-old Queensland girl as she lay dying, rather than providing life-saving insulin. Earlier this year, the girl's parents, Jason and Kerrie Struhs, were arrested and charged with murder, torture, and failing to provide...
Race to Develop Insulin
Brought Out Worst in
Mar 12, 2022 7:30 AM CST
Race to Develop Insulin Brought Out Worst in Some Scientists
A century later, some researchers are best remembered for their belligerent quest for glory
- Of the roughly 420 million humans who live with diabetes, some 150 million rely on insulin "to live a full and healthy life," per Diabetes Canada. Few if any know names like Frederick Banting or John Macleod, though they were the two men who received the Nobel prize...
for This 7% Target
'Could Kill Them'
Dec 4, 2021 4:20 PM CST
Diabetics' Quest for This 7% Target 'Could Kill Them'
Reuters dives deep into the A1c target and drugmakers' role in pushing it
- "He really tried hard to be at" an A1c below 7%, said Lucy Carlson. "That is what actually killed him." If that doesn't make sense to you, there's a good chance you don't have diabetes. Carlson's husband Ron did—type 2, since 2001—...
FDA: Drugstores Can Swap Out
Name-Brand, Costlier Insulin
Jul 28, 2021 6:55 PM CDT
FDA: Drugstores Can Swap Out Name-Brand, Costlier Insulin
Change will make biosimilars easier to obtain
- US regulators took action Wednesday that will make it easier to get a cheaper, near-copy of a brand-name insulin at the drugstore. Doctors now have to specifically prescribe what's called a biosimilar or OK substituting it for a more expensive brand-name insulin. Wednesday's move by the Food and...
a Revolution in
Jun 29, 2021 12:00 PM CDT
Walmart Touts a Revolution in Diabetes Care
Retailer to offer low-cost analog insulin starting this week
- Walmart says diabetes patients can save up to 75% on rapid-acting insulin by purchasing its own brand of the drug, launching this week. What it calls the "first-ever private brand analog insulin"—to be sold at Walmart pharmacies this week and at Sam's Club pharmacies in mid-July—...
They Were Meant
to Get Flu Shots.
Instead, a 'Medical
Nov 9, 2019 8:45 AM CST
They Were Meant to Get Flu Shots. Instead, a 'Medical Misadventure'
8 residents, 2 workers at Oklahoma care center apparently received insulin instead of flu vaccine
- Investigators believe an unintentional mix-up led to 10 people being hospitalized in Oklahoma after receiving what was supposed to be their flu vaccines. The AP reports that eight residents and two workers at Jacquelyn House, a care center for people with intellectual disabilities, were sickened this week after the shots...
They Died at Veterans Hospital.
It Turns Out They Were Killed
Aug 29, 2019 7:01 AM CDT
They Died at Veterans Hospital. It Turns Out They Were Killed
Both men died from insulin injections
- As many as 11 deaths are under investigation at a VA medical center in Clarksburg, W.Va., and two have been ruled homicides. The family of George Nelson Shaw, Sr., was "floored" to learn last month that his April 2018 death at Louis A. Johnson VA Medical Center had...
He Switched to
Low-Cost Insulin to
Save for Wedding, Died
Aug 7, 2019 9:45 AM CDT
He Switched to Low-Cost Insulin to Save for Wedding, Died
Fiancee found Virginia man at the dog kennel where he worked for $16.50 per hour
- A diabetic man's death in Virginia shortly after he aged out of a family health insurance plan is highlighting the deadly consequences of the skyrocketing costs of insulin. Josh Wilkerson, who had Type 1 diabetes, couldn't afford to buy the prescription brand of insulin he needed—at a...
This Is the First State
to Cap the Price of Insulin
May 27, 2019 7:33 AM CDT
This Is the First State to Cap the Price of Insulin
'The days of insulin price gouging are over in Colorado'
- With the soaring price of insulin forcing some diabetics to ration the drug , Colorado has become the first state to introduce a price cap. The state has introduced a law that caps the price of co-pays for insured patients to $100 a month,
reports. "The days of...
Cigna Makes Big Move
on Insulin Pricing
Apr 3, 2019 4:58 PM CDT
Cigna Makes Big Move on Insulin Pricing
Says some of its members will pay no more than $25 per month for the diabetes drug
- As the health care industry faces increasing pressure over the hefty price of insulin , a major health insurer is taking action. Cigna and Express Scripts, the company's pharmacy benefit manager, announced Wednesday that under a new program being rolled out later this year and further expanded in 2020, commercial...
Popular Diabetes Drug Gets
Mar 4, 2019 4:31 PM CST
Popular Diabetes Drug Gets Half-Priced Alternative
Eli Lilly announces 'authorized generic' version of Humalog insulin
- Drug-maker Eli Lilly is coming out with a half-priced version of its popular insulin Humalog. In fact, the drug called Insulin Lispro will be identical to Humalog except for its packaging and its price—it will cost $137.50 per vial, or 50% less than Humalog, reports the
Jan 19, 2019 10:15 AM CST
Did Insulin Rationing Kill a 26-Year-Old?
The 'Washington Post' looks at tragic case of young man who died after losing insurance coverage
- Alec Raeshawn Smith was shocked to be diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 23. The incurable autoimmune disease, which often strikes in childhood, is far less common than type 2 diabetes, which does not always require patients to take insulin. Type 1 diabetics must take it; before the hormone...
Insulin: Appetite Suppressant?
Researchers Say Maybe
Jul 21, 2017 8:44 AM CDT
Insulin: Appetite Suppressant? Researchers Say Maybe
First study of insulin's direct effect on behavior
- Even people who don't have diabetes may some day take insulin if the findings from a small new study hold. Researchers report in the journal
that, in what may be the first study to look at how insulin impacts behavior, the hormone may suppress one's appetite....
Unlikely Item Helped
Kidnap Victim Escape Trunk
Mar 20, 2017 9:43 AM CDT
Unlikely Item Helped Kidnap Victim Escape Trunk
Quick thinking, light of insulin pump gave Brittany Diggs the chance to escape
- The Alabama nursing student whose brave kidnapping escape was caught on a gas station's surveillance video last week revealed that her insulin pump played a role in her getaway. In an exclusive interview with the
show on Monday, Brittany Diggs, 25, said the faint light of her insulin...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
New Suit Says Police Abused Woman in 'Torture Warehouse'
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.