Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
12 Years Later,
Jul 29, 2023 8:30 AM CDT
12 Years Later, We're Still Dishonoring Amy Winehouse
Lisa Whittington-Hill at the Walrus contrasts Winehouse's reputation with that of Kurt Cobain
- Amy Winehouse died 12 years ago this month at 27, done in by her addictions. The same was true of Kurt Cobain. But in a piece at the Walrus comparing the way the two are remembered, Lisa Whittington-Hill makes the case that we have done a disservice to Winehouse. To...
A Sadly Symbolic
Amy Winehouse Dress Is Sold
Nov 8, 2021 11:57 AM CST
A Sadly Symbolic Amy Winehouse Dress Is Sold
She wore it in final performance, and it goes for nearly $250K
- In June 2011, Amy Winehouse sang in Serbia, in what would be her last stage performance before her death the next month of alcohol poisoning at age 27. Now, someone owns the dress she wore at that final Belgrade gig, after a Julien's auction in Los Angeles saw it...
Winehouse's Dad Not Happy With
's Oscar Win
Feb 29, 2016 6:30 PM CST
Winehouse's Dad Not Happy With
's Oscar Win
He calls the documentary a 'negative, spiteful, misleading' vision of his daughter
- If you thought Mitch Winehouse would be celebrating the Oscar win for
, the documentary about his daughter, think again. Winehouse has decried the biopic in the past,
reports, and on Monday he was at it again. "Always proud of my baby. Amy will not get an [O]scar...
Has Something for
Everyone (to Hate)
Jun 30, 2015 10:57 AM CDT
Winehouse Film Has Something for Everyone (to Hate)
Her dad especially says Asif Kapadia film is 'horrible'
- Asif Kapadia's documentary
, about late singer Amy Winehouse, is due out Friday, and there are already droves of people who may not be happy about it, reports the
New York Times
. Although the director "avoids definitive finger-pointing," the paper notes, among those who don't come...
7 Celebrity Ghosts
Sep 27, 2014 1:59 PM CDT
7 Celebrity Ghosts
These stars have supposedly been spotted after their deaths
- It's one thing to see a ghost—but a celebrity ghost? The Stir rounds up 15 late stars rumored to haunt the living, including:
A TV crew claims to have spotted his ghost at Neverland Ranch.
Her ghost has reportedly been sighted at her grave,
May Go on Tour
Mar 28, 2014 1:23 PM CDT
Amy Winehouse May Go on Tour as Hologram
Show would use same technology that put Tupac Shakur at Coachella
- Tupac paved the way , and now Amy Winehouse may follow. British tabloid
reports that the late Winehouse may go on a world tour as a 3D hologram. "The idea is in its early stages, but it’s hoped that Amy’s dad Mitch will maybe join...
Jun 24, 2013 7:46 AM CDT
Bulimia Killed Amy Winehouse: Brother
Alex Winehouse says eating disorder 'left her weaker and more susceptible'
- In his first full interview, Amy Winehouse's brother Alex reveals what he thinks really killed the singer: bulimia. She began suffering from the eating disorder in her late teens and was never able to free herself from it, he tells the
. "We all knew she was doing...
Winehouse Drank Herself
to Death: 2nd Coroner
Jan 8, 2013 6:33 AM CST
Winehouse Drank Herself to Death: 2nd Coroner
New inquest reaches same conclusion as first
- A second inquest into Amy Winehouse's death has ended with the same conclusion as the first : The singer died after drinking too much alcohol. The second coroner also ruled it a "death by misadventure," or accidental alcohol poisoning, and confirmed that Winehouse's blood alcohol level was...
Dec 20, 2012 4:22 AM CST
Soloists Die Young More Often Than Band Members
Plus: European rockers less likely to die prematurely
- Hey, pop stars: Want to live a long and healthy life? You're better off joining a band, a study finds. Famous solo musicians suffer double the early-death risk that band members face, say researchers who reviewed the lives of 1,400 stars active between 1956 and 2006. As of...
Death to Be
Dec 17, 2012 6:00 AM CST
Winehouse's Death to Be Investigated Again
Coroner in first investigation didn't have right credentials
- The investigation into Amy Winehouse's July 2011 death isn't over: British officials have announced that a new investigation will begin Jan. 8, CNN reports. The coroner involved in the original investigation did not have the correct credentials and was suspended, London's Camden Council says. That coroner resigned...
Nov 1, 2012 8:45 AM CDT
Amy Winehouse's Wedding Dress Goes Missing
Her foundation believes it was stolen
- Amy Winehouse's marriage to Blake Fielder-Civil didn't last , and it seems a memento from her 2006 wedding day has met an unfortunate end as well. The AP reports that the late singer's wedding dress has gone missing from her former London home; it's believed to have...
Entire Third Album
Nov 17, 2011 5:45 AM CST
Winehouse Wrote Entire Third Album
But only 2 songs were recorded, producer says
- Amy Winehouse had written an entire album of songs before her death but sadly for the late singer's fans, most of it exists only on paper. The album would have been her third, but she was in no rush to release new material, says music producer Salaam Remi, who...
Oct 26, 2011 10:52 AM CDT
It's Official: Alcohol Killed Winehouse
Coroner rules it 'death by misadventure'
- It wasn’t a lack of alcohol , but alcohol itself that killed Amy Winehouse. A coroner has determined that Winehouse consumed a “potentially fatal” amount of alcohol the night she died, and ruled it a “death by misadventure,” the AP reports. A pathologist says Winehouse drank a...
Oct 11, 2011 5:50 AM CDT
Dad Writing Winehouse Bio
Amy, My Daughter will tell singer's true story, Mitch Winehouse says
- Mitch Winehouse is writing the story of his daughter's life, with all proceeds going to the charity set up in her name, the BBC reports. In
Amy, My Daughter
, to be published next summer, he will "bring the many layers of her life together—the personal, the private,...
Gets First No. 1
Sep 29, 2011 5:00 AM CDT
Tony Bennett Gets First No. 1 Album—at 85
Bennett by far the oldest person to ever top Billboard
- Not even controversial comments about 9/11 can slow down Tony Bennett. The octogenarian crooner has been topping singles charts since 1951, but only now, 60 years later, has he finally landed his first No. 1 album, reports
. In fact,
makes Bennett the oldest ever artist to top...
Sep 9, 2011 5:48 PM CDT
Amy Winehouse's Dad Thinks Seizure Killed Her
She had 'nobody there to rescue her'
- Amy Winehouse's father says he thinks his daughter died after suffering a seizure related to alcohol detoxification and "there was nobody there to rescue her." During a taping of Anderson Cooper's new syndicated talk show, Mitch Winehouse said his daughter had been off drugs for two...
Winehouse Album Is UK's
Bestseller of the Century
Aug 26, 2011 2:54 AM CDT
Winehouse Album Is UK's Bestseller of the Century
Tony Bennett to lead MTV Winehouse tribute
- A surge in sales following her death has made Amy Winehouse's
Back to Black
Britain's biggest-selling record of the 21st century, knocking crooner James Blunt into second place. The 2006 album, which shot back to the top of her charts after the singer's death last month, has...
No Drugs in
at Death: Family
Aug 23, 2011 10:25 AM CDT
No Drugs in Amy's System at Death: Family
Alcohol was present, but cause of death still unclear
- There was alcohol in Amy Winehouse’s system when she died, but toxicology tests turned up no illegal substances, her family says. No word yet whether the alcohol played a role in her death, and it's still not clear what killed her, the AP reports. In other Winehouse news,...
Winehouse Spent $2K on
Drugs Night Before Death
says drug 'fixer'
Aug 1, 2011 9:55 AM CDT
Winehouse Spent $2K on Drugs Night Before Death
Drug fixer says singer bought crack cocaine, heroin
- The night before she was found dead, Amy Winehouse reportedly asked a drug "fixer" friend to hook her up with a dealer—and she bought nearly $2,000 dollars worth of crack cocaine and heroin, the fixer says. Tony Azzopardi, who met Winehouse through her ex-husband Blake Fielder-Civil, will...
Amy Was Adopting
Jul 31, 2011 2:03 PM CDT
Amy Was Adopting 10-Year-Old: Tab
Dannika Augustine already had mom, grandma, but was poor
- Perhaps the weirdest news to come out since Amy Winehouse's death so far: The
reports that the singer was in the process of adopting a 10-year-old girl from St. Lucia when she died. Making the news even weirder? Dannika Augustine already has a mother and grandmother, but apparently...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.