Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Tuberville Makes Surprise Reversal on Military Holds
World Health Organization
Stories 1 - 20 |
to WHO Foundation
Jul 20, 2023 1:27 PM CDT
Anonymous Donations to WHO Foundation Raise Questions
Some fear conflicts of interest are being hidden
- Nearly 40% of the money raised by the WHO Foundation in its first two years came from anonymous sources, worrying some that donors may be trying to influence the World Health Organization and its role in shaping global health policy with their gifts. The foundation, launched in 2020 to help...
Jul 14, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
WHO Declares Aspartame a Possible Carcinogen
But keeps current intake guidelines the same
- As expected , the World Health Organization on Thursday declared aspartame, one of the world's most most widely used artificial sweeteners, a possible carcinogen. But, in a possibly confusing addendum, it also kept the current intake guidelines the same. As the
explains, two different WHO panels have been...
Report: WHO to
as Possible Carcinogen
Jun 29, 2023 7:33 AM CDT
Report: WHO to Deem Sweetener as Possible Carcinogen
Meanwhile, the FDA, nearly 100 nations have greenlit aspartame
- Last month, the World Health Organization released new guidelines that cautioned people against using artificial sweeteners for weight control, citing findings that suggest long-term use ups the risk of diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and other issues. Now the agency is signaling it may soon issue a new warning on one of...
to Lose Weight
May 15, 2023 4:40 PM CDT
WHO: Don't Use Sugar Substitutes to Lose Weight
Artificial sweetener industry argues the findings
- Reducing the amount of sugar in diets is a good idea for everyone, especially those trying to lose weight, the World Health Organization says—but using a sugar substitute is not. A review of available data shows that the use of non-sugar sweeteners "does not confer any long-term benefit...
WHO Delivers 12 Long-Awaited
Words on COVID
May 5, 2023 10:04 AM CDT
WHO Delivers 12 Long-Awaited Words on COVID
Agency says the virus is no longer a global health emergency
- The leader of the World Health Organization delivered 12 words Friday that were three years in the making: “With great hope, I declare COVID-19 over as a global health emergency,” said WHO director general Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, per the
New York Times
. The declaration is more symbolic...
These 19 Fungi Are a
Major Risk to Human Health
Oct 26, 2022 9:55 AM CDT
These 19 Fungi Are a Major Risk to Human Health
World Health Organization releases its first list of these 'priority pathogens'
- The World Health Organization already has lists of the viruses and bacteria that pose the greatest risk to human health. Now, a new list from the UN agency, this one dedicated to threatening fungi. Reuters reports the 19 fungi on the WHO's radar—including
, which the CDC...
WHO Has a Warning
for Couch Potatoes
Oct 20, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
WHO Has a Warning for Couch Potatoes
Agency notes 'severe' cost for physical inactivity, with various diseases looming
- Get active or risk disease. That's the message from the World Health Organization, whose first global report on physical activity indicates 500 million people in 194 countries will develop heart disease, obesity, diabetes, stroke, dementia, depression, or other diseases unless they boost their physical activity. "There are few...
WHO Chief: End of
Pandemic Is in Sight
Sep 14, 2022 2:29 PM CDT
WHO Chief: End of Pandemic Is in Sight
Weekly deaths hit lowest level since March 2020
- The end of the pandemic is in sight and the world has never been in a better position to stop COVID-19, the chief of the World Health Organization said Wednesday. Reuters describes Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus' remarks as his most optimistic since March 2020, when the UN health agency first declared...
in 2 Days
Jul 30, 2022 3:48 PM CDT
Spain Reports 2 Monkeypox Fatalities in 2 Days
Brazil has reported its first fatality, while WHO official warns of more ahead
- Spain on Saturday reported a second death in as many days from monkeypox. These are believed to be the first confirmed fatalities from the disease in Europe since its recent spread beyond Africa. Both fatalities were young men, the health ministry said, after reporting Spain's first death on Friday,...
UN: We Have a
Jul 23, 2022 10:31 AM CDT
UN: We Have a Monkeypox 'Outbreak'
'We have an outbreak that has spread around the world rapidly through new modes of transmission'
- The chief of the World Health Organization said the expanding monkeypox outbreak in more than 70 countries is an “extraordinary” situation that now qualifies as a global emergency, a declaration Saturday that could spur further investment in treating the once-rare disease and worsen the scramble for scarce vaccines. WHO...
'Centaurus' Omicron Variant
Is Raising Concerns
Jul 13, 2022 6:43 AM CDT
'Centaurus' Omicron Variant Is Raising Concerns
India experiencing 'exponential increase' with BA.2.75
- Another super contagious omicron variant has been detected in the US. Dubbed "Centaurus," the BA.2.75 variant was first detected in India in early May and is now spreading rapidly there. "It's still really early on for us to draw too many conclusions" but "...
Getting a New Name
in case you missed it
Jun 18, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Monkeypox Is Getting a New Name
WHO plans to hold emergency meeting on 'unusual and concerning' outbreak
- The World Health Organization is planning to hold an emergency meeting next week on what Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus calls the "unusual and concerning" worldwide outbreak of monkeypox . The organization plans to look into whether the outbreak should be declared a "public health emergency of international concern,"...
on COVID Origins
Jun 10, 2022 12:20 PM CDT
WHO Report on COVID Origins Angers China
Team said there should be further investigation of lab leak theory
- A team of scientists backed by the World Health Organization released a preliminary report Thursday on the search for the origins of the coronavirus pandemic—and China was angered by the suggestion that the theory the virus may have leaked from a lab merited further investigation. The team said that...
WHO Sees 'a Window'
for Stopping Monkeypox
May 30, 2022 3:35 PM CDT
WHO Sees 'a Window' for Stopping Monkeypox
Confirmed cases worldwide have reached 257
- With the World Health Organization's count of confirmed cases worldwide hitting 257, "the world has an opportunity to stop this outbreak," an official said Monday. "There is a window," said Rosamund Lewis, the organization's technical lead on monkeypox. Another 120 cases are suspected in...
200 Monkeypox Cases
Seen in 20 Nations
May 27, 2022 1:04 PM CDT
200 Monkeypox Cases Seen in 20 Nations
UN agency says virus is 'containable'
- The World Health Organization says nearly 200 cases of monkeypox have been reported in more than 20 countries not usually known to have outbreaks, but it described the epidemic as "containable" and proposed creating a stockpile to share the limited vaccines and drugs available worldwide. The UN health agency...
First Death Reported
in Kids' Liver Ailment
Apr 25, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
First Death Reported in Kids' Liver Ailment
Health agencies in US and Europe investigate 'acute hepatitis of unknown origin'
A mysterious liver disease affecting children in the US and Europe has claimed its first life. The World Health Organization didn't specify where the death occurred. It said it has received 169 reports of "acute hepatitis of unknown origin" from a dozen countries, with most of the...
Outlook Is Bleak for
Russia's Sputnik Vaccine
Apr 13, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Outlook Is Bleak for Russia's Sputnik Vaccine
WHO approval looks 'unlikely' following invasion of Ukraine: 'WaPo'
- Russia's coronavirus vaccine was the first approved for use in any country just six months into the global pandemic. But Sputnik V has now seen "an inauspicious fall," the
reports, adding Russia's invasion of Ukraine looks to have "sabotaged any further aspirations" for...
WHO: Europe Is Entering
'Plausible Endgame' to COVID
Feb 3, 2022 4:33 AM CST
WHO: Europe Is Entering 'Plausible Endgame' to COVID
Upcoming period 'should be seen as a cease-fire that could bring us enduring peace'
- The director of the World Health Organization’s Europe office said Thursday the continent is now entering a “plausible endgame” to the pandemic and the number of coronavirus deaths is starting to plateau. Dr. Hans Kluge said at a media briefing that there is a "singular opportunity" for...
WHO: Don't Call Omicron 'Mild'
Jan 7, 2022 7:35 AM CST
WHO: Don't Call Omicron 'Mild'
World passes 300M COVID cases
- When describing a viral strain spreading around the world with astonishing speed, words matter, and "mild" is not the correct word for omicron, the chief of the World Health Organization warned Thursday. "While omicron does appear to be less severe compared to delta, especially in those vaccinated, it...
Japan Does a 180 on
Controversial Omicron Policy
Dec 2, 2021 12:07 AM CST
Japan Does a 180 on Controversial Omicron Policy
And more on what omicron means around the globe
Just one day after announcing a recommendation that quickly became quite controversial, Japan is changing its tune. The country's transport ministry on Thursday said it was retracting its request that airlines stop taking reservations for people coming in to Japan until the new year, the AP reports.
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
Elusive Tire Slasher Turned Out to Be a Dog
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.