Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
4 Former First Ladies
Attend Rosalynn Tribute
Nov 28, 2023 4:22 PM CST
Jimmy Carter, 4 Former First Ladies Attend Rosalynn Tribute
It was former president's first public appearance since September
- Rosalynn Carter was memorialized Tuesday as a matriarch who felt most comfortable among the impoverished and vulnerable as she was mourned by a rare gathering of all living US first ladies and multiple presidents, including her 99-year-old husband Jimmy Carter. The tribute service marked the second day of a three-day...
Nov 27, 2023 7:10 PM CST
Hundreds Celebrate Rosalynn Carter
Family plans three days of memorials to former first lady
- Hundreds of people turned out Monday to salute Rosalynn Carter on the former first lady and global humanitarian's final journey from her hometown to the Jimmy Carter Presidential Center in Atlanta. The Carter family began three days of memorials following her death Nov. 19 at age 96, the AP...
Rosalynn Carter's Death
Nov 20, 2023 1:00 AM CST
Jimmy Carter Releases Statement on Rosalynn Carter's Death
Tributes to beloved former first lady pour in
- Jimmy Carter has released a statement following the death Sunday of his wife of more than 77 years, Rosalynn Carter. "Rosalynn was my equal partner in everything I ever accomplished," the former president said in a statement from the Carter Center,
reports. "She gave me...
Rosalynn Carter, 96,
Expanded Role of First Lady
Nov 19, 2023 3:09 PM CST
Rosalynn Carter, 96, Expanded Role of First Lady
Wife of former President Jimmy Carter advocated for mental health issues, attended Cabinet meetings
- Rosalynn Carter, the former first lady who was a full partner to her husband in life and politics—sitting in on his Cabinet meetings—died Sunday. She died peacefully at home in Plains, Georgia, where she had entered hospice care with former President Jimmy Carter, the Carter Center announced. She...
Enters Hospice Care
Nov 17, 2023 2:43 PM CST
Rosalynn Carter Enters Hospice Care
Former first lady and President Carter are 'spending time with each other and their family,' grandson says
- Former first lady Rosalynn Carter, 96, has entered hospice care at her home in Plains, Georgia, the Carter Center announced Friday. Her husband, former President Jimmy Carter, also is in hospice care in their home. The family announced earlier this year that Rosalynn Carter is dealing with dementia. "She...
Generations Celebrate Carter
Sep 30, 2023 5:35 PM CDT
Generations Celebrate Carter
Attendees reassess presidency of the man from Plains
- James Earl Carter Jr., known as "Jimmy" from the start—in 1924—was celebrated Saturday at his presidential library and museum ahead of his 99th birthday on Sunday. "I think of him as a man who did so much to help low-income people and minorities—and I was...
Plans Have Changed for
Jimmy Carter's 99th Birthday
Sep 28, 2023 7:52 AM CDT
Plans Have Changed for Jimmy Carter's 99th Birthday
Some events feting ex-president have been switched to Saturday as DC shutdown looms
- Jimmy Carter's 99th birthday is on Sunday, seven months after the former president announced he was entering home hospice care. Some events for that official celebration, however, are now being moved to Saturday due to the government shutdown that's going to kick in on Oct. 1 if lawmakers...
In an Unannounced Outing,
Carters Attend Plains Festival
Sep 23, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
In an Unannounced Outing, Carters Attend Plains Festival
Former first couple take a ride through a hometown event
- Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter are in rapidly declining health , their family has said. But that didn't keep the former president and first lady from attending a major local event on a pleasant day. The famous residents of Plains, Georgia, rolled slowly through the town's annual Peanut Festival in...
Jimmy Carter, at Nearly 99,
Is 'Coming to the End'
Sep 15, 2023 2:24 AM CDT
Jimmy Carter, at Nearly 99, Is 'Coming to the End'
But, grandson says, he and wife Rosalynn are still happy, in love
- Jimmy Carter's 99th birthday is coming up on October 1, and while his physical challenges are "really significant," the former president watches baseball and spends time with his family nearly every day, says his grandson Jason Carter. The younger Carter, chairman of the Carter Center's Board...
Jimmy Carter Is
Giving Us One Last Gift
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 2, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
Jimmy Carter Is Giving Us One Last Gift
Former president might change the way people view hospice care, writes doctor
- Many people figured Jimmy Carter had only weeks, maybe even days, to live when he entered home hospice care back in February. Six months later, he remains in his Georgia home , still enjoying time with loved ones. With this, critical care physician Daniela J. Lamas writes in a
It's the 'Final Chapter'
Aug 20, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Carters' Grandson: It's the 'Final Chapter'
Rosalynn just turned 96 and husband Jimmy remains in hospice care
- Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter's grandson tells
that the "final chapter" has arrived for his grandparents. The former president entered hospice care in February and the former first lady was diagnosed with dementia three months later. "It's clear we're in the final chapter," said...
Rosalynn Carter Is
Suffering From Dementia
May 30, 2023 12:16 PM CDT
Rosalynn Carter Is Suffering From Dementia
Former first lady has been a mental health advocate for much of her life
- The wife of former President Jimmy Carter is suffering from dementia, the Carter Center shared in a Tuesday statement . "She continues to live happily at home with her husband, enjoying spring in Plains [Georgia] and visits with loved ones," reads the statement, which notes the 95-year-old has been...
Grandson on Carter in Hospice:
He Knows He's 'Not in Charge'
May 24, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Grandson on Carter in Hospice: He Knows He's 'Not in Charge'
Ex-president, 98, is in good spirits, relying on his faith, wife Rosalynn, per Jason Carter
- Three months after entering end-of-life care at home , former President Jimmy Carter remains in good spirits as he visits with family, follows public discussion of his legacy, and receives updates on the Carter Center's humanitarian work around the world, his grandson says. He's even enjoying regular servings of...
For Carter's Childhood Friend,
a Little-Known Murder Charge
Mar 26, 2023 8:25 AM CDT
For Carter's Childhood Friend, a Little-Known Murder Charge
'Washington Post' explores how future president helped Alonzo 'AD' Davis out of legal trouble
- Jimmy Carter has fondly written about and spoken of his Black childhood friend, Alonzo "AD" Davis. The bond forged between them in Plains, Georgia, decades ago led the future president to "question the Jim Crow norms" of the day, writes Danielle Paquette in the
. Davis died...
Mar 14, 2023 7:29 AM CDT
Biden Reveals He'll Deliver Carter Eulogy
'Excuse me, I shouldn't say that,' president adds
- While speaking about Jimmy Carter—who remains in hospice care in Georgia—President Biden appeared to inadvertently reveal part of the upcoming funeral plans. “He asked me to do his eulogy,” Biden said at a Democratic fundraiser Monday in Rancho Sante Fe, California, reports Axios . But Biden then...
Had Been Taking
Around Plains, Ga.
Feb 19, 2023 9:50 AM CST
Jimmy Carter Had Been Taking Last Drives Around Plains, Ga.
Former president is now in hospice care at age 98
- Jimmy Carter is now in what appears to be his final days or weeks after his decision to receive hospice care at home in Plains, Georgia. There's no word on whether the 98-year-old former president is suffering from a specific ailment, reports the
New York Times
. He has, however,...
Jimmy Carter to Receive
Hospice Care at Home
Feb 18, 2023 3:35 PM CST
Jimmy Carter to Receive Hospice Care at Home
Former president makes decision after series of hospital stays
- Former President Jimmy Carter will begin receiving hospital care at his Georgia home, the Carter Center announced Saturday. The statement said he made the decision after a series of brief stays in the hospital, ABC News reports, without specifying any ailments. Carter has chosen "to spend his remaining time...
Other Presidents Sound
All-Clear on Classified Records
Jan 25, 2023 5:30 PM CST
Other Presidents Sound All-Clear on Classified Records
Obama, Clinton staffs say documents were turned over to National Archives
- With out-of-place classified documents now unearthed in several states and offices, a couple of former presidents made clear Wednesday that there's nothing to find in their garages or studies. The staffs of former Presidents Barack Obama and Bill Clinton told the Hill on Wednesday that all classified material in...
We're Closer Than Ever to
Realizing Jimmy Carter's Dream
Jan 25, 2023 10:24 AM CST
We're Closer Than Ever to Realizing Jimmy Carter's Dream
Only 13 cases of Guinea worm disease were reported in 2022
- The planet got incrementally closer to eradicating Guinea worm disease last year. The Carter Center on Tuesday announced there were just 13 cases of the disease reported worldwide in 2022, down two from the year prior for a 13% drop (the initial count of 14 was later confirmed to be...
Celebrates 98th Birthday
Oct 1, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
Longest-Living President Celebrates 98th Birthday
Jimmy Carter, who grandson says is still 'with it,' receives calls and callers at home
- Former President Jimmy Carter marked his 98th birthday Saturday modestly, as usual, at home in Plains, Georgia. "Friends are calling, and family are around," said Jill Stuckey, superintendent of the Jimmy Carter National Historical Park, who visited the nation's longest-living president in the morning. "He is...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Chinese Chef in Hot Water Over Egg Fried Rice Video
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.