Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After 50 Years, a Roman
'Power Palace' Reopens
Sep 22, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
After 50 Years, a Roman 'Power Palace' Reopens
2K-year-old Domus Tiberiana, overlooking the Forum, has been undergoing restoration in Italy
- An ancient Roman imperial palazzo atop the city's Palatine Hill was reopened to tourists on Thursday, almost 50 years after its closure for restoration. The nearly 2,000-year-old Domus Tiberiana, a sprawling palace that was home to rulers in the ancient city's imperial period, allows for sweeping views...
This City Will Be the First
to Charge Day-Trippers
in case you missed it
Sep 10, 2023 4:35 PM CDT
This City Will Be the First to Charge Day-Trippers
Tourists in Venice, Italy, will be hit with proposed fee of $5.40 on certain days starting next spring
- Venice, Italy, will be the first city in the world to charge its day-trippers, CNN reports. Starting next spring, the island city's authorities plan to charge visitors who aren't staying overnight as part of a 30-day experiment meant "to discourage daily tourism in certain periods, in line...
Protest Mass Tourism
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 9, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
Town Protest Mass Tourism
Hallstatt wants to cap visitor numbers
- Hallstatt is a gorgeous village located amid beautiful Alpine scenery in Upper Austria, and many of its residents would like you to stay away. The town, which sits next to a pristine lake, has fewer than 800 residents, who are far outnumbered by up to 10,000 visitors on busy...
Are at the Mercy
of Extreme Weather
Sep 3, 2023 12:10 PM CDT
Tourist Businesses Are at the Mercy of Extreme Weather
Owners find climate change has become a bigger factor than COVID
- For small businesses that rely on summer tourism, extreme weather is replacing the pandemic as the determining factor in how well a summer will go. The pandemic had its ups and downs for tourism, with a total shutdown followed by a rush of vacations due to pent-up demand. This year,...
Symbol of Vietnam
Tourism at Risk of Collapse
Aug 24, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
Symbol of Vietnam Tourism at Risk of Collapse
'Kissing rocks' of Ha Long Bay are eroding, due in part to nearby boats
- A key feature of Vietnam's famed Ha Long Bay could collapse if officials don't act to keep boats away. A recent report warns two favorite islets among the thousands of rainforest-topped limestone formations that dot the emerald bay are eroding, with tourists partly to blame, per the BBC...
Amsterdam Doesn't Want
More Cruise Tourists
Jul 21, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
Amsterdam Doesn't Want More Cruise Tourists
Cruise ships are being banned from city center
- Amsterdam is trying to reduce the number of tourists that visit the city—especially cruise ship tourists, who have been likened to a "plague of locusts" by city council member Ilana Rooderkerk. The council has voted to ban cruise ships from docking in the city center and to close...
Please Stop Traveling
Jul 11, 2023 4:24 PM CDT
Please Stop Traveling to Antarctica
Sara Clemence makes her case in the 'Atlantic'
- In the first part of her essay on Antarctica, Sara Clemence recounts its "otherworldly" beauty. But that's merely a prelude to a plea she then issues: Everybody should stop traveling there before the increasingly fragile continent is wrecked irreparably. In the
piece, she notes that Antarctica drew...
Ad Agency Sorry Tourism Video
Used 'Inappropriate' Images
Jul 3, 2023 9:03 AM CDT
Ad Agency Sorry Tourism Video Used 'Inappropriate' Images
Some 'Philippines' footage was actually from UAE, Brazil, and other nations, agency sheepishly admits
- There's nothing wrong with sharing a promotional video showing off your country's breathtaking rice terraces and sand dunes—unless, of course, those rice terraces and sand dunes aren't actually in your own country. That's what ad agency DDB Philippines is now apologizing for after it was...
Young British Men
to Bugger Off
Mar 29, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Amsterdam Tells Young British Men to Bugger Off
Ads warn young men against misbehaving in the city working to reframe its image
- Amsterdam is taking efforts to scrub away its party image to a new level, with ads suggesting it won't tolerate those descending on the city for a wild weekend. "Coming to Amsterdam for a messy night? Stay away," states an online ad showing a young man stumbling...
Tourism Agency Sorry
for Sexualizing City Name
Mar 22, 2023 2:15 PM CDT
Tourism Agency Sorry for Sexualizing City Name
Effort to embrace jokes about Regina, Saskatchewan, went awry
- Regina, capital of the Canadian province of Saskatchewan, knows all about the jokes on how the pronunciation of the city's name rhymes with "vagina." The
reports that a recent effort by a tourism organization to embrace the gag went awry, leading to accusations the campaign...
This State Wants Roasted
Chiles to Be Its Official Aroma
Feb 3, 2023 11:41 AM CST
This State Wants Roasted Chiles to Be Its Official Aroma
New Mexico would be first state to have an affiliated scent
- Every fall, the air in New Mexico is infused with the sweet, smoky scent of roasted chile peppers, a tradition that follows chile harvesting season. Now, a bunch of fifth-graders have spearheaded a campaign to deem that salivation-inducing bouquet as the scent of the Land of Enchantment, making it the...
Only One US City
Makes Top 10
Dec 17, 2022 9:30 AM CST
Only One US City Makes Top 10 Travel Destinations
New York squeaks in at No. 10 on Euromonitor International's list; Paris comes in at No. 1
- Recovery from the pandemic for the travel industry is a work in progress, but inbound arrivals around the world increased by more than 80% this year in terms of numbers of trips, CNN notes. That means people are breaking out their passports again, and some cities are drawing travelers in...
Here Are the Most Overrated
Tourist Spots in the US
Nov 5, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Here Are the Most Overrated Tourist Spots in the US
Plus, 10 underrated gems, courtesy of HawaiianIslands.com
- Looking to book your next getaway and take in the sights? If you've ever been disappointed during past visits to American tourist magnets, you might want to check out HawaiianIsland.com's list . The site analyzed upward of 17,000 Tripadvisor reviews for destinations in all 50 states, searching...
Look at Titanic
Sep 6, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
Footage Offers 'Unprecedented' Look at Titanic
First 8K video of shipwreck emerges; meanwhile, tourists are heading down to see it for $250K a pop
- An underwater tourism company has emerged with new footage of the wreckage of the RMS Titanic, and it's jaw-dropping in its clarity—the highest-quality recording of the ship since it sank during its 1912 maiden voyage. The haunting one-minute clip released to the public by OceanGate Expeditions, which has...
Mayor of Resort Town
Will Fine Bikini-Wearers
in case you missed it
Jul 16, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Mayor of Resort Town Will Fine Bikini-Wearers
At least, if they're walking around in Sorrento, Italy
- Tourists flock to the resort town of Sorrento, Italy, on the southwestern coast for its picturesque views. The mayor, however, is insisting that they cover up when they do so, reports Travel Weekly . Massimo Coppola has decreed that anyone walking around town in a bikini or without a shirt faces...
Arizona Town's Residents
Told to Stop Yelling at Tourists
Jul 15, 2022 9:24 AM CDT
Arizona Town's Residents Told to Stop Yelling at Tourists
Notes on cars are also a no-no, police in Jerome say
- Police in a old Arizona mining town that gets 1 million tourists annually are warning residents to stop yelling at visitors or they could face harassment charges. Jerome, population about 450, was once home to one of Arizona's largest copper mines and is now a hub for artists, the...
Opens Its Doors Again
Jun 10, 2022 6:12 AM CDT
Japan Cautiously Opens Its Doors Again
For now, only guided package tours will be allowed for foreign tourists
- Japan on Friday eased its borders for foreign tourists and began accepting visa applications, but only for those on guided package tours who are willing to follow mask-wearing and other anti-COVID measures as the country cautiously tries to balance business and infection worries. Friday is the first day to start...
Egypt's New Find Includes
May 30, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
Egypt's New Find Includes Well-Preserved Mummies
Recently unearthed antiquities date to 500 BC
- Egypt on Monday displayed a trove of ancient artifacts dating back 2,500 years that the country's antiquities authorities said were recently unearthed at the famed necropolis of Saqqara near Cairo. The artifacts were showcased at a makeshift exhibit at the feet of the Step Pyramid of Djoser in...
You Can Now Get Paid
to Get Married in Italy
Mar 1, 2022 1:57 PM CST
You Can Now Get Paid to Get Married in Italy
New initiative will refund couples $2,250 for Lazio-based wedding services in 2022
- The coronavirus pandemic has put a real damper on the wedding and tourism industries. But Italy is fighting back with a new $11 million initiative that aims to boost both industries while possibly funding your wedding. Any couple—Italian or foreign—who opt to marry or begin a civil union...
Shuttered in March 2020, Fiji
Celebrates a 'Momentous Day'
Dec 1, 2021 6:21 AM CST
Shuttered in March 2020, Fiji Celebrates a 'Momentous Day'
Fiji is once again open to tourists, for first time in nearly 2 years
- Since March 2020, the island nation of Fiji has had its doors shuttered to tourists, in an attempt to keep COVID from overwhelming the limited medical services available to its 1 million residents. On Wednesday, nearly two years after the tourism-dependent country's shutdown, locals once again started to welcome...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Big Tobacco Made Junk Food Addictive, Too
She Just Broke Marathon Record by 2 Minutes
This Time, Senator May Not Survive His Bribery Scandal
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.