Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
The Only Woman to Attend
Every Super Bowl Has Died
Jun 5, 2023 11:33 AM CDT
The Only Woman to Attend Every Super Bowl Has Died
Chiefs co-owner Norma Hunt died at 85, was a devotee of the game
- Norma Hunt, the second wife of the late Kansas City Chiefs founder Lamar Hunt and the only woman to attend every Super Bowl, has died. She was 85. The Hunt family, which still owns the franchise, announced the passing of the Chiefs' matriarch in a statement released by the team...
Change by Sunday
Oct 8, 2022 2:00 PM CDT
Goodell Won't Commit to Concussion Change by Sunday
Players union says it agreed to new protocol
- Commissioner Roger Goodell said Saturday the NFL expects to make "a change or two" to rules around concussions but did not commit to a revised protocol being in effect in time for Sunday's games, as the players union wants. Debate over the response to injuries has intensified since...
Aug 1, 2022 4:51 PM CDT
Browns QB Deshaun Watson Suspended for 'Egregious' Conduct
He's out for 6 games and banned from using non-club-directed massage therapy
This story has been updated with Robinson's remarks
. Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson was suspended for six games Monday after being accused by two dozen women in Texas of sexual misconduct during massage treatments, in what a disciplinary officer said was behavior "more egregious than any before reviewed...
House Panel to Subpoena
NFL Owner Over Accusations
Jun 22, 2022 6:30 PM CDT
House Panel to Subpoena NFL Owner Over Accusations
Daniel Snyder has declined to answer questions in toxic workplace investigation
- A congressional committee heard testimony Wednesday from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell about accusations that one of the league's owners, Daniel Snyder, fostered a toxic workplace environment rife with sexual harassment. The committee announced that it will subpoena the Commanders owner to provide a deposition next week. Snyder has declined...
Mar 29, 2022 8:21 AM CDT
NFL Unveils New Diversity Requirement
All teams required to have a female or minority offensive coach
- NFL teams will be required to employ a "female or a member of an ethnic or racial minority" as an offensive assistant coach for the upcoming season, according to diversity efforts announced Monday during annual owners meetings in Palm Beach, Fla. The league will reimburse teams up to $200,...
Gruden Sues NFL, Accuses
League of 'Malicious' Campaign
Nov 13, 2021 6:30 AM CST
Gruden Sues NFL, Accuses League of 'Malicious' Campaign
Former Raiders coach also names Commissioner Roger Goodell in his complaint
- Jon Gruden resigned last month as the coach of the Las Vegas Raiders after reports emerged about a series of emails in which he was said to have used racist, misogynistic, and homophobic language. Now, Gruden is suing the NFL and its commissioner, Roger Goodell, for leaking those emails to...
Jul 22, 2021 5:09 PM CDT
NFL Threatens Unvaccinated Players With Forfeits
If a COVID-19 outbreak disrupts the schedule, paychecks for game will be canceled
- An effort by Washington last month to persuade its players to be vaccinated against the coronavirus, by having an expert talk to the team, didn't go anywhere with defensive end Montez Sweat. He said afterward that he's "not a fan" of the vaccine,
NFL Fines Washington
$10M for Workplace Abuse
Jul 1, 2021 6:15 PM CDT
NFL Fines Washington $10M for Workplace Abuse
More than 100 female employees told of discrimination and harassment
- After investigating allegations that Washington's football team maintained an abusive workplace, the NFL fined the team $10 million on Thursday. The league said the money will go to organizations "committed to character education, anti-bullying, healthy relationships and related topics," CBS Sports reports. Washington also has to pay...
Says He's Gay
Jun 21, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
First Active NFL Player Says He's Gay
Raiders' Carl Nassib says he's agonized over announcement for years
- For the first time, an active NFL player has announced he's gay. "I just want to take a quick moment to say that I'm gay," Carl Nassib says in a video he posted Monday on Instagram, the
New York Times
reports. "Sadly, I have agonized...
NFL Owners Approve
Mar 30, 2021 6:05 PM CDT
NFL Owners Approve Expanded Season
League aims to have 17-game regular season played in full stadiums
- NFL owners have approved the first expansion of the regular season since it went from 14 games to 16 more than 40 years ago. In a long-expected decision, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced Tuesday that the regular season has now been expanded to 17 games, with three preseason games instead...
NFL Offers Biden All 30
Stadiums for Vaccinations
Feb 5, 2021 4:14 PM CST
NFL Offers Biden All 30 Stadiums for Vaccinations
Many already have been used for coronavirus testing or voting
- The NFL has made the 30 stadiums its teams play in available for use as mass coronavirus vaccination sites. Commissioner Roger Goodell made the offer in a letter to President Biden on Thursday. Several teams already have let their stadiums do double duty during the pandemic, CNBC reports. "We...
7.5K Health Care Workers
Will Attend Super Bowl Free
Jan 22, 2021 2:40 PM CST
7.5K Health Care Workers Will Attend Super Bowl Free
One-third of the 22K fans at the game will be invited as a thank-you
- The NFL plans to admit 22,000 fans to watch the Super Bowl in person next month, roughly one-third of whom will be health care workers. The league announced Friday that 7,500 vaccinated health care workers will be given free tickets to the Feb. 7 championship game in Tampa...
Baseball Outbreak Is
Jul 28, 2020 6:21 AM CDT
Baseball Outbreak Is 'Off-the-Charts Bad'
Expert says he'd urge shutting Marlins down for two weeks
- A consensus has emerged since the coronavirus outbreak on the Miami Marlins that caused four MLB teams to sit out Monday. "This is bad, really bad, and it will get worse," Tim Brown writes on Yahoo Sports . "My level of concern went from an 8 to a...
Jul 3, 2020 1:02 PM CDT
NFL Team Takes Step Toward New Name
Owner has said it would never happen, but brands have told Washington to make a change
- After decades of saying they'll never change a team name considered by many to be a slur against Native Americans, the Washington Redskins announced Friday they'll reconsider. People familiar with the team's talks with NFL officials, including Commissioner Roger Goodell, said a process is being set up...
Goodell Finally Brings Up
the Elephant in the Room
Jun 16, 2020 11:15 AM CDT
Goodell Finally Brings Up the Elephant in the Room
NFL commissioner says 'I welcome' a team signing Colin Kaepernick
- Some people weren't thrilled that Roger Goodell's recent statement condemning racism and police brutality never brought up Colin Kaepernick, the quarterback who started that conversation in the NFL by kneeling as the national anthem played before games. Finally, Goodell is directly addressing the man whose name he neglected...
NFL to Speak
Up. They Got
Jun 6, 2020 6:00 AM CDT
Players Asked NFL to Speak Up. They Got Their Wish
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell condemns racism, police brutality—but no mention of Kap
- The ripple effects of the protests for George Floyd have made their way to the NFL. On Thursday, a roster of top players, including the Chiefs' Patrick Mahomes and the Texans' Deshaun Watson, made a short video imploring the league to speak up on racism and police brutality. On Friday,...
Reaction to Goodell's
Take on George
Jun 1, 2020 9:04 AM CDT
Reaction to Goodell's Take on George Floyd: 'Save the Bulls---'
Considering what happened with Colin Kaepernick, people aren't having commissioner's statement
- The NFL commissioner vowed over the weekend to work on the "systemic issues" driving people to demonstrate over George Floyd's death and that of other black Americans, but it didn't go over too well. In a statement posted Saturday, Roger Goodell offered his condolences to the Floyd...
While We Wait,
NFL Renews Madden
May 28, 2020 7:15 PM CDT
While We Wait, NFL Renews Madden
Electronics Arts keeps exclusive franchise till 2026
- There will not be competition in the field of simulation football video games for at least a few more years. The NFL, which is shut down during the pandemic, announced Thursday that it has extended its exclusive licensing agreement with Electronic Arts for the Madden NFL franchise. The Players Association...
Report: NFL Chief Has
Reduced Salary to $0
Apr 30, 2020 12:10 AM CDT
Report: NFL Chief Has Reduced Salary to $0
League is cutting pay, furloughing workers
- Commissioner Roger Goodell has reduced his salary to $0 and other NFL employees will be taking pay cuts or furloughs due to the coronavirus pandemic. Goodell, who makes upward of $30 million a year from salaries and bonuses, voluntarily had his salary reduced this month, a person familiar with the...
Joe Burrow Was First
Pick in Unusual NFL Draft
Apr 24, 2020 3:20 AM CDT
Joe Burrow Was First Pick in Unusual NFL Draft
Virtual event had relatively few glitches
- The Cincinnati Bengals selected Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Joe Burrow of LSU with the first pick in an unprecedented virtual NFL draft . The biggest drama on this night wasn’t who was going to be the No. 1 pick—Burrow sewed that up a long time ago—or how the top...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Police Raid Moscow Gay Bars After Anti-LGBTQ+ Ruling
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.