Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
FBI Spied on Aretha Franklin
Oct 12, 2022 4:24 PM CDT
FBI Spied on Aretha Franklin
During civil rights movement, agency looked for connections to Black Panthers
- Spying on the leaders and organizers of the civil rights movement was a regular FBI practice, but a recently released file shows the extent of the surveillance of Black entertainers, including singer Aretha Franklin. Comedian Dick Gregory and singer Harry Belafonte were being monitored as well, the
New York Times
New Wrinkle in
in case you missed it
Mar 14, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
There's a New Wrinkle in Aretha Franklin's Estate Battle
A 4th will emerges, dated not long before her 2018 death but typed and unsigned
- Remember when it was thought Aretha Franklin didn't leave a will behind when she died, only for three handwritten wills to emerge shortly thereafter? Add a fourth one to the pile—although this one isn't handwritten and doesn't have her signature on it. On Tuesday, the
Aug 24, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
Aretha Franklin Left Nearly $1M in Uncashed Checks
Obama asks for something of the singer's
- A year after Aretha Franklin died, court documents portray a confused estate case. She had left no will, and then three were found. At least one of the singer's four sons says there still hasn't been a complete inventory of the state provided to her heirs. Now, nearly...
Aretha Franklin's Estate
Joins Push on Rare Cancer
Aug 19, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
Aretha Franklin's Estate Joins Push on Rare Cancer
New fund in her name will research rare kind of pancreatic disease
- Aretha Franklin was famously private about her ailing health in her final years, but now her estate is joining the fight against the rare illness that claimed her life . The Aretha Franklin Fund for Neuroendocrine Cancer Research is now up and running, reports the
Detroit Free Press
. It's actually...
Will by Aretha
May 22, 2019 11:16 AM CDT
Handwritten Will by Aretha Reveals a Surprise
The father of her first child wasn't who everyone thought
- When Aretha Franklin died, the initial word was that she didn't leave a will . That changed in a big way with the discovery of not one, not two, but three handwritten wills in her home. The big questions now are whether they're real and, if so, whether they'...
Will Found Under
May 21, 2019 9:20 AM CDT
Will Found Under Aretha Franklin's Couch Cushions
2 others were found as well, but it's not clear if any are legal
- Three wills have been found in the suburban Detroit home of Aretha Franklin nearly a year after her death, including one that was discovered under cushions in the living room, a lawyer said Monday. Franklin was 76 when she died last August of pancreatic cancer. Lawyers and family members said...
Pulitzers Go to Books About
2 Giants of American History
Apr 15, 2019 4:38 PM CDT
Pulitzers Go to Books About 2 Giants of American History
Works on Frederick Douglass and Alain Locke recognized
- Aretha Franklin received an honorary Pulitzer Prize on Monday, as judges praised the Queen of Soul "for her indelible contribution to American music and culture." Franklin, who died last summer, was the first woman singled out for an honorary Pulitzer, which has been given to Bob Dylan and...
Aretha's Family: Pastor's
Eulogy Was 'Very Distasteful'
Sep 4, 2018 8:07 AM CDT
Aretha's Family: Pastor's Eulogy Was 'Very Distasteful'
Rev. Jasper Williams Jr. spoke for 50 minutes
- As far as eulogies go, Aretha Franklin got a crummy one, at least according to her family. "He spoke for 50 minutes and at no time did he properly eulogize her," said the late singer's nephew regarding the Rev. Jasper Williams Jr. "We found the comments...
Aretha 'Didn't Get
Making a Will
Sep 2, 2018 9:48 AM CDT
Aretha 'Didn't Get Around to' Making a Will
That could make things difficult for her heirs
- Aretha Franklin was so hard-nosed in her business dealings that she demanded to be paid in cash before performing. Her heirs won't have it so simple. Though she lived to 76 and was terminally ill with pancreatic cancer, the Queen of Soul died without a will, the AP reports....
Bishop at Aretha Service
Apologizes to Ariana
Sep 1, 2018 7:16 AM CDT
Bishop at Aretha Service Apologizes to Ariana
Critics accuse Charles Ellis of a public grope, but he says it was innocent
- The bishop who officiated Aretha Franklin's funeral apologized Friday to Ariana Grande for how he touched her onstage and a joke he made about her name, per the AP . Bishop Charles H. Ellis III led Franklin's funeral and awkwardly greeted Grande on stage after she performed "(You...
Bill Clinton Finds Unique Way
to Remember Aretha at Funeral
Aug 31, 2018 2:01 PM CDT
Bill Clinton Finds Unique Way to Remember Aretha at Funeral
He uses his phone to play one of her songs into the mic
- Aretha Franklin was receiving a sendoff fitting for a woman known as the Queen of Soul on Friday. Scores of big names from the world of entertainment and politics joined family and friends at her funeral at Greater Grace Temple in Detroit. Ariana Grande sang "(You Make Me Feel...
on Aretha's Estate
Aug 22, 2018 8:51 AM CDT
'Surprising' Swerve on Aretha's Estate
Franklin may not have left a will or trust, her longtime attorney says
- Nearly a week after her death from advanced pancreatic cancer at the age of 76, more details are emerging about Aretha Franklin's assets. One of the more notable tidbits, per her longtime attorney: The legendary performer may have left no will or trust behind. "I was after her...
Madonna Says Panned Aretha
Speech Was Not a Tribute
Aug 21, 2018 3:58 PM CDT
Madonna Says Panned Aretha Speech Was Not a Tribute
Madge says MTV asked her to share an anecdote about the Queen of Soul
- Madonna has responded to widespread criticism of the "tribute" she made to Aretha Franklin at Monday night's MTV Video Music Awards. Per Entertainment Weekly , Madge explained on Instagram that she was asked by the network to share an anecdote with the audience while presenting this year's video...
Best Moments From the VMAs
Aug 21, 2018 4:17 AM CDT
Best Moments From the VMAs
J.Lo got emotional; Madonna rambled
- With most of music industry's top acts absent, the two-hour MTV Video Music Awards lacked star power and felt flat—and it was up to a pop veteran to bring the house down. Jennifer Lopez, who earned the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award for lifetime achievement, provided the...
Cops: Man Shot After
Aretha Franklin Argument
Aug 17, 2018 12:27 AM CDT
Cops: Man Shot After Aretha Franklin Argument
Pair in barbershop disagreed about who was starring in upcoming biopic
- Fans mourned Aretha Franklin all around the world Thursday—including in a barbershop in Suffolk, Va., where a discussion of the Queen of Soul turned violent. Witnesses say that after an argument over whether Halle Berry had played or was going to play Franklin in a biopic turned violent, Michael...
The 'Queen of Soul'
Is Dead at 76
Aug 16, 2018 9:10 AM CDT
The 'Queen of Soul' Is Dead at 76
Aretha Franklin had been ill for a while
- Aretha Franklin, the undisputed "Queen of Soul" who sang with matchless style on such classics as "Think," ''I Say a Little Prayer," and her signature song, " Respect ," and who stood as a cultural icon around the globe, has died at age 76...
Reports: 'Queen of Soul'
Is Near Death
Aug 13, 2018 9:45 AM CDT
Reports: 'Queen of Soul' Is Near Death
Aretha Franklin, 76, said to be 'gravely ill'
- Rumors of serious health trouble have circulated about Aretha Franklin for years , and now multiple reports say the 76-year-old is near death. "I am so saddened to report that the Queen of Soul and my good friend, Aretha Franklin is gravely ill," tweets Evrod Cassimy of WDIV in...
Aretha in Weird Feud With
Dionne Over Whitney Houston
Apr 27, 2017 10:01 AM CDT
Aretha in Weird Feud With Dionne Over Whitney Houston
Franklin unhappy Warwick said she was Houston's godmother
- Aretha Franklin is coming out swinging against fellow legend Dionne Warwick, accusing her of making up a story that Franklin was Whitney Houston's godmother, even though the alleged offense happened five years ago. "She blatantly lied on me ... fully well knowing what she was doing," Franklin said...
to 4.5 Minutes
Nov 25, 2016 7:24 AM CST
Aretha Franklin Stretches the National Anthem to 4.5 Minutes
It was a 'church spiritual'
- Americans were reminded of one more thing to be thankful for on Thursday: Aretha Franklin. In what caused a "Twitter meltdown," per CBS Sports , Franklin sang the national anthem ahead of the Detroit Lions' game against the Minnesota Vikings and stretched the song into an incredible "4-minute,...
Aretha Franklin Sued
Over Unpaid Condo Fees
Oct 28, 2015 10:00 AM CDT
Aretha Franklin Sued Over Unpaid Condo Fees
She says she's been 'overcharged for years'
- Aretha Franklin is being sued over unpaid homeowner fees at a condominium in suburban Detroit. The Hills of Lone Pine Association says it's owed some $11,563. The
reports that the condo association has filed a lawsuit to try to foreclose on the Queen of Soul's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Missing Monkeys Found in Abandoned Home
Woman Allegedly Killed Lookalike She Found on Instagram
TikTok Trend Leads to More Bad News for Kia, Hyundai Owners
She Cooked and Ate a Great White. Now, a Hefty Fine
CEO Sorry for 'All Time Classic Bad' Layoff Memo
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.