Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
for Posh Party?
Dec 5, 2016 11:37 AM CST
Thiel's Costume for Posh Party? Hulk Hogan, per Sources
Trump, campaign manager Kellyanne Conway were also in attendance
- Hulk Hogan, with funding from frequent Gawker target Peter Thiel, helped bring the media group to bankruptcy via his sex-tape lawsuit, so Thiel's choice of costume at a posh Long Island party might not be terribly surprising: He reportedly dressed as the Hulkster on Saturday night, when the PayPal...
Gawker, Hulk Hogan
Settle Lawsuit for $31M
Nov 2, 2016 2:48 PM CDT
Gawker, Hulk Hogan Settle Lawsuit for $31M
'Hulk Hogan's retirement will be comfortable'
- Hulk Hogan has settled with the smoldering ashes of Gawker Media for $31 million, CNN reports. Gawker was appealing the $140 million a jury awarded Hogan earlier this year. "The saga is over," Gawker founder Nick Denton says. "Hulk Hogan's retirement will be comfortable." Hogan'...
Univision Buys Gawker for $135M
Aug 16, 2016 6:52 PM CDT
Univision Buys Gawker for $135M
The bankrupt media company was up for auction Tuesday
- It appears the bankrupt Gawker has a new owner: Univision. The company best known for Spanish-language television bought Gawker Tuesday at auction for $135 million, the
New York Times
reports. The online media company was forced to put itself up for sale after Hulk Hogan and tech billionaire Peter Thiel...
Files for Bankruptcy
Aug 1, 2016 1:23 PM CDT
Gawker Founder Files for Bankruptcy
Nick Denton owes Hulk Hogan $125M
- Gawker founder Nick Denton filed for personal bankruptcy Monday amid the website's battle with Hulk Hogan. Denton listed $10 million to $50 million in assets and $100 million to $500 million in debts, the
New York Post
reports; Denton owes Hogan $125 million after a jury sided with the...
File Its Own
Jun 11, 2016 2:27 PM CDT
Gawker May File Its Own Suit Against Peter Thiel
He spent $10M funding lawsuits against them
- Well, it looks like Gawker won't be going down without a fight.
reports Gawker Media is looking into suing billionaire archenemy Peter Thiel. Thiel claims he spent about $10 million funding multiple lawsuits against Gawker—including Hulk Hogan's incredibly successful one—in an effort to punish the...
for Sale After
Jun 10, 2016 12:54 PM CDT
Gawker for Sale After Declaring Bankruptcy
And Gawker-hater Peter Thiel is 'closer to his goal'
- Gawker Media—responsible for blogs like Deadspin, io9, and Jezebel—filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy Friday as a result of Hulk Hogan's successful lawsuit against it, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. According to Recode , Gawker will be put up for auction, with the first bid coming in at less...
Mocked by Gawker
May 31, 2016 9:46 AM CDT
Writer Mercilessly Mocked by Gawker Defends Gawker
Stephen Marche stands up for website
- Gawker loves to mock
columnist Stephen Marche, as he himself points out in the pages of the
New York Times
. Among other things, he's made the site's list of the "worst 100 white men" in history, as well as its roundup of "least important writers....
Gawker Just Got
Its Own Billionaire
Backer in Hulk
May 28, 2016 10:03 AM CDT
Gawker Just Got Its Own Billionaire Backer in Hulk Hogan Trial
Hogan vs. Gawker is essentially now PayPal vs. eBay
- Hulk Hogan's ongoing lawsuit against Gawker is starting to look a lot like a game of Rock'em Sock'em Robots with two tech billionaires at the controls. On Thursday, PayPal cofounder Peter Thiel admitted to secretly funding Hogan's lawsuit to the tune of $10 million. Reuters reports...
Admits Plan to
May 26, 2016 6:28 AM CDT
PayPal Founder Admits Plan to Kill Gawker
It's about sticking up for the little guy: Peter Thiel
- Peter Thiel admits he spent around $10 million to fund lawsuits against Gawker in the hope of ruining the media company—and it's "one of my greater philanthropic things that I've done." But "it's less about revenge and more about specific deterrence," the...
Still Has to Pay
Hulk Hogan $140M
May 25, 2016 1:40 PM CDT
Judge: Gawker Still Has to Pay Hulk Hogan $140M
She declined to order a new trial or reduce the jury's verdict
- Well, it looks like Gawker still owes Hulk Hogan $140 million. On Wednesday, a Florida circuit court judge declined to order a new trial or change the jury's verdict in Hogan's lawsuit against the media company, according to the
. Gawker's attorney had asked the judge...
May Be Behind
May 25, 2016 6:48 AM CDT
PayPal Founder May Be Behind Legal Attack on Gawker
Peter Thiel reportedly funding Hulk Hogan's lawsuit
- The founder of PayPal has long made clear that he hates Gawker. Now
reports that Peter Thiel is using his billions to fund a potentially devastating legal fight against the media group. Specifically, the report says Thiel has been secretly funding Hulk Hogan's lawsuits against Gawker over the...
Hulk Hogan Is
Suing Gawker Again
May 2, 2016 4:55 PM CDT
Hulk Hogan Is Suing Gawker Again
What a mess
- Hulk Hogan won $140 million after suing Gawker for publishing a portion of a sex tape starring him, but he's not done: On Monday, he filed another suit against the website and other entities. This time, he's suing because, he says, an extended transcript of the full sex...
the Hulk Hogan
Mar 20, 2016 11:33 AM CDT
What Does the Hulk Hogan Verdict Mean?
Case will need to be upheld to set precedent, but privacy advocates could gain momentum
- Hulk Hogan on Friday won an eye-popping $115 million from Gawker Media for publishing a sex tape—more than he sought and what Ars Technica called a potentially "life-threatening event" for Gawker—but what are the real implications for celebrity privacy and for media freedom? The short answer, legally...
Hulk Hogan Gets
$115M in Gawker
Sex Tape Lawsuit
Mar 18, 2016 6:50 PM CDT
Hulk Hogan Gets $115M in Gawker Sex Tape Lawsuit
Is it the end of Gawker?
- Former professional wrestler Hulk Hogan was awarded $115 million by a jury Friday in his lawsuit against Gawker, which published a sex tape featuring the Hulkster in 2012, the AP reports. It's $15 million more than he was asking. According to Ars Technica , which points out punitive damages could...
Hulk Hogan Trial
Targets 'News Value'
of His Privates
Mar 14, 2016 6:00 PM CDT
Hulk Hogan Trial Targets 'News Value' of His Privates
AJ Daulerio admits wrestler's genitals aren't newsworthy
- Former Gawker editor AJ Daulerio took the stand Monday in the trial over the website's publication of the Hulk Hogan sex tape, and during what the
calls "heated" questioning toward the end of his testimony, this exchange between Daulerio and one of the lawyers for Hogan...
Mar 9, 2016 3:48 PM CST
Former Gawker Editor Has Disturbing Answer on Sex Tapes
How young is too young to publish? 'Four'
- Hulk Hogan is suing Gawker for publishing a sex tape that shows the wrestler with his best friend's wife, and in court Wednesday, the former editor-in-chief of Gawker had a disturbing answer when asked about his policy on sex tapes. In a taped deposition shown to jurors, Hogan's...
for Racist Rant
Jul 24, 2015 12:52 PM CDT
Hulk Hogan Apologizes for Racist Rant
Says offensive language he used in audio clip 'is not who I am'
- A tweet posted last night by Hulk Hogan seemed to portend serious news: "In the storm I release control, God and his Universe will sail me where he wants me to be, one love. HH." That news was revealed by a WWE statement issued this morning, per
1st Male Celeb
Oct 5, 2014 11:42 AM CDT
Nude-Photo Hackers Hit 1st Male Celeb
Hulk Hogan's son Nick targeted in 4th round of photos
- The hackers who bombarded the Internet with naked photos of hundreds of celebrities ranging from Jennifer Lawrence to Kim Kardashian have released their fourth round and it is notable for a couple of reasons. First, as TMZ reports, they've at last targeted their first male victim in Nick Hogan,...
Apr 20, 2013 8:28 PM CDT
27 Celebs' Real Names
Does Vincent Damon Furnier sound like a rocker's name?
- Alice Cooper wasn't actually born with his female-sounding name; his parents dubbed him Vincent Damon Furnier. Radar lists the real names of 26 more stars:
: Carlos Ray
: Gordon Sumner
: Issur Danielovitch
: Alicia Christian Foster
: Terry Jean Bollette
Did Hulk Hogan
Leak His Own
Oct 16, 2012 8:52 AM CDT
Did Hulk Hogan Leak His Own Sex Tape?
Love Sponge claims he did as wrestler sues for $100M+
- Hulk Hogan is indeed suing over his leaked sex tape , and for a big number: more than $100 million. The wrestler is going after Bubba the Love Sponge and his ex-wife , who he says recorded him in the act without his permission, as well as Gawker, which made the video...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Says McConnell Has 'Death Wish,' Insults His Wife
Ruling on Naomi Judd Death Probe Sees a 180
A $1.2B Ship Was Destroyed. Now, a Sailor Hears His Fate
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
A Daughter Changes Her Mind About Zodiac Killer's Identity
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.