Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Won't Be Subjected to
Lethal Injection Again
Nov 30, 2022 8:51 AM CST
'Execution Survivor' Won't Be Subjected to Lethal Injection Again
Any future effort to execute Alan Eugene Miller will be done by nitrogen hypoxia
- Alabama won't seek another lethal injection date for an inmate whose Sept. 22 execution had been halted because of problems establishing an intravenous line, according to the terms of a settlement agreement approved by US District Judge R. Austin Huffaker Jr. on Tuesday. The state agreed to never use...
on an Execution,
and Suffered for It
Nov 25, 2022 2:50 PM CST
They Worked on an Execution, and Suffered for It
Those who saw a prison execution tell NPR they do not support the death penalty
- Four executions were carried out in the US this week . While the names of the condemned and some of the details of their final moments are known, there's an entire group of people that the same can't be said for: those who prepare for and carry out the...
Scheduled Execution Takes
Several Twists and Turns
Nov 18, 2022 12:36 AM CST
Scheduled Execution Takes Several Twists and Turns
Alabama ultimately called off the planned execution of Kenneth Smith
- An appellate court on Thursday night issued a stay halting the scheduled execution of Alabama inmate Kenneth Eugene Smith, and the state then appealed to the US Supreme Court—which vacated the stay, theoretically allowing the 57-year-old's lethal injection to proceed. But the SCOTUS decision was issued just hours...
Arizona Man Executed After
SCOTUS Rejects Appeal
Nov 16, 2022 1:53 PM CST
Arizona Man Executed After SCOTUS Rejects Appeal
'It’s all been said. Let it be done,' Murray Hooper told execution team
- An Arizona man convicted of murdering two people in 1980 was put to death Wednesday in the state’s third execution since officials started carrying out the death penalty in May after a nearly eight-year hiatus. Murray Hooper, 76, died by lethal injection at the state prison in Florence for...
Texas Executes Man Who Killed
His Mom, Buried Her in Yard
Nov 10, 2022 12:20 AM CST
Texas Executes Man Who Killed His Mom, Buried Her in Yard
Tracy Beatty's lawyers had argued his mental illness history should rule out death penalty
- A man who killed his mother and buried her body in her backyard was executed Wednesday in Texas despite his lawyers’ appeals that he should not be put to death because he had a history of mental illness, the AP reports. Tracy Beatty, 61, received a lethal injection at the...
Death Row Inmate Says He's
Innocent, and Winfrey Agrees
Oct 31, 2022 6:30 PM CDT
Death Row Inmate Says He's Innocent, and Winfrey Agrees
Court's decision on Jarvis Jay Masters' appeal is expected any day
- This isn't the first time Jarvis Jay Masters has been forced to wait while a judge decides his fate. According to Kevin Rector of the
Los Angeles Times
, Masters has launched several unsuccessful appeals to overturn his conviction and death sentence for the 1985 murder of corrections officer Hal...
Alabama Prison Botches
Another Lethal Injection
Oct 10, 2022 6:20 PM CDT
Alabama Prison Botches Another Lethal Injection
Alan Eugene Miller previously sued the state for failing to use his chosen method of execution
- Alan Eugene Miller is now America’s only living execution survivor, according to the
Elizabeth Bruenig, who was present at Alabama's Holman prison Sept. 22 with the expectation of witnessing Miller’s execution. Instead, Bruenig was present for yet another botched execution, Alabama’s second of the...
Death Row Inmate Is Author
of Oprah's New Book Pick
Sep 13, 2022 11:28 AM CDT
Death Row Inmate Is Author of Oprah's New Book Pick
Winfrey selects 'That Bird Has My Wings' by Jarvis Jay Masters
- Oprah Winfrey has selected a prison memoir by Jarvis Jay Masters, currently on death row in San Quentin State Prison in California, for her latest book club pick. Masters'
That Bird Has My Wings: The Autobiography of an Innocent Man on Death Row
was first published in 2009. Activists for...
Inmate Had No Last Words,
Which Some See as Suspicious
Aug 30, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Inmate Had No Last Words, Which Some See as Suspicious
Private autopsy suggests Joe Nathan James Jr.'s arm may have been cut to find a vein
- An anti-death penalty group alleges that Alabama corrections officials apparently botched an inmate's execution last month, citing the length of time that passed before the prisoner received the lethal injection and a private autopsy indicating his arm may have been cut to find a vein. Joe Nathan James Jr....
His 4th Execution Date Is Set
Even as New Evidence Surfaces
Aug 12, 2022 1:04 PM CDT
His 4th Execution Date Is Set Even as New Evidence Surfaces
Oklahoma lawmakers push for new hearing for death row inmate Richard Glossip
- In June, an outside law firm hired to review a murder case that landed a man on death row in Oklahoma concluded "no reasonable juror hearing the complete record would have convicted Richard Glossip of first-degree murder." Houston's Reed Smith found prosecutors had intentionally destroyed "key...
Family: He Killed Our Mom.
His Execution Was 'Tragic'
Jul 29, 2022 7:22 AM CDT
Family: He Killed Our Mom. His Execution Was 'Tragic'
Alabama executes Joe Nathan James Jr. for 1994 murder of Faith Hall
- An Alabama inmate convicted of killing his former girlfriend decades ago was executed Thursday night despite pleas from the victim's family to spare his life . Joe Nathan James Jr. received a lethal injection at a south Alabama prison after the US Supreme Court denied his request for a stay,...
of Slain Woman Want
Mercy for Her Killer
Jul 27, 2022 3:00 AM CDT
Daughters, Brother of Slain Woman Want Mercy for Her Killer
They've asked Alabama governor to stop the execution
- Terryln Hall was just 6 years old when her mother, Faith, was fatally shot by a former boyfriend. Now, nearly 30 years later, Hall and her sister—along with their uncle—oppose Alabama’s plan to execute the man who killed their mother, the AP reports. Unless a judge or...
Man Set to Die in 8 Days
Wants to Donate Kidney First
Jul 5, 2022 4:26 PM CDT
Man Set to Die in 8 Days Wants to Donate Kidney First
Lawyers for Ramiro Gonzales request that his execution be delayed
- Ramiro Gonzales is scheduled to be put to death in Texas this month, but he's asking to push that date out so that he has time to first donate a kidney. The
reports the 39-year-old shot and killed 18-year-old Bridget Townsend in 2001 and has been on death...
Arizona Death Row Inmate
Won't Die in Gas Chamber
May 20, 2022 9:03 AM CDT
Arizona Death Row Inmate Won't Die in Gas Chamber
Frank Atwood is now scheduled to be executed by lethal injection
Arizona death-row inmate Frank Atwood had until 12:01am Friday to select whether he wanted to die via lethal injection or in the state's refurbished gas chamber. He declined to make a choice, so the state's default method—lethal injection—will be used on June 8. It...
'Zero to Singapore on This':
Disabled Man Is Hanged
Apr 27, 2022 3:30 AM CDT
'Zero to Singapore on This': Disabled Man Is Hanged
Nagaenthran K. Dharmalingam, 34, had been on death row for over a decade
- Singapore on Wednesday executed a mentally disabled Malaysian man condemned for a drug offense after a court dismissed a last-minute challenge from his mother and international pleas to spare him. Nagaenthran K. Dharmalingam, 34, had been on death row for over a decade after he was convicted of trafficking about...
Lawmaker in Lucio Call: 'You're
Going to Wake Up on Thursday'
Apr 26, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
Lawmaker in Lucio Call: 'You're Going to Wake Up on Thursday'
Phone call released between Jeff Leach, Texas mother of 14 after stay of execution announced
- One of the Texas lawmakers working hard behind the scenes to stop the execution of Melissa Lucio was the one who got to tell her about her stay on Monday, just two days before the 53-year-old mother of 14 was to be put to death, and KXAN now has audio...
For High-Profile Inmate on
Death Row, Time Is Short
Apr 25, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
For High-Profile Inmate on Death Row, Time Is Short
Melissa Lucio to be executed Wednesday despite big push for new trial
- Nearly half of the jurors who sentenced a Texas woman to die for the 2007 death of one of her 14 children have called for her upcoming execution to be halted and for her to get a new trial. Melissa Lucio, 52, is set to be executed Wednesday for the...
Texas Executes Its
Oldest Death Row Inmate
Apr 21, 2022 8:40 PM CDT
Texas Executes Its Oldest Death Row Inmate
As Tennessee issues temporary reprieve to an inmate there
- Texas’ oldest death row inmate was executed Thursday for killing a Houston police officer during a traffic stop nearly 32 years ago. Carl Wayne Buntion, 78, was executed at the state penitentiary in Huntsville. He was condemned for the June 1990 fatal shooting of Houston police officer James Irby, a...
in case you missed it
Apr 3, 2022 3:45 PM CDT
A Notable Death Row Inmate Weds
Richard Glossip marries for the second time in prison
- Anti-death penalty advocate Lea Rodger says she is keenly aware of the realities facing her and Richard Glossip, who she married Tuesday inside the Oklahoma State Penitentiary where he sits on death row. Glossip, 59, already has narrowly escaped execution three times and could be the next man Oklahoma puts...
Singapore Decides This
Disabled Man Must Hang
Mar 29, 2022 2:09 PM CDT
Singapore Decides This Disabled Man Must Hang
Nagaenthran K. Dharmalingam, whose IQ is 69, loses final appeal over drug smuggling
- A Malaysian man with a mental disability lost a final legal appeal Tuesday against his death sentence in Singapore and faces execution soon, a lawyer and rights activists said. Nagaenthran K. Dharmalingam has been on death row for more than a decade for trying to smuggle less than 1.5...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.