Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Science May Have a Remedy
for Your Fogged-Up Glasses
Dec 18, 2022 2:00 PM CST
Science May Have a Remedy for Your Fogged-Up Glasses
Researchers say an invisible, super-thin coating of gold could keep lenses heated, fogginess at bay
- If you wear eyeglasses, you're unwillingly part of a select club that experiences a particular annoyance whenever the weather gets cold or you have to don a face mask: glasses that fog up. Scientists out of Switzerland, however, are excited about what they say could be the solution to...
Pedestrian's Glasses Found in
State AG's Car After Fatal Crash
Feb 24, 2021 9:15 AM CST
Pedestrian's Glasses Found in State AG's Car After Fatal Crash
Jason Ravnsborg now facing possible impeachment in South Dakota
- "His face was in your windshield, Jason." That was among the commentary that South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg had to contend with during two interviews with law enforcement days after the Sept. 12 crash in which he struck and killed a pedestrian. Gov. Kristi Noem released videos...
State Tells Charity to Stop
Matching the Poor With Glasses
Jul 4, 2019 2:23 PM CDT
State Tells Charity to Stop Matching the Poor With Glasses
Licensed optometrist needs to be involved, Kentucky says
- A state board in Kentucky has told Kendall Optometry Ministry that it has to stop giving used prescription glasses to the poor that aren't precise prescriptions. Holland Kendall has been matching poor people with eyeglasses for 16 years, per Fox News , and says his program has helped thousands of...
Snap's Futuristic Sunglasses
Apparently a Massive Fail
Oct 24, 2017 11:50 AM CDT
Snap's Futuristic Sunglasses Apparently a Massive Fail
Hundreds of thousands of camera-fitted Spectacles said to be gathering dust in warehouses
- A misstep for Snap? Citing "two people close to the company," the Information reports hundreds of thousands of its camera-equipped Spectacles released last fall are sitting unused in warehouses because of low demand, despite CEO Evan Spiegel's recent claim that some 150,000 sales had surpassed company...
at Getting Glasses
Jul 14, 2015 8:37 AM CDT
Baby's Amazement at Getting Glasses Goes Viral
Piper Verdusco's grins are too cute
- Piper Verdusco can finally see clearly, and a "melt-your-heart" video that captures the first moments of her experiencing clear vision has itself been seen—nearly 25 million times. Mom Jessica Sinclair tells ABC News that she and her partner told the now-11-month-old's pediatrician that Piper's crawling seemed...
Correct Your Vision
Aug 18, 2014 5:25 PM CDT
How Smartphones Could Someday Correct Your Vision
MIT researchers develop 'vision correcting display'
- If you're blind as a bat with Coke-bottle glasses, there may be hope for you—new research out of MIT could make it easier to read your tablet, smartphone, or eReader, LiveScience reports. Scientists there have developed a transparent "vision-correcting display" that goes on the screen of an...
Google Glass Gets a New Look
Jan 28, 2014 11:13 AM CST
Google Glass Gets a New Look
Four titanium frames now available
- The Verge sums it up thusly: "Google Glass just got a lot less geeky." That's due to today's announcement of the Titanium Collection for Google Glass, a fashion-forward collection of four extra-light titanium frames that will offer an option to those with bad vision—or those...
Girl From Bullet
Dec 23, 2013 6:30 AM CST
Glasses May Have Saved Girl From Bullet
Alonza Bryant was hit on the spectacles' bridge
- Thank goodness for poor eyesight. A drive-by shooting unleashed a wave of bullets on a Seattle home Saturday night, police say, and one managed to hit the bridge of Alonza Bryant's glasses—breaking them but leaving her, amazingly, with just minor injuries. "I fell asleep with my glasses...
Mar 29, 2012 3:48 PM CDT
Court Trend: Defendants in Fake Glasses
Non-prescription eyewear makes clients look 'studious': lawyer
- A guy in glasses wouldn't hurt a fly, right? That's what some defense lawyers hope people believe when they tell their clients to wear specs to trial. These days, thick-framed non-prescription "hipster" glasses are all the rage in court, the
reports. "If you’re...
Will Push Info
to Your Eyes
Feb 22, 2012 8:54 AM CST
Google Glasses Will Push Info to Your Eyes
Forget reaching for your smartphone
- By the end of this year, you won't have to pull out your smartphone for directions while walking down the street: The information will be displayed directly in front of your very eyes, if you buy a pair of the glasses Google is developing. The Android-based glasses, which will...
For Gamers Too Tired
to Blink: 'Wink Glasses'
SHADES of SARAH PALIN
Oct 28, 2009 12:51 PM CDT
For Gamers Too Tired to Blink: 'Wink Glasses'
They come from the maker of Palin's stylish eyewear
- Maybe Sarah Palin—world-class winker that she is—inspired them: The maker of her stylish glasses has a new product for gamers too busy to blink. (Really.) Masunaga Optical's Wink Glasses have a sensor to keep track of blinks, and if they don't come quickly enough, the lenses fog...
Heirs Decry 'Immoral' Sale
of Gandhi's Stuff
Feb 16, 2009 7:13 AM CST
Heirs Decry 'Immoral' Sale of Gandhi's Stuff
'Insult' to India 'must be stopped,' says great-grandson
- Mahatma Gandhi’s heirs have slammed a New York auction of his few belongings, calling it “immoral,” the
reports. “It must be stopped," said Gandhi’s great-grandson. "It would be a grave insult to the nation if these items”—including sandals, pocket...
Palin's Glasses Are a Fashion Spectacle
Sep 11, 2008 1:13 PM CDT
Palin's Glasses Are a Fashion Spectacle
But is the focus on her look just sexist?
- Sarah Palin: Hockey mom, moose-hunter … trend setter?
says Palin's $375 designer glasses are “a style hit,” and opticians have been flooded with inquiries about the Kazuo Kawasaki 704s, reports the
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
. “It’s always been, ‘Men don’t make passes...
Fashionistas Sporting Specs,
Even With 20/20 Vision
Apr 26, 2008 6:08 PM CDT
Fashionistas Sporting Specs, Even With 20/20 Vision
The four-eyed look is in, experts say, but view is murky for Lasik surgery
- Eyeglasses are no longer just for the optically challenged: Fashionistas everywhere see them as the latest must-have (eye)piece and are stocking up on non-prescription glasses to match every outfit, the
Wall Street Journal
says. Seeing wasn’t believing for one man who underwent Lasik surgery but continues to sport his...
It's as Plain
as the Glasses on Your Face
Aug 27, 2007 5:08 PM CDT
It's as Plain as the Glasses on Your Face
Company puts a phone number—and a reward —on your lost specs
- Americans spent $445 million replacing lost eyeglasses last year; one small company aims to come to the rescue by selling tiny tubes of plastic that shrink unobtrusively onto the eyepiece of spectacles, carrying a code and a phone number. Finders of registered glasses get a small reward, while their owners...
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
McCarthy-Trump Relationship Is Back in the Headlines
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.