Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ky. Governor on Coal Plant
Collapse: 'The Scene Is Bad'
Nov 1, 2023 11:04 AM CDT
Ky. Governor on Coal Plant Collapse: 'The Scene Is Bad'
One of the 2 trapped men is dead, says Gov. Andy Beshear
- Two men working to demolish an 11-story building at an abandoned mine site in Martin County, Kentucky, became trapped Tuesday night when the building collapsed, and Gov. Andy Beshear announced Wednesday that at least one of the men is dead. The other man's condition is unknown. Workers are attempting...
Climate Talks End in a Deal
Without Altering Planet's Course
Nov 13, 2021 4:30 PM CST
Climate Talks End in a Deal Without Altering Planet's Course
Weakened wording on coal clears way for accord
- Negotiators from almost 200 nations reached an accord Saturday in the fight against climate change, acknowledging that the problem isn't solved but setting up another attempt at more dramatic action next year. The Glasgow summit did not achieve the central goal of agreeing on action to limit the warming...
Climate Rule Is Dead
Jun 19, 2019 12:02 PM CDT
Obama's Landmark Climate Rule Is Dead
EPA chief Andrew Wheeler signed replacement rule Wednesday
- The Trump administration on Wednesday completed one of its biggest rollbacks of environmental rules, replacing a landmark Obama-era effort that sought to wean the nation's electrical grid off coal-fired power plants and their climate-damaging pollution. EPA chief Andrew Wheeler, a former coal industry lobbyist, signed a replacement rule that...
Ex-NYC Mayor: Here's $500M,
Close Down All the Coal Plants
Jun 7, 2019 7:20 AM CDT
Ex-NYC Mayor: Here's $500M, Close Down All the Coal Plants
Michael Bloomberg wants all coal factories shut down by 2030 in clean energy push
- Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is plunging $500 million into an effort to close all of the nation's remaining coal plants by 2030 and put the US on track toward a 100% clean energy economy. The billionaire's investment in the Beyond Carbon initiative marks the largest...
Collapse in Seconds
Apr 27, 2019 11:27 AM CDT
Power-Plant Towers Collapse in Seconds
Massachusetts plant had burned coal since 1963
- In a matter of seconds, two 500-foot cooling towers from Massachusetts' last coal-fired power plant have been reduced to rubble, the AP reports. The controlled demolition went off as scheduled at 8am Saturday at the former Brayton Point Station in Somerset. Live video showed the giant towers along Mount Hope...
EPA: New Rule May Result
in More Premature Deaths
Aug 21, 2018 10:40 AM CDT
EPA: New Rule May Result in More Premature Deaths
'New York Times' looks into the fine print of new coal pollution rules
- President Trump visits West Virginia Tuesday, and it's a safe bet he'll be trumpeting the proposal his administration just unveiled to ease up on coal plants. The Affordable Clean Energy Rule would roll back an Obama-era plan on emissions deemed too heavy-handed by the Trump administration, reports the...
Trump's New Plan Upends
Obama Emissions Policy
Aug 19, 2018 3:23 PM CDT
Trump's New Plan Upends Obama Emissions Policy
And the coal industry won't be complaining
- For President Trump, federalism and climate policy just don't mix—a fact that has environmental experts in a state of high anxiety, the
reports. Trump plans to announce this week that each state can set its own own coal-emission standards (pending EPA approval) rather than follow the...
In Coal Country,
May 23, 2018 4:40 PM CDT
In Coal Country, a 'Slow-Rolling Disaster'
New studies show increase in numbers of miners with both early, advanced 'black lung disease'
- In what one epidemiologist calls a "slow-rolling disaster," a new set of studies presented at an American Thoracic Society conference this week offered glum news for coal miners. Per NPR , more Appalachian miners are plagued by both early- and late-stage pneumoconiosis , or "black lung disease," than...
Wins This Round
Feb 25, 2018 1:17 PM CST
John Oliver Wins This Round Against Coal Mogul
Judge dismisses Bob Murray's lawsuit
- In the battle of John Oliver vs. coal mogul Bob Murray, Oliver has come out on top in one big way. Murray sued Oliver for defamation over the late-night host's
Last Week Tonight
takedown of the coal industry in general and Murray in particular , but last week, a West...
North Korea Shipped
Weapons to Syria,
Feb 3, 2018 10:58 AM CST
North Korea Shipped Weapons to Syria, Myanmar: Report
Confidential UN report also states it made $200M off banned coal exports in 2017
- North Korea made nearly $200 million last year by violating UN sanctions and shipping coal to multiple countries, according to an exclusive Reuters report. But that's not all. A confidential report prepared by independent UN monitors and seen by Reuters on Friday also states North Korea supplied weapons—including...
At UN Climate Conference,
US Touts Coal
Nov 14, 2017 8:41 AM CST
At UN Climate Conference, US Touts Coal
Audience members in Bonn, Germany, weren't pleased
- A Trump administration panel touted coal and nuclear energy in its only official appearance at an 11-day United Nations climate conference in Germany on Monday—when it could get its message out over jeering protesters and audience members. "Without question, fossil fuels will continue to be used," though...
Cost the Biggest Obstacle
to 'Clean Coal'
Oct 9, 2017 7:32 PM CDT
Cost the Biggest Obstacle to 'Clean Coal'
The technology is there but the price is still too high
- Technology now in limited use removes about 90% of carbon dioxide from the smokestacks of coal-fired power plants, AP reports, but energy experts say cost remains the chief obstacle to bringing the "clean coal" touted by President Donald Trump into the mainstream. They cite recent advances in applying the...
'The War on Coal Is Over':
EPA Rolls Back Obama Plan
Oct 9, 2017 11:10 AM CDT
'The War on Coal Is Over': EPA Rolls Back Obama Plan
Scott Pruitt says previous White House exceeded authority with 'clean power plan'
- The Trump administration will abandon the Obama-era Clean Power Plan aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions, EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt said Monday. "The war on coal is over," he said, per the
New York Times
. Speaking in Kentucky coal country, Pruitt said he will sign a proposed rule...
US Hits North Korea
on Coal, Oil, and ... Statues
Aug 22, 2017 12:10 PM CDT
US Hits North Korea on Coal, Oil, and ... Statues
New sanctions penalize Chinese and Russian firms for dealing with Pyongyang
- The Treasury Department applied new sanctions Tuesday intended to squeeze North Korea even tighter. The sanctions were mostly against Chinese and Russian companies and individuals that the US accuses of conducting illegal business with Pyongyang and thus helping its nuclear weapons program, reports the
. The big hits were...
Coal Companies Seeking Help
From Energy Dept. Rejected
Aug 22, 2017 10:18 AM CDT
Coal Companies Seeking Help From Energy Dept. Rejected
One CEO says President Trump personally promised him relief
- The Trump administration has rejected a coal industry push to win a rarely used emergency order protecting coal-fired power plants, a decision contrary to what one coal executive said the president personally promised him, the AP reports. The Energy Department says it considered issuing the order sought by companies seeking...
Coal Museum Goes Solar
to Save on Energy Costs
Apr 7, 2017 1:01 PM CDT
Coal Museum Goes Solar to Save on Energy Costs
Kentucky facility raises eyebrows with decision
- Don't look to the Kentucky Coal Mining Museum to bring coal back. The museum is installing solar panels on its roof, part of a project aimed at lowering the energy costs of one of the city's largest electric customers, the AP reports. It's also a symbol of...
North Korea's Main Coal Buyer
Abruptly Pulls Out for 2017
Feb 20, 2017 3:40 PM CST
North Korea's Main Coal Buyer Abruptly Pulls Out for 2017
China is done buying for 2017 amid growing frustration with Pyongyang missile tests
- China on Sunday began a suspension of all coal imports from North Korea for the rest of the year as it increases pressure on its communist neighbor to give up its nuclear and ballistic missile programs, reports the AP . The ban is in line with UN Security Council sanctions imposed...
Jun 28, 2016 12:17 AM CDT
Oakland Bans Coal Shipments
Vote kills plan to ship Utah coal to Asia
- Oakland city officials have unanimously voted to ban the shipment of coal, sidelining a plan to transport Utah coal to Asia through a proposed marine terminal on an old army base, the AP reports. The proposed terminal is in West Oakland, a historically black neighborhood that's among the poorest...
Cruz Sweeps Wyoming
Apr 17, 2016 6:37 AM CDT
Cruz Sweeps Wyoming
Trump again shut out in a Western state
- Painstaking organization and in-person campaigning paid off again for Ted Cruz on Saturday as he nailed down all 14 delegates up for grabs at the Republican convention in Wyoming. The result leaves Donald Trump facing yet another loss in a string of defeats in Western states, reports the AP . Saturday'...
Obama Puts New Obstacle
in Coal Industry's Way
Jan 15, 2016 9:40 AM CST
Obama Puts New Obstacle in Coal Industry's Way
President to announce stop to new coal-mining leases on federal land
- During his SOTU address Tuesday, President Obama forewarned he'd "push to change the way we manage our oil and coal resources." Today, part of that blueprint is set to become more clear, with an expected announcement by the president to stop all new coal-mining leases on public...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.