Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Energy Department, Other
Agencies Hit by 'Intrusions'
Jun 16, 2023 9:09 AM CDT
Energy Department, Other Agencies Hit by 'Intrusions'
Ransomware attack that appears to have exploited a computer flaw has affected other groups globally
- The Department of Energy and multiple other federal agencies are the victims of a ransomware attack that has already hit businesses in the UK and elsewhere around the globe. The US Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, or CISA, is lending support to those agencies "that have experienced intrusions,"...
Journo at Center
of FBI Search
on Fox Leak
May 26, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
Report: Ex-Deadspin Journo at Center of FBI Search on Fox Leak
Per 'Tampa Bay Times,' agency searched home of Timothy Burke earlier this month in criminal probe
- In October, Kanye West sat down for a two-part interview with Fox News' Tucker Carlson, when the latter was still part of the network's prime-time lineup. Just days later, Vice's Motherboard published unseen clips from that interview, with even more eyebrow-raising snippets from the rapper, including antisemitic tropes...
Feds: Twitter Hacker Left
'Impressive Trail of Destruction'
May 10, 2023 7:44 AM CDT
Feds: Twitter Hacker Left 'Impressive Trail of Destruction'
UK man pleads guilty to scheme that targeted accounts of 130-plus names, including Musk, Biden
- A UK man arrested in Spain two summers ago and accused of hacking into the Twitter accounts of some big names—including the current owner of the platform himself—has pleaded guilty to the plot, which also involved the theft of a hefty amount of crypto. On Tuesday, the US...
Austrian Citizens Aren't
Going to Like This News
Jan 26, 2023 7:26 AM CST
Austrian Citizens Aren't Going to Like This News
Police say hacker took personal data for nearly every person living there, put it up for sale
- If you live in Austria, chances are good that some of your personal information is now accessible to criminals. That's because police have revealed that a suspect they nabbed in November got their hands on data for pretty much every Austrian citizen and put it up for sale on...
Another 'Malicious Intruder'
Jan 20, 2023 4:30 PM CST
Another 'Malicious Intruder' Strikes T-Mobile
Company says 37M customers had data stolen in November breach, including addresses and DOB
- The US wireless carrier T-Mobile said Thursday that an unidentified malicious intruder breached its network in late November and stole data on 37 million customers, including addresses, phone numbers, and dates of birth. T-Mobile said in a filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission that the breach was discovered...
Hackers to College Students:
'For You, It's a Sad Day'
Dec 20, 2022 3:27 PM CST
Hackers to College Students: 'For You, It's a Sad Day'
Knox College's ransomware attack represents 'escalation in the extortion market'
- Ransomware attacks against educational institutions are on the rise, with Illinois' Knox College becoming the latest victim. But as NBC News reports, this attack is unique as it "marks the first known case in which hackers used their access to contact students directly in order to intimidate them."...
Fast Company Hacked,
Racist Alerts Go Out
Sep 28, 2022 6:22 AM CDT
Fast Company Hacked, Racist Alerts Go Out
Media company's website remains down hours later
- Business publication Fast Company shut down its website Tuesday evening following a hack, which resulted in subscribers on Apple News receiving two racist push notifications. The company's main news website was also defaced, reports the
. A Fast Company rep later said its "content management system account...
Hacker: I've Got Source
Grand Theft Auto
Sep 20, 2022 8:23 AM CDT
Hacker: I've Got Source Code for
Grand Theft Auto
Rockstar Games is 'extremely disappointed' on leaked footage of upcoming version of video game
- Video game producer Rockstar Games said Monday that early development footage from the next version of its popular title
Grand Theft Auto
was stolen in the hack of its network. Someone claiming to be the hacker, posting on Telegram, dumped 90 video clips from the theft online on Sunday and...
Opened Door to Chain's Hack
Sep 18, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Easy-to-Guess Password Opened Door to Chain's Hack
Attackers of Holiday Inn's owner seem to have destroyed data for fun, not profit, which concerns experts
- Hackers said they roamed throughout the databases of the company that owns Holiday Inn, destroying data once they were thwarted in their attempt to launch a ransomware attack. The Intercontinental Hotels Group intrusion last week worried experts in a couple of ways, the BBC reports. The hackers were blocked at...
This Might Be the Biggest
Data Breach in History
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 9, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
This Might Be the Biggest Data Breach in History
Hackers claim they have records of 1B Chinese people, taken from a Shanghai police database
- Hackers claim to have obtained a trove of data on 1 billion Chinese people from a Shanghai police database in a leak that, if confirmed, could be one of the largest data breaches in history. In a post on the online hacking forum Breach Forums last week, someone using the...
FBI Points Finger at Well-Known
Group for Huge Crypto Heist
Apr 15, 2022 5:59 AM CDT
FBI Points Finger at Well-Known Group for Huge Crypto Heist
N. Korea's Lazarus, tied to 2014 Sony Pictures breach, is believed to be behind theft
It's a hack the BBC calls "likely one of the biggest ever to hit the crypto world," and US officials say it looks Lazarus was behind it. That's the hacker group thought to be controlled by North Korea's main intelligence agency and believed to...
He Single-Handedly Took
Down North Korea's Internet
Feb 12, 2022 5:20 PM CST
He Single-Handedly Took Down North Korea's Internet
'Wired' explains how a hacked hacker exacted revenge
- When a hacker gets hacked, how does he exact revenge? He hacks back, of course. A story at
recounts one such example of this truth that has a remarkable twist: It involves an American hacker who got ticked off at North Korea and single-handedly took down its internet. The...
Hack of News Corp
Is Blamed on China
Feb 4, 2022 1:06 PM CST
Hack of News Corp Is Blamed on China
Publisher of the 'Wall Street Journal' says journalist data was stolen
- News Corp, publisher of the
Wall Street Journal
, said Friday that hackers breached its system and stole data from journalists and other employees. A cybersecurity firm investigating the intrusion said Chinese intelligence-gathering was believed to be behind the operation, the AP reports. The news company, whose publications and businesses include...
Meet the 'Great Lost
Female Hacker of the 1980s'
Jan 29, 2022 8:15 AM CST
Meet the 'Great Lost Female Hacker of the 1980s'
Susy Thunder has had an interesting life, as the Verge explains
- Susan Headley—aka Susy Thunder—claims to be one of only three women to have slept with all four Beatles. Oh, but this is not a story about that phase of her life, when she was one of the better-known rock groupies in California in the late 1970s. No, the...
Free USB Drives
Could Be Costly
Jan 10, 2022 6:00 PM CST
Free USB Drives Could Be Costly
Hackers are loading malware and ransomware, hoping to fool users
- The gesture seems so thoughtful. A package apparently from the Department of Health and Human Services is sent to a workplace, with a note saying the USB drives inside have important information about COVID-19 guidelines. Or an Amazon "decorative gift box" arrives, containing a thank-you note, a bogus gift...
Tech Teams Rush to Plug
Software Hole Before Attacks
Dec 20, 2021 4:26 PM CST
Tech Teams Rush to Plug Software Hole Before Attacks
Hackers can use flaw to take over servers
- Criminal hackers and security experts are locked in a race over the vulnerability in Log4j software . Patches are being released, but the danger from the vulnerability has not yet passed, the
reports. When the number of sites, services, and devices at risk are added up, experts say, this...
Planned Parenthood Hack
Exposed 400K Patients' Data
Dec 2, 2021 8:32 AM CST
Planned Parenthood Hack Exposed 400K Patients' Data
Names, procedures of Los Angeles patients among information stolen
- One or more hackers acquired the names, birthdates, addresses, diagnoses, and procedures of some 400,000 patients of Planned Parenthood's Los Angeles branch in October, the organization revealed Wednesday. Someone accessed PPLA's network between Oct. 9 and Oct. 17, installed "malware/ransomware," and "exfiltrated" files, rep...
FBI Server Hacked As
100,000 Get Fake Emails
Nov 14, 2021 8:30 AM CST
FBI Server Hacked As 100,000 Get Fake Emails
Federal authorities aren't saying much
- At least 100,000 emails were sent from FBI servers in an apparent hack of the federal agencies servers. Per NBC News , the emails warned recipients that their information may be under attack from hacker Vinny Troia, who owns the cybersecurity company Night Lion Security. The emails reportedly also referenced...
US Charges Hackers, Seizes
About $6M in Ransom Funds
Nov 8, 2021 5:04 PM CST
US Charges Hackers, Seizes About $6M in Ransom Funds
A Russian and a Ukrainian believed to be REvil operatives were charged
The Justice Department has charged a Ukrainian man in connection with multiple ransomware attacks, including the July 2021 attack on Kaseya, according to a statement released today. It also seized about $6 million in ransom payments. The person who apparently took the payments, a Russian named Yevgeniy Polyanin, was...
New Trump Site
Oct 22, 2021 9:26 AM CDT
Hackers Invade New Trump Site Almost Immediately
Truth Social platform bombarded with fake accounts, pics of defecating pigs
- Donald Trump created Truth Social to "stand up to the tyranny of Big Tech," but the former president's new social media platform doesn't have the legs yet to stand up to hackers. Just a couple of hours after Trump on Wednesday introduced Truth Social and its...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
She Had a Day Job as a Baker. Then Came 'Mr. Big Stuff'
NFL Player Got Creative to Avoid Trash-Talk Penalties
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.