Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Kim Jong Un Celebrates
Satellite Launch With Daughter
Nov 24, 2023 7:40 AM CST
Kim Jong Un Celebrates Satellite Launch With Daughter
Kim Ju Ae is pictured by her father's side
- All those who attended a Thursday banquet to celebrate North Korea's first spy satellite reaching orbit "enthusiastically cheered, expressing thanks to the great father who finally ensured the successful launch," state media reported, per the
. The group included Kim Jong Un's young daughter. Photos show...
South: We'll Know Within Days
if North's Spy Satellite Works
Nov 23, 2023 8:10 AM CST
South: We'll Know Within Days if North's Spy Satellite Works
Spy agency says intelligence shows North Korea had help from Russia
- South Korea has concluded that Russian support likely enabled North Korea to put a spy satellite into orbit for the first time this week, and it should be clear in several days whether it is functioning properly, officials said Thursday. In a closed-door briefing, South Korea's spy agency cited...
North Korea: We
First Spy Satellite
Nov 21, 2023 12:25 PM CST
North Korea: We Launched Our First Spy Satellite
Kim Jong Un achieves a long-sought goal after two previous attempts failed
- North Korea claimed to have successfully placed a spy satellite into orbit with its third launch attempt this year, demonstrating the nation's determination to build a space-based surveillance system during protracted tensions with the United States. The North's claim could not immediately be independently confirmed, per the AP...
North Korea Gets Some Russian
Help in Latest Rocket Launch
Nov 21, 2023 7:48 AM CST
North Korea Gets Some Russian Help in Latest Rocket Launch
Another rocket launch after 2 failures, ostensibly to deploy a spy satellite
- North Korea has launched a rocket in what may be its third attempt to put a spy satellite into orbit, according to South Korea's military. A rocket was launched late Tuesday, the military in Seoul said, but no further details were immediately available, reports the AP . In North Korea'...
This Is an Unusual Way to
Defect to South Korea
Oct 24, 2023 11:48 AM CDT
This Is an Unusual Way to Defect to South Korea
4 suspected defectors from North Korea found in small wooden boat in South Korean waters
- Four North Koreans were found in a small wooden boat in South Korean waters on Tuesday in what's likely a rare case of North Koreans taking a risky sea voyage to flee to the South, Seoul officials said. More than 30,000 North Koreans have fled to South Korea...
US Soldier Who Crossed Into
North Korea Back in US Custody
Sep 27, 2023 6:38 AM CDT
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
Travis King's fate is not yet clear
- The US soldier who sprinted into North Korea across the heavily fortified border between the Koreas two months ago was released into American custody Wednesday, according to two officials. Earlier, North Korea said it would expel Pvt. Travis King—an announcement that surprised some observers who'd expected the North...
Kim's Parting Gifts
Include Bulletproof Vest
Sep 17, 2023 1:25 PM CDT
Kim's Parting Gifts Include Bulletproof Vest
South Korean president warns allies would answer tighter military ties between Russia, North Korea
- Kim Jong Un has stepped aboard his personal train for the slow trip home after six days of talks with Russian leaders and tours of military installations. A ceremony at a railway station in the far Eastern city of Artyom sent North Korea's ruler off Sunday to the strains...
for Russia's War
Sep 13, 2023 6:31 AM CDT
Kim Pledges 'Unconditional Support' for Russia's War
Wednesday's meeting in Russia's Far East suggests likelihood of a weapons deal
- Kim Jong Un vowed "full and unconditional support" for Russia's "just fight" during his summit with President Vladimir Putin on Wednesday, suggesting North Korea may well supply ammunition to the "special military operation" in Ukraine. Kim made the comments after touring launch pads with Putin at...
Kim Jong Un,
Sep 13, 2023 12:32 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un, Vladimir Putin Shake Hands
North Korean leader meets with Russian president
- Russian President Vladimir Putin and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un shook hands Wednesday as they launched their highly anticipated meeting at the Vostochny cosmodrome in Russia's far east. Kim's powerful sister, Kim Yo Jong, is there too. Hours before the meeting started, Pyongyang launched two short-range ballistic...
Kim Jong Un Has an
Way to Travel
Sep 12, 2023 8:53 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un Has an Unusual Preferred Way to Travel
North Korean leader's green and yellow train is well protected, but slow as a result
- As Kim Jung Un arrived in Russia on Tuesday for his first known trip outside North Korea in more than four years, all eyes were on Vladivostok's train station, rather than its airport. Kim arrived in Vladivostok on a "bulletproof" train that is both heavy and slow, with...
Kim Jong Un Arrives in
Russia for Putin Meeting
Sep 12, 2023 2:31 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un Arrives in Russia for Putin Meeting
Kim reportedly wants to trade munitions for aid, military tech
- North Korea's Kim Jong Un arrived in Russia on Tuesday for a meeting with President Vladimir Putin where they are expected to offer each other increased support in their escalating standoffs with the West, the AP reports. North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency said Kim boarded his...
North Korea Unveils
'Nuclear Attack Submarine'
Sep 8, 2023 6:46 AM CDT
North Korea Unveils 'Nuclear Attack Submarine'
It's based on Soviet-era technology, analysts say
- North Korea has unveiled what the government says is a "nuclear attack submarine" that extends the country's nuclear capabilities by "leaps and bounds." State media released photos of Kim Jong Un at a launch ceremony this week for the "Hero Kim Kun Ok," named...
Kim Jong Un, Putin Meeting
in Russia Soon: Reports
Sep 5, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un, Putin Meeting in Russia Soon: Reports
Leaders expected to discuss weapons, sources say
- A US official said Monday that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un may travel to Russia soon to meet with President Vladimir Putin as the Kremlin tries to acquire military equipment for use in its war in Ukraine, the AP reports. The official, who was not authorized to address the...
Putin, Kim Jong Un
Have Swapped Letters
Aug 30, 2023 12:35 PM CDT
US Intelligence: Putin, Kim Jong Un Have Swapped Letters
Russia is believed to be seeking North Korean arms
- The White House on Wednesday said that it has new intelligence that shows Vladimir Putin and Kim Jong Un have swapped letters as Russia looks to North Korea for munitions for the Ukraine war. National Security Council spokesman John Kirby detailed the latest finding just weeks after the White House...
Launch of Spy Satellite Failed
Again, North Korea Says
Aug 23, 2023 7:15 PM CDT
Launch of Spy Satellite Failed Again, North Korea Says
Space agency says it will try again in October
- North Korea said Thursday that its second attempt to launch a spy satellite failed but vowed to make a third attempt in October. The announcement followed a statement by South Korea's military that North Korea had launched a long-range rocket, the AP reports. The North's space agency said...
UN Official: North Koreans
Are Hungry, Desperate
Aug 17, 2023 6:30 PM CDT
UN Official: North Koreans Are Hungry, Desperate
Militarization, economic situation add to the toll, Security Council hears
- North Korea is increasing its repression of human rights, and people are becoming more desperate and reportedly starving in parts of the country as the economic situation worsens, the United Nations rights chief said Thursday. Volker Türk told the first open meeting of the UN Security Council since 2017...
North Korea: US Soldier
Fled Racial Discrimination
Aug 15, 2023 6:50 PM CDT
North Korea: US Soldier Fled Racial Discrimination
Travis King 'was disillusioned at the unequal American society,' state-run news agency says
- Travis King crossed into North Korea last month because he "harbored ill feeling against inhuman maltreatment and racial discrimination within the US Army," state-run news agency KCNA said Wednesday. The claim was Pyongyang's first official comment on the 23-year-old soldier since he crossed from South Korea without...
Report: Kim Wants
to 'Gird for a War'
Aug 10, 2023 8:26 AM CDT
Report: Kim Wants to 'Gird for a War'
North Korean leader is said to have fired his top general, wants more weapons and military drills
- Looks like Kim Jong Un is cleaning house and boosting his war prep. First, Gen. Pak Su Il, the nation's top general, was "dismissed" after about seven months on the job, per a KCNA report cited by Reuters . Pak, who served as chief of the General Staff, is...
As N. Korea
Jul 28, 2023 9:08 AM CDT
As N. Korea Displays Nukes, a Message From Putin
Russian leader thanked North for its 'firm support' amid Victory Day celebrations in Pyongyang
- Pyongyang hosted quite a military parade Thursday evening, complete with tens of thousands of spectators, a display of North Korea's nuclear weaponry , and delegates from Russia and China . The event, marking the 70th anniversary of the armistice that stopped the fighting in the Korean War, also saw a special...
Kim Shows Banned Missiles
to Russian Defense Chief
Jul 27, 2023 8:51 AM CDT
Kim Shows Banned Missiles to Russian Defense Chief
Some analysts see North Korea, Russia, China as reviving Cold War-era coalition
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un showed off his banned ballistic missiles to Russian defense minister Sergey Shoigu on Wednesday in a sign of just how closely aligned the two countries are becoming. Delegations led by Shoigu, the first Russian defense minister to visit North Korea since the fall of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Prosecutors: Inmate Stabbed Chauvin 22 Times
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.