Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 41 - 60 |
Kim Swaps Goodbye Letters
With South Korea's Moon
Apr 22, 2022 7:46 AM CDT
Kim Swaps Goodbye Letters With South Korea's Moon
He thanks outgoing South Korean president for working toward peace
- Kim Jong Un had warm parting words for his South Korean rival, whose government North Korean officials previously called idiotic. The AP reports the North Korean leader thanked President Moon Jae-in for working to improve relations between the two countries over his single five-year term, which will end May 10,...
FBI Points Finger at Well-Known
Group for Huge Crypto Heist
Apr 15, 2022 5:59 AM CDT
FBI Points Finger at Well-Known Group for Huge Crypto Heist
N. Korea's Lazarus, tied to 2014 Sony Pictures breach, is believed to be behind theft
It's a hack the BBC calls "likely one of the biggest ever to hit the crypto world," and US officials say it looks Lazarus was behind it. That's the hacker group thought to be controlled by North Korea's main intelligence agency and believed to...
North Korea's Famous
'Pink Lady' Is Rewarded
Apr 14, 2022 12:06 PM CDT
North Korea's Famous 'Pink Lady' Is Rewarded
Kim Jong Un just gave the veteran newsreader a new home
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has gifted a home to a broadcaster who's been a major voice of the ruling Workers' Party for the past 50 years. Ri Chun Hi, dubbed the "pink lady" for her pink, often traditional clothing, has reported some of the biggest news...
in Crypto Expert's
North Korea Case
Apr 13, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
'Justice Served' in Crypto Expert's North Korea Case
Virgil Griffith gets 5 years behind bars after presenting at crypto conference in Pyongyang
It's more than five years behind bars for Virgil Griffith, the hacker accused of helping North Korea evade US sanctions with his cryptocurrency tips. NBC News reports the 39-year-old received a 63-month prison sentence on Tuesday after pleading guilty last year to conspiracy; he admitted to presenting at...
Kim Jong Un's
to Go Nuclear
Apr 5, 2022 12:35 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un's Sister Threatens to Go Nuclear
Kim Yo Jong threatens South Korea for the 2nd time this week
For the second time this week, the powerful sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un berated South Korea for touting its supposed preemptive strike capabilities against the North, saying her country’s nuclear forces would annihilate the South’s conventional forces if provoked, the AP reports. In a...
S. Korea Says There
Was Something Fishy
About N. Korea Launch
Mar 31, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
S. Korea Says There Was Something Fishy About N. Korea Launch
Officials suspect Pyongyang fired older model of ICBM for propaganda win
- The intercontinental ballistic missile North Korea launched last week flew higher and farther than any of its predecessors, officials say—but not all was as it seemed, according to South Korea's defense ministry. Ministry officials told lawmakers that evidence strongly suggests North Korea fired an older Hwasong-15 missile, which...
Kim: ICBM We Fired Will
Make World Aware of Our Might
Mar 25, 2022 1:15 AM CDT
Kim: ICBM We Fired Will Make World Aware of Our Might
North Korean state media reports on the launch
- North Korea said Friday it test-fired its biggest-yet intercontinental ballistic missile under the orders of leader Kim Jong Un, who vowed to expand the North’s "nuclear war deterrent" while preparing for a "long-standing confrontation" with the US. The report by North Korean state media came a day...
North Korea's Latest Missile
Launch a 'Brazen Violation'
Mar 24, 2022 7:34 AM CDT
North Korea's Latest Missile Launch a 'Brazen Violation'
Nation reportedly fires off banned ICBM, raising alarm about potential to one day reach US mainland
- As President Biden traveled to Europe this week to hunker down with NATO leaders over the continuing crisis in Ukraine, another issue halfway around the globe emerged. According to Japanese and South Korean officials, North Korea on Thursday fired off a banned intercontinental ballistic missile, its first one since 2017,...
Latest North Korean
Launch Appears to
End in Failure
Mar 16, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Latest North Korean Launch Appears to End in Failure
It's not clear what was launched Wednesday morning
- North Korea’s latest weapons launch on Wednesday apparently ended in failure, South Korea’s military said, amid speculation that the North could soon launch its biggest long-range missile in its most significant provocation in years. It wasn’t immediately clear what North Korea launched on Wednesday morning or at...
US Prepares for Test
of North Korean Missile
Mar 10, 2022 6:10 PM CST
US Prepares for Test of North Korean Missile
Next launch of ICBM could be to determine its range
- North Korea is in the middle of testing a new intercontinental ballistic missile, US officials said Thursday, prompting an increase in the readiness level for American missile defense forces in Asia. The tests are being conducted openly this time, officials said, allowing them to prepare for what they expect to...
N. Korea Set to Launch
'a Lot' of Spy Satellites
Mar 10, 2022 9:03 AM CST
N. Korea Set to Launch 'a Lot' of Spy Satellites
Satellite images show new missile-launch activity at shuttered Punggye-ri nuclear testing site
- Kim Jong Un says North Korea will launch "a lot" of spy satellites to monitor military actions by the US and its allies, following condemnation of its recent missile launches. The leader, who made the announcement while inspecting the country's National Aerospace Development Administration on Thursday, said the...
He Single-Handedly Took
Down North Korea's Internet
Feb 12, 2022 5:20 PM CST
He Single-Handedly Took Down North Korea's Internet
'Wired' explains how a hacked hacker exacted revenge
- When a hacker gets hacked, how does he exact revenge? He hacks back, of course. A story at
recounts one such example of this truth that has a remarkable twist: It involves an American hacker who got ticked off at North Korea and single-handedly took down its internet. The...
UN: Cyberattacks Fund
North Korean Missiles
Feb 7, 2022 5:10 PM CST
UN: Cyberattacks Fund North Korean Missiles
Millions in cryptocurrency from exchanges go toward restricted systems
- A major source of funding for North Korea's government, especially its missile program, is theft, a UN report says. The investigation found that cyberattacks have netted millions in stolen cryptocurrency, the BBC reports, from at least three cryptocurrency exchanges in North America, Europe, and Asia. The findings have been...
North Korea Confirms It Tested
Missile That Could Reach Guam
Jan 31, 2022 3:31 AM CST
North Korea Confirms It Tested Missile That Could Reach Guam
The Hwasong-12 missile has a maximum range of 2,800 miles
- North Korea confirmed Monday it test-launched an intermediate-range ballistic missile capable of reaching the US territory of Guam, in what looks to be the North's most significant weapon launch since 2017. The official Korean Central News Agency said the purpose of the test was verifying the overall accuracy of...
Missile Test May Have Broken
a North Korean Moratorium
Jan 30, 2022 5:20 AM CST
Missile Test May Have Broken a North Korean Moratorium
Country self-imposed a moratorium on testing longer-range missiles in 2018
- North Korea on Sunday fired what appeared to be the most powerful missile it has tested since President Biden took office, as it revives its old playbook in brinkmanship to wrest concessions from Washington and neighbors amid a prolonged stalemate in diplomacy. The Japanese and South Korean militaries said the...
Should Get $240K
Jan 19, 2022 6:40 PM CST
Judge: Warmbiers Should Get $240K
Parents of late college student were awarded $500M from North Korea in 2018
- The parents of Otto Warmbier, a US student who died after being taken hostage by North Korea and released in a coma in 2017, should receive $240,300 seized from a North Korean bank account, a federal judge ruled last week. The amount would be a partial payment toward the...
North Korea's Missile
Launches Keep Coming
Jan 18, 2022 12:00 AM CST
North Korea's Missile Launches Keep Coming
North Korea confirms 4th missile launch this month
North Korea said Tuesday it had conducted a test-firing of “tactical guided missiles,” a day after South Korea’s military detected the North launching two ballistic missiles into the sea. Monday’s test was North Korea’s fourth round of missile launches this month and the second...
Latest North Korea
Launch Is Apparent Reprisal
Jan 14, 2022 12:50 AM CST
Latest North Korea Launch Is Apparent Reprisal
Pyongyang carries out third weapons launch this month
- North Korea on Friday fired at least one possible ballistic missile in its third weapons launch this month, officials in South Korea and Japan said, in an apparent reprisal for fresh sanctions imposed by the Biden administration for its continuing test launches. South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said...
In N. Korea,
a 'Battle for
Jan 12, 2022 1:04 PM CST
In N. Korea, a 'Battle for Manure' Is Underway
Kim Jong Un wants citizens to meet poop quotas to help fertilize crops
- The pandemic has wreaked havoc on North Korea's food supply, the result of a domino effect of sorts: With the nation's borders closed, it can't import the manure it needs for its crops from China. The hunt for that stinky commodity has now reached "crisis level,...
in a Week
Jan 12, 2022 12:00 AM CST
North Korea Launches 2nd Hypersonic Missile in a Week
Pyongyang says it hit a target 621 miles away in the sea
- For the second time in less than a week, North Korea says it has launched a hypersonic missile. After launching one last Wednesday , Pyongyang said it did so again Tuesday, the BBC reports. This one "precisely hit" a target 621 miles away, the country says. The US, South Korea,...
Stories 41 - 60 |
Popular on Newser
Parliament Nears Outlawing Adultery and Insulting President
Prosecutors Whip Out Surprise Document in Trump Org Trial
Troops Seal Off Town, Looking for Gang Members
Trump Suggests Suspending the Constitution
She Vanished From Her Home. A FedEx Driver Has Been Arrested
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.