Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Martin Luther King Jr.
Stories 1 - 20 |
MLK, Wife Paid Hospital Bill
for Birth of Julia Roberts
Oct 31, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
MLK, Wife Paid Hospital Bill for Birth of Julia Roberts
They helped her family 'out of a jam,' Roberts says
- Julia Roberts recently shared a little-known tidbit of family history—when she was born in Smyrna, Georgia, 55 years ago, the hospital bill was paid by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and his wife, Coretta Scott King. In a
interview last month that went viral after it was...
King's Son Calls
for New Voting Laws
Jan 17, 2022 5:32 PM CST
King's Son Calls for New Voting Laws
Holiday speeches include demands for legislation to counter voting curbs
- A day before the US Senate was expected to take up significant legislation on voting rights that is looking likely to fail, the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s eldest son condemned federal lawmakers over their inaction. Speaking in Washington, DC, on Monday, Martin Luther King III said that...
This State Has Made
the Most Racial Progress
Jan 17, 2022 8:07 AM CST
This State Has Made the Most Racial Progress
Arizona takes the top spot in WalletHub ranking
- Monday is the day we honor the late civil-rights leader Martin Luther King Jr., in a country still contending with racial discrimination and a deep divide regarding our nation's history on racism. WalletHub examines all 50 states and the District of Columbia to see which states are the most...
King Family: MLK Day Will Be a
Day for Action, Not Celebration
Dec 15, 2021 2:23 PM CST
King Family: MLK Day Will Be a Day for Action, Not Celebration
They want Biden to push as hard for voting rights as he did for infrastructure
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day next month shouldn't be a day of celebration unless lawmakers act on federal voting rights bills, the civil rights leader's family says. Martin Luther King III, his wife Arndrea Waters King, and their daughter Yolanda Renee King intend to mobilize activists over MLK...
Aug 28, 2021 4:45 PM CDT
Voting Rights Rallies Draw Thousands
Speakers put pressure on Biden as well as Congress for protections
- Thousands of people rallied across the US on Saturday to call for sweeping federal laws to wipe out election legislation advancing in some Republican-controlled states that could make it harder to cast a ballot. Many activists view the fight over voting rules as the civil rights issue of the era....
Images From Friday's
March on Washington
Aug 28, 2020 1:43 PM CDT
Images From Friday's March on Washington
Gathering in DC commemorates MLK speech
- Capping a week of protests and outrage over the police shooting of a Black man in Wisconsin, civil rights advocates gathered in DC Friday at a commemoration of the 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. Thousands gathered near the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, the AP reports, where...
Leader Took Punch for Justice
Jul 17, 2020 4:35 PM CDT
Leader Took Punch for Justice
Sheriff slugged CT Vivian, an adviser to Martin Luther King, while news cameras rolled
- The Rev. CT Vivian, an early adviser to the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. who organized pivotal civil rights campaigns and spent decades advocating for justice and equality, died Friday at age 95. Vivian, who died of natural causes at home in Atlanta, began staging sit-ins against segregation in Peoria,...
MLK Jr. Was Mourned Here.
Rayshard Brooks Will Be, Too
Jun 23, 2020 8:01 AM CDT
MLK Jr. Was Mourned Here. Rayshard Brooks Will Be, Too
Funeral for black man fatally shot by police officer in Wendy's lot takes place Tuesday in Atlanta
- The Atlanta church where Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his very first sermon, served as co-pastor, and was later mourned after his 1968 assassination will also host Tuesday's funeral for Rayshard Brooks , the 27-year-old black man fatally shot by an Atlanta police officer in a Wendy's parking lot...
Fox News: Sorry About
That Stock Report
Jun 6, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Fox News: Sorry About That Stock Report
The graphic aired Friday on 'Special Report with Bret Baier'
- Fox News apologized Saturday for how it displayed a chart correlating the stock market's performance with the aftermath of the deaths of George Floyd, Martin Luther King Jr., and Michael Brown, the AP reports. The graphic that aired Friday to illustrate market reactions to historic periods of civil unrest...
Sues City, Mayor
Nov 19, 2019 7:17 AM CST
Meteorologist Fired for Racial Slur Sues City, Mayor
Jeremy Kappell claims defamation from the city of Rochester, NY, and Mayor Lovely Warren
- He's already sued the TV station that fired him for uttering a racial slur on the air in January; now a meteorologist has filed a lawsuit against the city of Rochester, NY, and its mayor. Per the
Democrat and Chronicle
, Jeremy Kappell is suing the city and Mayor Lovely...
After a Year, KC Voters
Rescind MLK Honor
Nov 6, 2019 8:43 AM CST
After a Year, KC Voters Rescind MLK Honor
Majority of voters want The Paseo back in Kansas City
- Both sides say they're fighting to retain history. Now, the day after a contentious election, the side that fought for the memory of Martin Luther King Jr. has lost that battle. The AP reports Kansas City voted "overwhelmingly"—almost 70% of the vote, per unofficial late-night returns...
Meteorologist Fired Over
'Linguistic Error' Sues Station
Apr 17, 2019 1:41 AM CDT
Meteorologist Fired Over 'Linguistic Error' Sues Station
Jeremy Kappell says he did not intentionally utter a racial slur
- A meteorologist fired for appearing to make a racial slur on the air has sued the TV station over his dismissal. In referring to Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Park in January, Jeremy Kappell seemed to say "Martin Luther Coon King Jr. Park." Kappell called it an accident,...
Amid the Shutdown,
MLK National Park
Gets 16-Day Reprieve
Jan 21, 2019 1:53 PM CST
Amid the Shutdown, MLK National Park Gets 16-Day Reprieve
It's all thanks to Delta's $84K
- The Martin Luther King Jr. National Park reopened just in time for the federal holiday, and Americans have Delta, not Congress, to thank. An $83,500 grant from the airline—which has its headquarters in Atlanta, where the park is also located—will be combined with National Park Service recreation...
Jan 18, 2019 11:25 AM CST
Same MLK-Tied Racial Slur, Different Newscaster
This time a St. Louis newsman is apologizing for on-air misspeak; he won't be fired, station says
- Saying Martin Luther King Jr.'s name out loud recently caused some unexpected trouble for a newscaster in upstate New York—and now, with the holiday honoring King nearly upon us, another newsman finds himself in similar hot water. The
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
reports that KTVI's Kevin Steincross...
Weighs In on Fired
Jan 10, 2019 6:10 PM CST
MLK's Daughter Weighs In on Fired Meteorologist
Bernice King doesn't think Jeremy Kappell should've been fired for on-air racial slur
- First Al Roker came to Jeremy Kappell's defense. Now the meteorologist who was fired for saying a racial slur on air has another big name standing up for him, the AP reports: Martin Luther King Jr.'s daughter. Bernice King told TMZ Thursday she doesn't think the...
He Calls It
Jan 7, 2019 4:46 PM CST
TV Station Calls It Racial Slur. He Calls It a 'Flub'
Meteorologist fired over apparent slur in reference to Martin Luther King Jr.
- A TV meteorologist has been given the boot over an apparent racial slur used on air. Jeremy Kappell, former chief meteorologist at Rochester, New York's WHEC, can be heard in video posted to social media as seeming to refer to a local park as "Martin Luther Coon King...
On MLK's Final Night,
He Seemed 'Near Panic'
Apr 4, 2018 8:42 AM CDT
On MLK's Final Night, He Seemed 'Near Panic'
50 years after his assassination, a fresh look at his last hours
- On April 4, 1968, Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated on a balcony outside the Lorraine Motel in Memphis. The 50th anniversary of his death brings with it a wave of headlines and remembrances. Among them: Bells across America will ring 39 times Wednesday night, with each chime signifying a...
Ram Trucks Face Backlash
Over MLK Super Bowl Ad
Feb 5, 2018 6:21 AM CST
Ram Trucks Face Backlash Over MLK Super Bowl Ad
Company had the year's most controversial ad
- During this year's Super Bowl, advertisers mostly played it safe—apart from Fiat Chrysler, which faced a major backlash after using a Martin Luther King Jr. speech in an ad for Dodge Ram trucks. "Recognize that he who is greatest among you shall be your servant. That's...
Cherokee Nation Recognizes
MLK Day for the First Time
Jan 15, 2018 6:45 PM CST
Cherokee Nation Recognizes MLK Day for the First Time
The tribe is seeking to make amends for its past with slavery
- Cherokee Nation leaders are marking Martin Luther King Jr. Day by acknowledging the tribe needs to come to terms with its treatment of former slaves, known as Freedmen. The tribe—one of the country's largest—recognized the King holiday for the first time Monday with participation in a parade...
Martin Luther King's Son:
Trump's Heart Needs Work
Jan 15, 2018 2:20 PM CST
Martin Luther King's Son: Trump's Heart Needs Work
Martin Luther King III spoke in Washington on Monday
- Martin Luther King Jr.'s eldest son is calling out President Trump following accusations the president used a vulgarity to describe African countries during a meeting last week and expressed a preference for immigrants from countries like Norway . Martin Luther King III spoke in Washington on Monday, the Martin...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oxford Dictionary Picks Its Word of the Year
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Jury Hears Suspect Describe Killing 4 Sex Workers
For Flyers in Europe, No More 'Airplane Mode'
82-Year-Old Arrested Over Her Unpaid $77 Trash Bill
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.