Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Martin Luther King Jr.
Stories 1 - 20 |
Commits to King's Dream
Aug 26, 2023 5:20 PM CDT
New Generation Commits to King's Dream
Thousands mark 60th anniversary of March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom
- Thousands of people on Saturday retraced the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, declaring his dream unrealized 60 years later and calling out new threats it faces. Speakers detailed the national changes since as many as 250,000 gathered at the Lincoln...
Jackson to Step Down
From Civil Rights Organization
Jul 14, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
Jackson to Step Down From Civil Rights Organization
Activist founded Rainbow PUSH Coalition in 1971
- The Rev. Jesse Jackson, a protégé of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and a civil rights leader in his own right for more than 60 years, announced Friday that he's retiring as president of the Rainbow PUSH Coalition. Jackson, 81, told the news to volunteers for the...
It Was a Famed MLK Interview.
It Might Not Be Accurate
May 10, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
It Was a Famed MLK Interview. It Might Not Be Accurate
Author Jonathan Eig suggests MLK's comments on Malcolm X are different than what ran
- Martin Luther King Jr. may have not said the harsh words about Malcolm X that are famously attributed to him—or, at least, not about Malcolm X directly. That's author Jonathan Eig's takeaway after reading what appears to be an unedited transcript of the full interview between King...
CEO Sorry for
'All Time Classic Bad'
Jan 31, 2023 10:35 AM CST
CEO Sorry for 'All Time Classic Bad' Layoff Memo
Quoting MLK was 'inappropriate,' admits PagerDuty CEO Jennifer Tejada
- PagerDuty CEO Jennifer Tejada announced she was laying off 7% of the company's workforce seven paragraphs into a 1,700-word email to employees that referred to the firings as "refinements," included news of executive promotions, and concluded with a quote from Martin Luther King Jr. "I...
Facts About MLK
Jan 16, 2023 9:07 AM CST
5 Lesser-Known Facts About MLK
He was at first named Michael, and his 'dream' line may have been improvised in his famous speech
- It's come to be known as his "I Have a Dream Speech," but Martin Luther King Jr. apparently didn't originally intend to mention the word "dream" at all on the National Mall that day in 1963. As the nation observes the MLK holiday Monday, a...
At King's Church, Biden
Preaches His Message
Jan 15, 2023 5:10 PM CST
At King's Church, Biden Preaches His Message
The fight for the nation's soul is constant, president tells congregation
- On what would have been the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s 94th birthday, President Biden took to the pulpit at the civil rights leader's church and said the country is at an "inflection point." The dream King spoke about at the National Mall 60 years...
MLK, Wife Paid Hospital Bill
for Birth of Julia Roberts
Oct 31, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
MLK, Wife Paid Hospital Bill for Birth of Julia Roberts
They helped her family 'out of a jam,' Roberts says
- Julia Roberts recently shared a little-known tidbit of family history—when she was born in Smyrna, Georgia, 55 years ago, the hospital bill was paid by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and his wife, Coretta Scott King. In a
interview last month that went viral after it was...
King's Son Calls
for New Voting Laws
Jan 17, 2022 5:32 PM CST
King's Son Calls for New Voting Laws
Holiday speeches include demands for legislation to counter voting curbs
- A day before the US Senate was expected to take up significant legislation on voting rights that is looking likely to fail, the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s eldest son condemned federal lawmakers over their inaction. Speaking in Washington, DC, on Monday, Martin Luther King III said that...
This State Has Made
the Most Racial Progress
Jan 17, 2022 8:07 AM CST
This State Has Made the Most Racial Progress
Arizona takes the top spot in WalletHub ranking
- Monday is the day we honor the late civil-rights leader Martin Luther King Jr., in a country still contending with racial discrimination and a deep divide regarding our nation's history on racism. WalletHub examines all 50 states and the District of Columbia to see which states are the most...
King Family: MLK Day Will Be a
Day for Action, Not Celebration
Dec 15, 2021 2:23 PM CST
King Family: MLK Day Will Be a Day for Action, Not Celebration
They want Biden to push as hard for voting rights as he did for infrastructure
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day next month shouldn't be a day of celebration unless lawmakers act on federal voting rights bills, the civil rights leader's family says. Martin Luther King III, his wife Arndrea Waters King, and their daughter Yolanda Renee King intend to mobilize activists over MLK...
Aug 28, 2021 4:45 PM CDT
Voting Rights Rallies Draw Thousands
Speakers put pressure on Biden as well as Congress for protections
- Thousands of people rallied across the US on Saturday to call for sweeping federal laws to wipe out election legislation advancing in some Republican-controlled states that could make it harder to cast a ballot. Many activists view the fight over voting rules as the civil rights issue of the era....
Images From Friday's
March on Washington
Aug 28, 2020 1:43 PM CDT
Images From Friday's March on Washington
Gathering in DC commemorates MLK speech
- Capping a week of protests and outrage over the police shooting of a Black man in Wisconsin, civil rights advocates gathered in DC Friday at a commemoration of the 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. Thousands gathered near the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, the AP reports, where...
Leader Took Punch for Justice
Jul 17, 2020 4:35 PM CDT
Leader Took Punch for Justice
Sheriff slugged CT Vivian, an adviser to Martin Luther King, while news cameras rolled
- The Rev. CT Vivian, an early adviser to the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. who organized pivotal civil rights campaigns and spent decades advocating for justice and equality, died Friday at age 95. Vivian, who died of natural causes at home in Atlanta, began staging sit-ins against segregation in Peoria,...
MLK Jr. Was Mourned Here.
Rayshard Brooks Will Be, Too
Jun 23, 2020 8:01 AM CDT
MLK Jr. Was Mourned Here. Rayshard Brooks Will Be, Too
Funeral for black man fatally shot by police officer in Wendy's lot takes place Tuesday in Atlanta
- The Atlanta church where Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his very first sermon, served as co-pastor, and was later mourned after his 1968 assassination will also host Tuesday's funeral for Rayshard Brooks , the 27-year-old black man fatally shot by an Atlanta police officer in a Wendy's parking lot...
Fox News: Sorry About
That Stock Report
Jun 6, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Fox News: Sorry About That Stock Report
The graphic aired Friday on 'Special Report with Bret Baier'
- Fox News apologized Saturday for how it displayed a chart correlating the stock market's performance with the aftermath of the deaths of George Floyd, Martin Luther King Jr., and Michael Brown, the AP reports. The graphic that aired Friday to illustrate market reactions to historic periods of civil unrest...
Sues City, Mayor
Nov 19, 2019 7:17 AM CST
Meteorologist Fired for Racial Slur Sues City, Mayor
Jeremy Kappell claims defamation from the city of Rochester, NY, and Mayor Lovely Warren
- He's already sued the TV station that fired him for uttering a racial slur on the air in January; now a meteorologist has filed a lawsuit against the city of Rochester, NY, and its mayor. Per the
Democrat and Chronicle
, Jeremy Kappell is suing the city and Mayor Lovely...
After a Year, KC Voters
Rescind MLK Honor
Nov 6, 2019 8:43 AM CST
After a Year, KC Voters Rescind MLK Honor
Majority of voters want The Paseo back in Kansas City
- Both sides say they're fighting to retain history. Now, the day after a contentious election, the side that fought for the memory of Martin Luther King Jr. has lost that battle. The AP reports Kansas City voted "overwhelmingly"—almost 70% of the vote, per unofficial late-night returns...
Meteorologist Fired Over
'Linguistic Error' Sues Station
Apr 17, 2019 1:41 AM CDT
Meteorologist Fired Over 'Linguistic Error' Sues Station
Jeremy Kappell says he did not intentionally utter a racial slur
- A meteorologist fired for appearing to make a racial slur on the air has sued the TV station over his dismissal. In referring to Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Park in January, Jeremy Kappell seemed to say "Martin Luther Coon King Jr. Park." Kappell called it an accident,...
Amid the Shutdown,
MLK National Park
Gets 16-Day Reprieve
Jan 21, 2019 1:53 PM CST
Amid the Shutdown, MLK National Park Gets 16-Day Reprieve
It's all thanks to Delta's $84K
- The Martin Luther King Jr. National Park reopened just in time for the federal holiday, and Americans have Delta, not Congress, to thank. An $83,500 grant from the airline—which has its headquarters in Atlanta, where the park is also located—will be combined with National Park Service recreation...
Jan 18, 2019 11:25 AM CST
Same MLK-Tied Racial Slur, Different Newscaster
This time a St. Louis newsman is apologizing for on-air misspeak; he won't be fired, station says
- Saying Martin Luther King Jr.'s name out loud recently caused some unexpected trouble for a newscaster in upstate New York—and now, with the holiday honoring King nearly upon us, another newsman finds himself in similar hot water. The
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
reports that KTVI's Kevin Steincross...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Awards Season Kicks Off With De Niro Going Off-Script
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.