Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
He Bought Bus Ticket,
Then Was Recaptured
Sep 29, 2022 9:08 AM CDT
He Bought Bus Ticket, Then Was Recaptured
Police picked up Porfirio Duarte-Herrera days after he went missing from Nevada jail
It was a quick flirtation with freedom for Porfirio Duarte-Herrera, but that liberation has now come to an end. After being discovered missing Tuesday from Nevada's Southern Desert Correctional Center, a manhunt was launched for the 42-year-old, who was serving a life sentence for a fatal 2007 bombing...
Cops Admit Photos of Suspects
Were Really Stock Images
Jul 25, 2022 9:23 AM CDT
Cops Admit Photos of Suspects Were Really Stock Images
They were released amid the hunt for Rabih Alkhalil
- An embarrassing goof out of Canada in the search for escaped murder suspect Rabih "Robby" Alkhalil. Alkhalil managed to escape mid-trial from North Fraser Pretrial Centre in Coquitlam, British Columbia, on Thursday, with sources telling the
the 35-year-old was assisted by men who posed as construction workers...
'They Were Able to Do
What No One Else Has Done'
Jun 22, 2022 7:06 AM CDT
'They Were Able to Do What No One Else Has Done'
US Marshals Service releases new age-progressed images of Alcatraz escapees
- The US Marshals Service wins this week's prize for persistence. The law enforcement agency has a new APB out for a trio of notorious escaped inmates, even though it's now been more than six decades since they busted out and they'd all be well into their 90s....
Inmate Guilty of Killing
2 Guards on Prison Bus
Jun 14, 2022 2:45 PM CDT
Inmate Guilty of Killing 2 Guards on Prison Bus
Jurors will decide whether Georgia inmate Ricky Dubose gets death penalty
- A Georgia prisoner has been found guilty of murder in the killings of two guards during an escape from a prison bus five years ago. A jury deliberated about 90 minutes Monday evening before convicting Ricky Dubose in the June 2017 shooting deaths of Sgt. Christopher Monica and Sgt. Curtis...
Escaped Missouri Inmate
Recaptured in Wyoming
Jun 9, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Escaped Missouri Inmate Recaptured in Wyoming
2 others are still at large
- An escaped inmate from Missouri was recaptured Wednesday more than 900 miles away, near Casper, Wyo., authorities say. The Mills Police Department says Christopher Blevins was captured after local law enforcement was informed he could be at a truck stop in the area, NBC News reports. The 37-year-old inmate, who...
Escaped Murderer Kills Family
of 5 at Their Vacation Home
Jun 3, 2022 12:16 AM CDT
Escaped Murderer Kills Family of 5 at Their Vacation Home
Gonzalo Lopez was later shot dead by police
- A convicted murderer on the run since escaping a prison bus after stabbing its driver on May 12 was shot dead late Thursday after he killed a family of five and stole their truck from a rural weekend cabin, a Texas prison system spokesman said. Gonzalo Lopez, 46, was "...
Officers Search Rural Texas
for Escaped Murderer
May 14, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Officers Search Rural Texas for Escaped Murderer
Gonzalo Lopez stabbed bus driver and ran off as shots were fired at him, officials say
- Residents of a rural area in Texas are being advised to lock their doors while authorities search for a convicted murderer who escaped from custody. Gonzalo Lopez slipped out of his restraints while on a bus on Thursday and stabbed the driver's hand with a sharp object, causing him...
911 Call Holds
May 11, 2022 12:51 PM CDT
911 Call Holds Vicky White's Final Sentences
'Airbags are going off!' the woman's voice is heard saying
- Once officials traced former jail boss Vicky White and inmate Casey White to Evansville, Indiana, and tracked down the car they were using, they began surveilling the local motel that car was parked outside of. CBS News reports the couple soon left their room, with Vicky White wearing a wig,...
Fugitives' Escape Vehicle
Found in Tennessee
May 6, 2022 2:49 PM CDT
Fugitives' Escape Vehicle Found in Tennessee
But there's no sign of Casey or Vicky White, said to be 'flush' with cash and weapons
- Two notable developments in the hunt for Alabama inmate Casey White and the corrections officer accused of helping him escape, Vicky White (no relation):
Police in Williamson County, Tennessee, say they've found the vehicle the pair used to escape, reports CNN . The Ford SUV was found in a
Missing Jailer, Escaped
Murder Suspect Had
May 4, 2022 12:01 AM CDT
Missing Jailer, Escaped Murder Suspect Had 'Special Relationship'
Video shows the moment they left the jail together
- Surveillance video is out showing the moments when Alabama jail supervisor Vicky White and inmate Casey White left Lauderdale County Jail together in what authorities now say appears to have been an escape they planned together . Eight minutes after they drove off Friday morning, Vicky White's patrol vehicle...
Story of Escaped
Inmate, Missing Prison
Official Gets Weird
May 2, 2022 12:05 AM CDT
Story of Escaped Inmate, Missing Prison Official Gets Weird
It's not clear whether prison official participated in escape willingly, or was coerced
- The US Marshals Service is offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information that helps them capture Alabama fugitive Casey White . White, who disappeared along with prison official Vicky White (not related) as she escorted him to a courthouse Friday, is charged with two counts of capital murder...
Killer Recaptured After
2nd Escape in 4 Years
Feb 16, 2022 5:10 PM CST
Killer Recaptured After 2nd Escape in 4 Years
Michael Wilson was treated in a hospital under a fake name for injuries from razor wire
: Convicted murderer Michael "Pretty Boy Floyd" Wilson is back behind bars in Mississippi after his second escape in four years. Authorities say the 51-year-old inmate was arrested in Harrison County when a car he had stolen ran out of gas on Tuesday, three days after he escaped from...
2 Inmates Dead After
Feb 8, 2022 5:06 PM CST
2 Inmates Dead After Tennessee Jailbreak
Johnny Shane Brown is still at large
- Two inmates who escaped from a county jail in Tennessee on Friday are dead and a third is still at large, authorities say. The Sullivan County Sheriff's Office says Tobias Wayne Carr, 38, and Timothy Allen Sarver, 45, were "confirmed deceased" following a convenience store robbery and multi-county...
Cops Nab Fugitive Mafia Boss
Thanks to Google Street View
Jan 6, 2022 9:39 AM CST
Cops Nab Fugitive Mafia Boss Thanks to Google Street View
Convicted killer Gioacchino Gammino had fled Italy for Spain
- An Italian mafia boss and convicted murderer who escaped from prison in Rome 20 years ago has been arrested in Spain—thanks in part to a sighting on Google Street View. Authorities say they already believed 61-year-old Gioacchino Gammino to be hiding in Spain, though the sighting of him and...
Fugitive of 30 Years Surrenders
Because Pandemic Life Sucks
Sep 15, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Fugitive of 30 Years Surrenders Because Pandemic Life Sucks
Homeless and jobless, Darko Desic was done sleeping on an Australian beach
- An unfortunate consequence of the COVID-19 pandemic is that many people have been turned out of their homes. Fortunately for Australian authorities, one of those people is a 29-year fugitive who decided he'd rather have a roof over his head, even if it was in prison. Darko Desic had...
Mistakenly Released From Jail
Sep 2, 2021 9:13 AM CDT
Lookalike Inmate Mistakenly Released From Jail
Search is on for Ellen Goble in Randolph County, Mo.
- Authorities in Missouri are searching for a woman who was mistaken for another inmate and wrongly released from jail over the weekend. Ellen Goble—who was held in Randolph County Jail on charges of resisting arrest, burglary, drug possession, and operating a vehicle without a valid license—looked almost identical...
After 47 Years, Marshals on
Trail of Escaped Child Killer
Oct 21, 2020 8:08 AM CDT
After 47 Years, Marshals on Trail of Escaped Child Killer
Lester Eubanks has been on the run since 1973
- Federal authorities believe they're closing in on a convicted child killer who's been on the run for 47 years. Lester Eubanks—whose story features in an episode of Netflix's
—was convicted in May 1966 of the rape and murder of 14-year-old Mary Ellen Deener...
Killer Peter Madsen
Oct 20, 2020 9:05 AM CDT
Killer Peter Madsen Escapes Prison
Inventor convicted in journalist's brutal murder is apprehended a short distance away on Tuesday
- A Danish man convicted of killing a journalist aboard his homemade submarine in a case that shocked Scandinavia managed to escape from prison on Tuesday—though he was apprehended soon after. Peter Madsen, serving life in prison for the 2017 murder of Kim Wall, escaped from Herstedvester Prison near Copenhagen...
Man Who 'Terrorized Rome' for
Years Escapes Jail a 4th Time
Sep 8, 2020 4:33 AM CDT
Man Who 'Terrorized Rome' for Years Escapes Jail a 4th Time
Giuseppe Mastini has been convicted of multiple murders
- Giuseppe Mastini has been convicted of multiple murders—and he just escaped from jail for the fourth time. Mastini, 60, who "terrorized Rome," per the
, in the 1970s and 1980s, was on day release from a high-security Italian prison and failed to return at the appointed time...
14 Jumped the Fence.
6 Are Still on the Loose
Mar 24, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
14 Jumped the Fence. 6 Are Still on the Loose
Jail, shelter-in-place order couldn't hold these inmates in Washington state
- Fourteen inmates escaped a jail in Washington state on Monday, and six were still on the loose by Tuesday morning. Residents of Yakima were told to stay inside as authorities reported the escape from Yakima County Jail in the city's downtown, per NBC News . At one point, authorities said...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Says McConnell Has 'Death Wish,' Insults His Wife
Tagovailoa Speaks on His Latest Hard Hit
Ruling on Naomi Judd Death Probe Sees a 180
Democrat Wants New Leaders After Stock Ban Stalls
Father Attacks Meta After Girl's Death
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.