Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Researchers Find 3 Genes
Linked to Vegetarianism
Oct 9, 2023 4:42 PM CDT
Researchers Find 3 Genes Linked to Vegetarianism
'A lot of people who want to be vegetarian are perhaps not able to'
- A love of lentils could be something passed down through the generations, according to researchers who compared the genes of 5,000 vegetarians to those of more than 320,000 others. Their study, published in the journal
last week, found that three genes had a strong link to...
New York City Landlord
Has an Unusual Restriction
Jun 24, 2023 8:30 AM CDT
New York City Landlord Has an Unusual Restriction
No cooking of meat or fish allowed, and the rule appears to be legal
- The one-bedroom apartment up for rent in New York City is listed for $5,750 a month, but that's not out of line for the Big Apple. What has instead drawn attention is the unusual stipulation imposed by the vegan landlord: Tenants are not allowed to cook meat or...
Here's How 6 Diets Rate
With the Planet, Your Body
Mar 19, 2023 3:17 PM CDT
Here's How 6 Diets Rate With the Planet, Your Body
We have one very clear loser in both categories
- You are, allegedly, what you eat, and what you eat can have an impact on planet Earth.
predictably would like you to have less of a footprint and maybe guilt you a little bit, and takes the opportunity to look at six popular diets and their environmental impact vis...
Over Whether to
Eat Meat on
Mar 16, 2021 6:49 AM CDT
Governors Duel Over Whether to Eat Meat on Saturday
Colorado declares it 'MeatOut Day,' Nebraska declares it 'Meat On the Menu Day'
- Last month, Colorado declared Saturday, March 20, "MeatOut Day," encouraging residents to go meatless on that day. Now, neighboring Nebraska has declared the same day "Meat On the Menu Day" in a direct rebuttal of Colorado's move. Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts said the nonbinding MeatOut Day,...
This Might Be the Brave
New World of Steaks
Feb 9, 2021 2:08 PM CST
This Might Be the Brave New World of Steaks
Israel's Aleph Farms uses 3D printing to create a lab-grown ribeye
- You can order a steak rare, well done, and now, 3D printed. An Israeli company has produced what it calls the "world's first slaughter-free ribeye steak," reports Bloomberg . The product from Aleph Farms is the latest entry in the emerging field of alternatives to traditionally raised meat....
Vegans May Be More
Likely to Break Bones
Nov 23, 2020 8:47 AM CST
Vegans May Be More Likely to Break Bones
Largest study of its kind sees increased risk for those who don't eat animal products
- The largest study of its kind suggests that those who don't eat meat are more likely to suffer bone fractures. Vegans, who shun both meat and dairy, appear to have the greatest risk relative to vegetarians and pescatarians, particularly when it comes to hip fractures, reports CNN . To keep...
Can't Be Protected
Sep 14, 2019 4:00 PM CDT
Judge: Vegetarians Can't Be Protected
George Conisbee loses his case in British court
- A hotel worker who claimed he was bullied for being vegetarian didn't get much sympathy in a British courtroom, the
reports. George Conisbee, 20, said he quit his job at a hotel near Lowestoft, Suffolk, after being shouted at for wearing a shirt that wasn't ironed. Conisbee...
Meatless Whopper, Petition
Put Veggie Pressure on Rival
Apr 11, 2019 6:53 PM CDT
Meatless Whopper, Petition Put Veggie Pressure on Rival
McVegan has been tested in Europe
- McDonald's is feeling the heat on veggie burgers. More than 160,000 people have signed a petition calling for the chain to add a meatless option to its menu, the
reports. McDonald's has tested a McVegan in Finland and Sweden, and put it on the menu at...
Beyonce to Online
Followers: Eat This
Feb 1, 2019 4:20 PM CST
Beyonce to Online Followers: Eat This
The singer endorses 'The Greenprint' by Marco Borges
- So, what's all that Greenprint stuff on Beyonce's Instagram fee d? Bey stirred up the beehive Thursday when she advocated plant-based living in a rare social-media endorsement, the AP reports. It helped that she also announced to her 123 million followers a sweepstakes for lifetime concert tickets to...
Experts Say World
a New Diet
Jan 17, 2019 6:11 AM CST
Experts Say World Urgently Needs a New Diet
They advise reducing red meat to 1 serving a week
- A hamburger a week, but no more—that's about as much red meat people should eat to do what's best for their health and the planet, according to a report seeking to overhaul the world's diet . Eggs should be limited to fewer than about four a week,...
At One Company,
Meat Is Off the Menu
Jul 16, 2018 10:18 AM CDT
At One Company, Meat Is Off the Menu
WeWork will no longer serve poultry, beef, pork in move meant to help environment, save animals
- Office space sharing company WeWork says it is no longer serving red or white meat at company events. In an email to employees, co-founder and Chief Creative Officer Miguel McKelvey said the company won't serve pork, poultry, or red meat, and it won't allow employees to expense meals...
French Butchers Have Beef
With Vegan 'Terror' Campaign
Jun 27, 2018 4:34 PM CDT
French Butchers Have Beef With Vegan 'Terror' Campaign
Meat sellers are now seeking police protection
- Graffiti, smashed windows, even shops splattered with blood. This is the "terror" being set upon meat purveyors in France, the head of the French Federation of Butchers tells the BBC , all part of a campaign by vegans to intimidate "in their aim of making a whole section of...
This Is When Vegetarians
Should Eat Meat
Aug 7, 2017 12:30 PM CDT
This Is When Vegetarians Should Eat Meat
In a crowd, to show others that flexibility is OK, suggests an op-ed
- If vegetarians want to persuade carnivores to eat less meat, they might consider eating a little meat themselves. The seeming contradiction is offered up by Alberto Giubilini in an essay at Aeon . He begins by offering up a relatively common scenario: A vegetarian is at a dinner party, and the...
10 Best Cities for Vegetarians
Oct 24, 2016 10:47 AM CDT
10 Best Cities for Vegetarians
Plant-eaters won't go hungry in Santa Fe
- It's getting easier for vegetarians to eat out these days, but some cities are better than others. Datafiniti has rounded up the 10 US cities with the most vegetarian restaurants per 100,000 people. The winners:
Santa Fe, NM (29.6 per 100,00 residents)
Eugene, Ore. (16.5)
Tens of Thousands Demand
In-N-Out Serve Veggie Burgers
Sep 22, 2016 6:53 PM CDT
Tens of Thousands Demand In-N-Out Serve Veggie Burgers
Vegetarians are tired of just fries at popular chain
- It already has animal style, so why not vegetable style? Tens of thousands of people have signed a petition demanding the California-based In-N-Out burger chain add a veggie option,
reports. According to the Change.org petition , which has received more than 30,000 signatures, vegetarians eating at In-N-Out...
8 Best Cities
Sep 18, 2016 12:47 PM CDT
8 Best Cities for Non-Meat-Eaters
It's not always hard being a vegetarian
- Sometimes being a vegetarian on the lam can mean settling for the only black bean burger/grilled cheese/pizza slice on the menu. For those culinarily-deprived non-meat-eating souls, Treehugger has rounded up a list of the world's most vegetarian-friendly cities, taking into account the number of vegetarian joints per capita, their...
Mayor Tries to
Jul 22, 2016 5:50 PM CDT
Mayor Tries to Create Vegan Paradise in Meat-Loving Italy
- Say this about Chiara Appendino, she's not afraid of being unpopular. The
reports the new mayor of Turin, Italy, who was elected last month, has promised to make vegetarianism and veganism a "priority" for her government. “The promotion of vegan and vegetarian diets is a fundamental...
You Can't Call
Jun 9, 2016 6:00 PM CDT
It's Official: You Can't Call Vegetarian Kids 'Idiots'
You also can't say they 'should eat meat' to have 'bigger brains'
- Nearly two years and $8,000 in legal fees later, a New Jersey school district officially has the right to give detention to an 11-year-old who insulted a classmate for being a vegetarian. The
Asbury Park Press
reports the bizarre case started in October 2014 when two sixth-graders were having...
Sheriff Joe Team Up
Apr 16, 2015 10:15 AM CDT
Pam Anderson, Sheriff Joe Team Up
... to serve Arizona inmates vegetarian meals
- Some inmates at the Maricopa County Jail did a double-take after seeing actress Pamela Anderson serving their lunches. The former
star was in town yesterday to help promote Sheriff Joe Arpaio's all-vegetarian meal program. Arpaio says cutting meat from the meals served to the more than 8,000...
What to Call a
Jan 5, 2015 11:13 AM CST
What to Call a Non-Vegetarian Who's Eating Less Meat
'Reducetarians' take measured approach to changing diet
- Given a variety of reasons not to eat meat these days—think health, climate change, worker and animal welfare—many people are limiting the meat on their menus. But it's a splintered movement, with some going vegan, others vegetarian, and still others simply reducing their intake of animal products....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.