Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops Warn About New iPhone
Feature, Experts Say to Chill
in case you missed it
Dec 3, 2023 3:40 PM CST
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Red flag on NameDrop says user contact info could be inadvertently shared, but tech geeks say no
- A sharing feature built into Apple's latest iOS update has police departments nationwide issuing a warning to iPhone users, but security experts say the hubbub may be a bit hyped up. The new NameDrop feature allows consumers who have phones using iOS 17.1, or watchOS 10.1 on...
Help Is On the Way for Your
Overheated iPhone 15
Oct 5, 2023 7:53 AM CDT
Help Is On the Way for Your Overheated iPhone 15
Apple releases patch to remedy Pro models running 'warmer than expected'
- Complaints about Apple's new iPhone 15 Pro models running too hot have been heeded. The company released a patch on Wednesday, noting that the included updates and bug fixes included in iOS 17.0.3 should take care of the overheating issue. "We have identified a few conditions...
iPhone 15 Pro
Might Be a Little
Sep 28, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
iPhone 15 Pro Might Be a Little Too Hot—Literally
In some tests, Pro Max hits 122 degrees
- The iPhone 15 Pro just launched Friday, and already there are widespread reports that overheating is a problem. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that in its testing, the iPhone 15 Pro Max reached 106 degrees Fahrenheit while charging, and 112 degrees while charging and simultaneously running a "processor-intensive" task...
Apple Unveils Next
Generation of iPhones
Sep 12, 2023 4:40 PM CDT
Apple Unveils Next Generation of iPhones
New phones will have USB-C chargers
- Apple on Tuesday unveiled its next generation of iPhones—a line-up that will boast better cameras, faster processors, a new charging system, and a price hike for the fanciest model. As has been case with Apple and other smartphone makers, the four types of iPhone 15 models aren't making...
Beta Test Photos Cause
a Fuss Over 'End Call' Button
Aug 17, 2023 1:44 PM CDT
Beta Test Photos Cause a Fuss Over 'End Call' Button
iPhone's familiar icon may be moving a bit, but apparently not as much as first feared
- Almost a week after the Apple faithful collectively gasped at the first evidence that the iPhone's red "end call" button might be vacating its familiar position, it looks like it might have been (mostly) a false alarm. The initial shock followed the release of last week's test,...
Apple's 4GB Phone Flopped.
One Just Sold for $190K
Jul 17, 2023 11:04 AM CDT
Apple's 4GB Phone Flopped. One Just Sold for $190K
Phone from 2007 fetches a record price at auction
- Earlier this year, an original iPhone—still sealed— sold for a world-record $63,000 . Consider the record broken and then some. Another original iPhone just sold for more than $190,000 at the US auction house LCG Auctions , reports the BBC . This one had a little extra cache: It was...
Apple Has Ducking Great News
for iPhone Pottymouths
Jun 6, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
Apple Has Ducking Great News for iPhone Pottymouths
Company's iOS 17 features enhanced autocorrect that makes it easier for you to type out curses
- Technically, "improved autocorrect functionality" is what MacRumors is calling one of the upgrades that comes with Apple's iOS 17 for the iPhone. CNET puts into perspective what that actually means: "Your iPhone keyboard can learn curse words now." Apple unveiled its newest operating system Monday at...
Now Available for iPhones:
May 18, 2023 4:55 PM CDT
Now Available for iPhones: ChatGPT App
Clones have surfaced in the five months since release by OpenAI
- ChatGPT is now a smartphone app, which could be good news for people who like to use the artificial intelligence chatbot and bad news for all the clone apps that have tried to profit off the technology. The free app became available on iPhones in the US on Thursday and...
Original iPhone Still in Plastic
Now Worth a Pretty Penny
Mar 30, 2023 1:29 PM CDT
Original iPhone Still in Plastic Now Worth a Pretty Penny
One hitting the auction block Thursday is valued at up to $60K
- It sold for $599 in 2007. A decade and a half later, a first-generation iPhone with 8 gigabytes of storage, still wrapped in plastic, is thought to be worth up to $60,000. Its among the lots offered by Chicago's Wright Auctions in a Thursday sale, beginning at 12pm...
Brings 100 Times Its 2007 Price
Feb 20, 2023 6:40 PM CST
First-Generation iPhone Brings 100 Times Its 2007 Price
Owner had never opened the gift received in 2007
- When Karen Green got a new job in 2007, her friends gave her a congratulatory iPhone. She had just gotten a new phone, so she never opened the gift. "I didn't want to get rid of my phone, and I figured, 'It's an iPhone, so it...
There's a Big Problem With
Apple's Automatic 911 Calls
Feb 3, 2023 1:16 PM CST
There's a Big Problem With Apple's Automatic 911 Calls
Call centers are overwhelmed with calls triggered when there is no emergency
- Emergency call centers in various states that have been inundated with false calls and officials are pointing the finger at a single culprit: Apple. Since 2018, Apple devices have been able to detect when a user suffers a hard fall . If a fall is detected, the device buzzes and sends...
Reporter vs. Mugger: 'Wrong
Blind Person, Wrong Day'
Dec 28, 2022 9:06 AM CST
Reporter vs. Mugger: 'Wrong Blind Person, Wrong Day'
BBC correspondent Sean Dilley didn't let his lack of sight keep him from defeating a phone thief
- A thief may have surprised BBC journalist Sean Dilley by lifting his phone on the streets of London, but it was Dilley who had an even bigger surprise for the thief. The BBC reports that its correspondent, who was working the night shift at New Broadcasting House, BBC's headquarters...
Woman's New iPhone Saves
Her, Boyfriend After Crash
Dec 21, 2022 8:43 AM CST
Woman's New iPhone Saves Her, Boyfriend After Crash
Device's Crash Detection, Emergency SOS features alerted rescuers after car plunged into canyon
- The new iPhone 14 debuted in September, boasting such perks as a new dual-camera system, better battery life, and a 5-core GPU for smoother graphics while gaming. But it's the device's Crash Detection and Emergency SOS features that Cloe Fields is grateful for after she and her boyfriend...
Apple Users Get Hit With
Surcharge for Twitter Blue
Dec 12, 2022 10:35 AM CST
Apple Users Get Hit With Surcharge for Twitter Blue
Blue check mark system is back, but some will be paying more than others
- Twitter's blue check-mark system under Elon Musk didn't go so well when it was launched last month, thanks to a proliferation of phony accounts, and it was suspended almost as soon as it began. Now it looks like the paid subscription program is coming back, though some people...
Between Twitter, Apple
Dec 1, 2022 12:03 AM CST
Everything's Apparently Cool Between Twitter, Apple
Elon Musk tweets that 'misunderstanding' has been 'resolved'
- The Twitter-Apple war is over before it began. Elon Musk had on Monday started a feud with Apple because, he said, Apple was threatening to remove the Twitter app from its App Store, but on Wednesday, Musk tweeted that he had a "good conversation" with Apple CEO Tim Cook...
Apple to Adopt
Oct 26, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
'No Choice': Apple to Adopt USB-C Chargers
Greg Joswiak confirms company will comply with new laws, despite its opposition
- Apple has "no choice" but to begin making iPhones with a USB-C port, rather than one to fit its Lightning cables, an official has confirmed. Greg Joswiak, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide marketing, tells the
Wall Street Journal
that "we'll have to comply" with new...
After 'Fervent' Bidding,
2007 iPhone Sells for $39K
Oct 18, 2022 9:04 AM CDT
After 'Fervent' Bidding, 2007 iPhone Sells for $39K
15-year-old 8GB device in unopened box is said to be in 'exceptional' condition
- The starting bid for a 15-year-old iPhone on the LCG Auctions site was listed as $2,500, but the now-ancient (in tech years) device ended up going for a whole lot more. Gizmodo reports that the unopened 2007 iPhone, a first-gen 8GB model from the year Apple debuted its smartphone,...
Calls for Help
Oct 3, 2022 11:43 AM CDT
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
Police haven't determined what caused accident in Lincoln, Nebraska
- A passenger's cellphone automatically alerted responders after a car hit a tree early Sunday in a Nebraska crash that killed all six of the vehicle's young occupants, authorities said. Five men in the Honda Accord died at the scene of the crash around 2:15am in Lincoln, about...
Steve Jobs' Daughter Posts
Meme Mocking New iPhone
in case you missed it
Sep 11, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Steve Jobs' Daughter Posts Meme Mocking New iPhone
Widely-posted meme suggests iPhone 14 is identical to iPhone 13
- Steve Jobs' youngest child responded to Apple's Wednesday announcement of the new iPhone 14 with a meme mocking the latest version of the smartphone. The widely shared meme shows a man holding up a new shirt that is identical to the shirt he's already wearing, and it reads,...
Holds the Line
Sep 7, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
Apple Unveils Latest iPhones, Holds the Line on Prices
Top models can send SOS by satellite
- Apple's latest lineup of iPhones will boast better cameras, faster processors, and a longer-lasting battery at the same prices as last year's model, despite the inflationary pressure that has driven up the cost of many other everyday items. That decision, revealed Wednesday during Apple's first in-person product...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.