Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Islamic Jihad, Israel
Agree to Cease-Fire
May 13, 2023 3:15 PM CDT
Islamic Jihad, Israel Agree to Cease-Fire
Egypt brokered the deal
- Israel and the Islamic Jihad militant group in the Gaza Strip agreed to an Egyptian-brokered cease-fire late Saturday, ending five days of intense fighting that left 33 Palestinians, including at least 13 civilians dead. Two people in Israel were killed by rocket fire. The cease-fire took effect just after 10pm,...
Israel Kills 3 Islamic Jihad
Commanders in Gaza Strikes
May 9, 2023 12:53 AM CDT
Israel Kills 3 Islamic Jihad Commanders in Gaza Strikes
Palestinian health officials say 12 people were killed in total
- Israel killed three senior commanders of the militant Islamic Jihad group in targeted airstrikes early Tuesday, the military said. Palestinian health officials said 12 people were killed in all, including the commanders, their wives, several of their children and others nearby, the AP reports. The strikes hit the top floor...
Escalation Fears Rise
After Israel Strikes Gaza
Jan 27, 2023 4:18 AM CST
Escalation Fears Rise After Israel Strikes Gaza
Rockets were fired from Gaza after 9 Palestinians died in West Bank raid
- Israel’s defense minister signaled Friday that the military would stop its airstrikes if Palestinian militant groups halted rocket attacks, a day after the deadliest Israeli raid in decades raised the prospect of a major flare-up in fighting. After a limited exchange of Palestinian rockets and Israeli airstrikes on Gaza...
Palestinian Hunger Striker
Has Refused Food for 160 Days
Aug 9, 2022 1:52 PM CDT
Palestinian Hunger Striker Has Refused Food for 160 Days
Egypt is seeking release of Khalil Awawdeh as part of Gaza ceasefire deal
- A Palestinian hunger striker who his family says has refused food for the past 160 days and is wasting away in an Israeli jailhouse infirmary has suddenly been thrust into the center of efforts to firm up a Gaza ceasefire. Khalil Awawdeh is in the spotlight because the Islamic Jihad...
His Fields Makes
an Ancient Find
Apr 27, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
Farmer Working His Fields Makes an Ancient Find
Limestone head is thought to represent the Canaanite goddess Anat
- A farmer in the Gaza Strip went to work on Monday and found himself the subject of international news stories days later, all thanks to what he found in the ground. Nidal Abu Eid was plowing his land when he turned up a 4,500-year-old limestone head thought to represent...
Israeli Troops Open Fire
on Palestinian Protesters
Aug 21, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Israeli Troops Open Fire on Palestinian Protesters
24 demonstrators and an Israeli police officer are wounded
- Israeli gunfire on Saturday wounded 24 Palestinians, including a 13-year-old boy who was shot in the head, health officials said. An Israeli police officer was critically wounded by Palestinian gunfire during the clashes along Gaza's border with Israel, the AP reports. The violence erupted after hundreds of Palestinians took...
Israel Breaks Ceasefire
Jun 16, 2021 12:05 AM CDT
After Incendiary Balloons Launched, Israel Breaks Ceasefire
The balloons, in turn, were launched from Gaza in response to an Israeli march
- Israeli aircraft carried out a series of airstrikes at militant sites in the Gaza Strip early Wednesday, the first such raids since a shaky cease-fire ended the war with Hamas last month, the AP reports. The airstrikes targeted facilities used by Hamas militants for meetings to plan attacks, the Israeli...
March in Gaza
May 22, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
Armed Fighters March in Gaza
Hamas' display of strength contrasts with weakened Palestinian Authority
- Hundreds of masked Hamas fighters brandishing assault rifles paraded in Gaza City on Saturday in a defiant show of strength after the militants' 11-day war with Israel. Wearing military camouflage, the fighters walked past the mourning tent for Bassem Issa, a senior commander killed in the fighting. The top Hamas...
US Shoots Down UN Statement
Condemning Violence in Gaza
May 18, 2021 12:50 AM CDT
US Shoots Down UN Statement Condemning Violence in Gaza
The only country on the Security Council to do so
- The UN Security Council was considering a statement condemning the violence in Gaza, which has left hundreds of Palestinians dead including dozens of women and children, and calling for a ceasefire—but the US blocked it Monday, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. According to Al Jazeera , that's the third...
As Gaza Death Toll Rises,
Biden Supports Cease-Fire
May 17, 2021 6:10 PM CDT
As Gaza Death Toll Rises, Biden Supports Cease-Fire
Israel launched another wave of airstrikes Monday
- The Israeli military unleashed another heavy wave of airstrikes Monday on the Gaza Strip, saying it destroyed militant tunnels and the homes of nine Hamas commanders. International diplomacy to end the weeklong war that has killed hundreds appeared to make little headway. Israel has said it will press on for...
Is Only Getting Worse
May 11, 2021 12:11 PM CDT
Israeli-Palestinian Fighting Is Only Getting Worse
Both sides launching strikes as Egypt tries to broker a cease-fire
- A confrontation between Israel and Hamas sparked by weeks of tensions in Jerusalem escalated Tuesday. Israel unleashed new airstrikes on Gaza, killing a number of militants and civilians, while militants barraged southern Israel with hundreds of rockets, killing two Israelis, per the AP . The barrage of rockets leaving Gaza and...
Child #2: 'That's
Mar 8, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
Child: 'Balloons!' Child #2: 'That's a Bomb!'
Israel grapples with militant tactic of sending balloons over the border
- Merav Hania recalls the day her daughter stopped enjoying kindergarten—when balloons floated into her playground in Israel, the
reports. "Balloons!" the girl cried. But another child stopped her: "That's a bomb!" Sure enough, Emma huddled with other students inside as a police...
Strikes on Gaza
Jan 31, 2020 1:06 AM CST
Israel Launches 'Wide-Scale' Strikes on Gaza
Airstrikes follow rocket fire from militants
- The Israeli military said on Friday that it launched "wide-scale" airstrikes on militant targets in the Gaza Strip shortly after Palestinian militants fired three rockets into Israel, two of which were intercepted. There were no reports of casualties or major damage from the exchange of fire overnight, which came...
Israel Says Gaza Strike
Killed 'Ticking Time Bomb'
Nov 12, 2019 12:19 AM CST
Israel Says Gaza Strike Killed 'Ticking Time Bomb'
Islamic Jihad vows revenge for deaths of commander, wife
- Israel killed a senior Islamic Jihad commander in Gaza early Tuesday in a rare targeted killing that threatened to unleash a fierce round of cross-border violence with Palestinian militants. The militant group said the commander's wife was also killed in the airstrike and that their children were wounded. Air...
Gaza Fighting Ends
After Dozens Killed
May 6, 2019 12:33 AM CDT
Gaza Fighting Ends After Dozens Killed
At least 27 die in worst clash since 2014
- The Israeli military lifted protective restrictions on residents in southern Israel on Monday, while the Hamas militant group's radio station in Gaza reported a ceasefire, signaling a deal had been reached to end the deadliest fighting between the two sides since a 2014 war. The escalation had killed 23...
For a Month, a
Lull. Then Came
the 90 Rockets
May 4, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
For a Month, a Lull. Then Came the 90 Rockets
Reports out of Israel of rockets fired from Gaza Strip, retaliatory airstrikes against Palestinians
- Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip fired at least 90 rockets into southern Israel on Saturday, per the Israeli military, triggering retaliatory airstrikes and tank fire against militant targets in the blockaded enclave and shattering a monthlong lull in violence. Gaza's Health Ministry said a 22-year-old Palestinian, Emad Nassir,...
Tens of Thousands
Rally in Gaza
Mar 30, 2019 3:57 PM CDT
Tens of Thousands Rally in Gaza
But demonstrators are most kept away from the Israeli border
- Tens of thousands of Palestinians rallied in the Gaza Strip on Saturday to mark the first anniversary of their mass protests along the Israeli border, as the territory's Hamas leaders largely restrained the crowds ahead of a hoped-for cease-fire deal, the AP reports. Demonstrators largely kept their distance from...
After Botched Israeli Raid,
a 'Serious Escalation'
Nov 13, 2018 6:01 AM CST
After Botched Israeli Raid, a 'Serious Escalation'
Gaza militants fired off dozens of rockets, leaving one man dead, at least 20 injured
- Gaza militants fired dozens of rockets at southern Israel early Tuesday, killing a man in a strike on a residential building, and warning they'd escalate their attacks if Israel continues bombing targets in the Gaza Strip. The cross-border attacks, which were triggered by a botched Israeli undercover raid into...
Israel Launches Scores
of Airstrikes on Gaza
Aug 9, 2018 2:00 AM CDT
Israel Launches Scores of Airstrikes on Gaza
Army says 150 rockets, mortars fired at Israel
- Israeli warplanes struck dozens of targets in the Gaza Strip while Palestinian militants from the territory fired scores of rockets into Israel in a fierce burst of violence overnight and into Thursday morning. At least three Palestinians died—a pregnant woman, her 1-year-old daughter, and a Hamas militant, according to...
in 4 Years
Jul 14, 2018 11:00 AM CDT
Israel Launches Widest Gaza Daytime Attack in 4 Years
Says it's retaliating against Hamas rocket attacks
- The Israeli military carried out its largest daytime airstrike campaign in Gaza since the 2014 war Saturday as Hamas militants fired dozens of rockets into Israel, threatening to spark a wider conflagration after weeks of tensions along the volatile border, the AP reports. No casualties or major damage was reported...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
Pope's Comments on Same-Sex Unions Make Waves
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
Break in Kidnapping Case: Suspect Dropped Off a Note
Philadelphia Journalist Shot Dead at Home
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.