Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
A Legend of Hockey
Jun 15, 2023 2:15 PM CDT
A Legend of Hockey Had CTE
Montreal Canadiens great Henri Richard is diagnosed posthumously
- The late Henri Richard is a hockey Hall of Famer who has a record 11 Stanley Cups on his resume and, now, a more troubling legacy: The Montreal Canadiens star had chronic traumatic encephalopathy when he died in 2020 at age 84, according to the Concussion Legacy Foundation Canada, per...
MLB Pitcher Suffers
Scary Line Drive Injury
May 15, 2023 7:36 AM CDT
MLB Pitcher Suffers Scary Line Drive Injury
Colorado Rockies pitcher Ryan Feltner suffers concussion, skull fracture after being hit by ball
- Colorado Rockies pitcher Ryan Feltner has a skull fracture and concussion after getting hit by a line drive off the bat of the Philadelphia Phillies' Nick Castellanos. Feltner was injured Saturday night during a game in Denver and was discharged from Swedish Medical Center on Sunday, per the AP . He...
Experts Challenge QB's
View of His Risk for CTE
Oct 20, 2022 11:57 AM CDT
Experts Challenge QB's View of His Risk for CTE
Miami's Tua Tagovailoa, cleared to play Sunday, suggests quarterbacks are at less risk
- Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa has been hammered with big hits in his last two games—including a headline-making concussion on Sept. 29—and he's hoping to break the streak on Sunday. The NFL has cleared Tagovailoa to play this weekend, reports ESPN . The 24-year-old spoke for the first...
NFL Adds New Word
to Concussion Protocol
Oct 9, 2022 5:31 AM CDT
NFL Adds New Word to Concussion Protocol
Effective immediately, players showing signs of 'ataxia,' or impaired balance and mobility, are out
- NFL players will be under new concussion rules in time for Sunday's games. The league and NFL Players Association on Saturday agreed to modify the rules following a joint investigation into an injury sustained by Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa last month. The league and players' union said in...
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit:
'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
Oct 1, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
NFL, Dolphins have been under fire after 24-year-old QB was injured just days after similar injury
(This story has been updated with comments from Tagovailo.)
The NFL has another controversy on its hands related to concussions after a scary incident Thursday night involving Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa. Coverage:
The Dolphins' 24-year-old quarterback got sacked in the second quarter and his head came
Aug 20, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
NFL Players Aren't Sure About Pads for Helmets
League says protection early in the season can mitigate head injuries later
- "Obviously, they don't look pretty," an NFL defensive lineman said at training camp this week. "You feel like a bobblehead," a lineman on another team said. "They're stupid," a player on a third team said. The complaints were about the Guardian Caps...
CTE Finds Its Way
Into Another Pro Sport
Jun 29, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
CTE Finds Its Way Into Another Pro Sport
Scott Vermillion, who died in 2020, is first Major League Soccer player to be diagnosed
- It's long been known that football players are at risk for chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE. Now, another sport—one in which the head is often used during game play—is making headlines in connection with the degenerative brain condition. Researchers from Boston University's CTE Center say Scott...
NFL Linebacker Retires at 27:
'Too Many Concussions'
Apr 17, 2022 9:32 AM CDT
NFL Linebacker Retires at 27: 'Too Many Concussions'
Arizona's Kylie Fitts missed much of last season
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kylie Fitts won't be back next season, or any season after the that. The 27-year-old announced on Instagram that he's retiring to protect his health, reports NBC's ProFootball Talk . “Due to too many concussions and the severity of my recent one, it is...
Former NFL Player Who
Killed 6 Had Severe CTE
Dec 14, 2021 11:32 AM CST
Former NFL Player Who Killed 6 Had Severe CTE
Family says Phillip Adams was 'desperately seeking help from the NFL'
- A former NFL player who went on a murderous rampage, killing six people and himself , had stage 2 chronic traumatic encephalopathy, better known as CTE. That's according to Boston University's Dr. Ann McKee, who examined Phillip Adams' brain tissue and found it was in a similar condition as...
It's a Dangerous Sport, and
One You May Least Suspect
Aug 3, 2021 11:55 AM CDT
It's a Dangerous Sport, and One You May Least Suspect
Concussions, other injuries are common in synchronized swimming
- The synchronized swimming competition gets underway this week at the Olympics, and for those who have only a superficial familiarity with the sport, two stories might provide a surprising revelation. "Synchronized Swimming Has a Concussion Problem," reads the headline in the
New York Times
. While a headline from...
Aren't During Games
Feb 2, 2021 8:12 AM CST
Most College Football Concussions Aren't During Games
The vast majority occur during practices
- Researchers looking into concussions among college football players came away with surprisingly strong evidence to back up a key takeaway: Most concussions occur during practice, not games, reports
. Related to that, a disproportionate number of concussions occur during preseason training—roughly half, even though that span accounts for...
She Was No. 1 and
Headed to Stanford.
Then Came the Hits
Dec 27, 2020 6:00 AM CST
She Was No. 1 and Headed to Stanford. Then Came the Hits
The 'LAT' looks at what happened to volleyball star Hayley Hodson
April 2015 cover featured the No. 1 college volleyball recruit in America: Hayley Hodson. A lengthy December 2020
Los Angeles Times
article about the player has a less positive flavor. The Californian, now 24, played for Stanford as a freshman and alleges that two blows to the...
Trump on Troop Concussions:
There Are Worse Things
Jan 22, 2020 10:10 AM CST
Trump on Troop Concussions: There Are Worse Things
'I've seen people with no legs and with no arms,' president says
- Additional US troops who were identified as having potential concussions tied to the Jan. 8 Iranian missile attack have been taken to Germany for treatment, defense officials said Tuesday. While the AP says no troop count was provided, the reportedly small group adds to the 11 who were removed from...
Steelers QB Has a Scary Day
Oct 6, 2019 3:30 PM CDT
Steelers QB Has a Scary Day
Mason Rudolph eventually got up and walked off the field
- Life as the Pittsburgh Steelers backup quarterback got scary Sunday when Mason Rudolph crumpled from a knockout blow,
reports. The 24-year-old had scrambled on third down and thrown successfully for a conversion when Baltimore Ravens linebacker Matt Judon hit him from behind and safety Earl Thomas from the...
2 Hits Were Really Bad. The
Other 19,126 Took a Toll, Too
Aug 15, 2019 8:33 AM CDT
2 Hits Were Really Bad. The Other 19,126 Took a Toll, Too
Study suggests that non-concussion hits also damage the brain
- Over the course of three seasons, only two hits to the heads of University of Rochester football players resulted in concussions. Sounds like pretty good news? Not so much. The other 19,126 hits among 38 players—as measured by helmet sensors—may have been smaller and did not result...
Bob Costas: Here's Why I Was
Pulled From NFL Coverage
Feb 11, 2019 1:47 AM CST
Bob Costas: Here's Why I Was Pulled From NFL Coverage
He says NBC wasn't happy about concussion remarks
- Sportscasting legend Bob Costas has parted ways with NBC after 40 years—and he's got a few things to get off his chest. Costas tells ESPN that he was pulled from the network's NFL coverage after repeatedly speaking out about the concussion crisis and the league's handling...
His Brain Was Betraying Him.
An Autopsy Showed Why
Feb 1, 2019 11:12 AM CST
His Brain Was Betraying Him. An Autopsy Showed Why
The 'NYT' looks at the life and death of Jason Hairston
- Kirstyn Hairston thought her husband might take his own life. But she didn't expect it would come so soon, or that he would do it in their home as the kids were downstairs. "But would you want to live if you knew you were losing your mind?" she...
Mom on College
'Maybe It's His Own Brain'
Dec 14, 2018 12:30 PM CST
Mom on College Footballer's Suicide: 'Maybe It's His Own Brain'
Augustus Lee's brain to be studied by concussion researchers
- Phyllis Lee was shocked to learn her 20-year-old son, a University of Richmond football player, had killed himself by asphyxiation in his car just off campus, where his body was found early Tuesday, per
. "I just wonder if something happened … because what he did was so...
This Might Not Be a Great
Idea for Women in Soccer
Oct 9, 2018 10:40 AM CDT
This Might Not Be a Great Idea for Women in Soccer
Study suggests female players suffer more brain damage than men after headers
- A new study suggests that girls and women who play soccer should think twice about going up for that next header. Research out of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine found that females were five times more likely than men to suffer damage to the brain, reports
Hit Caused a Concussion at
Age 12. He Was Dead by 13
Sep 13, 2018 10:20 AM CDT
Hit Caused a Concussion at Age 12. He Was Dead by 13
Bleacher Report looks at what happened to James Ransom after the hit
- On the drive home from the game on Sept. 12, 2015, Greg Ransom spotted blood on his 12-year-old son's ear. Ransom had been at James' Pop Warner football game that Saturday but didn't see the hit to his head. James that night simply explained he had his "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
Police Raid Moscow Gay Bars After Anti-LGBTQ+ Ruling
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.