Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Oct 11, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
Airline Promises Coffee That Doesn't Suck
Alaska Airlines says partnership with Stumptown 'delivers a remarkably smooth' cup at altitude
- Alaska Airlines is hoping to attract coffee lovers by touting a brew that tastes better in the air. Travelers may have noticed that airplane coffee doesn't measure up to the stuff served on solid ground. "You're experiencing 8,000 feet of air pressure, which reduces your perception...
McDonald's Sued in
Another Hot Coffee Case
Sep 20, 2023 2:43 PM CDT
McDonald's Sued in Another Hot Coffee Case
85-year-old woman says workers ignored her after she suffered severe burns
- An 85-year-old woman in San Francisco has filed the latest hot-coffee lawsuit against McDonald's, saying she suffered "severe burns and emotional distress" after buying coffee at a drive-through in June. Mabel Childress says the lid wasn't properly sealed and the coffee spilled on her when she tried...
In Italy, Starbucks Is
Putting Olive Oil in Coffee
Feb 23, 2023 11:18 AM CST
In Italy, Starbucks Is Putting Olive Oil in Coffee
CEO Howard Schultz says it adds an 'unexpected, velvety, buttery flavor'
- Nearly five years after it opened its first locations in Italy, Starbucks wants Italians to try something new: coffee with olive oil in it. The company says interim CEO Howard Schultz was traveling in Sicily last year when, inspired by the "Mediterranean custom of taking a spoonful of olive...
Single-Use Coffee Pods
May Be Better Than You Think
Jan 19, 2023 12:40 PM CST
Single-Use Coffee Pods May Be Better Than You Think
Making a cup with them has a smaller carbon footprint than using a coffee pot, say researchers
- When it comes to coffee-making, single-use pods get a bad rap, at least when it comes to the environment. A new study might change that. Canadian researchers have found that the traditional method of brewing coffee in a pot generally has a larger carbon footprint that using a pod, reports...
Starbucks Closing Up Shop
May 23, 2022 11:46 AM CDT
Starbucks Closing Up Shop Throughout Russia
Chain follows lead of McDonald's to permanently exit
- Russians already lost their Big Macs . Now, Starbucks is going, too. The coffee chain said Monday it's following the lead of McDonald's and other Western businesses and will exit Russia after 15 years to protest the invasion of Ukraine, reports NPR . The coffee chain will close its 130...
A Terrible Year for
Coffee Just Got Worse
Aug 30, 2021 9:21 AM CDT
A Terrible Year for Coffee Just Got Worse
COVID-related restrictions in 2nd-biggest grower, Vietnam, add to supply problems
- This has been a worrisome year for those in the coffee business because of a double whammy—first drought, then frost—in Brazil, the world's biggest grower. That has put more pressure on the world's second-biggest grower, Vietnam, to pick up the slack, but now Bloomberg reports on...
Your Cup of Coffee
May Have an
Aug 14, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
Your Cup of Coffee May Have an Unpleasant Origin Story
'NYT Magazine' explains how small, illegal farms are shrinking a jungle in Indonesia
- When you're pouring a cup of coffee, whether humble drip or some more exotic concoction, it's a safe bet you don't spend much time wondering exactly where those beans come from. As Wyatt Williams writes for the
New York Times Magazine
, coffee behemoths like it that way....
We're in a Perpetual 'Altered
State,' Thanks to Caffeine
in case you missed it
Jul 10, 2021 7:03 PM CDT
We're in a Perpetual 'Altered State,' Thanks to Caffeine
Author Michael Pollan explores our history and relationship with this 'invisible addiction'
- When author Michael Pollan decided to tackle the subject of psychoactive drugs—specifically, opium, mescaline, and caffeine—for his new book,
This Is Your Mind On Plants
, he consumed the first two in the name of experimental journalism. But he actually
using caffeine, just to see what would happen,...
This Fungus Kills Off Coffee.
Scientists Just Woke It Up
in case you missed it
Jun 6, 2021 7:55 AM CDT
This Fungus Kills Off Coffee. Scientists Just Woke It Up
Researchers wanted to see how Fusarium xylarioides functions to prevent future outbreaks
- Enjoy a steaming mug of Arabica or robusta in the morning? Give a high-five, then, to the scientists that have "reanimated" a fungus that kills off those varieties of coffee trees. It may sound counterintuitive, but researchers from Imperial College London have done just that, resurrecting cryogenically frozen samples...
Next Entry in Unconventional
Food: Coffee-Less Coffee
May 16, 2021 1:31 PM CDT
Next Entry in Unconventional Food: Coffee-Less Coffee
Atomo startup in Seattle uses seeds and nuts and a chemical process
- You can eat "meat" made from plants and drink "milk" made from nuts, but are you ready for coffee made without coffee? That's the question posed by a story in Bloomberg about a Seattle startup producing just such a brew. The concoction by Atomo Coffee is made...
an 'Act of War'
Apr 24, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
In Italy, an 'Act of War' Over Espresso
A bid for UN acknowledgement is foiled by a feud between north and south
- Coffee is serious business in Italy, and espresso in particular. Drinking it "is a way of life," per a post at euronews . No big surprise, then, that the nation is seeking to have its espresso tradition enshrined as a unique cultural treasure by a UN agency. But as...
Starbucks Makes Big Move
Toward a New 'Vision'
Jun 11, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
Starbucks Makes Big Move Toward a New 'Vision'
Company to close 400 stores to focus on takeout-only locations
- Starbucks is shifting away from its famous cafe experience in a change only partly inspired by the coronavirus pandemic. The coffee company tells CNN that it was reevaluating its coffee-selling model before the pandemic, as about 80% of transactions at its 15,000 US stores are "on-the-go" purchases. As...
Don't Make Coffee This Way
if You Have High Cholesterol
in case you missed it
Apr 26, 2020 7:11 AM CDT
Don't Make Coffee This Way if You Have High Cholesterol
Researchers say filtered coffee fares better for longevity than boiled or press-style varieties
- A Swedish study billing itself as the first to look at the tie between the way we brew our coffee and the risk of heart attacks and premature death says one type of brewing method appears healthier than the rest. The research published in the
European Journal of Preventive Cardiology
Made a Change
It Hopes You
Mar 9, 2020 9:29 AM CDT
Starbucks Just Made a Change It Hopes You Don't Notice
Company is testing greener coffee cup with biodegradable liner
- Starbucks' paper coffee cups aren't as easy to recycle as you may think. That's because it's challenging to separate the outer paper part from the thin plastic liner used on the inside to keep any hot beverage from seeping through. The chain hopes to change all of...
Clooney Reacts to
Child Labor Exposé
Feb 26, 2020 5:28 PM CST
Clooney Reacts to Nespresso-Linked Child Labor Exposé
'Clearly this board and this company still have work to do. And that work will be done'
- George Clooney has been Nespresso's brand ambassador since 2006, but after an investigation claimed to find six of the company's Guatemalan coffee suppliers use child labor, the actor is expressing regret. Per Deadline
and CNN , he says he joined Nespresso's sustainability advisory board seven years ago (along...
Starbucks Barista Prints
Nasty Word on Cop's Coffee
Nov 30, 2019 9:40 AM CST
Starbucks Barista Prints Nasty Word on Cop's Coffee
Oklahoma Police Chief Johnny O'Mara did not hold back
- An Oklahoma police officer was picking up Starbucks coffees on Thanksgiving and noticed a word on the label: "PIG." And it didn't end there. "This is what he gets for being nice," Kiefer Police Chief Johnny O'Mara wrote on Facebook , saying the coffees were...
The 'Willy Wonka's of
Coffee' Is Now Open
Nov 15, 2019 8:31 AM CST
The 'Willy Wonka's of Coffee' Is Now Open
Starbucks opens its biggest store ever in Chicago on Friday
- An "immersive, theatrical experience" is opening in Chicago on Friday, but it's not a Broadway show or some performance-art piece, unless you consider swirling milk foam on a venti latte particularly artistic. The world's largest Starbucks—or what
calls something "between a shrine to...
Uber Employees Are Now
Served Lowly Starbucks
Sep 30, 2019 10:45 AM CDT
Uber Employees Are Now Served Lowly Starbucks
They used to get craft coffee
- Uber's struggles have now hit its employees' coffee mugs. That's according to the
, which takes a look at how Uber's floundering since its May IPO—its stock price is down more than 25%, and Business Insider notes its market value sank Friday below GM's...
Found Dead in River
Jul 31, 2019 2:44 AM CDT
Founder of India's 'Starbucks' Found Dead in River
VG Siddhartha disappeared near bridge
- Fishermen found the body of an Indian coffee shop chain owner in a river on Wednesday, two days after he disappeared , police said. The body of Cafe Coffee Day founder VG Siddhartha has been identified, police Commissioner Sandeep Patel said. He didn't give other details. An autopsy was being...
Man Who Founded India's
Top Coffee Chain Is Missing
Jul 30, 2019 2:22 PM CDT
Man Who Founded India's Top Coffee Chain Is Missing
VG Siddhartha was last seen on a bridge Monday night
- Café Coffee Day is to India what Starbucks is to America, making the disappearance of the company's founder major news. The
Wall Street Journal
reports the last known sighting of VG Siddhartha was Monday night after he reportedly parted ways with his driver near a bridge over the Netravati...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Prosecutors: Inmate Stabbed Chauvin 22 Times
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.