Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest US Constitution news and the Bill of Rights on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Gavin Newsom Proposes
Jun 8, 2023 11:34 AM CDT
Gavin Newsom Proposes 28th Amendment
Governor wants to 'enshrine fundamental, broadly supported gun safety measures into law'
- There hasn't been a new amendment to the United States Constitution since the 27th Amendment in 1992—and that one took more than 200 years to ratify—but California Gov. Gavin Newsom is pushing for a 28th to deal with gun violence. According to a statement from the Democratic...
That's Not What He Meant
on Constitution, Trump Says
Dec 5, 2022 6:35 PM CST
That's Not What He Meant on Constitution, Trump Says
Pence criticizes statement by his former running mate
- After drawing widespread condemnation over his call to sideline the Constitution , former President Donald Trump maintained Monday that that's not what he meant. "The Fake News is actually trying to convince the American People that I said I wanted to 'terminate' the Constitution. This is simply more...
Few in GOP
Dec 4, 2022 5:15 PM CST
Few in GOP Differ With Trump on Constitution
McCarthy and McConnell say nothing publicly
- A few Republicans joined Democrats in denouncing former President Donald Trump's call for the "termination" of the Constitution , but none of them run the party's congressional delegations. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy had not said anything publicly about the scheme to...
Suspending the Constitution
Dec 4, 2022 6:14 AM CST
Trump Suggests Suspending the Constitution
He doubles down on election fraud claims as White House fires back at suggestion
- When he announced his reelection campaign, Donald Trump eased up on allegations of a stolen election in his speech. The former president ramped things back up in a big way this weekend, with a series of Truth Social posts calling for the suspension of the Constitution.
'Van Sinderen Constitution'
Could Sell for $30M
Nov 2, 2022 9:55 AM CDT
'Van Sinderen Constitution' Could Sell for $30M
Early copy of founding document up for auction for first time since 1894
- A group representing some 17,000 people who tried and failed to buy a rare copy of the US Constitution in a huge crowdfunding effort last year says it's "looking into" the upcoming auction of the only other early copy of the document held in private hands. About...
Also Not in
Jul 4, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
Also Not in Constitution: Court Having Final Say
Sotomayor pointed out that the justices grabbed onto the power of judicial review, Joshua Zeitz writes
- When the Supreme Court was holding oral arguments last December in the case that brought about the end of Roe v. Wade, Justice Sonia Sotomayor addressed the familiar argument that the Constitution doesn't mention a right to privacy. That fact was a central argument in the court's majority...
It Was the 'Largest
Ever. And It Failed
Nov 19, 2021 11:18 AM CST
It Was the 'Largest Crowdfunding Initiative' Ever. And It Failed
DAO with $46M in donations fails to purchase copy of US Constitution at auction
- A group of cryptocurrency investors has failed to win a rare copy of the US Constitution despite pooling $46 million toward that goal in what Artnet News calls "the largest crowdfunding initiative of all time." An anonymous private collector purchased the first-edition copy of the Constitution, one of...
One of Only 11 Early Copies
of Constitution Up for Auction
Sep 17, 2021 10:58 AM CDT
One of Only 11 Early Copies of Constitution Up for Auction
Sotheby's says it may fetch $20M
- A very special birth certificate will be auctioned off later this year—a rare copy of the US Constitution. Sotheby's announced Friday (appropriately on Constitution Day) that in November it will put up for auction one of just 11 surviving copies of the Constitution from the official first printing...
Could Trump Pardon Himself?
It May Hinge on Single Word
in case you missed it
Nov 29, 2020 10:25 AM CST
Could Trump Pardon Himself? It May Hinge on Single Word
That word is 'grant,' explains Eric L. Muller in the 'Atlantic'
- Could President Trump pardon himself before he leaves office? He faces possible liability on bank and tax issues, and a former prosecutor in the Robert Mueller investigation makes the case in a
New York Times
op-ed that he should get hit with obstruction charges, too. A president, of course, can...
Trump: 25th Amendment
Ploy Is About Biden, Not Me
Oct 9, 2020 12:07 PM CDT
Trump: 25th Amendment Ploy Is About Biden, Not Me
President accuses Pelosi of plotting to replace Biden with Kamala Harris
- House Democrats followed through on their promise to raise the profile of the 25th Amendment on Friday, introducing legislation that would create a 17-member panel to judge a president's fitness for the job. Rep. Jamie Raskin of Maryland, a former professor of constitutional law, reintroduced a version of the...
Nancy Pelosi: This Is
Aug 9, 2020 2:45 PM CDT
Nancy Pelosi: This Is 'Absurdly Unconstitutional'
The fight is on over Trump's executive orders
- Trump's executive actions are a done deal, right? Well, maybe not. Democrats and White House officials say they're still open to negotiating as questions swirl around the constitutionality of Trump's dramatic move Saturday—signing four actions to provide coronavirus relief amid stalled congressional talks, the
Virginia Capitol Erupts in
Cheers as ERA Wins Approval
Jan 15, 2020 7:30 PM CST
Virginia Capitol Erupts in Cheers as ERA Wins Approval
State is the 38th to ratify, but there are complications
- Vivian Watts has a photo taken 44 years ago of her demonstrating with her daughter for passage of the Equal Rights Amendment. She's wearing a sash in the photo, and on Wednesday, the Virginia legislator wore that sash to work. "Forty-four years is a long time to wait,...
Fox Host Gets
Mar 11, 2019 6:21 AM CDT
Fox Host Gets Rebuke Over Hijab Comments
Jeanine Pirro mused whether Rep. Ilhan Omar's headwear may be 'antithetical' to Constitution
- Freshman Rep. Ilhan Omar has been at the center of controversy over remarks she recently made that some call anti-Semitic, but a Fox News host's comments on Omar have themselves earned what CNN Business calls a "rare rebuke" from the network. On her program Saturday, Jeanine Pirro wondered...
for a Democrat
Nov 18, 2018 3:54 PM CST
Trump Has New Nickname for a Democrat
The president dismisses Rep. Adam Schiff
- President Donald Trump is name-calling Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff for saying Matthew Whitaker's appointment as acting attorney general is unconstitutional, the AP reports. Trump says Schiff shouldn't complain that Whitaker wasn't confirmed by the Senate because neither was special counsel Robert Mueller, who's investigating 2016 election...
Conservatives Are Seeking
Nov 3, 2018 2:18 PM CDT
Conservatives Are Seeking Constitutional Amendments
Among their goals: repealing the 17th Amendment
- Whatever success Republicans have amassed in taking control of all three branches of US government, and whatever fate awaits them as midterm elections near, some on the right are working to cement change by amending the Constitution, the AP reports. And to the mounting alarm of others on all parts...
Court: 'In God We Trust'
on Money Is Constitutional
Jun 5, 2018 1:03 AM CDT
Court: 'In God We Trust' on Money Is Constitutional
Satanist's lawsuit chucked out
- A federal court has ruled that printing "In God We Trust" on US currency doesn't amount to a religious endorsement and therefore doesn't violate the US Constitution. The
Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
reports the 7th US Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago made the ruling in a...
How a Student's
Bad Grade Changed
Mar 15, 2017 6:25 PM CDT
How a Student's Bad Grade Changed the Constitution
Gregory Watson's C might now become an A+
- When Gregory Watson first described his theory on how the 27th Amendment to the US Constitution—proposed in 1789 but still unratified in 1982—might finally be passed in a 1982 course paper, both his teaching assistant and professor at the University of Texas were unimpressed. "I didn't...
So I Can Be
Oct 29, 2015 11:11 AM CDT
10-Year-Old: Change Law So I Can Be POTUS
10-year-old says foreign adoption shouldn't dash her presidential ambitions
- Massachusetts is known for churning out its fair share of patriots, and Alena Mulhern is no exception. But when the Kingston 10-year-old first told her mom she hoped to be the president of the United States someday, Barbara Mulhern Caparell said, "Honey, unfortunately that's the only thing you...
Colo. Pot Law Makes
Us Violate Constitution:
Mar 5, 2015 12:05 PM CST
Colo. Pot Law Makes Us Violate Constitution: Sheriffs' Suit
Officials say legalization forces them into 'crisis of conscience'
- While Colorado citizens are taking advantage of their state's marijuana legalization , sheriffs there and in neighboring states are suffering a "crisis of conscience" in upholding that law, according to a suit filed against Colorado today in Denver. Per
, the lead plaintiff, Larimer County Sheriff Justin Smith,...
Constitutional Convention Quietly Gains Traction
in case you missed it
Dec 6, 2014 6:30 AM CST
Constitutional Convention Quietly Gains Traction
Never-before-used tactic is highly controversial
- The US Constitution has 27 amendments, all of which have been added in the usual manner laid out in high school civics texts. But Bloomberg catches up with a movement to alter the Constitution in a way that's never been done—by holding a constitutional convention to draft changes....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.