Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Is the Best-Run
City in America
Jun 21, 2022 4:23 PM CDT
This Is the Best-Run City in America
According to WalletHub, it's Nampa, Idaho; Washington, DC comes in last
- As the US continues along on its COVID recovery path, cities are trying to get back on their feet, with local leadership trying to balance continuing pandemic issues with the other complexities of running their municipalities. WalletHub was curious which cities across America are doing best at this task, including...
These Are the 10 Most
LGBTQ-Friendly US Cities
Jun 6, 2022 1:39 PM CDT
These Are the 10 Most LGBTQ-Friendly US Cities
San Francisco ranks No. 1, per LawnStarter
- June is Pride Month, and as LawnStarter notes, "Everyone wants the American dream—a home in a safe and supportive community—including LGBTQ people." That's why the site looked at 200 of the country's largest cities to see which ones qualify as LGBTQ-friendly, factoring in 19...
Here Are the Best, Worst Cities
in America to Raise a Family
May 31, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
Here Are the Best, Worst Cities in America to Raise a Family
Fremont, California, comes out on top; Detroit is last, per WalletHub
- Moving is a part of life—and for the family-oriented, it's especially critical to find a decent location to set down roots. WalletHub has tried to ease the burden by crunching the numbers in more than 180 of the country's largest cities, looking at nearly four dozen metrics...
This Is the
Apr 4, 2022 8:44 AM CDT
This Is the Healthiest City in America
San Francisco tops WalletHub's list; Brownsville, Texas, brings up the rear
- The pandemic made many reassess the importance of staying fit, so WalletHub looked at more than 180 of the most populated US cities to see which are helping residents live their best wellness lives in four main categories:
(including such factors as cost of basic medicine, quality of...
Hope to Move Here
Mar 18, 2022 12:41 PM CDT
After College, Young People Hope to Move Here
Seattle is most desired location, besting New York and Los Angeles in survey
- Americans' top post-college destination isn't New York or Los Angeles. It's Seattle, according to a list of the most desired locations of college students after graduation, complied by Axios and The Generation Lab as part of their Next Cities Index . The Emerald City was the overall winner, being...
A Demographic Shift
Underway for Black Americans
Mar 14, 2022 11:04 AM CDT
A Demographic Shift Underway for Black Americans
The AP explores a movement from bigger cities to smaller ones
- Brandon Manning and his wife were both born in the South and had been itching to return, but Manning didn't want to go back to his native Atlanta because of the traffic, housing costs, and sprawl. So, when he was offered a job teaching at Texas Christian University in...
Want a Perpetual Smile
on Your Face? Move Here
Mar 1, 2022 9:40 AM CST
Want a Perpetual Smile on Your Face? Move Here
WalletHub ranks the happiest cities in the US, with 6 out of the top 10 falling in one state
- Bobby McFerrin can only offer so many insinuations that being happy is just a state of mind. After all, there are real, measurable factors that can help boost one's happiness level, and in some parts of the US, those factors can be found in spades. WalletHub looked at more...
This Is the City With
the Most Active Lifestyle
Jan 6, 2022 12:52 PM CST
This Is the City With the Most Active Lifestyle
San Francisco tops WalletHub's ranking, while North Las Vegas brings up the rear
- Juggling work, family, and one's own health and fitness can be a daunting task, and the latter often takes a back seat to all other responsibilities. The pandemic has caused even more people to stay away from gyms and other indoor activities. But there are some cities where residents...
Looking for a Job?
Check Out These Cities
Jan 4, 2022 5:52 PM CST
Looking for a Job? Check Out These Cities
Columbia, Md., tops WalletHub's list
- New year, new career—or at least a gig that's better than the one you've got? If a more satisfying or better-paying job is on your list of 2022 goals, some cities may be better bets than others, according to WalletHub . The site looked at more than 180...
These US Cities Have the
Most, Least Holiday Spirit
Dec 15, 2021 9:30 AM CST
These US Cities Have the Most, Least Holiday Spirit
New York City is the most festive of all, while Enterprise, Nev., is a bit of a Grinch
- With 2022 almost upon us, it's the time of year when we wind down and kick back, which often includes a fair bit of festivities. LawnStarter wanted to know which places boast the most spirit of the season, so the site looked at the 200 largest cities in the...
10 US Cities Where
People Really Care
Dec 14, 2021 11:05 AM CST
10 US Cities Where People Really Care
Madison, Wis., ranks highest in WalletHub's ranking
- In a world that's become unpredictable, it's comforting to know that across the country, there are still people who care. In some US cities, that compassion and concern for others' well-being has taken priority, and WalletHub is giving them their due. The site looked at America's 100...
Least Fun Cities
Dec 8, 2021 6:09 PM CST
America's Most, Least Fun Cities
Chicago outranks NYC on Wallethub list
- Fun means different things to different people, so Wallethub looked at no fewer than 65 different metrics for its list of this year's most fun cities in America, including the availability of dozens of kinds of recreation and entertainment facilities, the local nightlife—and how much it all costs....
Here Are the Most
Generous Cities in America
Nov 30, 2021 12:00 PM CST
Here Are the Most Generous Cities in America
Minneapolis and Seattle top LawnStarter's list
- If you're wondering why your socials are suddenly filled with requests for charitable donations, allow us to solve the mystery: It's Giving Tuesday, a day to open up one's wallet for good causes after doing the same in the name of consumerism on Black Friday and Cyber...
If You Want to Avoid Vampires,
Here's Where You Should Go
Oct 30, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
If You Want to Avoid Vampires, Here's Where You Should Go
Best and worst cities ranked by garlic festivals, blood centers
- If you’re looking for a place to live with lots of jobs , the best place to raise a family , a place to retire , a safe city , a small city , a big city , or a city with a high vaccination rate , there’s a list out there for you. Magazines...
Here Are the
10 Best Small
Cities in America
Oct 20, 2021 8:40 AM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best Small Cities in America
Sammamish in Wash. state ranks No. 1 on WalletHub's list
- Maybe you're not into country living, but the hustle and bustle of a major metropolis feels a bit too hectic. A smaller city may be just what you're looking for, and WalletHub has the details on which ones may suit you best. The site pulled out more than...
This State Looks Tempting
Sep 7, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Nearing Retirement? This State Looks Tempting
4 Fla. cities, including Orlando, make WalletHub's top 10 list for the best places to retire
- Whether you're decades away from retirement or right around the corner, where you head after you clock out for the last time may already be percolating. WalletHub looked at more than 180 of America's cities, analyzing metrics in four main categories: affordability (cost of living, taxpayer friendliness, and...
Billionaire Unveils Plans for
'Most Inclusive City in the World'
Sep 7, 2021 7:52 AM CDT
Billionaire Unveils Plans for 'Most Inclusive City in the World'
Marc Lore's Telosa, to be built in some US desert, will be a sustainable, 'equitable' metropolis
- He's helmed Jets.com and Diapers.com and served as a top Walmart exec. Now, billionaire and entrepreneur Marc Lore has a new project in the works, as long as he can pull together more than $400 billion. That's the amount the 50-year-old says he needs to build...
2020 Census: Here Are
the 10 Biggest US Cities
Aug 13, 2021 9:44 AM CDT
2020 Census: Here Are the 10 Biggest US Cities
All the cities on this list grew over the past decade
- Data from the 2020 census is out, and for the first time, each of the 10 largest US cities have 1 million people or more . Per the Census Bureau , those urban centers all grew from 2010 to last year, and eight of those 10 grew at a faster rate in...
OK, We Get It—This
City Is Extremely Fit
Jul 13, 2021 8:07 AM CDT
OK, We Get It—This City Is Extremely Fit
Arlington, Va., named fittest city in America for 4th straight year on ACSM's annual list
- For the 14th straight year, the American College of Sports Medicine, in conjunction with the Anthem Foundation, has published its Fitness Index , ranking America's largest 100 cities and Washington, DC, on more than 30 indicators regarding various health behaviors, local infrastructure, and chronic diseases. And for the fourth year...
10 Most, Least
Stressed US Cities
Jul 12, 2021 11:45 AM CDT
10 Most, Least Stressed US Cities
Per WalletHub, Cleveland needs a chill pill, while S. Burlington in Vermont is kicking back just fine
- It's been a tough 16 months, and stress levels have been high—though in some cities across the country, that stress has been tougher to contend with than in others. WalletHub wanted to see which places have been dealing with things best (and which not so much), so it...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law & Order Actress Drowns in NY River
Witness at Surprise Jan. 6 Hearing Is Revealed
Trump Reportedly Lunged for Steering Wheel on Jan. 6
46 Found Dead in 18-Wheeler in San Antonio
After Going Dark in 2020, 'Q' of QAnon Is Back
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.