Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jewish Doctor Fired for
Anti-Hamas Posts Sues
Nov 24, 2023 2:54 PM CST
Jewish Doctor Fired for Anti-Hamas Posts Sues
Dr. Benjamin Neel accuses NYU Langone of wrongful termination, religious discrimination
- Pilots , journalists , professors , and doctors have been fired or otherwise disciplined for comments supporting and condemning Israel's offensive in Gaza, and now, in what will add to a nationwide debate over what's considered protected speech amid the Israel-Hamas war, one doctor is suing in response. Dr. Benjamin...
IDF: Here's Proof
of Hamas Tunnels
Nov 20, 2023 7:25 AM CST
IDF: Here's Proof of Hamas Tunnels Under Hospital
Israel says footage of shaft, tunnel is evidence of complex Hamas tunnel network under Gaza facility
- The world wanted evidence, and Israel now says it has it. On Sunday, the IDF said in a statement that it had discovered a tunnel underneath Gaza's Shifa Hospital, proof that the militant group was using the hospital as a command center. The IDF had long insisted that was...
Gunman Opens Fire in Hospital
Lobby, Killing Security Guard
Nov 18, 2023 10:45 AM CST
Gunman Opens Fire in Hospital Lobby, Killing Security Guard
State trooper then killed gunman at Concord's New Hampshire Hospital, a psychiatric facility
- Two people are dead after a shooting at a New Hampshire psychiatric hospital, including the gunman, according to authorities. Per the
, the shooting took place around 3:30pm ET on Friday in the lobby of Concord's New Hampshire Hospital, with state police reporting that the gunman was...
Israel: Body of 2nd Hostage
Found Near Gaza Hospital
Nov 17, 2023 7:22 AM CST
Israel: Body of 2nd Hostage Found Near Gaza Hospital
Israeli authorities say body of 19-year-old Noa Marciano was discovered
- Israel Defense Forces troops in Gaza say they've found the body of yet another hostage taken during the deadly Oct. 7 Hamas attack on Israel, reports the BBC . The Daily Beast identifies this hostage as 19-year-old Noa Marciano, whose body "was found and extracted by IDF troops adjacent...
A Risky Hernia Procedure
Is Gaining Popularity
Nov 5, 2023 4:25 PM CST
A Risky Hernia Procedure Is Gaining Popularity
'New York Times' takes a in-depth look at component separation
- Some doctors are learning how to perform a complicated and risky medical procedure that has recently gained popularity by watching online videos or attending quick trainings. And the
New York Times
reports that in a growing number of cases, patients are being left painfully disfigured after going under the knife....
Two NY Hospitals Turn Away
Patients After Cyberattack
Oct 20, 2023 3:47 PM CDT
Two NY Hospitals Turn Away Patients After Cyberattack
Health care network is taking its IT systems down
- Two hospitals in New York were hit with a cyberattack and are diverting patients to other facilities, hospital officials said Friday. The cyberattack affected computer systems at HealthAlliance Hospital in Kingston along with Margaretville Hospital and Mountainside Residential Care Center—all part of the Westchester Medical Center Health Network, the...
Kaiser Permanente Reaches
Deal With 75K Workers
Oct 13, 2023 9:03 AM CDT
Kaiser Permanente Reaches Deal With 75K Workers
Health care staffers already staged one strike and had threatened another
- Unions representing 75,000 health care workers who recently held a strike against industry giant Kaiser Permanente over wages and staffing shortages have reached a tentative agreement with the company, per the AP . The three-day strike last week involving 75,000 workers in multiple states officially ended last Saturday, and...
Over Ohio Girl
Who Got Abortion
Sep 18, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
Indiana AG Sues Hospital Over Ohio Girl Who Got Abortion
Todd Rokita says IU Health violated privacy laws when doctor spoke about case publicly
- Indiana's attorney general has sued the state's largest hospital system, claiming it violated patient privacy laws when a doctor publicly shared the story of an Ohio girl who traveled to Indiana for an abortion. The lawsuit, filed Friday in Indianapolis federal court, marked Attorney General Todd Rokita's...
Turns to GoFundMe
Sep 14, 2023 4:20 PM CDT
Cash-Strapped Hospital Turns to GoFundMe
CEO struggling to meet payroll sets $1.5M goal
- The CEO of a small, independent hospital in Pennsylvania wrote to government officials in the area last month about the dire financial straits Bucktail Medical Center was in. Tim Reeves reminded them that he'd kept them informed about the deteriorating situation, the
Lock Haven Express
reports, and that he...
Arrested at Fundraiser
Aug 12, 2023 7:00 AM CDT
Ammon Bundy Arrested at Fundraiser
Anti-government activist has been embroiled in defamation case brought by Idaho hospital
- Ammon Bundy has been arrested in Idaho. KTVB reports that the 47-year-old anti-government extremist was taken into custody Friday night while attending a high school football fundraiser in Emmett. The station has video of an annoyed-looking Bundy being handcuffed and led away by law enforcement. Bundy was arrested on a...
Hospital ERs to Close
Aug 4, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
Cyberattack Forces Hospital ERs to Close
Locations in multiple states are affected
- A cyberattack has disrupted hospital computer systems in multiple states, forcing some emergency rooms to close and ambulances to be diverted, and many primary care services remained closed on Friday as security experts worked to determine the extent of the problem and resolve it. The data security attack began Thursday...
Bagels Caused Drug Tests
to Be Positive, Women Say
Mar 20, 2023 4:23 PM CDT
Bagels Caused Drug Tests to Be Positive, Women Say
Civil rights complaint says hospitals launched investigations based on bad results
- It was the poppy seeds on their breakfast bagels, say two New Jersey women who tested positive for opiate use. But the issue isn't so much the false positives as it is the drug tests. The women say they didn't consent to the tests during their hospital stays,...
They Came In With Paddles to
Save Him. A Fireball Erupted
Nov 29, 2022 10:30 AM CST
They Came In With Paddles to Save Him. A Fireball Erupted
Family says dad died after fireball caused by defibrillator in Nashville hospital
- A Tennessee woman says her husband died on Thanksgiving after catching fire in a Nashville hospital, and now his family is speaking out to prevent something like this from happening again. Kathy Stark tells WKRN that earlier this month she had her spouse of 35 years, Bobby Ray, brought to...
Mom of Hospital Escapee:
'Terrified for the Community'
Jun 30, 2022 11:52 AM CDT
Mom of Hospital Escapee: 'Terrified for the Community'
Texas man found not guilty by reason of insanity of killing his dad escapes from North Texas hospital
- A Texas man acquitted eight years ago of murdering his father by reason of insanity has fled the hospital where he was being held, and his mom says she's "terrified" for him, their family, and the community at large. "I never, ever imagined that he would ever...
Doctor, 2 Nurses
Stabbed at LA Hospital
Jun 4, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Doctor, 2 Nurses Stabbed at LA Hospital
Suspect taken into custody after attack at Encino Hospital Medical Center; victims hospitalized
- Chaos unfolded at a Los Angeles hospital Friday after police say a man walked in and stabbed a doctor and two nurses. Deputy Chief Alan Hamilton of the LAPD tells KTLA that the suspect entered Encino Hospital Medical Center shortly before 4pm local time to "seek treatment" after a...
Hospital Worker Arrested
After Baby's 'Sudden' Death
May 23, 2022 8:58 AM CDT
Hospital Worker Arrested After Baby's 'Sudden' Death
Person in custody said to be nurse at Birmingham Children's Hospital, suspected of poisoning
- Just hours after an infant died in the ICU at a prominent UK medical center, an arrest has been made. The BBC reports that a 27-year-old health worker was suspended from her job and brought into custody "on suspicion of administering poison with intent to endanger life." ITV...
of Nurse Sets
Mar 30, 2022 5:06 PM CDT
Advocates: Conviction of Nurse Sets Progress Back
Verdict could encourage hospitals to cover up mistakes
- The moment nurse RaDonda Vaught realized she had given a patient the wrong medication, she rushed to the doctors working to revive 75-year-old Charlene Murphey and told them what she had done. Within hours, she made a full report of her mistake to the Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Murphey died...
Bids on This Banksy Art
'Escalated Quickly,' for a Cause
Mar 29, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
Bids on This Banksy Art 'Escalated Quickly,' for a Cause
Proceeds from 'CND Soldiers,' which sold for $106K, will all go to Kyiv children's hospital
- An unknown donor has sold off a piece of anti-war Banksy art, with the funds raised from the sale earmarked for Ukraine's largest children's hospital. The BBC reports that the UK artist's "CND Soldiers" was auctioned off for just north of $106,000, which will be...
Dec 24, 2021 4:45 PM CST
Children's Hospitals Fill Up
Number of pediatric COVID patients has risen 13% in 10 days
- Children largely escaped illness during last winter's COVID-19 surge. Not this time. In many parts of the nation, pediatric hospitals already are dealing with a surge in admissions, now that the omicron variant has arrived before their delta patients have recovered and gone home, the
Health Care Workers Can Get
Back on the Job Sooner
Dec 23, 2021 7:20 PM CST
Health Care Workers Can Get Back on the Job Sooner
CDC shortens isolation period after positive COVID test
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention relaxed a pandemic rule for health care workers on Thursday, but it's not because COVID-19 is under control. Fearing hospital staffs will be overwhelmed by the surge in cases, the CDC will allow workers who tested positive for the disease to end...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Awards Season Kicks Off With De Niro Going Off-Script
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.