Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Day After Truce Collapse,
Israel Bombards Southern Gaza
Dec 2, 2023 9:00 AM CST
Day After Truce Collapse, Israel Bombards Southern Gaza
Hamas-run Health Ministry says at least 200 Palestinians died since fighting resumed Friday
- Israel pounded targets in the crowded southern half of the Gaza Strip on Saturday and ordered more neighborhoods designated for attack to evacuate, driving up the death toll even as the United States and others urged it to do more to protect Gaza civilians a day after a truce collapsed....
Report: Israel Had Details of
Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Dec 1, 2023 6:33 AM CST
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Per 'New York Times,' Israeli officials didn't take 'Jericho Wall' document on massacre seriously
- More than a year before the Oct. 7 Hamas attack in Israel that left around 1,200 people dead and kick-started the latest war between the nation and the militant group, Israel had a document detailing pretty much to the letter how Hamas would carry out the massacre. But as...
Activist Who Went
Viral as Teen
Nov 30, 2023 7:30 AM CST
Activist Who Went Viral as Teen Among Newly Freed Palestinians
Ahed Tamimi, 22, who slapped Israeli soldiers 6 years ago, among latest group released by Israel
- Hamas released another 16 hostages on Wednesday amid the temporary pause in fighting in Gaza, and in exchange, Israel set free 30 prisoners of its own—among them, a notable Palestinian activist. The AP reports that a bus transporting some of the latter arrived in Ramallah, in the West Bank,...
Israel-Hamas Truce Extended
With Just Minutes to Spare
Nov 30, 2023 12:00 AM CST
Israel-Hamas Truce Extended With Just Minutes to Spare
Deal had been set to expire as negotiations got difficult
- Israel and Hamas on Thursday agreed to extend a temporary truce by another day minutes before it was set to expire, said Qatar, which has been mediating between the two sides. Negotiations on extending it came down to the wire, with last-minute disagreements over the hostages to be freed by...
16 More Hostages
Nov 29, 2023 5:20 PM CST
Hamas Releases 16 More Hostages
Talks are underway to extend truce
- Hamas released another 16 hostages Wednesday as talks to extend the truce with Israel continued. The BBC reports that two Russian-Israeli women were released to the Red Cross Wednesday and returned to Israel. Another 10 Israelis and four Thai citizens were later released to the Red Cross. Qatari authorities said...
Died in Airstrike
Nov 29, 2023 12:31 PM CST
Hamas Claims Youngest Hostage Died in Airstrike
Israel is investigating claims that Kfir Bibas is dead
- The youngest of the hostages taken by Hamas on Oct. 7 is Kfir Bibas, 10 months. On Wednesday, Hamas claimed the infant is dead. The militant group's armed wing, the Al-Qassam Brigades, said Kfir died in an Israeli airstrike on the Gaza Strip along with two of the family...
As More Hostages
Are Freed, Israel
Nov 29, 2023 6:52 AM CST
As More Hostages Are Freed, Israel Sees 'Competing Demands'
Whether nation will further extend temporary pause in Gaza fighting or resume the war is a question
- Israel said a dozen more hostages—10 Israelis and two Thai nationals—were released Tuesday by Hamas, on the fifth day of a pause in fighting that's set to expire early Thursday. A tweet from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office noted that the families of this newest set...
Israel, Hamas Agree
to Extend Ceasefire
Nov 27, 2023 11:04 AM CST
Israel, Hamas Agree to Extend Ceasefire
Truce will hold 2 more days after Monday
- Israel and Hamas agreed to extend their ceasefire for two more days past Monday, the Qatari government said, bringing the prospect of a longer halt to their deadliest and most destructive war and further exchanges of militant-held hostages for Palestinians imprisoned by Israel. The announcement, made by Qatari Foreign Ministry...
Jewish Doctor Fired for
Anti-Hamas Posts Sues
Nov 24, 2023 2:54 PM CST
Jewish Doctor Fired for Anti-Hamas Posts Sues
Dr. Benjamin Neel accuses NYU Langone of wrongful termination, religious discrimination
- Pilots , journalists , professors , and doctors have been fired or otherwise disciplined for comments supporting and condemning Israel's offensive in Gaza, and now, in what will add to a nationwide debate over what's considered protected speech amid the Israel-Hamas war, one doctor is suing in response. Dr. Benjamin...
Hamas Releases First Group
of Hostages Under Truce
Nov 24, 2023 10:40 AM CST
Hamas Releases First Group of Hostages Under Truce
13 Israelis, 12 Thai nationals are set free as ceasefire begins on Friday
- An initial set of hostages abducted from Israel on Oct. 7 has been set free, just as a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas began on Friday, according to media reports and various officials. Thirteen Israelis are said to be in that newly released group, while Thai Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin...
Ceasefire Start Time
Nov 23, 2023 10:46 AM CST
Hamas Confirms Ceasefire Start Time
It will begin at 7am local time Friday before 13 hostages are exchanged for 39 prisoners
- We have a date and time: The ceasefire between Israel and Hamas will begin at 7am local time Friday (12am EST), allowing humanitarian relief to enter Gaza as hostages taken by Hamas are exchanged for Palestinian prisoners held in Israel, according to a rep from Qatar's Foreign Ministry, which...
Hostage Deal Will See
Release of 3 Americans
Nov 22, 2023 7:45 AM CST
Hostage Deal Will See Release of 3 Americans
Israel, Hamas agree to 4-day pause in fighting, which could be extended
- Both Israel and Hamas have agreed to a humanitarian ceasefire that will see the release of at least 50 hostages taken by Hamas in the Oct. 7 attack that triggered the deadliest conflict in history between the two enemies. It's believed hostages will be released in groups of 10...
Israel: Hostage Deal
Is in the Works
Nov 21, 2023 10:45 AM CST
Israel: Hostage Deal Is in the Works
Cabinet meeting on Tuesday as mediators work on deal that would include temporary ceasefire
- Israel's Cabinet was to convene Tuesday to consider a deal for the release of some of the hostages held by Hamas, as troops battled militants in an urban refugee camp in north Gaza and around hospitals overcrowded with patients and sheltering families. Details of any deal, worked out through...
IDF: Here's Proof
of Hamas Tunnels
Nov 20, 2023 7:25 AM CST
IDF: Here's Proof of Hamas Tunnels Under Hospital
Israel says footage of shaft, tunnel is evidence of complex Hamas tunnel network under Gaza facility
- The world wanted evidence, and Israel now says it has it. On Sunday, the IDF said in a statement that it had discovered a tunnel underneath Gaza's Shifa Hospital, proof that the militant group was using the hospital as a command center. The IDF had long insisted that was...
Israel: Body of 2nd Hostage
Found Near Gaza Hospital
Nov 17, 2023 7:22 AM CST
Israel: Body of 2nd Hostage Found Near Gaza Hospital
Israeli authorities say body of 19-year-old Noa Marciano was discovered
- Israel Defense Forces troops in Gaza say they've found the body of yet another hostage taken during the deadly Oct. 7 Hamas attack on Israel, reports the BBC . The Daily Beast identifies this hostage as 19-year-old Noa Marciano, whose body "was found and extracted by IDF troops adjacent...
House Dems Whisked Out of
DNC HQ Amid Ceasefire Protest
Nov 16, 2023 7:24 AM CST
House Dems Whisked Out of DNC HQ Amid Ceasefire Protest
USCP says 6 officers were injured by 'violent' protesters; protesters say police attacked them
- A protest Wednesday outside DC's Democratic National Committee headquarters in favor of a ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war led to an evacuation of House Democrats sheltered there, as well as violent clashes between demonstrators and law enforcement. US Capitol Police and DC's Metropolitan Police were on the scene...
Biden to Families of Hostages:
'Hang in There, We're Coming'
Nov 14, 2023 4:46 PM CST
Biden to Families of Hostages: 'Hang in There, We're Coming'
He says he believes deal between Hamas, Israel will happen
- President Biden said Tuesday that he has a message for people whose loved ones are being held hostage by Hamas in Gaza: "Hang in there, we're coming." Sources tell CNN that after prolonged talks, Israel and Hamas are moving closer to a deal to free some of...
Hubbub: 'I Want
an Open Debate'
Nov 13, 2023 8:15 AM CST
Cartoonist at Center of
Hubbub: 'I Want an Open Debate'
Michael Ramirez says yanked cartoon wasn't racist but a specific depiction of a senior Hamas rep
may have belatedly not approved of his Hamas-themed editorial cartoon, but Michael Ramirez is now making the rounds to defend his work. The political cartoonist sat down with both CNN and Fox Digital to further explain the cartoon behind the commotion, which depicted a Hamas leader with...
'in Poor Taste' From Site
Nov 9, 2023 9:40 AM CST
Scrubs Cartoon 'in Poor Taste' From Site
Critics say editorial panel depicting Hamas leader wearing children as human shields was racist
- An editorial cartoon in the
touching on the Israel-Hamas war has been scrubbed from the newspaper's website after reader backlash accused it of being racist and dehumanizing to Palestinians. That's per the
itself, which reports that the cartoon by Pulitzer Prize winner Michael Ramirez was...
What Their Goal Is
Nov 8, 2023 11:25 AM CST
Hamas Leader Tells the
What Their Goal Is
To bring the Palestinian cause to the fore using violence
- In the month since Hamas' surprise attack on Israel, the
New York Times
has spoken with Hamas leadership about what their objective was in launching it. Chaos and carnage was the point, they say. "Hamas' goal is not to run Gaza and to bring it water and electricity and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Her Body Was Found by Rock Climbers 26 Years Ago
$100M Botticelli Found in Home
Prosecutors: Inmate Stabbed Chauvin 22 Times
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.