Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Biden Is Extending
Student Loan Pause
Nov 22, 2022 5:39 PM CST
Biden Is Extending Student Loan Pause
Pause on repayments will continue while debt cancellation plan faces legal challenges
- President Biden announced Tuesday that his administration will extend the pause on federal student loan payments while the White House fights a legal battle to save his plan to cancel portions of the debt. "It isn't fair to ask tens of millions of borrowers eligible for relief to...
Appeals Court Grants Injunction
Blocking Student Debt Plan
Nov 14, 2022 4:18 PM CST
Appeals Court Grants Injunction Blocking Student Debt Plan
Courts have kept Biden's forgiveness plan from getting started
- A federal appeals court granted a preliminary injunction Monday pausing President Biden's program to wipe clean billions of dollars in student debt, the AP reports. Six states challenging the plan had asked the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals in St. Louis for an injunction while issues around the case...
Debt Plan Hits
Oct 22, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Biden's Student Debt Plan Hits Temporary Roadblock
Federal appeals court puts relief program on hold for now as it reviews case brought by 6 GOP states
President Biden's student loan relief program has been put on hold, at least temporarily, due to an order from a federal appeals court. The
New York Times
reports that the directive from the 8th US Circuit Court of Appeals, which mandates that the debt cancellation set to start...
Group Asks Supreme Court
to Block Student Loan Relief
Oct 19, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Group Asks Supreme Court to Block Student Loan Relief
Emergency filing says Biden program usurps congressional spending authority
- No sooner had the Education Department launched its site to accept applications for student debt cancellation than the Supreme Court received an emergency request to block the whole program. A group of Wisconsin taxpayers took its request Wednesday to Justice Amy Coney Barrett, who handles emergency filings involving the 7th...
Application Site Opens
for Relief on Student Loans
Oct 17, 2022 4:53 PM CDT
Application Site Opens for Relief on Student Loans
Online form for Biden's plan will be available during beta testing
- The Education Department has begun accepting applications for President Biden's student debt cancellation—a plan that makes 43 million Americans eligible for at least some debt forgiveness. Borrowers were notified late Friday that an early, "beta launch" version of an online form was made available as the department...
Some Borrowers Ineligible
After Student Loan Plan Tweak
Sep 30, 2022 1:10 AM CDT
Some Borrowers Ineligible After Student Loan Plan Tweak
The change was quietly made the same day 6 GOP-led states sued
- With six Republican-led states now suing to stop President Biden's student loan debt relief plan from coming to pass, his administration on Thursday made a quiet, unannounced change to that plan. As CNN reports, about 770,000 borrowers whose federal student loans are guaranteed by the government but are...
Lawsuit Seeks to Block
Biden Loan Forgiveness Plan
Sep 27, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
Lawsuit Seeks to Block Biden Loan Forgiveness Plan
Plaintiff argues that he'll be forced to pay state income tax on forgiven debt
- President Biden's student loan debt forgiveness plan is being challenged by a lawsuit seeking to block it just before it can take effect. In the lawsuit filed in the US District Court for the Southern District of Indiana Tuesday, public interest lawyer Frank Garrison argues that he will be...
CBO to Biden: Here's
Your Student Debt Price Tag
Sep 27, 2022 6:15 AM CDT
CBO to Biden: Here's Your Student Debt Price Tag
$400B over the next 30 years, it estimates
- President Biden’s plan for student debt cancellation will cost the federal government about $400 billion over the next 30 years, according to new estimates from the Congressional Budget Office. The figures were released Monday in response to a request from Republican lawmakers who oppose Biden’s plan in large...
White House Has Fiery Reply
to Critics of Student Loan Plan
Aug 26, 2022 8:26 AM CDT
White House Has Fiery Reply to Critics of Student Loan Plan
@WhiteHouse tweets their criticism and their own loan forgiveness total
- There are plenty of critics of President Biden's student loan forgiveness plan—and on Thursday the White House called out a select group of them by name, reports Politico . The White House Twitter account retweeted a series of tweets from Republican members of Congress blasting the Biden move. On...
Critics Call Biden Student Debt
Plan a 'Regressive Mistake'
Aug 25, 2022 7:22 AM CDT
Critics Call Biden Student Debt Plan a 'Regressive Mistake'
'WaPo' calls it 'ill-conceived and misdirected'
- President Biden rolled out his long-awaited plan for federal student loan debt forgiveness on Wednesday—but while it will erase student debt for an estimated 20 million Americans and reduce it for many millions more, the list of people criticizing the plan is a long one, including those who say...
Biden Reveals His Plan for
Canceling Student Loan Debt
Aug 24, 2022 11:02 AM CDT
Biden Reveals His Plan for Canceling Student Loan Debt
Many borrowers will see $10K in loan forgiveness
- On Wednesday President Biden made good on his campaign promise to ease the burden of federal student loan debt. Under Biden's plan, many Americans will be granted $10,000 in debt cancellation; those with the greatest financial need could see an additional $10,000 wiped away. The specifics, per...
Report: Biden Will
Make Big Student Loan
Aug 23, 2022 6:01 PM CDT
Report: Biden Will Make Big Student Loan Announcement Wednesday
Insiders say debt forgiveness plan will include $125K income cap
- President Biden on Wednesday is set to announce his long-delayed move to forgive up to $10,000 in federal student loans for many Americans and extend a pause on payments to January, the AP reports, citing three people familiar with the plan. Biden has faced pressure from liberals to provide...
Decision on Student Loans
Coming in 'Next Week or So'
Aug 22, 2022 3:00 AM CDT
Decision on Student Loans Coming in 'Next Week or So'
Nobody has been required to make a student loan payment since March 2020
- The Biden administration will announce something about student loans "within the next week or so." Per the Hill, Education Secretary Miguel Cardona promised on Sunday's
Meet the Press
that an announcement is forthcoming ahead of an Aug. 31 deadline, after which loan payments are scheduled to resume....
ITT Tech Grads Get 3.9B
Bits of Good News From Biden
Aug 16, 2022 3:30 PM CDT
ITT Tech Grads Get 3.9B Bits of Good News From Biden
$3.9B in student loans will automatically be forgiven
- Some Americans who incurred federal student loans as many as 17 years ago will see them erased. The Biden administration on Tuesday announced that students who used federal loans to attend ITT Technical Institute as far back as 2005 will automatically see their remaining debt canceled. CNBC reports that amounts...
GAO: So About That $114B
Due In From Student Loans...
Aug 2, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
GAO: So About That $114B Due In From Student Loans...
Watchdog report: Education Dept. is instead set to lose about $197B, partly due to COVID relief
- The Department of Education had been banking on getting its hands on $114 billion or so in income due from federal student loans issued over the past quarter-century. Instead, a watchdog has delivered some bad news: It's actually set to lose $197 billion, in part due to the suspension...
Biden Administration Scraps
$5.8B in Student Loans at Chain
Jun 1, 2022 8:05 PM CDT
Biden Administration Scraps $5.8B in Student Loans at Chain
For-profit Corinthian Colleges shut down in 2015 after fraud findings
- Hundreds of thousands of students who attended the for-profit Corinthian Colleges chain will automatically have their federal student loans canceled, the Biden administration announced Wednesday, a move that aims to bring closure to one of the most notorious cases of fraud in American higher education. Under the new action, all...
Don't Expect a Huge Number
on Biden's Student Loan Salve
Apr 29, 2022 12:46 PM CDT
Don't Expect a Huge Number on Biden's Student Loan Salve
President still considering 'some debt reduction,' but not the $50K-per-borrower some Dems want
- Reducing, or outright eliminating, debt for the 43 million people who've borrowed money via federal student loans has long been a top priority on progressives' wish list. And President Biden is seriously considering "some debt reduction," he announced this week, though advocates shouldn't get their hopes...
Big Help Coming for
Millions of Student
Apr 20, 2022 7:04 AM CDT
Big Help Coming for Millions of Student Loan Borrowers
Retroactive help is on the way from the federal government
- After years of lawsuits and pressure from lawmakers, activists, and others, the US Department of Education will offer retroactive assistance to millions of borrowers who utilized income-driven repayment (IDR) plans. Among those raising awareness of the issue was NPR , which this month released an investigation revealing how the plans, which...
Pressure Increases for Biden
to Cancel Student Loan Debt
Apr 2, 2022 3:35 PM CDT
Pressure Increases for Biden to Cancel Student Loan Debt
President has canceled more debt than any predecessor, but borrowers feel let down
- During his 2020 campaign, President Biden called for canceling student debt up to $10,000 for the 43 million people who borrowed money for school. He hasn't done that, though he's chipped away at the debt, canceling loans for people who are permanently disabled, those employed in the...
Students Misled by Universities
Will Have Loans Canceled
Feb 16, 2022 6:45 PM CST
Students Misled by Universities Will Have Loans Canceled
Biden administration grants relief to those who claimed fraud by for-profit schools
- The Biden administration on Wednesday announced it will cancel more than $70 million in student debt for borrowers who say they were defrauded by the for-profit DeVry University— the first time the Education Department has approved such claims for an institution that’s still in operation. At least 1,800...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Serving 8 Years, Infomercial Pitchman Could Be Jailed Again
A Sleeping Giant Awakes, With Plenty of Spectators
Protesters Cheered Iran's World Cup Exit. Then Bullets Rained
On First Day in US, a Surprise Event for William and Kate
After Broadcaster Mocks Him, NHL Player Has Classy Response
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.