Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Vegan Diets Seen as Way
Better for the Environment
Jul 27, 2023 9:22 AM CDT
Vegan Diets Seen as Way Better for the Environment
Getting meat-eaters to cut down is like taking millions of cars off the road, say Oxford researchers
- For anyone keeping score, this might be meat-eaters 0, vegans 1. A study spotlighted by the BBC found that following a vegan diet—eating only plant-based foods and excluding animal-derived products—can lead to considerable reduction in damage to the environment. In the UK anyway, getting carnivores to cut down...
Renowned Chef Bans
Vegans From Restaurant
Jun 21, 2023 3:06 PM CDT
Renowned Chef Bans Vegans From Restaurant
Chefs have 'always hated vegans,' he says
- If you don't want to eat meat or other animal products, celebrity chef John Mountain doesn't want to feed you. The British chef, who owns the Fyre restaurant in Perth, Australia, announced Sunday that he had banned all vegans from the establishment following a barrage of negative reviews....
The 10 Best, Worst
Cities for Herbivores
Sep 27, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
The 10 Best, Worst Cities for Herbivores
WalletHub ranks the best places in the US for vegetarians, vegans
- If living a meat-free existence is your dietary M.O., WalletHub wants to help you find your herbivore paradise. To suss out which US metropolitan areas are the best choices for vegetarians and vegans, the site examined data for the 100 biggest cities, looking at 17 metrics across three main...
Traveler Receives Interesting
'Meal' After Asking for Vegan
in case you missed it
Aug 21, 2022 7:30 AM CDT
Traveler Receives Interesting 'Meal' After Asking for Vegan
Miriam Porter's TikTok on the water bottle, napkin she was served on Air Canada has gone viral
- Airline food isn't known for being particularly memorable, but Miriam Porter isn't likely to forget the one she was served on Air Canada anytime soon. Among the "special meals" the airline has listed on its website are vegetarian and vegan options, and Porter, a Canadian travel blogger...
He Says He Was Fired for Being
Vegan. Now, a Judge's Ruling
Jan 3, 2020 10:57 AM CST
He Says He Was Fired for Being Vegan. Now, a Judge's Ruling
Decision says ethical veganism is belief worthy of protection from discrimination, but case isn't over
- A UK man who says he was fired due to his ethical veganism saw partial victory this week via an employment tribunal. Unlike run-of-the-mill veganism, ethical veganism resists not only an animal-based diet, but all kinds of animal exploitation, such as buying clothes made from leather, or testing products on...
Baby's Vegan Diet Has
Aug 22, 2019 2:26 PM CDT
Baby's Vegan Diet Has Heartbreaking Results
An Australian couple gets 18 months but avoids prison time
- Two Australian parents are in hot water—but narrowly avoided prison time—after a judge chastised them for leaving their newborn gravely malnourished on a vegan diet, the BBC reports. Unnamed in media reports, the 30-something couple fed their 19-month-old rice, toast, potatoes, oats, and other vegan foods despite signs...
Men's Anti-Vegan Stunt
Had Them Eating Raw Squirrels
Jul 23, 2019 3:33 PM CDT
Men's Anti-Vegan Stunt Had Them Eating Raw Squirrels
They have been convicted and fined over the London incident
- There were the vegans who "terrorized" the butchers . Now, the meat eaters who tried to terrorize the vegans. The BBC reports a macabre scene in London on March 30 earned two men disorderly conduct convictions and fines on Monday. Gatis Lagzdins, 29; and Deonisy Khlebnikov, 22, stationed themselves in...
A Vegan's Mom Made Meat
Sauce. It Didn't Go Over Well
Nov 3, 2018 8:00 AM CDT
A Vegan's Mom Made Meat Sauce. It Didn't Go Over Well
Daughter accused of threatening to stab mother over meaty meal
- Kids sometimes don't like the food their parents make, but a) this woman's picky-eater daughter is 48 years old, and b) most kids don't threaten to knife their parents over what's cooking. The
New York Post
reports on a story out of Italy, where local media...
French Butchers Have Beef
With Vegan 'Terror' Campaign
Jun 27, 2018 4:34 PM CDT
French Butchers Have Beef With Vegan 'Terror' Campaign
Meat sellers are now seeking police protection
- Graffiti, smashed windows, even shops splattered with blood. This is the "terror" being set upon meat purveyors in France, the head of the French Federation of Butchers tells the BBC , all part of a campaign by vegans to intimidate "in their aim of making a whole section of...
They Protested His
Eatery's Meat. So
He Grabbed a Deer Leg
Mar 29, 2018 10:15 AM CDT
They Protested His Eatery's Meat. So He Grabbed a Deer Leg
'I just felt helpless' at being called 'murderer,' says Toronto restaurateur Michael Hunter
- What do you do if you're a restaurant that serves meat, yet protesters keep showing up to tell you you're a "murderer"? If you're Michael Hunter, you chop up a deer in the front window. That's what the Toronto restaurateur did Friday after animal-rights...
Vegan Mom Accused
of Feeding Baby
Only Fruits, Nuts
Oct 7, 2016 2:32 PM CDT
Vegan Mom Accused of Feeding Baby Only Fruits, Nuts
Family says Elizabeth Hawk wanted to live on 'water and sunlight' herself
- A vegan Pennsylvania woman who was, per her family, determined to live on "water and sunlight" apparently took her extreme dietary views too far and has now been accused of starving her 11-month-old baby, feeding him nothing but fruit and nuts, CBS Pittsburgh reports. The child's father, who'...
of Vegan Kids
Aug 10, 2016 12:57 PM CDT
Italy Might Jail Parents of Vegan Kids
Diet is 'reckless and dangerous,' says lawmaker
- To make pasta, you need eggs, which are obviously not vegan. That might be enough to explain a proposed law in Italy that would jail parents for up to six years for imposing "reckless and dangerous eating behavior," including veganism, on kids under 17. Jokes aside, the woman...
Vegans Furious Over
Doughnut Shop's Job Ad
in case you misssed it
Jul 30, 2016 10:45 AM CDT
Vegans Furious Over Doughnut Shop's Job Ad
'No non-medical, non-religious dietary restrictions'
- An Oregon doughnut shop is hiring—just not any vegans or vegetarians. A job ad for Pip's Original Doughnuts in Portland describes the ideal candidate as someone with "a friendly, outgoing personality," but "no non-medical, non-religious dietary restrictions" that "would stop you from tasting, accurately...
Whose Wife Died
It's My Fault
May 30, 2016 3:32 PM CDT
Vegan Climber Whose Wife Died on Everest: It's My Fault
Robert Gropel says he didn't realize how sick she was
- The husband of a woman who died climbing Mount Everest earlier this month says he blames himself for her death, the
reports. In an interview with Network Seven in Australia, Robert Gropel says wife Maria Strydom seemed exhausted from climbing when they were just 15 minutes from the peak....
Wanted to Prove
May 23, 2016 8:33 AM CDT
Everest Victim Wanted to Prove 'Vegans Can Do Anything'
Maria Strydom succumbed to altitude sickness near the summit
- A fourth person has died on Mount Everest, and further details about the deaths are slowly emerging. Subhash Paul of India was being assisted overnight Sunday by Sherpa guides during a descent when he died of altitude sickness, the AP reports. Dutch climber Eric Arnold passed away Friday of the...
Eat Meat, Get Death Threats
May 5, 2016 1:33 AM CDT
Vegan Restaurateurs Eat Meat, Get Death Threats
'A lot of vegans have a right to feel betrayed by this'
- A couple whose string of trendy vegan restaurants in California is popular with the likes of Gwyneth Paltrow, Beyoncé, Emma Stone, and Woody Harrelson are under attack after it was discovered they've been eating meat for months, the
reports. "This is a vegan restaurant company that's...
10 Celebs Gone Vegan
Dec 21, 2013 8:12 AM CST
10 Celebs Gone Vegan
Bey, Jay are hardly trendsetters
- Jay Z and Beyonce are currently eating vegan (although Beyonce's certainly not letting that affect the way she dresses ), but they're not exactly trendsetters. The Huffington Post rounds up 15 more celebs who eschew all animal products. Click through the gallery for a sampling, or check out...
Jay Z, Beyonce
Dec 4, 2013 10:53 AM CST
Jay Z, Beyonce Going Vegan
For 22 days, at least
- The latest celebrity vegans: Jay Z and Beyonce ... at least for 22 days. The couple is going "completely vegan, or as I prefer to call it, plant-based," Jay Z wrote on his blog yesterday, as part of a "spiritual and physical cleanse." They started yesterday (the...
30% of Meat Eaters
Refuse to Date
Jul 6, 2012 1:08 PM CDT
30% of Meat Eaters Refuse to Date Vegetarians
But only 4% of veggie lovers wouldn't date omnivores
- When it comes to dating, meat eaters are actually pickier than vegetarians. Almost 30% of omnivores wouldn't go out with a vegetarian or vegan, whereas just 4% of vegetarians wouldn't date a meat eater, a
and Match.com poll finds. Of course, it's not exactly a...
Vegans Turn to Bodybuilding
Jan 7, 2012 8:43 AM CST
Vegans Turn to Bodybuilding
Animal-free dieters find ways to bulk up competitively
- A new trend is sprouting in the sport of bodybuilding: veganism. A burgeoning group of competitive weight-lifters are turning to an all animal-free diet, reports the
New York Times
. It's a challenge because the vegan diet can be dauntingly limited for bodybuilders, who need a sufficient amount of amino...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
Supreme Court's First Female Justice Dead at 93
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.