Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Manhunt Begins in Kenya After
Woman Is Found Dead in US
Nov 3, 2023 4:27 PM CDT
Manhunt Begins in Kenya After Woman Is Found Dead in US
Suspect in slaying took flight from Boston, Massachusetts investigators say
- The body of a missing Massachusetts woman was found Wednesday in a parking garage at Boston's Logan International Airport, and state police said the suspect in her killing has taken a flight to Kenya. The search for the man has begun there, ABC News reports. Margaret Mbitu, 31, was...
It's a Site Known
This One Just
Jul 1, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
It's a Site Known for Crashes. This One Just Killed Dozens
At least 51 die after truck hits market traders, other vehicles in Londiani, Kenya
- A truck rammed into several other vehicles and market traders in western Kenya, killing dozens, police said. The Friday evening accident occurred at a location known for vehicle crashes near the Rift Valley town of Londiani, which is about 125 miles northwest of the capital, Nairobi. Officers at the scene...
Kenyan Facebook Content
Moderators: Job Is 'Torture'
Jun 29, 2023 6:20 PM CDT
Kenyan Facebook Content Moderators: Job Is 'Torture'
Lawsuit against the social media giant could have global effects
- On the verge of tears, Nathan Nkunzimana recalled watching a video of a child being molested and another of a woman being killed. His job as a content moderator for a Facebook contractor required him to look at horrors. Some overwhelmed colleagues would scream or cry, he said. Now, the...
Cult Members Keep Trying
to Die, Even After Rescue
Jun 14, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
Cult Members Keep Trying to Die, Even After Rescue
65 charged with attempted suicide in Kenya; meanwhile, starvation death toll rises to 300-plus
- The death toll from a Kenyan doomsday cult whose members fatally starved themselves has surpassed 300, making it "one of the worst cult-related tragedies in recent history," per Reuters . The adjusted number came after authorities exhumed 19 more bodies from mass graves in the nation's southeastern Shakahola...
Death Toll at Kenyan
Cult's Ranch Rises to 90
Apr 25, 2023 1:27 PM CDT
Death Toll at Kenyan Cult's Ranch Rises to 90
17 more bodies exhumed after pastor allegedly told followers to starve themselves
- The startling numbers continue to grow in Kenya: The death toll at a ranch owned by a pastor who is accused of leading a religious cult and ordering his followers to starve themselves reached 90 on Tuesday. The new figure came after police exhumed 17 more bodies, per the AP...
25 Deaths and Counting
Linked to Alleged Kenyan Cult
Apr 23, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
25 Deaths and Counting Linked to Alleged Kenyan Cult
Pastor is in custody, accused of encouraging followers to starve themselves
- Twenty-one bodies have been found so far on land owned by a pastor in coastal Kenya who was arrested for telling his followers to fast to death, per the AP . Malindi sub-county police chief John Kemboi said more shallow graves have yet to be dug up on the land belonging...
For Kenya's Elite Female
Runners, a Brutal Price to Pay
Apr 15, 2023 10:08 AM CDT
For Kenya's Elite Female Runners, a Brutal Price to Pay
'New Yorker' explores the gender-based violence they face at home
- Agnes Tirop was found murdered in October 2021. Six months later, Damaris Mutua was strangled to death. Both women were in their 20s and killed in the same town of Iten, Kenya. But they had something more telling in common: Both were elite runners on the world stage. At the...
Aug 15, 2022 1:14 PM CDT
In Kenya, Election Comes to Crazy Finish
William Ruto defeats Raila Odinga, but 4 of 7 election commissioners denounce the count
- After last-minute chaos that could foreshadow a court challenge, Kenya’s electoral commission chairman on Monday declared Deputy President William Ruto the winner of the close presidential election over five-time contender Raila Odinga. Ruto received 50.49% of the votes with more than 7.1 million, the chairman said, while...
Hospital Reminds Desperate
Kenyans It Won't Buy Kidneys
Jun 21, 2022 2:12 PM CDT
Hospital Reminds Desperate Kenyans It Won't Buy Kidneys
Nation is deep into a cost of living crisis worsened by Russian blockade in Ukraine
- With the price of food and other necessities soaring, a hospital has found it necessary to remind desperate Kenyans that they shouldn't try to raise money by selling an organ. "How much for my kidney?" is now the question most often posted to Kenyatta National Hospital, a Facebook...
'Stray Lion' Alert Leads to
Much More Innocuous Find
in case you missed it
May 8, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
'Stray Lion' Alert Leads to Much More Innocuous Find
It was a shopping bag with a lion's face on it in the bushes outside a Kenyan home
- A farmhand in Kenya may be feeling a little foolish today, but also pretty lucky: His anxiety-ridden "stray lion" sighting turned out not to be a lion after all. The BBC reports on the incident that took place in Kinyana, a village not far from Mount Kenya National Park,...
A 'Nation of Lakes'
Battles an Alarming Trend
Mar 27, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
A 'Nation of Lakes' Battles an Alarming Trend
'The Guardian' looks at devastating increase in lake levels
- A decade ago, geologist Simon Onywere was among the first scientists to notice what residents of waterlogged villages already knew: lakes throughout Kenya are expanding. Since then, a widespread catastrophe has unfolded. Per
the Guardian ,
which traced Onywere’s efforts to help pinpoint the cause and spur action, the Kenyan...
Living Animals in
White Rhino Breeding
Oct 21, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Living Animals in White Rhino Breeding Program: One
Najin, one of 2 remaining northern white rhinos, has been retired
- Hopes of saving the northern white rhinoceros now rest on a sole female, some frozen sperm, and a dozen embryos. There are just two northern white rhinos alive—females Najin and Fatu of Kenya's Ol Pejeta Conservancy—whose eggs were extracted, then inseminated with frozen sperm from dead males...
Oct 15, 2021 7:55 AM CDT
'Prime Suspect' in Olympian's Murder Arrested
Emmanuel Rotich, husband of runner Agnes Tirop, was detained in Mombasa, Kenya
The husband of a Kenyan long-distance runner who competed in the Tokyo Olympics and was found murdered this week has been arrested. The BBC reports that Emmanuel Rotich was detained in Mombasa on Thursday, a day after 25-year-old Agnes Tirop was found dead in her bed, as he was...
15-Month Mission Saves
Giraffes on Sinking Island
Apr 16, 2021 9:56 AM CDT
15-Month Mission Saves Giraffes on Sinking Island
9 endangered Rothschild giraffes transported on custom-made barge to mainland Kenya
- For more than a year, multiple groups have worked together to rescue nine endangered giraffes from a sinking island in a Kenyan lake. On Monday, the final two animals made the milelong journey from their flooded habitat to their new home on the mainland, thanks to the rescuers' patience and...
His 'Mama Sarah'
Mar 29, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
Obama Mourns His 'Mama Sarah'
Former president's stepgrandmother dies in Kenya
- Sarah Obama, the matriarch of former President Obama's Kenyan family, has died, per the AP . She was at least 99 years old. Mama Sarah, as the stepgrandmother of the former president was fondly called, promoted education for girls and orphans in her rural Kogelo village. She died at the...
American Gets 15 Years
for Abuse at Kenyan Orphanage
Feb 5, 2021 3:43 PM CST
American Gets 15 Years for Abuse at Kenyan Orphanage
Gregory Dow, 61, started the home with his family
- An American who ran an orphanage in Kenya has received a prison sentence of more than 15 years after being convicted of sexually abusing four girls there. Gregory Dow "traveled halfway around the world to prey on incredibly vulnerable victims," a federal prosecutor said. "His crimes are...
Nov 18, 2020 8:00 AM CST
Orphaned White Giraffe Gets Some Added Protection
GPS tracker to provide hourly location updates in Kenya
- An orphaned white giraffe has been fitted with a tracking device in Kenya in an effort to protect him from poachers, like those who killed his mother and sibling. News outlets including the AP refer to the lonely male with leucism, a genetic condition resulting in partial loss of pigmentation,...
In Kenya, a Grisly Find
Is a 'Wake-Up Call'
in case you missed it
Mar 15, 2020 11:10 AM CDT
In Kenya, a Grisly Find Is a 'Wake-Up Call'
Poachers believed to have taken out 2 of its rare white giraffes
- When a bright white giraffe and her equally colorless calf were first spotted in Kenya in 2017, conservationists worried their lack of camouflage would make them easy targets for predators, if not poachers. Their fears were well-founded. In a devastating blow, it's believed poachers killed the female and a...
UN Pleads for Help Amid
'Devastating' Locust Invasion
Jan 24, 2020 12:15 PM CST
UN Pleads for Help Amid 'Devastating' Locust Invasion
Somalia, Ethiopia, Kenya all overtaken; UN says locust numbers could grow 500 times by June
- Last month, the United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization reported on the plague of locusts that had overtaken Somalia and Ethiopia, and now a new East African nation is being beleaguered by the bugs. The FAO says Kenya is also dealing with an "unprecedented" and "devastating" number of...
3 More Americans
Killed in Base Attack
Jan 5, 2020 4:01 PM CST
3 More Americans Killed in Base Attack
Al-Shabab strikes again, this time at Camp Simba in Manda Bay, Kenya
- With Iran on everyone's mind, Americans killed in Africa don't get much attention—but three were indeed killed Sunday at a military base in Kenya, NBC News reports. According to US Africa Command, al-Shabab forces attacked a base used by US troops before dawn, killing a US service...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
Cops Chasing Stolen Forklift Find Surprise Driver
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.