Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
13 Shot at Graduation Parties
in Virginia and Texas, 1 Fatally
Jun 4, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
13 Shot at Graduation Parties in Virginia and Texas, 1 Fatally
Gunfire kills 20-year-old after fights break out
- More than a dozen people were shot, one fatally, at graduation parties in Virginia and Texas on Friday night. Gunfire erupted during a gathering in central Virginia, about 15 miles south of Richmond, police said Saturday, killing a 20-year-old man and wounding seven other young people. Two separate fights among...
Jun 3, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Outrage Follows Graduation Speaker's Marriage Remarks
He urged Ohio high school students to follow 'Biblical principles'
- A public school district in Ohio says it will be "reviewing its processes" after a graduation speaker urged students to avoid same-sex marriages. "Choose a spouse, I suggest. I also strongly suggest to make sure to choose Biblical principles, you know, a male with a female and female...
Graduation Got Even Sweeter
May 16, 2022 7:45 PM CDT
Graduation Got Even Sweeter
Evan Spiegel and Miranda Kerr pay off student debt for LA school's Class of 2022
- Evan Spiegel, who later co-founded Snapchat, has fond memories of taking summer classes at Otis College of Art and Design while in high school. "It changed my life and made me feel at home," Spiegel said, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. "I felt pushed and challenged to...
Senior Barred From His Own
Graduation Gets a Big Save
in case you missed it
Jun 6, 2021 3:00 PM CDT
Senior Barred From His Own Graduation Gets a Big Save
Teacher gave his shoes to a graduate whose own shoes weren't allowed
- A high school senior turned away from his own graduation says a "hero" of a teacher ensured he walked across the stage to receive his diploma—by giving up the shoes on his feet. Daverius Peters of Hahnville High School in Boutte, La., had put on black leather designer...
Cadets Assured They're
Ready for Anything
May 22, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
Cadets Assured They're Ready for Anything
Defense secretary tells West Point graduates the threats include cyber weapons and pandemics
- Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin told US Military Academy cadets Saturday they were graduating during "exceptionally tough circumstances," but that West Point prepared them to face the extraordinary threats ahead and the ones already here. Austin spoke to about 1,000 cadets becoming Army second lieutenants in a ceremony...
Senator Calls Columbia's
Mar 16, 2021 7:48 PM CDT
Senator Calls Columbia's Multicultural Graduation Ceremonies 'Segregation'
University says Tom Cotton is misrepresenting longstanding ceremonies started by students
- Republican Sen. Tom Cotton caused an uproar Tuesday by blasting the multicultural graduation ceremonies offered by Columbia University as "segregation." He was apparently outraged by a Fox story that said the university would host "six separate graduation ceremonies based on income level, race, ethnicities." Cotton and...
by Hacker Ends
May 10, 2020 9:17 AM CDT
'Hate-Filled Attack' by Hacker Ends Virtual Graduation
Racist slurs and symbols fill Zoom screen
- "During a time that should have been focused on recognizing our graduating students," the president of Oklahoma City University said, "an unknown source was able to bypass the system and display racist and offensive language." The attack cut short the school's virtual graduation ceremony Saturday....
Valedictorian's Speech Started
With Thanks, Ended With Barbs
Jun 13, 2019 7:45 AM CDT
Valedictorian's Speech Started With Thanks, Ended With Barbs
Nataly Buhr 'thanked' office staff for 'negligence'
- A California high school valedictorian threw a curveball in her commencement speech last week, and school officials aren't thrilled. Nataly Buhr's address last Thursday to the crowd at San Diego's San Ysidro High School started off typical, with Nataly thanking teachers and her parents, per Fox News...
Kutcher's: 'I Made
Jun 12, 2019 7:55 AM CDT
Principal Whose Words Echoed Kutcher's: 'I Made a Mistake'
West Virginia's Kenny DeMoss has been suspended for 5 days, without pay
- A West Virginia principal accused of plagiarizing Ashton Kutcher in an address to his school's graduating class has been suspended without pay for five days, the AP reports. The
News and Sentinel
reports Parkersburg High School's Kenny DeMoss was suspended Tuesday at a Wood County Board of Education...
Bromance Rekindled as
an Obama, a Biden Graduate
Jun 12, 2019 7:33 AM CDT
Bromance Rekindled as an Obama, a Biden Graduate
'We had a whole get together' as Sasha Obama, Maisy Biden graduated Sidwell Friends
- Sasha Obama is all grown up and done with high school. Former President Obama, wife Michelle, and eldest daughter Malia looked on proudly Sunday as Sasha graduated from the private Sidwell Friends School in Washington, DC, a day before her 18th birthday, reports
. Joe and Jill Biden were...
Jenny Slate to
Jun 6, 2019 6:44 AM CDT
Jenny Slate to Address School's Lone Graduating Student
She says it was an honor to be chosen
- Jenny Slate will be giving a speech to the entire graduating class of Cuttyhunk Elementary on June 17—which consists of one student, eighth-grader Gwen Lynch. The 13-year-old, who is the only student at the one-room schoolhouse on Cuttyhunk Island, tells the
New York Times
that she was "blown...
Jun 1, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
Student Accuses Her Principal of Stealing His Speech
An Ashton Kutcher speech does bear a striking resemblance
- A West Virginia principal accused of plagiarizing Ashton Kutcher in an address to his school's graduating class says he didn't mean to use someone else's work, the AP reports. Parkersburg High School Principal Kenny DeMoss has issued a statement saying he should have cited his sources in...
Country's New Law
Could Bring 525B
New Trees to
May 31, 2019 12:15 PM CDT
Country's New Law Could Bring 525B New Trees to the World
Philippines bill would mandate students plant at least 10 trees each before graduating
- Advocates for a new bill in the Philippines say it could result in 525 billion new trees over the course of a generation, and the ones set to be on the front lines for this initiative are students. The
and CNN Philippines report on the proposed legislation, which mandates...
They Were Told
He Was Gifted.
He'll Be Proving
It This May
in case you missed it
Jan 5, 2019 9:30 AM CST
They Were Told He Was Gifted. He'll Be Proving It This May
16-year-old Braxton Moral will be first to graduate from high school and Harvard at same time
- Like many kids, Braxton Moral dreams of one day being president. Unlike many kids, the 16-year-old forged an unusual path in his quest to get there. Per
, Braxton will graduate on May 19 from Ulysses High School in his Kansas hometown, then don a cap and gown on May...
Jul 4, 2018 2:45 PM CDT
School to First Black Valedictorian: No Speech for You
So Jaisaan Lovett's speech was posted on YouTube
- Jaisaan Lovett, it seems, is not a young man to be denied. The first black valedictorian at his New York state high school, Lovett gave his graduation speech last month on YouTube after the school principal apparently refused to let him speak at graduation, the
Democrat & Chronicle
My Mic Was
Cut Due to 'Fear
of the Truth'
Jun 11, 2018 8:37 AM CDT
Valedictorian: My Mic Was Cut Due to 'Fear of the Truth'
17-year-old Lulabel Seitz was silenced when she started talking about sexual assault
- As valedictorian of California's Petaluma High School, Lulabel Seitz took to the podium at the June 2 graduation to give the commencement speech. But a few minutes in, after speaking on typical topics like good times and facing adversity, the 17-year-old broached a not-so-typical subject: sexual assault. "The...
Jun 7, 2018 9:01 AM CDT
8th-Graders Given Ominous Graduation Gift
Graduates of Pennsylvania school receive bulletproof plates
- "I never thought I'd need this." That's what one Pennsylvania middle-schooler told WTXF after receiving an unusual graduation gift Monday. The eighth-grade class of St. Cornelius in Chadds Ford was given ballistic shields that slide into backpacks as protection from bullets, per the
New York Times
Valedictorian Banned From
Giving Graduation Speech
May 28, 2018 12:51 PM CDT
Valedictorian Banned From Giving Graduation Speech
So Christian Bales, 18, gave it on the lawn outside
- When you're banned from giving a high-school graduation speech, what do you do? Give it anyway. On the lawn. With a bullhorn. That's what 18-year-old Christian Bales did Friday after Holy Cross High School in Covington, Kentucky, told him earlier that day he would not be allowed to...
School District Yanks Senior
From Graduation Due to Prank
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 27, 2018 6:45 AM CDT
School District Yanks Senior From Graduation Due to Prank
Kylan Scheele admits he put high school up for sale on Craigslist but says it was all in good fun
- While some of his classmates had more ambitious senior pranks in the works, such as setting live mice loose, Kylan Scheele decided to do something "more laid-back," he tells FOX4 —a joke that has now resulted in him getting yanked from walking in graduation. The 18-year-old Missourian,...
Mom Miffed at
'Summa --- Laude'
on Graduation Cake
in case you missed it
May 26, 2018 7:50 AM CDT
Mom Miffed at 'Summa --- Laude' on Graduation Cake
Publix's online system omitted 'cum' because it deemed the word 'profane'
- Jacob Koscinski was certainly worthy of a grand graduation cake: The 18-year-old earned a 4.79 GPA in his Christian-based home-school program and is now set to head to North Carolina's Wingate University later this year on a full scholarship. But per WCIV , when partygoers got their first glimpse...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
She Was Behind Some of Fleetwood Mac's Biggest Hits
Black Guest Badgered by Staff Member at Palace Event
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.