Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Climate 'Whisper' Now
Will Soon Be a 'Roar'
Nov 20, 2023 8:43 AM CST
Climate 'Whisper' Now Will Soon Be a 'Roar'
So says lead author of new UN report on how we're closing in on blowing past global climate threshold
- The globe is speeding toward 2.5 degrees Celsius to 2.9 degrees Celsius (4.5-5.2 degrees Fahrenheit) of global warming since preindustrial times, set to blow well past the agreed-upon international climate threshold, a United Nations report has calculated. To have an even-money shot at keeping warming to...
Thousands Loot Gaza Supplies
Oct 29, 2023 1:05 PM CDT
Thousands Loot Gaza Supplies
'Civil order is starting to break down,' UN relief official says
- Thousands of people broke into a UN agency's warehouses in central and southern Gaza, taking "wheat, flour and other basic survival items," officials said. Humanitarian supplies brought in convoys from Egypt are stored in one of the warehouses, Reuters reports. "This is a worrying sign that...
UN Calls for Truce
Over US Objections
Oct 27, 2023 5:50 PM CDT
UN Calls for Truce Over US Objections
Resolution doesn't condemn Oct. 7 Hamas attack
- The UN General Assembly approved a nonbinding resolution Friday calling for a humanitarian truce in Gaza leading to a cessation of hostilities between Israel and Gaza's Hamas rulers, the first United Nations response to the ongoing war. The 193-member world body adopted the Arab-drafted resolution by a vote of...
An Enraged Israel Calls
for UN Chief's Resignation
Oct 25, 2023 8:16 AM CDT
An Enraged Israel Calls for UN Chief's Resignation
Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said the Hamas attack 'did not happen in a vacuum'
- Israel is calling on UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to resign and says it won't grant visas to UN representatives in the wake of what it calls "shocking" comments made by Guterres. In a Tuesday speech before the UN Security Council, Guterres "condemned unequivocally the horrifying and unprecedented...
US Blocks Resolution
on Israel-Hamas War
Oct 18, 2023 4:37 PM CDT
US Blocks Resolution on Israel-Hamas War
Russia charges hypocrisy while Thomas-Greenfield urges waiting
- The US vetoed a United Nations resolution Wednesday to condemn all violence against civilians in the Israel-Hamas war and to urge humanitarian aid to Palestinians in Gaza, saying it was too early to craft an appropriate Security Council response to the crisis. US Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield said the council needs...
Kenya to Lead UN Force
to Battle Gangs in Haiti
Oct 2, 2023 5:16 PM CDT
Kenya to Lead UN Force to Battle Gangs in Haiti
US drafted resolution to have Kenya lead the mission against gangs
- The UN Security Council voted Monday to send a multinational force to Haiti led by Kenya to help combat violent gangs in the troubled Caribbean country. The resolution drafted by the US was approved with 13 votes in favor and two abstentions from Russia and China. The resolution authorizes the...
At UN, Russia Calls
West 'Empire of Lies'
Sep 23, 2023 4:55 PM CDT
At UN, Russia Calls West 'Empire of Lies'
Sergey Lavrov dismisses proposals for peace in Ukraine, restarting grain deal
- Russia's foreign minister denounced Western nations generally and Ukrainian peace proposals and attempts to revive the Black Sea grain initiative specifically at the United Nations on Saturday. Sergey Lavrov called the Kyiv government's 10-point peace plan "completely not feasible," Reuters reports. If Ukraine and its Western...
Foundation Donates $200M
for Reproductive Health Care
Sep 21, 2023 5:25 PM CDT
Foundation Donates $200M for Reproductive Health Care
Melinda Gates announces pledge on UN sidelines, honoring the Carters and Bono
- The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has pledged $200 million to help save the lives of mothers and children during childbirth, as the largest American philanthropic donor throws its weight behind the issue during the nonprofit's annual Goalkeepers conference on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly. Melinda French...
'When Hatred Is Weaponized
Against One Nation,
It Never Stops There'
Sep 19, 2023 8:06 PM CDT
'When Hatred Is Weaponized Against One Nation, It Never Stops There'
Zelensky addresses UN General Assembly
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said Tuesday that Russia is "weaponizing" everything from food and energy to abducted children in its war against Ukraine—and he warned world leaders that the same could happen to them, the AP reports. "When hatred is weaponized against one nation, it never stops there,...
New York Protests Pressure
Biden, UN on Fossil Fuels
Sep 17, 2023 5:05 PM CDT
New York Protests Pressure Biden, UN on Fossil Fuels
Climate summit this week will not hear from the US
- Frustration over inaction on the harm to the planet being done by fossil fuels brought tens of thousands of protesters to the streets of Manhattan on Sunday. The demonstration was held in anticipation of UN meetings this week on addressing global warming, but the message was aimed most directly at...
US Is Officially
Back in UNESCO
Jul 12, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
US Is Officially Back in UNESCO
US rejoins UN's education, science and culture agency
- After leaving UNESCO in 2019 due to what it saw as anti-Israel bias and other issues, the US has now officially rejoined the United Nation's education, science and culture agency. After the Trump administration withdrew membership, the Biden administration proposed a plan to rejoin, and in June, UNESCO's...
UN Watchdog to Japan:
OK to Dump Wastewater in Sea
Jul 5, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
UN Watchdog to Japan: OK to Dump Wastewater in Sea
Critics aren't happy about release of radioactive water from Fukushima nuclear power plant
- A little radioactive water in the Pacific? Not that big a deal, at least according to the United Nations' nuclear watchdog, which gave the OK Tuesday for Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant to dump more than a million tons of treated wastewater into the Pacific Ocean. NPR notes...
She Made a
Visit to Guantanamo
Jun 28, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
She Made a First-of-Its-Kind Visit to Guantanamo
Independent UN monitor was permitted to visit the detention center
- Since its 2002 opening, no UN human rights investigators had been permitted to visit Guantanamo Bay. That changed in February, when Irish law professor Fionnuala Ni Aolain was granted access—and what she found was "cruel, inhuman, and degrading treatment." The UN special rapporteur spent four days at...
UN Chief Says
Gives Oceans a
Jun 19, 2023 5:08 PM CDT
UN Chief Says New Treaty Gives Oceans a 'Fighting Chance'
Members adopt first treaty to protect high seas marine life
- Members of the United Nations adopted the first-ever treaty to protect marine life in the high seas on Monday, with the UN's chief hailing the historic agreement as giving the ocean "a fighting chance." Delegates from the 193 member nations burst into applause and then stood up...
At This Rate, Child Marriage
Will Continue for Centuries: UN
May 5, 2023 4:35 PM CDT
At This Rate, Child Marriage Will Continue for Centuries: UN
Progress is being made, but not fast enough, according to new report
- The world isn't moving fast enough to combat child marriage as, at current rates, it will be another 300 years before the practice is eliminated. That's according to a UN report , which finds 12 million girls are married as minors each year. The report does highlight progress made...
UN: 26% of People Don't
Have Safe Drinking Water
Mar 22, 2023 12:30 PM CDT
UN: 26% of People Don't Have Safe Drinking Water
'10% of the global population lives in countries with high or critical water stress'
- A new UN report says 26% of the world’s population doesn’t have access to safe drinking water and 46% lacks access to basic sanitation. The World Water Development Report 2023, released Tuesday, painted a stark picture of the huge gap that needs to be filled to meet UN...
We Need 'Everything,
Everywhere, All at Once'
Mar 20, 2023 11:42 AM CDT
Climate Report: We Need 'Everything, Everywhere, All at Once'
UN calling for aggressive moves before it's too late
- The UN is out with a dire new climate change report Monday, and the gist is that we've still got a chance if we get it together, and quickly. "Humanity is on thin ice—and that ice is melting fast," UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres says, before dropping...
UN Members Sign Treaty That
Affects Half of Earth's Surface
Mar 6, 2023 7:23 AM CST
UN Members Sign Treaty That Affects Half of Earth's Surface
Pact will protect biodiversity of marine life in the high seas
- For the first time, United Nations members have agreed on a unified treaty to protect biodiversity in the high seas, representing a turning point for vast stretches of the planet where conservation has previously been hampered by a confusing patchwork of laws. The UN Convention on the Law of the...
Get Out of Ukraine,
UN Tells Russia
Feb 23, 2023 6:45 PM CST
Get Out of Ukraine, UN Tells Russia
US, Ukrainian ambassadors say it's clear where the world stands on invasion
- In a lopsided vote, the UN General Assembly approved a resolution Thursday calling for the fighting to stop in Ukraine and Russia to leave the country it invaded a year ago. The nonbinding measure was approved 141-7 with 32 abstentions, CBS News reports. US Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield called the vote...
Dec 26, 2022 8:01 PM CST
Ukraine Sets Condition for Peace Summit
Moscow government must face war crimes tribunal first, foreign minister says
- Ukraine's foreign minister said Monday that his nation wants a summit to end the war but that he doesn't anticipate Russia taking part, a statement making it hard to foresee the devastating invasion ending soon. Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba told the AP in Kyiv that his government...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.