Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Alleged ISIS 'Beatle'
Sentenced in UK
Nov 13, 2023 1:24 PM CST
Alleged ISIS 'Beatle' Sentenced in UK
Aine Davis was arrested at a UK airport after he finished a 7-year sentence in Turkey
- A man suspected of being the fourth member of the ISIS "Beatles" kidnap gang has been sentenced to eight years in prison in the UK for terror-related offenses. Aine Davis, 39, spent seven years in prison in Turkey for being a member of the extremist group and was arrested...
ISIS Is Now on Its
4th Leader Since Early 2022
Aug 4, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
ISIS Is Now on Its 4th Leader Since Early 2022
Group confirms another leader has been 'martyred'
- Leaders of the Islamic State group, aka ISIS, use "al-Qurayshi," the name of the Prophet Mohammed's tribe, as a nom de guerre—and the group is now on its fourth al-Qurayshi since early last year. The group's spokesman said in a recording on Telegram on Thursday...
Taliban Kill Mastermind
of Kabul Airport Bombing
Apr 25, 2023 6:07 PM CDT
Taliban Kill Mastermind of Kabul Airport Bombing
2021 suicide bombing killed 13 US service members, 170 Afghans
- The Taliban have killed the senior Islamic State group leader behind the August 2021 suicide bombing outside the Kabul airport that left 13 US service members and about 170 Afghans dead, according to the father of a Marine killed in the attack who was briefed Tuesday by military officials. Over...
Militants Killed 26
Apr 18, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
They Were Foraging for Truffles When Militants Killed 26
Truffle hunting has become increasingly dangerous in Syria
- Islamic State militants killed at least 26 people who were foraging for wild truffles in Syria's Hama region, opposition and state media reported Sunday. Amid the economic devastation of Syria’s yearslong war, foraging for truffles can help people earn money, as the seasonal delicacy fetches a high price,...
IS Group Says It Killed
35 Christians in Village
Mar 11, 2023 12:14 PM CST
IS Group Says It Killed 35 Christians in Village
US has offered $5M reward in hunt for leader in response to attacks in Congo
- The Islamic State group has issued a statement claiming responsibility for killing more than 35 people and wounding dozens in eastern Congo. In the statement, posted Friday by Aamaq, the militants' news agency, it said it killed Christians with guns and knives and destroyed their property in Mukondi village in...
4 US Troops, and Dog,
Wounded in Syrian Raid
Feb 17, 2023 2:14 PM CST
4 US Troops, and Dog, Wounded in Syrian Raid
Helicopter strike killed a senior member of the Islamic State
- The US military said Friday that a helicopter raid led by its forces in northeast Syria left a senior leader with the Islamic State group dead and four American service members wounded. The operation was conducted Thursday night in partnership with the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, which is allied with...
Islamic State Supporter
Accused of Meeting With Lindh
Jan 26, 2023 4:20 PM CST
Islamic State Supporter Accused of Meeting With Lindh
Ali Shukri Amin might have violated the terms of his federal release
- A northern Virginia man convicted nearly a decade ago of supporting the Islamic State group as a teenager has now been accused of violating the terms of his release by meeting with convicted Taliban supporter John Walker Lindh . According to court documents, the FBI photographed Ali Shukri Amin meeting with...
ISIS Says Another
Leader Has Been Killed
Nov 30, 2022 1:35 PM CST
ISIS Says Another Leader Has Been Killed
Terror group is now on its third leader this year
- ISIS is now on its third leader of the year, according to a statement from the terror group's media affiliate. The group, also known as the Islamic State, said Abu al-Hassan al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi was "killed while struggling against the enemies of God," CNN reports. The group said...
Kansas Woman Who Led
ISIS Battalion Gets the Max
Nov 1, 2022 3:08 PM CDT
Kansas Woman Who Led ISIS Battalion Gets the Max
2 of Allison Fluke-Ekren's children requested the sentence
A Kansas woman who pleaded guilty to leading an all-female ISIS battalion in Syria was on Tuesday handed the maximum possible sentence: 20 years. The AP reports two of Allison Fluke-Ekren's children asked the judge to give her that sentence, alleging they suffered physical and sexual abuse at...
French Cement Company
Pleads Guilty to Aiding ISIS
Oct 18, 2022 2:48 PM CDT
French Cement Company Pleads Guilty to Aiding ISIS
Lafarge paid millions of dollars to militants in order to keep Syria plant open
- French cement company Lafarge pleaded guilty Tuesday to paying millions of dollars to the Islamic State group in exchange for permission to keep open a plant in Syria, a case the Justice Department described as the first of its kind. The company also agreed to penalties totaling roughly $778 million....
Another 'Beatle' Hears His
Fate Over ISIS Hostages
Aug 19, 2022 12:38 PM CDT
Another 'Beatle' Hears His Fate Over ISIS Hostages
UK national El Shafee Elsheikh, aka the 'Ringo' of the group, gets life in prison
- British national El Shafee Elsheikh was sentenced to life in prison Friday for his role in an Islamic State scheme that took roughly two dozen Westerners hostage a decade ago. Elsheikh's hostages gave him a somewhat whimsical nickname—he was dubbed a "Beatle," along with other English-accented...
Blast Kills Cleric, 20 Others
During Evening Prayers
Aug 18, 2022 4:10 AM CDT
Blast Kills Cleric, 20 Others During Evening Prayers
Witnesses say suicide bomber attacked Kabul mosque
- A bombing at a mosque in the Afghan capital of Kabul during evening prayers killed at least 21 people, including a prominent cleric, and wounded at least 33 others, eyewitnesses and police said Thursday. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack Wednesday night, the latest to strike...
Afghan Cleric Killed by Bomb
Concealed in Prosthetic Leg
Aug 12, 2022 8:50 AM CDT
Afghan Cleric Killed by Bomb Concealed in Prosthetic Leg
It's a 'very huge loss' for the country, Taliban official says of death claimed by ISIS
- An Afghan cleric who supported the Taliban and went up against the Islamic State has been killed in a suicide bombing claimed by that same group. Sheikh Rahimullah Haqqani died at an Islamic seminary in Kabul when a man detonated a bomb hidden in his prosthetic leg, reports Reuters . In...
Biden: Key Terrorist Has
Been Taken 'Off the Field'
Jul 12, 2022 5:16 PM CDT
Biden: Key Terrorist Has Been Taken 'Off the Field'
Maher al-Agal was killed in drone strike
- The Pentagon said Tuesday that it killed a leader of the Islamic State group in Syria in a drone strike. US Central Command said in a news release that Maher al-Agal was killed Tuesday and an unidentified senior official in the Islamic State group was seriously injured. The Pentagon said...
The Verdict Is In for
This ISIS 'Beatle'
Apr 29, 2022 2:01 PM CDT
The Verdict Is In for This ISIS 'Beatle'
El Shafee Elsheikh convicted for role in hostage-taking plot that left four Americans dead
- A jury convicted a British national Thursday for his role in an Islamic State group hostage-taking scheme that took roughly two dozen Westerners captive a decade ago, resulting in the deaths of four Americans, three of whom were beheaded. In convicting El Shafee Elsheikh, the jury concluded he was one...
Islamic State 'Beatle' Guilty
in Deaths of Americans
Apr 14, 2022 12:53 PM CDT
Islamic State 'Beatle' Guilty in Deaths of Americans
El Shafee Elsheikh, convicted on all counts, faces life in prison
- A jury convicted a British national Thursday for his role in an Islamic State group hostage-taking scheme that took roughly two dozen Westerners captive a decade ago, resulting in the deaths of four Americans, three of whom were beheaded. The jury deliberated for four hours before finding El Shafee Elsheikh...
Lawmaker's Death Was an
'Assassination.' Now, a Verdict
Apr 12, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Lawmaker's Death Was an 'Assassination.' Now, a Verdict
ISIS supporter Ali Harbi Ali, 26, found guilty of stabbing UK lawmaker David Amess to death
- A jury deliberated for just 18 minutes Monday before finding a fervent Islamic State supporter guilty of stabbing lawmaker David Amess to death, a slaying that shocked the nation and sparked calls for increased police protection for politicians. Ali Harbi Ali, 26, was found guilty by London's Central Criminal...
ISIS Captive's Letter to Dad
Leaves Courtroom in 'Tears'
Apr 7, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
ISIS Captive's Letter to Dad Leaves Courtroom in 'Tears'
Peter Kassig, killed in 2014, wrote that his last thought would be of the love of his parents
- If Peter Kassig was true to his word, the only thought running through his mind as he was beheaded by Islamic State terrorists was how much his parents loved him. Ed Kassig, the father of the US aid worker who was taken hostage in Syria in 2013 and killed a...
Israel Faces a
'New Wave of Terror'
Mar 30, 2022 7:18 AM CDT
Israel Faces a 'New Wave of Terror'
Gunman kills 5, including a police officer, in 3rd attack in a week
- "We are dealing with a new wave of terror," Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said Tuesday after a gunman on a motorcycle killed five people with an assault rifle in a suburb of Tel Aviv. Police said they shot and killed the shooter—identified as Diaa Hamarsheh, a...
5G Giant Ericsson 'Uninvestible,'
Riddled With Corruption
Mar 6, 2022 2:50 PM CST
5G Giant Ericsson 'Uninvestible,' Riddled With Corruption
Report: Corruption, fraud, and gross mismanagement risked employee lives
- In 2014, as ISIS was at the height of its power in Iraq, Swedish telecom giant Ericsson forged ahead with development of its 5G infrastructure in the region. In the process, it was likely stuffing cash into the pockets of ISIS militants. A leaked internal investigation report obtained by the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Winners, Losers From the 4th GOP Debate
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.