Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
A Woman Makes a Little
College Football History
Sep 25, 2023 12:39 PM CDT
A Woman Makes a Little College Football History
Haley Van Voorhis, safety for Shenandoah University, is the first female non-kicker to suit up
- Haley Van Voorhis is a college student majoring in business and, save for one thing, just a typical woman at Virginia's Shenandoah University: The 5-foot-6, 145-pound junior took the field on Saturday as a safety, and in so doing became the NCAA's first-ever football player to do so...
College Says Its Coach Retired.
Coach: 'I Did Not F---ing Retire'
Mar 24, 2023 7:35 AM CDT
College Says Its Coach Retired. Coach: 'I Did Not F---ing Retire'
San Diego's 'winningest coach' ever is not going along with school's line on why he left
- On Tuesday, the University of San Diego's athletic director, Bill McGillis, announced in a statement that Dale Lindsey, the "winningest coach" in USD's history, "will retire from USD as one of the greatest head coaches in our university's history and one of the elite head...
Title Game Was Biggest
Blowout in Bowl History
Jan 9, 2023 10:15 PM CST
Title Game Was Biggest Blowout in Bowl History
Georgia beats TCU 65-7, largest defeat of any college bowl game ever
- Stetson Bennett threw two touchdown passes and ran for two scores in the first half as No. 1 Georgia demolished No. 3 TCU 65-7 Monday night to become the first team to win consecutive College Football Playoff national championships. It was not only the biggest blowout in any college championship,...
'Auntie, Chill': Player Handles
Dec 19, 2022 10:00 AM CST
'Auntie, Chill': Player Handles Interview-Bombing Relative
College star Frank Gore Jr.'s very enthusiastic aunt spurs 'hilarious' reaction from her nephew
- College football star Frank Gore Jr. had a monumental game over the weekend—and a postgame interview went viral to boot. Gore (the son of NFL great Frank Gore) rushed for 329 yards, an NCAA bowl-game record, to help Southern Miss beat Rice in the LendingTree Bowl, per
She Said NCAA
Nov 23, 2022 8:13 AM CST
She Said NCAA Caused Husband's Death. Jury Disagrees
Jurors rule in favor of sports body, blamed by wife of ex-USC player Matthew Gee for his CTE
- A Los Angeles jury on Tuesday rejected a claim by the widow of a former USC football player who said the NCAA failed to protect him from repeated head trauma that led to his death. Matthew Gee, a linebacker on the 1990 Rose Bowl-winning squad, endured an estimated 6,000...
After a Win 16 Years
in the Making, Fans
Toss One in River
Oct 17, 2022 1:30 AM CDT
After a Win 16 Years in the Making, Fans Steal Goalposts, Toss One in River
Tennessee is asking for donations to replace them
- The University of Tennessee enjoyed an upset football win against the University of Alabama on Saturday; it was the Tennessee Volunteers' first time beating the Alabama Crimson Tide since 2006. Needless to say, fans were excited—a bit too excited. After the win at Tennessee's Neyland Stadium, they stormed...
Football Coach Sorry
He Yelled at Female Athletes
During Title IX Ceremony
Sep 19, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
Football Coach Sorry He Yelled at Female Athletes During Title IX Ceremony
Nobody told Shane Beamer that 275 female athletes would be honored during a timeout
- South Carolina Gamecocks head football coach Shane Beamer has apologized for yelling at female student athletes during Saturday’s home game against the Georgia Bulldogs. Per the
Beamer's outburst was caught on camera following a TV timeout between the first and second quarters. Ultimately, the Gamecocks took...
Reggie Bush Wants His
Heisman Trophy Back
Jul 2, 2021 10:12 AM CDT
Reggie Bush Wants His Heisman Trophy Back
'I never cheated this game,' former USC player says
- "I never cheated this game. That was what they wanted you to believe about me," Reggie Bush tweeted Thursday, calling for the return of the 2005 Heisman Trophy he forfeited for receiving improper benefits at USC. Bush handed back the trophy in 2010 and his college football statistics...
Supreme Court Sides With
College Athletes on Benefits
Jun 21, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Supreme Court Sides With College Athletes on Benefits
Ruling could make it easier for them to be compensated for non-tuition expenses
- In a ruling that could push changes in college athletics, the Supreme Court on Monday unanimously sided with a group of former college athletes over rules limiting certain compensation. The high court ruled that NCAA limits on the education-related benefits that colleges can offer athletes who play Division I basketball...
Coach, 9 Staffers
Jan 18, 2021 4:23 PM CST
Tennessee Fires Coach, 9 Staffers
Pruitt accused of major recruitment violations
- Tennessee has canned coach Jeremy Pruitt and nine others for what the university says were "serious violations" of NCAA recruiting rules. The university says Pruitt, who is in his third year with the Volunteers, will be fired effective Tuesday, along with two assistant coaches and seven other staffers, reports...
NCAA Calls It 'Pay-for-Play.'
Now, SCOTUS Will Decide
Dec 16, 2020 12:23 PM CST
NCAA Calls It 'Pay-for-Play.' Now, SCOTUS Will Decide
High court agrees to review case on athlete compensation
- The Supreme Court on Wednesday agreed to review a court decision that the NCAA says blurs "the line between student-athletes and professionals" by removing caps on education-related money that certain football and basketball players can receive. The high court's action comes after a three-judge panel of the 9th...
Will Be Made
Nov 17, 2020 8:58 AM CST
NFL History Will Be Made on Monday
All-Black referee crew will take to the field for first time
- History will be made Monday in the NFL. For the first time, an all-Black referee crew will officiate an NFL game as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers face the Los Angeles Rams in Tampa. Jerome Boger, a 17-year league veteran, will serve as head referee, assisted by six other Black officials:...
Study: Black Athletes Lose Out
Under NCAA 'Amateur' Rule
Sep 1, 2020 7:57 PM CDT
Study: Black Athletes Lose Out Under NCAA 'Amateur' Rule
If they were paid, players would get an average of up to $500K each
- The "amateur" system at Power 5 colleges has become an effective system to transfer wealth from poorer—and often Black—athletes to mostly white students and administrators, according to a new study from the National Bureau of Economic Research. The NBER estimates that if the student athletes were allowed...
Big Ten, Pac-12 Make
'Extremely Painful' Decision
Aug 11, 2020 5:29 PM CDT
Big Ten, Pac-12 Make 'Extremely Painful' Decision
Conferences are pulling the plug on fall fooball
- The Big Ten and Pac-12 called off their fall football seasons on Tuesday because of concerns about COVID-19, taking two of college football's five power conferences out of a crumbling season. Five months after the first spikes in coronavirus cases in the US led to the cancellation of the...
'Play College Football,'
Aug 10, 2020 4:58 PM CDT
'Play College Football,' Trump Demands
He weighs in after reports Big Ten Conference has called off fall season
- President Trump was quick to weigh in following reports Monday that the Big Ten Conference has voted to cancel the fall season . "Play College Football!" the president tweeted . He also retweeted a post from Clemson University quarterback Trevor Lawrence, who said "we all want to play football"...
Report: Big Ten Football
Has Been Called Off
Aug 10, 2020 1:04 PM CDT
Report: Big Ten Football Has Been Called Off
School presidents voted 12-2 against playing
- The 14 teams of the Big Ten conference have voted overwhelmingly in favor of scrapping this fall's college football season, sources tell the
Detroit Free Press
. On Sunday, university presidents voted 12-2 in favor of ending fall sports in the conference, with only Nebraska and Iowa voting to play,...
Calls It Quits
Aug 8, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
First Top-Tier NCAA League Calls It Quits
'I'm heartbroken we are in this place'
- The Mid-American Conference on Saturday became the first league competing at college football's highest level to cancel its fall season because of COVID-19 concerns, the AP reports. "I'm heartbroken we are in this place," MAC Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher said. With the MAC's 12 schools facing...
Praising Hitler Ends Badly
for Football Coach
Jan 28, 2020 1:09 PM CST
Praising Hitler Ends Badly for Football Coach
Grand Valley State suspends Morris Berger after he lauds Der Fuhrer's leadership skills
- "The way he was able to lead was second-to-none," a college football coach in Michigan said of Hitler. Now, his new job is in jeopardy. Days after he was announced as the offensive coordinator for the Grand Valley State Lakers Division II football team, Morris Berger was interviewed...
Championship Win Caps
Magical Season for LSU
Jan 14, 2020 12:01 AM CST
Championship Win Caps Magical Season for LSU
Joe Burrow broke a few more records
- From small-town Ohio kid to Louisiana Legend, Joe Burrow capped his record-breaking, Heisman-winning season by bringing a national championship to LSU. Burrow threw five touchdown passes, ran for another score and finished off one of the most accomplished seasons in college football history by leading the top-ranked LSU Tigers to...
Letter to Fans
Dec 7, 2019 7:00 AM CST
Player Who Missed Huge Kick Writes Letter to Fans
Alabama's Joseph Bulovas says no one was more disappointed than he was
- The Alabama Crimson Tide was down by three points late in the second half of Saturday's Iron Bowl, which pitted the team against rival Auburn, when Alabama's Joseph Bulovas missed a 30-yard field goal that would have tied the score. Instead, it remained 48-45 in favor of the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
Family Decries Cyclist's 'Sick' Murder by Laughing Teens
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.