Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia in 1-for-1 Prisoner Swap
health care reform
Stories 1 - 20 |
Want to Abolish Private
Health Insurance Market
Jan 12, 2022 1:28 AM CST
Calif. Lawmakers Want to Abolish Private Health Insurance Market
But the bill has a long way to go
- California Democrats on Tuesday took their first step toward abolishing the private health insurance market in the nation’s most populous state and replacing it with a government-run plan that they promised would never deny anyone the care they need. But the proposal that cleared a legislative committee in the...
Trump Appointee: Let's
Infect Kids With COVID
Dec 16, 2020 7:02 PM CST
Trump Appointee: Let's Infect Kids With COVID
Paul Alexander's emails emerge at a House subcommittee
- A top Trump appointee argued this summer that "infants" and "kids" should be infected with COVID-19, CNBC reports. In a July 4 email brought to light by a House subcommittee, former Health and Human services advisor Paul Alexander wrote to senior officials that Washington should let "non-high...
Actress Giving Up
Green Card: 'This Is War'
Jan 7, 2020 6:43 AM CST
Actress Giving Up Green Card: 'This Is War'
Yael Stone says she'll stay in her native Australia to reduce carbon emissions in climate change fight
Orange Is the New Black
alumnus is distressed at how climate change is affecting the world, and at her part in it—and so is putting "some skin in the game" to fight it. Yael Stone, who played Lorna Morello in the hit Netflix series, has long enjoyed...
Warren Mounts a Defense
Nov 16, 2019 5:45 PM CST
Warren Mounts a Defense
The presidential candidate explains how Medicare for All will work
- Elizabeth Warren pushed back against critics of her newly-released plan to phase in implementation of a single-payer health care system, insisting Saturday she is "fully committed" to Medicare for All and plans to first build on existing health care programs. "My commitment to Medicare for All is all...
Democrats 'Thrilled' by
Trump's ObamaCare Move
Mar 27, 2019 6:45 AM CDT
Democrats 'Thrilled' by Trump's ObamaCare Move
Return to issue 'a birthday present for Pelosi'
- Democrats feeling dejected after the Robert Mueller report failed to meet their expectations didn't have to wait long for a boost. On Monday, the Trump administration asked a federal appeals court to strike down ObamaCare , giving Democrats an opportunity to return to a key campaign issue. The administration, which...
Driver Being Chased by Cops
Hits 3 Kids in Playground
Jun 13, 2018 12:50 AM CDT
Driver Being Chased by Cops Hits 3 Kids in Playground
Youngest Minneapolis sibling was critically injured
- An unlicensed driver being chased by state troopers plowed into a Minneapolis playground, injuring three young siblings, one of them critically, authorities say. State troopers tried to stop 27-year-old Kabaar Powell for speeding on Interstate 94 on Monday, but he tried to flee, authorities say. They say he eventually got...
Trump: Executive Order Will
Deliver 'Great, Great, Insurance'
Oct 11, 2017 12:38 AM CDT
Trump: Executive Order Will Deliver 'Great, Great, Insurance'
He plans to loosen ObamaCare restrictions
- "Since Congress can't get its act together on HealthCare, I will be using the power of the pen to give great HealthCare to many people - FAST," President Trump tweeted Tuesday. Trump says he will probably sign an executive order this week that will loosen restrictions on...
Senate GOP Won't Vote
on ObamaCare Repeal
Sep 26, 2017 2:04 PM CDT
Senate GOP Won't Vote on ObamaCare Repeal
Republicans lacked the votes to pass Graham-Cassidy
- Senate Republicans announced Tuesday they will not hold a vote on the Graham-Cassidy bill to repeal ObamCare, Bloomberg reports. The decision marks the most recent failure of the GOP's seven-year effort to end the Affordable Care Act. The bill was sunk when senators Susan Collins, John McCain, and Rand...
Collins Is a No, Effectively
Killing Latest Repeal Bill
Sep 25, 2017 6:01 PM CDT
Collins Is a No, Effectively Killing Latest Repeal Bill
She releases a statement with her position
- The last-gasp Republican drive to tear down President Barack Obama's health care law essentially died Monday as Maine Sen. Susan Collins joined a small but decisive cluster of GOP senators in opposing the push, the AP reports. The Maine moderate said in a statement that the legislation would make...
Health Care Hearing
Sep 25, 2017 4:54 PM CDT
Protesters in Wheelchairs Dragged From Health Care Hearing
Hearing was suspended for 15 minutes
- Protesters, including some in wheelchairs, were removed from a Senate hearing on the latest GOP bill to repeal ObamaCare Monday afternoon,
reports. Politico says they were "dragged out" by Capitol Police. Demonstrators, who were organized by the disability rights group ADAPT and most of whom were in...
Health Care Bill
Sep 24, 2017 2:48 PM CDT
Cruz Joins Opposition to Republican Health Care Bill
'Right now, they don't have my vote'
- The GOP's path to passing its most recent attempt to repeal ObamaCare continued to get narrower—perhaps closing altogether—on Sunday. “Right now, they don’t have my vote,” Politico quotes Sen. Ted Cruz as saying during a panel discussion Sunday. “And I don’t think...
Bill Firms Up
Sep 24, 2017 10:08 AM CDT
GOP Senator's Opposition to Health Care Bill Firms Up
Collins says 'very difficult' to see voting for Graham-Cassidy
- It now sounds like Sen. Susan Collins is doing a little more than "leaning against" the GOP's newest ObamaCare repeal effort. "It's very difficult for me to envision a scenario where I would end up voting for this bill," CNN quotes the Maine Republican as...
Kimmel Goes After
Health Care Bill Again
Sep 22, 2017 6:28 AM CDT
A Relentless Kimmel Goes After Health Care Bill Again
Late-night host also skewers President Trump's intentions on health care reform
- The Jimmy Kimmel - Bill Cassidy dust-up over health care circled back to Kimmel Thursday , the third night in a row that the late-night host has taken on the Louisiana senator over the latter's bill with Sen. Lindsey Graham to replace ObamaCare. Per
, Kimmel addressed President Trump at...
Some States Will Be
Big Winners Under
ObamaCare Repeal Bill
Sep 22, 2017 5:32 AM CDT
Some States Will Be Big Winners Under ObamaCare Repeal Bill
But there will be 31 losers, according to federal report
- There will be some big winners and plenty of losers under the latest effort at ObamaCare repeal, according to a Trump administration internal report. The federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services predicts that reallocation of funding in the bill from Republican Sens. Bill Cassidy and Lindsey Graham will cause...
GOP Health Care Bill Author
Swings Back at Jimmy Kimmel
Sep 20, 2017 12:02 PM CDT
GOP Health Care Bill Author Swings Back at Jimmy Kimmel
And more on the Graham-Cassidy bill
- Jimmy Kimmel's blistering monologue on Tuesday night against the latest GOP plan to repeal ObamaCare called out one of its authors by name, and now Louisiana Sen. Bill Cassidy is swinging back. What he and Lindsey Graham conceived would take the money ObamaCare spends on Medicaid and insurance subsidies,...
Makes Final Push to
Sep 19, 2017 1:03 AM CDT
Senate GOP Makes Final Push to Repeal ObamaCare
Effort has a 2-week window to pass
- Senate Republicans are expressing growing hope for a final push to scuttle ObamaCare, an effort that still faces an uphill climb and has just a two-week window to pass. Adding more risk, senators would be in the dark about the bill's impact on Americans, since the Congressional Budget Office...
John McCain Is Not
Your Health Care Hero
Jul 28, 2017 1:44 PM CDT
John McCain Is Not Your Health Care Hero
McCain gets the headlines, but others made those headlines possible
- Democrats need to take the right lesson from Friday's dramatic rescue of the Affordable Care Act: You can be grateful for Sen. John McCain's vote, but he's not your hero. The
reports McCain is a man of principle, but those principles are "process, decorum, and...
There's a Flaw
Jul 26, 2017 4:59 PM CDT
There's a Flaw in McCain's Logic
Op-ed: By saving the health bill, he undermined his whole argument
- John McCain got a hero's welcome on Tuesday when he returned to the floor of the Senate to cast a crucial vote to allow Republicans to take up health care reform. His colleagues gave him a standing ovation, given that he'd received a diagnosis of brain cancer less...
Jul 26, 2017 4:11 PM CDT
Senate Rejects Proposal to Repeal ObamaCare
Proposal would have given Congress 2 years to come up with a replacement
- The Republican-run Senate has rejected a GOP proposal to scuttle President Obama's health care law and give Congress two years to devise a replacement, the AP reports. Seven Republicans joined all Democrats Wednesday in a 45-55 vote defeating the plan. It was the second self-inflicted setback the GOP has...
Is Latest to Incur
Jul 26, 2017 7:21 AM CDT
Alaska Senator Is Latest to Incur Trump's Wrath
Trump disappointed with Lisa Murkowski's 'no' votes Tuesday
- President Trump scored a victory Tuesday when a motion to proceed on the healthcare debate passed the Senate 51-50, but that doesn't mean he's willing to overlook the two votes from Republicans in opposition. In a tweet Wednesday, Trump singled out Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska—who cast...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
Polygamous Leader Had 'Wives' as Young as 9: FBI
Germany Uncovers Alleged Coup Plot Involving Aristocrat
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
SCOTUS Hears Case That Could Reshape Elections
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.