Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Lawyer: Man Killed by Cop Car
Had ID but Family Wasn't Told
Nov 17, 2023 11:44 AM CST
Lawyer: Man Killed by Cop Car Had ID but Family Wasn't Told
Alabama man Dexter Wade was buried in pauper's grave
- A man struck and killed by a Jackson, Mississippi, police vehicle in March had his ID in his pocket when he was buried in a pauper's grave, his family's lawyer says. Dexter Wade, 37, was reported missing by mother Bettersten Wade on March 14. She spent months searching...
House Dems Whisked Out of
DNC HQ Amid Ceasefire Protest
Nov 16, 2023 7:24 AM CST
House Dems Whisked Out of DNC HQ Amid Ceasefire Protest
USCP says 6 officers were injured by 'violent' protesters; protesters say police attacked them
- A protest Wednesday outside DC's Democratic National Committee headquarters in favor of a ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war led to an evacuation of House Democrats sheltered there, as well as violent clashes between demonstrators and law enforcement. US Capitol Police and DC's Metropolitan Police were on the scene...
Atlanta Police Battle Protesters
Nov 13, 2023 7:15 PM CST
Atlanta Police Battle Protesters
Demonstration opposed construction of training center
- Police used tear gas and flash-bang grenades Monday to halt a march against building an Atlanta-area police and firefighter training center that opponents call "Cop City." More than 400 people marched about two miles from a park to the site in suburban DeKalb County, chanting "stop Cop...
Oct 30, 2023 11:17 AM CDT
Portugal Police to McCanns: We're Sorry
Law enforcement delegation offers apology to parents of missing toddler over handling of case
- Madeleine McCann vanished in 2007 from a Portuguese holiday home while vacationing with her family, and now, more than 16 years later, police there have extended an apology to her parents for the way they handled the investigation at the time. The BBC reports that a senior law enforcement...
More Trouble for
Oct 5, 2023 11:10 AM CDT
More Trouble for Sheriff Whose Officers Formed 'Goon Squad'
Undersheriff in Rankin County, Mississippi, resigns after allegations emerge about Bryan Bailey
- The undersheriff of the Mississippi sheriff's department whose former officers pleaded guilty to torturing Black men resigned Monday, days after allegations surfaced about his boss. A joint investigation by
New York Times
revealed the local district attorney investigated Rankin County Sheriff Bryan Bailey for illegally...
Officers' Response to
Worried Father Goes Viral
Sep 19, 2023 10:55 AM CDT
Officers' Response to Worried Father Goes Viral
He said daughter, 11, was manipulated by adult to send explicit pics; cops said she could be charged
- A father in Columbus, Ohio, shared video of an exchange with two city officers who came to his door, and the department says it's now investigating how they handled things. As 10TV explains, the father called police to report that his 11-year-old daughter had been manipulated by an adult...
They Were Arrested at Sarah
Everard Vigil. Now, an Apology
Sep 14, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
They Were Arrested at Sarah Everard Vigil. Now, an Apology
Metropolitan Police to pay 'substantial damages' to 2 women who were mourning murdered UK woman
- Just days after the body of Sarah Everard, murdered by a police officer now serving a life sentence, was found in Kent, England, in March 2021, mourners were detained at a London vigil in her memory. Now, police there are apologizing for how two protesters in particular were treated, with...
On NYC's Labor Day Weekend,
a 'Sci-Fi Inspired Scenario'
Sep 2, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
On NYC's Labor Day Weekend, a 'Sci-Fi Inspired Scenario'
NYPD says it will deploy surveillance drones to check on too-large holiday gatherings
- Americans across the nation are gearing up for their final summer weekend, but for residents of New York City, there may be what the AP calls "an uninvited guest looming over their festivities." The NYPD announced Thursday it will deploy surveillance drones throughout Labor Day weekend to check...
Former Police Union Chief Gets
Prison Time for $600K Fraud
Aug 4, 2023 12:33 PM CDT
Former Police Union Chief Gets Prison Time for $600K Fraud
Ed Mullins, ex-head of NYPD's Sergeants Benevolent Association, sentenced to 2 years behind bars
- For almost 20 years, Ed Mullins served as the head of one of the largest police unions in America. Now, the former president will spend two years behind bars for perpetrating fraud against the Sergeants Benevolent Association, which represents the 13,000 active and retired sergeants of the New York...
Police 'Prepared' for
Aug 3, 2023 11:06 AM CDT
Police 'Prepared' for Trump Arraignment
Security boosted ahead of 4pm ET hearing in Washington
- Some online commenters have called for an "armed revolution" since Tuesday's indictment of former President Trump on four felony charges. But Capitol Police Chief Tom Manger doesn't expect much drama Thursday when Trump is arraigned at the federal courthouse in Washington, DC, where more than 1,000...
DOJ: This 'Made
What Happened to
George Floyd Possible'
Jun 16, 2023 11:13 AM CDT
DOJ: This 'Made What Happened to George Floyd Possible'
After 2-year investigation, agency finds Minneapolis cops engaged in pattern of discrimination
- The Justice Department accused Minneapolis police Friday of engaging in a pattern of violating constitutional rights and discriminating against Black and Native American people following an investigation prompted by the killing of George Floyd. The sweeping two-year civil rights investigation concluded that systemic problems in the Minneapolis Police Department "...
Protections for Police Dog
in Patrol Car Fail—Fatally
Jun 14, 2023 11:28 AM CDT
Protections for Police Dog in Patrol Car Fail—Fatally
Houston police say air-conditioned vehicle shut off without warning, killing K9 Aron
- A police dog in Texas died in a "tragic accident" Monday as the air-conditioned patrol car the 4-year-old was housed in unexpectedly lost power. The handler of the Houston Police Department dog named Aron had left him in a "running, air-conditioned patrol vehicle, which is a necessary and...
Bizarre Traffic Stop Involves
One Cop Accusing Another
Jun 13, 2023 11:40 AM CDT
Bizarre Traffic Stop Involves One Cop Accusing Another
Officer in Orlando has been relieved of duty pending an investigation
- It must have looked for all the world like two police cars racing to a crime scene. Instead, it was one law enforcement officer trying to stop another for speeding. The strange scene unfolded in Orlando, Florida, where a deputy with the Seminole County Sheriff's Office says he spotted...
Jun 6, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Amid Protests, Officials OK Funding for 'Cop City'
Atlanta City Council approves tens of millions to build training center for police, firefighters
- The Atlanta City Council early Tuesday approved funding for the construction of a proposed police and firefighter training center, rejecting the pleas of hundreds of activists who packed City Hall and spoke for hours in fierce opposition to the project they decry as "Cop City." The 11-4 vote...
Cops Will Pay Family $19M
in Christian Glass Case
May 23, 2023 5:55 PM CDT
Cops Will Pay Family $19M in Christian Glass Case
Settlement also includes crisis intervention training for police in Colorado
- The parents of a 22-year-old Colorado man shot dead by police after he called 911 for help last year are getting a $19 million settlement—and an apology. Family members say Christian Glass was having a mental health crisis when his SUV got stuck on a road in the mountain...
Guy Was Coming 'Full Sprint'
With a Sword. Cop Shot Him
May 17, 2023 1:28 PM CDT
Guy Was Coming 'Full Sprint' With a Sword. Cop Shot Him
23-year-old suspect is in the hospital
- A man shot by police in Massachusetts last weekend was holding a sword over his head and running at an officer at a “full sprint,” police tell the AP . The 23-year-old man, whom NBC Boston identifies as Shawn O'Connell, faces attempted murder and other charges in connection...
Cops' Post on Wanted Felon
Gets a Surprise Comment
May 17, 2023 11:24 AM CDT
Cops' Post on Wanted Felon Gets a Surprise Comment
Ohio's Tanner Rhinehart responded to post alerting public to his own arrest warrant
- Ohio police turned to Facebook in an effort to track down a wanted man, only to have the man reply with a taunt. "Y'all almost had [me] the other day you gotta be quicker than that," 20-year-old Tanner Rhinehart commented Monday in response to a notice from...
Cops Rushing Toward Person in
Distress Get Quite the Surprise
in case you missed it
May 14, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Cops Rushing Toward Person in Distress Get Quite the Surprise
Goat was making humanlike sounds that sent Oklahoma police officers into a panic
- Two police officers in Oklahoma got quite the surprise earlier this week while coming to the aid of what they thought was a person in distress. CBS News reports that the Enid Police Department's David Sneed and Neal Storey responded Monday to a call reporting someone crying for help,...
Black Family Handcuffed
and Detained Get $8M
Mar 9, 2023 12:46 PM CST
Black Family Handcuffed and Detained Get $8M
Jury in California says mother, two daughters were unlawfully detained
- A Black woman and her two daughters who made a pit stop only to wind up in handcuffs have been awarded $8.25 million by a California jury. The
reports that Aasylei Loggervale and her girls were on a nine-hour drive in 2019 from their home in...
AG: Probe Found
by Louisville Police
Mar 8, 2023 11:47 AM CST
AG: Probe Found 'Heartbreaking' Misconduct by Louisville Police
Federal investigation was opened after Breonna Taylor shooting
- The US Justice Department has found Louisville police have engaged in a pattern of violating constitutional rights following an investigation prompted by the fatal police shooting of Breonna Taylor. The announcement was made Wednesday by Attorney General Merrick Garland. A Justice Department report found the Louisville/Jefferson County Metro Government and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Awards Season Kicks Off With De Niro Going Off-Script
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.