Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Kaitlin Armstrong Convicted
of Murder in Star Cyclist's Death
Nov 16, 2023 4:05 PM CST
Kaitlin Armstrong Convicted of Murder in Star Cyclist's Death
Former yoga instructor could receive 99-year term in slaying of Anna Moriah Wilson
- A Texas jury has returned a guilty verdict in the murder trial of Kaitlin Armstrong, who was charged with the fatal shooting last year of pro cyclist Anna Moriah Wilson. State District Judge Brenda Kennedy said the jury deliberated for about two hours before convicting the former yoga instructor, the...
Teen Who Killed Boyfriend,
Friend in Car Crash Learns Fate
Aug 22, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Teen Who Killed Boyfriend, Friend in Car Crash Learns Fate
Mackenzie Shirilla sentenced to 15 years to life behind bars
- The 19-year-old convicted of murder after she crashed a car into a building at 100mph, killing her boyfriend and his friend, has been sentenced to two concurrent sentences of 15 years to life behind bars. Her driver's license will also be suspended for life, NBC News reports. Mackenzie Shirilla,...
Alleged Killer of Mother,
Grandfather Is Dead Now, Too
Jun 15, 2023 2:44 PM CDT
Alleged Killer of Mother, Grandfather Is Dead Now, Too
Nathan Carman of Vermont found dead in prison while awaiting trial
- A 29-year-old Vermont man has died in prison while awaiting trial in the high-profile death of his mother . Nathan Carman was found dead in his cell at a federal prison in Keene, New Hampshire, reports WMUR . He was alone at the time, and authorities have not revealed the cause of...
'It Was a Very Mournful Cry for
Daddy Over and Over Again'
Jun 8, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
'It Was a Very Mournful Cry for Daddy Over and Over Again'
Man who killed father sleeping in tent with young daughters is sentenced
- The man who fatally shot a father as he slept in a tent with his two young daughters at California's Malibu Creek State Park campground was on Wednesday sentenced to 119 years to life behind bars. Anthony Rauda, 46, had been convicted of 35-year-old Tristan Beaudette's 2018 murder...
Bike Path Killer Gets
10 Life Sentences
May 17, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
Bike Path Killer Gets 10 Life Sentences
Families, victims describe their pain in court
- A judge on Wednesday imposed 10 life sentences, plus 260 years, on the Islamic terrorist who drove a truck onto a Manhattan bike path in 2017, killing eight people and severely injuring 18. In following prosecutors' recommendations, US District Judge Vernon Broderick cited Sayfullo Saipov's lack of remorse. Families...
Prosecutor Tells Jury
Vallow Used Sex, Power
May 11, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
Prosecutor Tells Jury Vallow Used Sex, Power
Panel begins deliberations after being told mother used sex and power in a murderous plot
- The woman charged in the slayings of her two youngest children and a romantic rival wanted their money, so she used sex and power to manipulate her brother and a lover into carrying out the crimes, Idaho prosecutors told jurors Thursday. "Money, power and sex," Madison County Prosecutor...
Jury Convicts Alex Murdaugh
in Slayings of Wife and Son
Mar 2, 2023 6:19 PM CST
Jury Convicts Alex Murdaugh in Slayings of Wife and Son
Panel reaches quick murder verdict against disbarred South Carolina lawyer
- The verdict in the sensational double-murder trial of Alex Murdaugh is in. A jury in South Carolina on Thursday found the disbarred lawyer guilty of murder in the 2021 slayings of his wife, Maggie, and son, Paul. The panel deliberated less than three hours after a trial that lasted more...
Inventing an Alibi
Feb 24, 2023 5:10 PM CST
Prosecutors Tell Murdaugh He's Inventing an Alibi
Murder defendant testifies drugs clouded his thinking
- Prosecutors pushed Alex Murdaugh on Friday about what they called his "new story"—testimony about his whereabouts the night his wife and son were shot to death in 2021. The disbarred South Carolina lawyer said on the stand the day before that he had lied to investigators when...
Alex Murdaugh: Yes, 'I Lied.'
No, I'm Not a Murderer
Feb 23, 2023 12:39 PM CST
Alex Murdaugh: Yes, 'I Lied.' No, I'm Not a Murderer
“I did not shoot my wife or my son,' he says while testifying in his own defense
- Alex Murdaugh took the risky step of testifying in his own defense on Thursday, and he insisted in person that he didn't murder his wife and son in South Carolina. But the 54-year-old disbarred attorney also admitted lying about his whereabouts the night they were killed in 2021....
Surviving Son: Alex Murdaugh
'Heartbroken' After Slayings
Feb 21, 2023 1:02 PM CST
Surviving Son: Alex Murdaugh 'Heartbroken' After Slayings
Buster Murdaugh takes the stand in his father's defense
- As the Alex Murdaugh double-murder trial in the slayings of his wife and son continues in South Carolina, his surviving son's testimony and a lawyer's tweet made headlines Tuesday.
Buster Murdaugh, Alex's surviving son, testified in his father's defense and said his dad was
Murdaugh's Drug Habit
Cost $50K—Per Week
Feb 16, 2023 8:34 AM CST
Murdaugh's Drug Habit Cost $50K—Per Week
Admission triggers a blow to South Carolina lawyer's murder defense
- The judge in Alex Murdaugh's murder trial made a dramatic reversal Wednesday after defense attorneys claimed authorities had failed to investigate lines of evidence that could point to other possible killers in the June 2021 murders of Paul and Maggie Murdaugh. During cross-examination, defense attorney Jim Griffin asked SLED...
Trial, an Obscene
Feb 10, 2023 11:05 AM CST
At Murdaugh Trial, an Obscene Gesture and Contraband
Official says some family members will have to sit further back in court on Friday due to their antics
- The courtroom drama continues in the murder trial of Alex Murdaugh , the South Carolina man being prosecuted for the June 2021 killings of his wife, 52-year-old Maggie, and son Paul, 22. On Wednesday, a bomb threat led to the evacuation of the Colleton County Courthouse in Walterboro. Now, it appears...
Alex Murdaugh Can't Keep
Jury in Dark on Money Woes
Feb 7, 2023 8:25 AM CST
Alex Murdaugh Can't Keep Jury in Dark on Money Woes
Judge rules against him at double-murder trial
- A judge ruled Monday he will allow jurors to hear evidence that disgraced South Carolina attorney Alex Murdaugh was stealing money from his law firm and clients and committing other financial crimes long before his wife and son were killed in 2021. Murdaugh, 54, is standing trial in the shootings...
Murdaugh Quoted as Saying,
'I Did Him So Bad'
Jan 31, 2023 11:00 AM CST
Murdaugh Quoted as Saying, 'I Did Him So Bad'
But others aren't so sure of the recording in South Carolina double-murder trial
- As the high-profile double-murder trial of Alex Murdaugh continues in South Carolina, an investigator told the court on Monday of a potentially crucial statement Murdaugh made during an interview. It came during the testimony of state investigator Jeff Croft, who recalled showing Murdaugh graphic photos of his slain wife and...
After Murders, Murdaugh
Kept Mentioning Boat Crash
Jan 27, 2023 7:57 AM CST
After Murders, Murdaugh Kept Mentioning Boat Crash
First witness, a sheriff's deputy, says he saw no 'visible tears' from the accused
- The first officer to respond to Alex Murdaugh's report that he'd found his wife and son shot to death on the family's property says he cried no tears. Instead, the South Carolina attorney immediately provided a motive for why the killer acted against his loved ones on...
Food Trucks Ready as
Murdaugh Trial Begins
Jan 23, 2023 1:59 AM CST
Hotels Packed, Food Trucks Ready as Murdaugh Trial Begins
Jury selection begins Monday in South Carolina
- It's being called the "trial of the century" by some outlets, or at the very least, South Carolina's trial of the century: Alex Murdaugh's trial on charges of murdering his wife and son begins Monday with jury selection. A sampling of coverage in advance of the...
'Controlling' Father Guilty of
Murdering Teen Daughters
Aug 9, 2022 5:29 PM CDT
'Controlling' Father Guilty of Murdering Teen Daughters
Yaser Said evaded arrest for 12 years after Dallas-area killings
- A suburban Dallas man who evaded arrest for more than 12 years after the fatal shootings of his two teenage daughters in 2008 was convicted Tuesday in the killings that prosecutors said were driven by his obsessive desire for control. Yaser Said, 65, was found guilty of capital murder in...
Prosecutor: His Daughters Said
He'd Kill Them, and He Did
Aug 3, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Prosecutor: His Daughters Said He'd Kill Them, and He Did
Yaser Said, 65, is accused of shooting his teen daughters dead in 2008
- A man who evaded arrest for more than 12 years after being accused of fatally shooting his two teenage daughters in a taxi parked near a Dallas-area hotel was "obsessed with possession and control," a prosecutor said Tuesday during opening statements of his capital murder trial. Yaser Said,...
With Kristin Smart's Body Still
Missing, Murder Trial Begins
Jul 18, 2022 1:31 PM CDT
With Kristin Smart's Body Still Missing, Murder Trial Begins
Paul Flores accused of her 1996 murder
- The smiling face of Kristin Smart still looks out from a billboard in front of attorney James Murphy Jr.’s law office more than 25 years after the college freshman vanished from a campus on California's picturesque central coast. It once offered a $75,000 reward to help...
Jury Acquits Man Who Once
Confessed in Teacher's Death
May 20, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
Jury Acquits Man Who Once Confessed in Teacher's Death
Ryan Duke, convicted on a lesser charge, now says a friend killed Tara Grinstead
: A Georgia jury has acquitted Ryan Duke of murder charges in the 2005 killing of a high school teacher in her home, a crime he once confessed to. The defendant reversed his confession during the nine-day trial, Fox News reports, and accused his best friend instead. He said Bo...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.