Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read recent Canadian news stories and current events on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Americans Charged With
Dec 7, 2023 1:00 AM CST
Americans Charged With Murdering Canadian Entrepreneur and His Partner
Daniel Langlois, Dominique Marchand believed to have been ambushed in car
- Two Americans, Jonathan Lehrer and Robert Snider, have been charged with murdering Daniel Langlois and Dominique Marchand, the Canadian entrepreneur and his partner found dead in a burned-out car last week in Dominica. Lehrer owns property adjacent to the eco-resort owned by Langlois and Marchand, and had been involved in...
Punches Canadian Cop
Dec 5, 2023 5:39 PM CST
Escaped Kangaroo Punches Canadian Cop
They've made it an honorary member of K9 unit
- Police officers east of Toronto dealt with a situation Monday that their training probably never covered: an escaped kangaroo. The animal hopped over its handlers and escaped late last week during what was supposed to be a brief stop at the Oshawa Zoo en route to Quebec. Staff Sgt. Chris...
Trudeau Slams Meta After
News Deal With Google
Nov 30, 2023 4:06 AM CST
Trudeau Slams Meta After News Deal With Google
Google will pay $74M a year to Canadian news industry
- Canada's government said Wednesday it reached a deal with Google for the company to contribute $100 million Canadian dollars annually to the country's news industry to comply with a new Canadian law requiring tech companies to pay publishers for their content. The agreement removes a threat by Google...
'Super Pigs' Edge
South Into US
Nov 22, 2023 5:20 PM CST
'Super Pigs' Edge South Into US
States weigh strategies to contain destructive crossbreeds
- An exploding population of hard-to-eradicate "super pigs" in Canada is threatening to spill south of the border, and northern states like Minnesota, North Dakota, and Montana are taking steps to stop the invasion. In Canada, the wild pigs roaming Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba pose a new threat, the AP...
Plane Crash Mystery Was
'Inexplicable'—Until It Wasn't
Nov 20, 2023 2:15 PM CST
Plane Crash Mystery Was 'Inexplicable'—Until It Wasn't
Police said it seemed 2 decades old
- A Canadian hunter came upon the site of an apparent plane crash near Kamloops, British Columbia, on Nov. 3 and alerted police. The
reports the Royal Canadian Mounted Police's initial investigation only deepened a seemingly "inexplicable" mystery: The bush plane wreckage had no motor, wings, doors, or...
The Phony Will Worked—
Until His Ex Got Suspicious
Nov 19, 2023 12:50 PM CST
The Phony Will Worked— Until His Ex Got Suspicious
'Toronto Life' unravels story of ex-cop, his mistress, and the money they stole from a dead man
- In one sense, the story by Katherine Laidlaw in
recounts a straightforward, depressing crime: When an elderly man with dementia died without a will and seemingly without relatives, a couple successfully schemed to illegally obtain his estate of more than $800,000. They pulled it off because Adellene...
Fashion Tycoon Convicted
of Sexual Assaults
Nov 13, 2023 12:30 AM CST
Fashion Tycoon Convicted of Sexual Assaults
'Canada's Jeffrey Epstein' is also fighting extradition to US on other charges
- "Canada's Jeffrey Epstein" was convicted in Toronto on Sunday of sexually assaulting women between the late 1980s and 2005. Fashion tycoon Peter Nygard, 82, was found guilty of four counts, the
reports. He was acquitted on the fifth count of sexual assault as well as one count...
Border Wall Plan
Nov 10, 2023 1:04 PM CST
Canadians Bristle at Ramaswamy's Border Wall Plan
'Completely nuts,' says former Alberta premier
- Wednesday night's Republican debate focused on foreign policy—and one policy proposed by Vivek Ramaswamy has raised some eyebrows on the other side of the world's longest border. The candidate pledged to build a wall along the 5,524-mile border with Canada, an idea former Alberta premier Jason...
NZ Curling Team Moves Into
a Canadian Retirement Home
Nov 3, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
NZ Curling Team Moves Into a Canadian Retirement Home
New Zealand squad needed inexpensive lodging while training in Canada
- The average age of residents in the Chartwell Colonel Belcher Retirement Residence in Calgary is 84, notes the
New York Times
. But if the home's four new temporary residents were factored in, the number would skew much lower. In an unusual lodging arrangement—and one that seems to thrill...
Canadian Author Pleads
Guilty to Abducting Son
Nov 3, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
Canadian Author Pleads Guilty to Abducting Son
Prosecutors said Dawn Walker faked their deaths before fleeing to Oregon
- A Canadian author accused of faking her death and the death of her 7-year-old son before fleeing to Oregon last year has pleaded guilty to charges including parental abduction, but will probably avoid prison time. Dawn Walker, an award-winning Indigenous writer from Saskatchewan, also pleaded guilty Thursday to possession of...
Man Saving Moose From
Halloween Decor Goes Viral
Oct 27, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
Man Saving Moose From Halloween Decor Goes Viral
After human helps it get untangled from decorations in BC, moose gives him a friendly lick
- Halloween proved especially frightening for one Canadian moose over the weekend, or at least one family's Halloween decorations did. The CBC reports that Shaydon Soucy was driving with his wife Saturday to visit a friend in the British Columbia city of Fort St. John when they spotted something odd...
In Canada, a Puzzler
Over Great White Sharks
Oct 23, 2023 11:32 AM CDT
In Canada, a Puzzler Over Great White Sharks
Five have washed up in a year, an unusually high number, and scientists are unsure what's going on
- Earlier this month, a 14-foot great white shark washed up on a shore in Nova Scotia, Canada, and it's a head-scratcher for ocean scientists on two fronts. First, the adult shark was seemingly healthy on all fronts, and they can't determine what caused its death, reports Live Science...
Canadian Nun, 97, Faces
Gross Indecency Charges
Oct 18, 2023 4:12 PM CDT
Canadian Nun, 97, Faces Gross Indecency Charges
She worked at infamous residential school for Indigenous children in the 1960s
- A 97-year-old nun in Canada is facing multiple charges connected to alleged sexual assaults at a notorious residential school for Indigenous children in the 1960s and 1970s. Police in Ontario say Francoise Seguin was charged with three counts of "gross indecency," an offence that was repealed when laws...
Spy Chiefs in 5 Nations
Sound Warning on China
Oct 18, 2023 11:43 AM CDT
Spy Chiefs in 5 Nations Sound Warning on China
Five Eyes intelligence chiefs say Chinese spies are operating at an 'epic scale'
- Spy movies have taught us to suspect figures lurking around military bases and federal buildings, yet the focus of Chinese spying in the US looks quite different, according to the heads of spy agencies in the Five Eyes coalition—US, Canada, Britain, Australia, and New Zealand—who gathered for an...
Harsh Obit That Funeral
Home Rejected Goes Viral
in case you missed it
Oct 14, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
Harsh Obit That Funeral Home Rejected Goes Viral
Amanda Denis thanked karma for 'doing what she does best' in death of her 'narcissistic' father
- When Amanda Denis first penned an obituary for her late father, the funeral home wouldn't publish it. The Ontario woman's scathing "tribute" did temporarily appear online on an obit website, though that got taken down, too—but her screenshots of it have since gone viral on TikTok...
Canadian Auto Workers'
Strike Ends After 13 Hours
Oct 10, 2023 5:18 PM CDT
Canadian Auto Workers' Strike Ends After 13 Hours
Union says GM gave in on all the issues it had been fighting it on
- General Motors and the union representing Canadian auto workers reached a tentative contract agreement Tuesday, ending a strike that began just after midnight. About 4,300 striking workers at two GM factories and a parts warehouse returned to work Tuesday afternoon and will vote on the three-year deal later. Lana...
North American Charging
Stations to Get More Cohesive
Oct 5, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
North American Charging Stations to Get More Cohesive
Hyundai and Kia are outfitting their electric vehicles to be compatible with Tesla's ports
- Hyundai and Kia say they're adopting North American Charging Standard ports for their electric vehicles in the US and Canada, which will give the vehicles access to thousands of Tesla Superchargers across the two countries and Mexico, reports the AP . Tesla's Superchargers are coveted by other automakers because...
They Were Likely Reading in
Tent When Grizzly Attacked
Oct 5, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
They Were Likely Reading in Tent When Grizzly Attacked
Relative identifies the victims as Doug Inglis and Jenny Gusse
- The couple killed by a grizzly bear in Banff National Park on Friday had been together since their university days, a relative tells the CBC of Doug Inglis and Jenny Gusse, both 62. Describing them as "highly, highly experienced in being out back," Colin Inglis says the two...
Canada's House Speaker
Resigns With 'Profound Regret'
Sep 26, 2023 3:01 PM CDT
Canada's House Speaker Resigns With 'Profound Regret'
Anthony Rota invited man who fought with Nazis to Parliament during Zelensky visit
- The speaker of Canada's House of Commons has resigned under pressure from fellow lawmakers. Liberal Party MP Anthony Rota stepped down as speaker Tuesday, expressing "profound regret" for inviting a man who fought with the Nazis to Parliament during Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky's visit last week, the...
Park Patrons Get More Thrills
Than They Bargained For
Sep 25, 2023 1:22 PM CDT
Park Patrons Get More Thrills Than They Bargained For
Riders on Canada's Wonderland Lumberjack attraction dangled upside down for 25 minutes
- Thrill-seekers at a Canadian amusement park got more thrills than they bargained for over the weekend when the ride they were on came to an abrupt halt, leaving them dangling upside down for nearly 30 minutes. CP24 reports the apparent malfunction happened Saturday night at Canada's Wonderland, located in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.