Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
GOP Votes Help Senate
Pass Marriage Protections
Nov 16, 2022 5:50 PM CST
GOP Votes Help Senate Pass Marriage Protections
Sponsor says some couples need protection from Supreme Court
- With support from a dozen Republicans, the Senate on Wednesday voted 62-37 to protect same-sex marriage, most particularly from the Supreme Court. The House would have to approve the bill for the second time, but the Senate vote puts the legislation on the path to President Biden's desk, Politico...
GOP Sees Harder
Fight in Taking
Back Senate, House
Sep 26, 2022 8:42 AM CDT
GOP Sees Harder Fight in Taking Back Senate, House
Republicans still projected to win House, but that number is falling, and Senate now looks precarious
- In just 43 days, Americans will decide the makeup of the Senate and House. And with President Biden's tepid poll numbers earlier this year, as well as historical precedence that often has the party in power ceding ground during the midterms, it seemed a given just a few months...
'With This Law, the
American People Won'
Aug 16, 2022 4:34 PM CDT
'With This Law, the American People Won'
Biden signs Inflation Reduction Act into law
- In a move that many would have considered highly unlikely less than a month ago, President Biden signed a sweeping bill to tackle climate change and other issues into law in a White House ceremony Tuesday. The Inflation Reduction Act made it through the House and Senate after Sen. Joe...
Sinema Put Manchin
in Role of Protecting Bill
Aug 8, 2022 7:25 PM CDT
Sinema Put Manchin in Role of Protecting Bill
Differences on taxes were resolved, allowing passage, though it wasn't easy
- Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin and Majority Leader Chuck Schumer negotiated for months on the climate change, health care, and tax legislation that passed the Senate on Sunday. When they finally reached an agreement, they still weren't finished. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema had been left out of the talks, and she...
Senate Tiebreaker Approves
Sweeping Economic Package
Aug 7, 2022 2:55 PM CDT
Senate Tiebreaker Approves Sweeping Economic Package
Democrats' victory sends legislation to curb global warming, pharmaceutical costs to House
- Democrats pushed their election-year economic package to Senate passage Sunday, a hard-fought compromise less sweeping than President Biden’s original domestic vision but one that still meets deep-rooted party goals of slowing global warming, moderating pharmaceutical costs, and taxing immense corporations. The estimated $740 billion package heads next to the...
Democrats' Bill Clears Hurdle,
Faces Vote-a-Rama 'Hell'
Aug 7, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Democrats' Bill Clears Hurdle, Faces Vote-a-Rama 'Hell'
Kamala Harris breaks tie, advances Biden's signature legislation
- A divided Senate voted Saturday to start debating Democrats’ election-year economic bill, boosting the sprawling collection of President Biden’s priorities on climate, energy, health, and taxes past its initial test as it starts moving through Congress, per the AP . In a preview of votes expected on a mountain of...
Rules Boss Cuts
Aug 6, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Rules Boss Cuts Bill's Penalties for Drugmakers
Senate parliamentarian keeps much of Democrats' economic package intact
- The Senate parliamentarian on Saturday dealt a blow to Democrats' plan for curbing drug prices but left the rest of their sprawling economic bill largely intact. Party leaders prepared for first votes on a package containing many of President Biden's top domestic goals, the AP reports. Elizabeth MacDonough, the...
Jul 31, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Sinema Won't Block GOP Changes to Climate Bill
Democrats, including Manchin, worry about winning Arizona senator's vote
- Sen. Joe Manchin isn't sure that his frequent fellow Democratic holdout, Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, will support the legislative agreement he struck with their majority leader last week, either. Sinema has made no promises, Axios reports, which has her party worried. Democrats need all of their 50 Senate votes to...
Jul 28, 2022 12:29 PM CDT
After Manchin Surprise, All Eyes on Sinema
Arizona senator is still mum on potential breakthrough for Democrats
- Joe Manchin stunned DC Wednesday by announcing that he had reversed himself and would back Democrats' sweeping spending plan after all. The surprise deal the West Virginia senator struck with Sen. Chuck Schumer has provided Democrats with their "best news" in weeks, notes Politico , because it means the party...
Jul 19, 2022 1:49 PM CDT
Democrats Could Boot Manchin. Here's Why They Won't
Ultimately, they still need him to make progress ahead of midterms
- Democrats are clearly frustrated with Sen. Joe Manchin, but any serious punishment for his failure to support climate and tax provisions in President Biden's Build Back Better bill seems unlikely, reports the Hill . Stripping the West Virginia senator of his chairmanship of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee...
Biden Fed Nominee Withdraws
After Manchin Says No
Mar 15, 2022 6:08 PM CDT
Biden Fed Nominee Withdraws After Manchin Says No
Biden says Sarah Bloom Raskin was 'subject to baseless attacks'
: Sarah Bloom Raskin has withdrawn from consideration for a key post on the Federal Reserve's board of governors, handing Sen. Joe Manchin another win. The Democrat joined all 50 Republicans in the Senate Monday in opposition to confirming Bloom at the Fed's top banking regulator. In a...
Biden's ICE Pick Caught Up
in Domestic Abuse Brouhaha
Mar 9, 2022 7:33 AM CST
Biden's ICE Pick Caught Up in Domestic Abuse Brouhaha
Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez and his wife both say the allegations are 'false'
- The Senate was expected to vote as soon as this week on President Biden's pick to lead the Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which has been without a Senate-confirmed director since 2017. That vote has now been delayed, however, following domestic violence allegations against the nominee. Senate Democrats withdrew a...
Manchin Sketches Smaller Bill
Mar 2, 2022 6:05 PM CST
Manchin Sketches Smaller Bill
Senate Democrats hesitate, but some want any parts of Biden's original plan they can get
- After listening to President Biden's State of the Union address Tuesday night, Sen. Joe Manchin outlined his own Build Back Better plan. It's much smaller than the president's proposal, but Manchin said his is a version he and other Democrats could back, the Hill reports. Many Senate...
Giant Swing in Polls Doesn't
Bode Well for Democrats
Jan 18, 2022 12:28 PM CST
Giant Swing in Polls Doesn't Bode Well for Democrats
Gallup puts GOP up 5 points in US support, a shift from trailing by 9
- The midterm elections could spell disaster for President Biden and the Democrats, if recent polling is any indication. A new Gallup poll shows an average of 47% of Americans surveyed in the fourth quarter of 2021 identified with or leaned toward the Republican Party compared to 42% for the Democratic...
Sinema Won't Give on Filibuster
Jan 13, 2022 3:34 PM CST
Sinema Won't Give on Filibuster
Biden's voting rights push runs into Arizona Democrat's opposition to altering the rule
- Before President Biden could arrive at the Capitol on Thursday to lobby Senate Democrats on changing the filibuster rule and passing voting rights legislation, one of them made clear she'd be no help. Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema delivered the news in a floor speech, the
New York Times
Dec 20, 2021 2:02 PM CST
Manchin: White House Did 'Inexcusable' Things
Senator blames Biden staffers for the new rift over spending plan
- Joe Manchin is firing back at the White House after a giant rift opened between them over the weekend . In an interview on West Virginia radio Monday, the Democratic senator spoke in broad terms about his decision to announce he could not support President Biden's Build Back Better plan:...
Dec 20, 2021 8:08 AM CST
Elon Musk Tweets His Estimated Tax Bill
He says he'll pay more than $11B this year, and business sites think that's about right
Elon Musk has been feuding with Elizabeth Warren and other critics who say he doesn't pay enough taxes. On Sunday night, Musk fought back with specifics: He tweeted that he will pay more than $11 billion this year, largely because he's sold a swath of his Tesla...
Democrat Is Retiring
Nov 15, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Senate's Longest-Serving Democrat Is Retiring
Vermont's Patrick Leahy won't run for re-election
- The longest-serving Democratic senator is calling it quits. Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont said Monday that he won't run for re-election next year, reports Politico . "It is time to pass the torch to the next Vermonter who will carry on this work for our great state," the...
Says What a Lot
Oct 26, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Joe Manchin Says What a Lot of Democrats Are Thinking
'I don't know where in the hell I belong'
- Joe Manchin might as well have "Democratic holdout" made part of his official title, and the West Virginia senator acknowledged his outlier status in two different forums:
"I'm totally out of sync with 48 other Democrats," Manchin told reporters at a dinner Monday night, per the
Oct 23, 2021 3:15 PM CDT
Sinema Wears Thin With Democrats
Arizona senator holds firm in opposing drug price plan, corporate tax increases
- Sen. Kyrsten Sinema's stances on two pieces of President Biden's domestic policy package are causing her fellow Democrats the most headaches: increasing corporate taxes and decreasing prescription drug prices. Both are longstanding priorities of the president's; the increase in the corporate tax is a big part of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
Polygamous Leader Had 'Wives' as Young as 9: FBI
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
Germany Uncovers Alleged Coup Plot Involving Aristocrat
Midshipmen Take Prank Tradition to New Heights
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.