Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Feds Say Fraudster Freed by
Trump Went Back to Old Ways
Jul 20, 2023 9:47 AM CDT
Feds Say Fraudster Freed by Trump Went Back to Old Ways
Eliyahu Weinstein scammed investors with bogus deal, federal prosecutors say
- A criminal freed by a pardon from former President Trump "picked up right where he left off" when he got out of prison in January 2021, federal prosecutors say. Eliyahu Weinstein, who was serving a 24-year-sentence in connection with two Ponzi schemes when Trump freed him, has been charged...
Her Mysterious Death Remains
So After Coroner's Report
May 27, 2023 2:55 PM CDT
Her Mysterious Death Remains So After Coroner's Report
Inquest determines that Australia's Melissa Caddick is dead, but can't determine how
- A coroner has put to rest one aspect of the perplexing case of an alleged fraudster named Melissa Caddick that has captivated people well beyond her homeland of Australia. "The conclusion I have reached is that Melissa Caddick is deceased," writes deputy New South Wales coroner Elizabeth Ryan,...
Feds Say Crypto Firm
Was $300M Ponzi Scheme
Aug 2, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
Feds Say Crypto Firm Was $300M Ponzi Scheme
Forsage's founders among 11 charged by SEC
- Cryptocurrency firm Forsage used technology undreamt of when Charles Ponzi was ripping off investors in the 1920s but regulators say the basic idea was the same: A scam in which investors promised big returns were paid off with money from later investors. The Securities and Exchange Commission has charged 11...
2 Men Indicted in $99M
'Wine-Based Ponzi Scheme'
Mar 2, 2022 2:44 PM CST
2 Men Indicted in $99M 'Wine-Based Ponzi Scheme'
They allegedly told investors fine wine would be used as collateral for loans
- Two British men told investors that they brokered loans for wealthy wine collectors using fine wines as collateral—but the collectors didn't exist, and neither did most of the wine, prosecutors in New York say. Stephen Burton and James Wellesley are accused of scamming investors out of almost $100...
Phony 'Hollywood Success
Story' Sentenced to 20 Years
Feb 15, 2022 11:21 AM CST
Phony 'Hollywood Success Story' Sentenced to 20 Years
Actor Zachary Horwitz, aka Zach Avery, hears his fate after bilking investors in $650M Ponzi scheme
A Hollywood actor accused of running a multimillion-dollar Ponzi scheme was sentenced Monday to 20 years behind bars in federal prison, reports CNN Business . Per a DOJ release , Zachary Horwitz (aka Zach Avery), 35, was ordered by Judge Mark C. Scarsi, of the US District Court for the Central...
Tinder Removes Man
Accused in Documentary
Feb 6, 2022 12:25 PM CST
Tinder Removes Man Accused in Documentary
'Elle' dives into the women featured in Netflix's 'The Tinder Swindler'
: No one can swipe right on Simon Leviev anymore, Tinder has decided. The subject of the Netflix documentary
The Tinder Swindler
has been taken off the platform, the
reports. You won't find him under "Shimon Hayut," either; Tinder said he's no longer active...
California Man Sentenced
in $1B Solar Ponzi Scheme
Nov 9, 2021 7:36 PM CST
California Man Sentenced in $1B Solar Ponzi Scheme
Jeff Carpoff gets 30 years
- The owner of a San Francisco Bay Area solar energy company was sentenced to 30 years in federal prison Tuesday for an audacious Ponzi scheme that defrauded investors of $1 billion. It's the biggest criminal fraud scheme in the history of the federal court district that covers inland Northern...
Radio Host Gets
3 Life Sentences
for Ponzi Scheme
Nov 3, 2021 8:38 AM CDT
Radio Host Gets 3 Life Sentences for Ponzi Scheme
William Neil Gallagher vowed to help people retire safe, did the opposite
- It turns out the "Money Doctor" didn't dispense much in the way of financial health. Texas radio host William Neil Gallagher—who went by that name and ran the Gallagher Financial Group—was on Monday sentenced to three life sentences for bilking 192 people out of at least...
D-List Actor Pleads Guilty
in $690M Ponzi Scheme
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 9, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
D-List Actor Pleads Guilty in $690M Ponzi Scheme
Zachary Horwitz faces 20 years for scheme that ensnared his college buddies
An actor accused in a $690 million Ponzi scheme will face up to 20 years in prison after pleading guilty to one count of securities fraud on Monday. Zachary Horwitz of 1inMM Capital allegedly used fake licensing agreements to fool investors, including his college buddies, into putting up money...
A Cryptocurrency CEO Died
at 30, Then Things Got Weirder
Jun 5, 2021 12:42 PM CDT
A Cryptocurrency CEO Died at 30, Then Things Got Weirder
QuadrigaCX had hundreds of millions of dollars—or did it?
- When Gerald Cotten was in high school, the Ontario teen was known to hustle to get his work done in class so that he could spend any free time getting around the school's firewalls to play online games. If that sounds like the origin story of a future internet...
The Shared Blame for Madoff
Apr 14, 2021 7:20 PM CDT
The Shared Blame for Madoff
Investors should've pushed more, but the SEC takes the cake, columnist writes
- "Everyone was greedy," Bernie Madoff once said. "I just went along." That's a little convenient, but then there's been a lot of revisionism since his scams were exposed. Plenty of people say they'd never have fallen for his offer of 12% annual returns,...
Bernie Madoff Dies
in Prison at Age 82
Apr 14, 2021 8:56 AM CDT
Bernie Madoff Dies in Prison at Age 82
Sources tell AP Ponzi schemer died of natural causes
- Bernie Madoff, the financier who pleaded guilty to orchestrating the largest Ponzi scheme in history, died in a federal prison early Wednesday, a person familiar with the matter told the AP . Madoff died at the Federal Medical Center in Butner, NC, apparently from natural causes, the person said. The person...
Largest Fraud Vermont Has
Ever Seen Started With a Peak
Dec 24, 2020 10:30 AM CST
Largest Fraud Vermont Has Ever Seen Started With a Peak
Things were rotten from the start of the 2008 purchase of Jay Peak
- Vermont's Jay Peak ski resort was for sale, and a Florida man wanted it—and got it. But as Dan D'Ambrosio and April McCullum of the
Burlington Free Press
describe in a lengthy three-part series, it would only be years later that authorities would determine Ariel Quiros only...
Fraud Suspect Attempts
Very Unusual Getaway
in case you missed it
Nov 21, 2020 3:40 PM CST
Fraud Suspect Attempts Very Unusual Getaway
California man didn't get far on his sea scooter
- A California man accused of scamming members of his local church in a $35 million Ponzi scheme attempted a daring getaway Monday with federal agents in hot pursuit. The FBI says 44-year-old Matthew Piercey fled in his pickup truck before entering Lake Shasta, the state's largest reservoir, and attempting...
Judge Won't Release Madoff
Jun 4, 2020 6:20 PM CDT
Judge Won't Release Madoff
Ponzi scheme victims are still suffering, ruling says
- Saying "many people are still suffering from" the crimes committed by Bernie Madoff, a federal judge refused Thursday to set the convict free. Madoff, 82, is serving a 150-year sentence, but his lawyers said he's dying of kidney disease and asked that he be released now, CNBC reports....
Apr 20, 2020 7:55 PM CDT
Madoff Victims to Receive Another Check
Senator opposes convict's request for early release
- Another $378.5 million is on its way to victims of Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme. The Justice Department said Monday that this will be the fifth round of payments, from a government fund of forfeited money, that altogether will total more than $4 billion, NBC reports. More than 38,...
Madoff Wants to Make
'Dying Plea' for Release
Mar 13, 2020 12:10 AM CDT
Madoff Wants to Make 'Dying Plea' for Release
Lawyer says fraudster wants to personally tell judge he is remorseful
- Bernie Madoff, who disclosed last month that he is dying of kidney disease , wants to make a "final dying, personal plea" for freedom, the fraudster's lawyer said Thursday in a request for a new hearing. Attorney Brandon Sample said it would be "eminently reasonable" to schedule a...
I Don't Have
Left to Live
Feb 5, 2020 7:10 PM CST
Bernie Madoff: I Don't Have Much Time Left to Live
The disgraced Ponzi schemer says he has kidney disease
- Epic Ponzi schemer Bernard Madoff asked a federal judge Wednesday to grant him a "compassionate release" from his 150-year prison sentence, saying he has terminal kidney failure and less than 18 months to live, the AP reports. Madoff's attorney filed court papers saying the 81-year-old has end-stage kidney...
Bernie Madoff Asks
Trump for Clemency
Jul 25, 2019 1:48 AM CDT
Bernie Madoff Asks Trump for Clemency
'The very definition of chutzpah'
- Bernie Madoff is now 10 years into his 150-year sentence for orchestrating a $65 billion Ponzi scheme—and the 81-year-old is looking for a way out. Justice Department records show that Madoff has petitioned President Trump to commute his sentence, and the request is listed as "pending," ABC...
Former Madoff Secretary Wants
Early Prison Release
Dec 24, 2018 3:15 PM CST
Former Madoff Secretary Wants Early Prison Release
Annette Bongiorno will have served two thirds of her six-year prison term by March 19
- A lawyer for the former secretary for imprisoned financier Bernard Madoff is asking that she be released from prison in March. Attorney Roland Riopelle says 70-year-old Annette Bongiorno will have served two thirds of her six-year prison term by March 19 and should be released then. He cited a law...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.