Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Scathing Ethics Report,
Santos Won't Seek Reelection
Nov 16, 2023 10:56 AM CST
After Scathing Ethics Report, Santos Won't Seek Reelection
House ethics panel finds 'substantial evidence' he broke federal laws
- George Santos says he won't be running for reelection to Congress in the wake of a devastating House Ethics panel report. Not that he's contrite: In a long post on X , Santos called the report a "disgusting politicized smear," per the
. Near the end...
This Is the Largest-Ever
US Seizure of Counterfeit Goods
Nov 16, 2023 2:30 AM CST
This Is the Largest-Ever US Seizure of Counterfeit Goods
New York authorities seize more than $1B in knock-off handbags, shoes, more
- Federal authorities in New York announced on Wednesday the largest-ever seizure of counterfeit goods, consisting of handbags, shoes, and other luxury merchandise valued at more than $1 billion, the AP reports. Two people were charged with trafficking the knock-offs from a New York City storage unit and other locations from...
Pilots Send Out an SOS:
'We Have a Horse in Difficulty'
Nov 15, 2023 9:20 AM CST
Pilots Send Out an SOS: 'We Have a Horse in Difficulty'
Plane bound for Belgium forced to return to JFK after equine passenger gets loose in cargo hold
- A flight from Belgium out of New York City took a wild turn last week after a horse managed to get out of its enclosure in the cargo hold, forcing the plane to turn back to the US. Jalopnik reports that Air Atlanta Icelandic Flight 4592 took off Thursday from...
Visitors Fret at
Slime in NYC
Nov 4, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Locals Shrug, Visitors Fret at Bright-Green Slime in NYC
Freon? Plumbers' dye? 'Ghostbusters' fuel? No one seems to know
- What is it? Where did it come from? Is it dangerous? Those are the three questions Insider posed Friday after a strange, neon-green slime oozed into lower Manhattan this week, worrying tourists even as locals walked right past it without much concern. "So there's literal green sludge bubbling...
Cornell Suspect's Parents Say
He Had 'Severe Depression'
Nov 2, 2023 11:46 AM CDT
Cornell Suspect's Parents Say He Had 'Severe Depression'
Patrick Dai, 21, has been arrested, accused of sending messages threatening to kill Jews
- A Cornell University student suspected of posting violent threats against Jewish people on an online forum has been arrested, charged, and held without bail. Patrick Dai of New York faces up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine if convicted of posting threats to kill or injure...
These Are the
Spookiest Cities in America
Oct 28, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
These Are the Spookiest Cities in America
New York ascends to the top of WalletHub's rankings for where Halloween is king
- Ready to get your ghoul on? Halloween is on Tuesday, and people across the nation are prepping their costumes, breaking out the candy bowls, and cueing up "Monster Mash" for when trick-or-treaters arrive. If you're wondering which places really know how to get into the spooky spirit, WalletHub...
Will Have to Testify
Oct 27, 2023 11:11 AM CDT
Ivanka Trump Will Have to Testify
Judge sides with NY prosecutors who argued former first daughter has relevant information
- Ivanka Trump will have to take the witness stand in the civil fraud case against her father, her brothers, and the family business, a judge ruled Friday, per the AP . The ruling came weeks into the trial of New York Attorney General Letitia James' lawsuit against former President Trump, sons...
Dems Tried, Now GOP Takes
a Swing at Booting Santos
Oct 27, 2023 8:47 AM CDT
Dems Tried, Now GOP Takes a Swing at Booting Santos
New York Republicans make good on threat to make a motion to expel freshman congressman
- Earlier this month, a group of House Republicans announced they'd seek to purge a fellow New York congressman from their ranks, with one calling Rep. George Santos "a stain on the institution." Now, they're making good on their plans. The Hill reports that on Thursday, Rep....
NYC Bank Vault
Oct 26, 2023 1:38 AM CDT
Man Gets Trapped Overnight in NYC Bank Vault
He was freed about 9 hours later when vault doors automatically reopened
- A man accessing his safe deposit box at a New York City bank Tuesday night ended up trapped in the bank's vault when the doors closed around 8:45pm; someone apparently closed them not realizing he was inside. The 23-year-old called 911 and firefighters tried to free him, but...
Oct 19, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Man Shoves Woman Onto NYC Subway Tracks
A suspect is still being sought in the incident, which left the woman in critical condition
- Another apparently random attack on a New York City subway platform left a 30-year-old woman in critical condition Wednesday. She was at the 53rd Street/Fifth Avenue station around noon when a man, who witnesses say was talking to himself, suddenly pushed her against a train that was leaving the station....
New York Law
on Gas Stoves
Oct 13, 2023 3:55 PM CDT
Lawsuit Contests New York Law on Gas Stoves
State legislation would prohibit using fossil-fuel equipment in new construction
- Gas and construction trade groups are suing to block New York's state ban on gas stoves and furnaces in new buildings. The organizations argue that the law violates the federal government's rules around how gas appliances are regulated, and they filed the case against New York on Thursday...
NYC Reassures Residents
Fearing Violence on Friday
Oct 12, 2023 7:25 PM CDT
NYC Reassures Residents Fearing Violence on Friday
There are no threats, governor says after protests shut Columbia University campus
- Although New York City officials said there are "no new specific threats" to the city, all police officers have been told to be in uniform on Friday in the event of protests over the Israel-Hamas war. Concern began when a former Hamas leader called for protests Friday in the...
'The Trump Show
Is Over,' Says NY AG
Oct 5, 2023 6:33 AM CDT
'The Trump Show Is Over,' Says NY AG
Former president departs fraud trial Wednesday after attack on Letitia James
- Former President Trump said he chose to attend his $250 million civil business fraud trial in New York this week to show "how corrupt it is." He also claimed Wednesday that "I'm stuck here because I have a corrupt attorney general," referring to Letitia James,...
Man Accused of
From His Plane
Oct 4, 2023 6:00 PM CDT
Man Accused of Stalking Woman From His Plane
New Hampshire man has been known to throw tomatoes from the windows, witnesses say
- A man has been accused of stalking a woman in New York via his small airplane, flying out of an airport in nearby Vermont, police said. Michael Arnold, 65, was scheduled to appear in court Wednesday in Bennington, Vermont. He was arrested Tuesday as he was driving into the William...
Got Ransom Note
After She Vanished
Oct 3, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
Charlotte Sena was found safe after she disappeared at New York campground
- Before Charlotte Sena was found safe two days after disappearing while bicycling at a New York campground, the 9-year-old girl's parents received a ransom note at their home, authorities say. Fingerprints found on the note, as well as cellphone pings from the area where Charlotte was last seen and...
Defiant Trump Arrives for Trial:
Americans Won't 'Stand for It'
Oct 2, 2023 10:19 AM CDT
Defiant Trump Arrives for Trial: Americans Won't 'Stand for It'
Former president is in New York City over lawsuit alleging business fraud
Updated with new details.
Donald Trump on Monday denounced the civil fraud case over his business practices as a politically motivated "scam" as he arrived defiantly in New York City for a trial in the lawsuit. "This is a continuation of the single greatest witch hunt of all...
Amid NYC Flooding,
Sea Lion Makes
a Break for It
Sep 30, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Amid NYC Flooding, Sea Lion Makes a Break for It
Creature was able to swim out of her enclosure as pool overflowed at Central Park Zoo
- The governor of New York and mayor of New York City urged everyone to stay home Friday amid chaotic flooding caused by heavy rains, but one party didn't get the message, or chose to ignore it. ABC News reports that a sea lion at the Central Park Zoo made...
NYC Local: 'Never Seen
Anything Like This in My Life'
Sep 29, 2023 1:20 PM CDT
NYC Local: 'Never Seen Anything Like This in My Life'
Gov. Hochul declares state of emergency in New York metropolitan area due to heavy rain, floods
- New York's governor has declared a state of emergency for the New York City area, as heavy rains brought flash floods Friday that were "shutting down entire subway lines, turning major roadways into lakes, and sending children to the upper floors of flooding schoolhouses," per the
Taylor Swift's NYC Apartment
Is Now Sophie Turner's Home
Sep 28, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
Taylor Swift's NYC Apartment Is Now Sophie Turner's Home
Singer has lent 'Game of Thrones' actor, 2 kids her Tribeca digs amid latter's split from Joe Jonas
- As the ugly Joe Jonas-Sophie Turner breakup wages on, a big name is helping Turner out on the living arrangements front. Page Six reports that Taylor Swift, who's been seen keeping the
Game of Thrones
actor company in the wake of her split with the Jonas Brothers singer, has...
This Is the Most
Diverse State in America
Sep 24, 2023 12:15 PM CDT
This Is the Most Diverse State in America
California ranks No. 1 on WalletHub's list; West Virginia is in last place
- If you're looking to set down roots in a true melting pot—in a place that WalletHub notes features "a complex tapestry of backgrounds"—there are some places in America that thrive when it comes to diversity. The site wanted to determine "where idea and identity...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Serial Killer's Wife Goes on Trial for Decades-Old Murders
Here's Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year for 2023
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.