Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
She Tore Down
Masks in Target,
in case you missed it
Aug 2, 2020 12:40 PM CDT
She Tore Down Masks in Target, Now Blasts 'Classless' Act
Melissa Rein Lively blames mental health struggles for July 4 incident in Scottsdale, Ariz.
- "This s---'s over!" Melissa Rein Lively ranted in a video posted last month, ripping face masks for coronavirus protection off their rack at an Arizona Target and throwing them on the floor. The self-recorded clip—in which Lively also shows off a Rolex watch she says is...
COVID Changing Big
Retailers' Holiday Plans
Jul 27, 2020 10:05 AM CDT
COVID Changing Big Retailers' Holiday Plans
Target joins Walmart in closing for Thanksgiving
- The coronavirus is already causing big retailers to modify their holiday shopping season. On Monday, Target said it would close its stores on Thanksgiving for the first time since 2011, reports
. The move comes after Walmart announced that it, too, would close on Thanksgiving, the first time that'...
Target Giving Every Single
Hourly Worker a Bonus
Jun 17, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Target Giving Every Single Hourly Worker a Bonus
And company is completing its plan to raise its minimum wage ahead of schedule
- For those of you wishing that 2020 would just end already—Target is at least bringing the end of 2020 to early July. The company on Wednesday announced that all workers would make a minimum of $15 an hour as of July 5. In 2017 it announced that it would...
to Wear Masks
Fight With Guards
May 11, 2020 5:30 PM CDT
Shoppers Told to Wear Masks Fight With Guards
Target employee's arm is broken in melee
- Two brothers who were told to leave a Target in California because they weren't wearing face masks started a fight with security guards instead. The men were being escorted out of the Van Nuys store by the employees on May 1 when the struggle began, the
Los Angeles Times
US Stores Cut
Hours, Close Doors
Mar 15, 2020 8:05 AM CDT
US Stores Cut Hours, Close Doors
Shortened hours give chains like Walmart time to restock, clean
- For those Americans whose answer to social distancing is to crowd their local grocery stores and frantically empty paper product aisles like there would never be Charmin to be squeezed again, well, those stores see you and they are reacting. Walmart is typical in its efforts, reports NPR , announcing this...
Target Ad About Black-Owned
Business Spurs 1-Star Reviews
Mar 6, 2020 10:04 AM CST
Target Ad About Black-Owned Business Spurs 1-Star Reviews
Honey Spot commercial for Target becomes flashpoint in conversation about race
- Another TV commercial is the subject of unintended controversy, but this one has nothing do with exercise bikes . Instead, the Target commercial features the African-American owner of the Honey Pot, which sells feminine hygiene products, as she talks about her business and its potential to inspire. Coverage:
Feb 8, 2020 7:30 AM CST
Baby Carriers Sold Through Amazon, Target Recalled
Buckle can break on Infantino product, meaning the baby can tumble out
- Baby carriers literally have one job—to carry babies—which is why a recall announced by the Consumer Product Safety Commission is particularly alarming.
reports that around 14,000 Infantino baby carriers made in China and sold at Target and through Amazon have been recalled because their buckles...
Man Dumped From Wheelchair
in Dispute Over Parking Space
Jan 31, 2020 11:25 AM CST
Man Dumped From Wheelchair in Dispute Over Parking Space
Philip Kinstler, who is paralyzed, says his wrist was broken
- A California man is facing charges of attempted kidnapping and assault after a Target customer was dumped out of his wheelchair. Philip Kinstler, who has used a wheelchair for 30 years, arrived at the Pleasant Hill store on Jan. 11 to find a vehicle parked in a disabled spot without...
On Cyber Monday, a 'Threat'
Has Emerged Against Amazon
Dec 2, 2019 8:25 AM CST
On Cyber Monday, a 'Threat' Has Emerged Against Amazon
Target, Walmart, other retailers could suck share on what's set to be biggest online shopping day yet
- Nearly 70 million Americans will be plopped in front of their computers or phones today, and not just because they're back to the grind after the long holiday weekend. It's Cyber Monday, an online extension of the Black Friday sales that have gone on for years, and Reuters...
Target Hit by Register Meltdown
Jun 16, 2019 5:31 AM CDT
Target Hit by Register Meltdown
'We can confirm that this was not a data breach or security-related issue'
- A glitch stalled checkout lines at Target stores worldwide Saturday, reports the AP , exasperating shoppers and eating into sales at a prime time for retailers, the day before Father's Day. The roughly two-hour outage periodically prevented Target's cashiers from scanning merchandise or processing transactions as long lines formed...
Bad News for Guy Who
Tried to Bomb Target
Oct 27, 2018 5:18 PM CDT
Bad News for Guy Who Tried to Bomb Target
Mark Charles Barnett gets 40 years in prison
- A Florida man who plotted to blow up Target stores along the East Coast has been sentenced to 40 years in federal prison, the AP reports. Authorities say Mark Charles Barnett of Ocala thought the explosions would cause the company's stock to plunge, allowing him to cheaply acquire shares....
He Made 10 Bombs, Picked
Wrong Person to Deliver Them
Oct 18, 2018 9:05 AM CDT
He Made 10 Bombs, Picked Wrong Person to Deliver Them
Mark Barnett handed 40 years in plot to hit Target stores
- A Florida man was handed a 40-year sentence after plotting to bomb 10 Target stores along the Eastern seaboard in a twisted investment scheme . Mark Charles Barnett expected Target's stock to fall in the aftermath of the planned bombing, which would allow him to buy shares cheaply in advance...
'Baby Daddy' Father's Day
Card Does Not Go Over Well
Jun 14, 2018 12:40 PM CDT
'Baby Daddy' Father's Day Card Does Not Go Over Well
American Greetings apologizes
- It's for occasions like this that American Greetings sells "I'm sorry" cards: The greeting card maker is apologizing after customers took issue with one of its Father's Day cards. The front shows the phrase "Baby Daddy" over an image of a black couple kissing, which...
Made Falsely Accused
Woman Expose Herself
Jun 5, 2018 6:35 PM CDT
Lawyer Says Target Workers Made Falsely Accused Woman Expose Herself
Black woman says she was falsely accused of stealing
- A lawyer for a black Detroit-area woman says Target employees falsely accused her of stealing a bikini and forced her to expose parts of her body, the AP reports. Attorney Jasmine Rand said Monday 20-year-old Ashanae Davis was shopping at a Target May 22 in Southfield. A security worker grabbed...
Target Gets More, Better
Applicants, Raises Pay Again
Mar 6, 2018 2:58 PM CST
Target Gets More, Better Applicants, Raises Pay Again
It saw a bigger, better pool of candidates after raising pay to $11 per hour, now will go to $12
- Target is raising its minimum starting pay for workers for the second time in less than a year after seeing a bigger and better pool of candidates, the AP reports. The Minneapolis retailer, which hiked starting pay to $11 an hour last fall, said all workers this spring will receive...
Well, the CD Had a
Good Run While It Lasted
Feb 7, 2018 4:54 PM CST
Well, the CD Had a Good Run While It Lasted
Best Buy, Target may hasten demise of 3-decade-old music format
- Bad news for the future of CDs (and, let's face it, probably the future of CD wallets, too).
reports two major CD retailers—Best Buy and Target—are reconsidering their relationship with the three-decade-old music format. Sources say Best Buy—which has gone from the "most powerful"...
This Game Is Known to Offend.
It May Have Gone Too Far
Dec 30, 2017 8:32 AM CST
This Game Is Known to Offend. It May Have Gone Too Far
Target pulling Cards Against Humanity's 'Chosen People Pack' off shelves for anti-Semitic content
- First Target had a problem with fidget spinners . Now it's taking heat for another item in its toy department, apologizing for a game that's designed to be offensive but looks to have crossed the line. TMZ reports the retailer is pulling an expansion pack for the popular game...
Target Won't Take
'Not Safe' Fidget
Spinners Off Shelves
Nov 9, 2017 9:25 AM CST
Target Won't Take 'Not Safe' Fidget Spinners Off Shelves
US PIRG report says the toys have high lead levels; Target says they're not kids' products
- A maker of one of the hottest products of the year has just found itself in a bucket of hot water. According to a consumer advocacy group, two fidget spinners supplied to Target by Iowa-based Bulls-i-Toy contain lead at up to 330 times the federal legal limit for toys. Inspired...
Black Friday Sales
to Watch Out For
Nov 8, 2017 11:28 AM CST
Black Friday Sales to Watch Out For
Including $99 laptops and a $190 PS4
- Retailers including Sears, Kmart, and Target are kicking off holiday sales early this year as a report finds more shoppers plan to spread out their purchases, reports
. Then there are those hoping to draw the Black Friday crowds. Though Nov. 24 is still weeks away, these retailers are...
Target Shaking Up
Black Friday Shopping
Nov 6, 2017 4:05 PM CST
Target Shaking Up Black Friday Shopping
No more 24-hour Black Friday shopping
- Target is offering shoppers a breather after holiday shopping on Thanksgiving, the AP reports. The Minneapolis-based discounter says it will open at 6pm on Thanksgiving and then close at midnight local time. Its stores will then reopen at 6am local time on Friday until 10pm, 11pm, or midnight local time....
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Boomers Throw a Wrench Into Housing Market
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Here's Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year for 2023
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.