Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Report: Cameron Crowe's New
Film to Profile a Music Icon
Mar 24, 2023 1:42 PM CDT
Report: Cameron Crowe's New Film to Profile a Music Icon
Director is said to be working on movie about singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell, per Above the Line
- When wunderkind Cameron Crowe first interviewed folk singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell in 1979 for
, he was barely out of his teens. In a 2000 reprint of that article, Crowe mentioned how it remained his favorite cover story for the magazine. Now, nearly 45 years later, the 65-year-old
Takes a Big,
Mar 2, 2023 11:54 AM CST
Joni Mitchell Takes a Big, Deep Bow
Iconic singer, 79, was awarded the Gershwin Prize for Popular Song on Wednesday
- Joni Mitchell is 79, a brain-aneurysm survivor, a cultural tour de force, and an American musical icon who got to take a bow among many of her contemporaries Wednesday night. The occasion was the awarding of the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song to Mitchell, which basically consisted...
Joni Mitchell Returns
Jul 26, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Joni Mitchell Returns
Singer performs a surprise first show in two decades
- The music world got a major surprise over the weekend when Joni Mitchell turned up at the Newport Folk Festival in Rhode Island and performed her first full public set since 2000, notes NPR . How'd she do? "Once again, Joni Mitchell gives us all a reason to live,...
Jan 29, 2022 8:45 AM CST
Spotify Loses Another Big Name Over 'Irresponsible People'
Singer Joni Mitchell joins Neil Young in pushing back against Joe Rogan podcast, COVID misinfo
- Spotify has agreed to remove Neil Young's songs from its music-streaming platform—at Young's request, in protest of Joe Rogan's podcast and other COVID misinformation—and now it's got another famous name following suit. On Friday, singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell announced she, too, would be yanking her...
Joni Mitchell Rediscovers
the Beauty in Her Earliest Work
Oct 27, 2020 6:07 PM CDT
Joni Mitchell Rediscovers the Beauty in Her Earliest Work
Singer collects largely unheard songs from the 1960s for a new box set
- Looking back at her earliest songs, Joni Mitchell has felt a little disconnected from them. "They’re like some ancient world," the singer-songwriter said in 2004. She didn't plan to ever release many of the tracks on her new box set,
Joni Mitchell Archives Vol 1: The
Jun 29, 2015 7:50 AM CDT
Joni Mitchell Expects 'Full Recovery' After Aneurysm
Conservator says singer 'is speaking, and she's speaking well'
- Joni Mitchell's friend and conservator is setting the record straight on the Canadian singer's condition after she was rushed to the hospital in March. Though singer David Crosby claimed Mitchell was "not speaking yet" in an interview with HuffPost Live on Friday, Leslie Morris approved a statement...
Joni Mitchell in Intensive Care
Apr 1, 2015 3:02 AM CDT
Joni Mitchell in Intensive Care
She was found unconscious at LA home
- Joni Mitchell was rushed to the hospital after being found unconscious at her Los Angeles home yesterday afternoon, TMZ reports. The singer-songwriter regained consciousness in the ambulance and "is currently in intensive care undergoing tests," according to official website jonimitchell.com , which urged fans to "Light a...
Nov 7, 2010 5:00 PM CST
11 Celebs Who Gave Babies Up for Adoption
Progeny from before they were rich and famous
- Sure, Angelina Jolie collects kids like baseball cards, but what about celebrities on the other side of the fence? In honor of National Adoption Month, Cafemom lists 11 who gave their kids up for adoption:
Cros and a girlfriend gave up their baby boy in the early '60s;
May 3, 2010 8:01 AM CDT
Bob Dylan's No Fake, Joni
Every artist steals, remakes others' work: Sean Willentz
- Sorry, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan's no more a phony than any other artist, historian Sean Wilentz writes for the Daily Beast . "The idea that Dylan is a faker, unless everything he wrote came out of his own imagination—word for word, note for note—is absurd," Wilentz writes....
Is a Fake
Apr 22, 2010 3:41 PM CDT
Joni Mitchell: Bob Dylan Is a Fake
She calls him a 'plagiarist' and 'not authentic'
- Safe to say that Joni Mitchell is not a big fan of Bob Dylan. In a long interview with the
Los Angeles Times
, she drops this bombshell on her fellow folk icon: "Bob is not authentic at all. He's a plagiarist, and his name and voice are fake. Everything...
'You're So Vain'
burning mystery dept
Feb 26, 2010 10:26 AM CST
Carly Simon's 'You're So Vain' Is About...
Singer may have finally ended decades-long mystery
- For 38 years, jilted lovers everywhere have been singing along to “You’re So Vain” and wondering exactly who is so vain—and they may finally have an answer. Speculation has long centered on Carly Simon’s famous exes, including Warren Beatty, Kris Kristofferson, Mick Jagger, Cat Stevens, or...
Sep 25, 2007 6:25 PM CDT
Joni Wows With
Mitchell’s first new work in a decade is ‘biting, sartorial and poetic’
- Joni Mitchell has dropped new material for the first time in 10 years, and
is wowing critics. It “isn’t a coffee table record,” raves AllMusic, in awarding it 4 of 5 stars; “it won’t attract record execs looking for a resurrection." That’s...
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
$100M Botticelli Found in Home
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.