Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
New Mega Cruise Ship No One
Wants Is Headed for Scrapyard
Jun 22, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
New Mega Cruise Ship No One Wants Is Headed for Scrapyard
Owner of unfinished Global Dream II files for bankruptcy, without a buyer for vessel
- The Global Dream II's maiden voyage will be one its builders probably didn't anticipate: from the shipyard to the scrapyard. Intended to be "one of the world's largest liners," the cruise ship was designed to transport 9,000 passengers and was nearing completion in a...
After 2 Years, CDC Drops
Cruise Travel Notice
Mar 30, 2022 12:16 PM CDT
After 2 Years, CDC Drops Cruise Travel Notice
'Travelers will make their own risk assessment,' agency says
- Less than four months after it urged Americans to avoid cruises , the CDC has dropped its public health notice warning of the risks of cruise travel. The notice was first issued two years ago amid coronavirus outbreaks on ships worldwide. The agency "is removing the COVID-19 Cruise Ship Travel...
When Creditor Comes Calling,
Cruise Ship Flees to Bahamas
Jan 24, 2022 6:10 AM CST
When Creditor Comes Calling, Cruise Ship Flees to Bahamas
One passenger says they felt like they were 'abducted by luxurious pirates'
- Passengers aboard the Crystal Symphony cruise ship were supposed to dock in Miami on Saturday. Instead, they ended up in the Bahamas after the US issued an arrest warrant for the ship, meaning it would be seized upon arrival, WSVN Miami reports. The ship, owned by Crystal Cruises, changed course...
Cruise Cancels at Sea,
Jan 15, 2022 5:35 PM CST
Cruise Cancels at Sea, Stranding Passengers
Norwegian Gem was nearly halfway through its itinerary when COVID issues hit
- Four days into a 10-day cruise, the trip was canceled because of COVID issues. That leaves the passengers who left New York on Sunday floating, stranded at sea,
reports. Any hopes Aimee Focaraccio, who spent the day in St. Maarten, had for an early return were dashed by...
CDC: Don't Take
a Cruise Right Now
Jan 8, 2022 6:30 AM CST
CDC: Don't Take a Cruise Right Now
Royal Caribbean, Norwegian cancel sailings among new COVID surge
- If you've got tickets for an upcoming cruise, better check with your cruise line. This week, two major operators canceled near-future sailings amid the latest COVID surge, starting with Norwegian on Wednesday, reports
. "Our first priority is the health and safety of our guests, crew, and...
Teen Dies After Falling
Overboard on Cruise Ship
Dec 27, 2021 9:03 AM CST
Teen Dies After Falling Overboard on Cruise Ship
Incident happened as MSC Seashore was returning to Miami
- Tragedy about a cruise ship returning to Miami: A 15-year-old boy fell overboard to his death aboard a ship from MSC Cruises on Wednesday evening, reports Fox35 Orlando . The unidentified teen fell from the 16th deck of the MSC Seashore, according to a post at Crew Center . The ship sounded...
Third Florida-Based Cruise
Sees COVID Outbreak
Dec 26, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Third Florida-Based Cruise Sees COVID Outbreak
Carnival Freedom denied entry to Aruba and Bonaire
- For the third time in recent days, a COVID outbreak has been reported on a cruise ship that set sail from Florida, where health officials have reported the highest cases in a single day since the start of the pandemic in 2020. Per CNN , the Carnival Freedom was denied entry...
COVID Outbreak on Cruise Ship:
'They Were So Overwhelmed'
Dec 20, 2021 11:35 AM CST
COVID Outbreak on Cruise Ship: 'They Were So Overwhelmed'
4 dozen passengers, crew on Royal Caribbean's Symphony of the Seas tested positive
- About four dozen passengers and crew on a Dec. 11 sailing on Royal Caribbean's Symphony of the Seas tested positive for COVID before the ship made it back to Miami on Saturday, the cruise line announced.
reports the number as 44 infected, while NBC Miami puts it...
Woman Falls From Carnival
Cruise Ship Into Pacific
Dec 12, 2021 3:45 PM CST
Woman Falls From Carnival Cruise Ship Into Pacific
Officials say the woman in her 20s fell from her balcony
- The U.S. Coast Guard has stopped looking for a woman who reportedly fell from a cruise ship into the Pacific Ocean near Ensenada, Mexico. Authorities searched for 31 hours, but decided Sunday morning to pause the operation until they have additional information, Petty Officer First Class Adam Stanton told...
Cruise Ship With Infected
in New Orleans
Dec 6, 2021 12:33 AM CST
Cruise Ship With Infected Passengers Docks in New Orleans
At least 17 people on board tested positive for COVID
- A Norwegian Cruise Line ship with at least 17 passengers and crew members infected with COVID-19 docked Sunday in New Orleans, where health officials said they were trying to disembark people without worsening the spread of the coronavirus illness, the AP reports. Local news outlets in New Orleans confirmed the...
Royal Caribbean Wants You
to Come Aboard for 274 Nights
Oct 20, 2021 3:28 PM CDT
Royal Caribbean Wants You to Come Aboard for 274 Nights
Its world cruise will hit all 7 continents
- They're dubbing it the "Ultimate World Cruise," and it's easy to see why: Royal Caribbean International on Wednesday announced that in late 2023 its Serenade of the Seas ship will set off on a 274-night voyage that will hit more than 150 destinations in 65 countries...
They Bought a Cruise Ship and
Planned a Utopia. It Didn't Work
Sep 12, 2021 2:35 PM CDT
They Bought a Cruise Ship and Planned a Utopia. It Didn't Work
Inside the short life of the cruise ship Satoshi
- To understand why three men bought themselves a cruise ship last fall, you need to know a little bit about "seasteading." It's the idea of moving to the sea, where, unbound by the land and the governments and regulations tied to it, people could experiment with new...
Woman Tests Positive
for COVID on Cruise,
Dies Days Later
Aug 24, 2021 1:06 AM CDT
Woman Tests Positive for COVID on Cruise, Dies Days Later
Carnival says the 77-year-old 'almost certainly' didn't get COVID on the ship
- Marilyn Tackett was excited to go on her first trip outside the US when she boarded the Carnival Vista cruise ship before it disembarked from Texas on July 31, according to a GoFundMe set up for the 77-year-old Oklahoma woman's family. She went on an excursion with her family...
By Air or by Sea, a Vax to
Travel in Canada You'll Need
Aug 14, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
By Air or by Sea, a Vax to Travel in Canada You'll Need
Nation announces air travelers, cruise ship passengers will soon need the jab
- Canada opened its doors to fully vaccinated Americans on Monday, causing cars to back up at the border for hours. On Friday, Transport Minister Omar Alghabra made a new travel-related announcement: By sometime this autumn, air travelers, cruise ship passengers, and those taking the train from province to province in...
Carnival Cruise Reports
COVID Cases on Ship
Aug 5, 2021 2:10 PM CDT
Carnival Cruise Reports COVID Cases on Ship
Line is tightening its policies as a result
- The COVID pandemic closed down the cruise industry for months. Carnival says the shutdown cost them billions . When the cruise line started sailing again this summer , things were smooth for a while. But some positive coronavirus tests are changing things, and the mask policy is changing on Saturday. A ship...
Lethal Coral Disease
Linked to Cruise Ships
Jul 22, 2021 2:37 PM CDT
Lethal Coral Disease Linked to Cruise Ships
Study suggests wastewater from ships is responsible for SCTLD
- A dangerous new threat to coral reefs might be the fault of cruise ships. A peer-reviewed study suggests ships that improperly dispose of wastewater are causing outbreaks of an unusually lethal and fast-spreading disease known as stony coral tissue loss disease, reports the
. SCTLD first turned up in Florida...
Man Who Killed Wife on Cruise
Dies Weeks After Sentencing
Jul 19, 2021 1:50 PM CDT
Man Who Killed Wife on Cruise Dies Weeks After Sentencing
Kenneth Manzanares was found unresponsive in cell
- A Utah man who murdered his wife on an anniversary cruise four years ago has died in prison six weeks after he was sentenced to 30 years for the crime. The Alaska Department of Corrections says 43-year-old Kenneth Manzanares was found unresponsive in his cell in a correctional facility in...
World Cruise With $73K Base
Fare Sells Out in 3 Hours
Jul 18, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
World Cruise With $73K Base Fare Sells Out in 3 Hours
Fares on the Regent Seven Seas cruise go as high as nearly $200K
- A four month cruise went on sale last week and sold out within three hours despite the pandemic havoc (and continued uncertainty ) wreaked upon the industry as a whole. Don't feel left out, though—you probably couldn't have afforded a ticket, anyway. With a base fare of...
Vax Fight Between Cruise
Line, Florida Heats Up
Jul 14, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
Vax Fight Between Cruise Line, Florida Heats Up
Norwegian wants 100% of crew, passengers vaxxed, sues Fla., which says that's discrimination
- The cruise industry is taking shaky steps back into the water, and Norwegian Cruise Line just made a move it hopes will help keep its business safe and afloat. On Tuesday, the company sued Scott Rivkees, the surgeon general of Florida, over the state's ban against businesses asking for...
After UNESCO Warning,
a Big Move in Venice
Jul 14, 2021 7:23 AM CDT
After UNESCO Warning, a Big Move in Venice
Cruise ships, other large vessels will no longer be permitted to sail into city's lagoon
- Giant cruise ships filled with tourists will no longer float past St. Mark's Square, or Piazza San Marco, in Venice after Italy put the kibosh on the longtime practice to protect the lagoon in which the city sits. Starting Aug. 1, cruise liners or other large ships, including yachts,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Miner's Surprise Find: 'She's Perfect and She's Beautiful'
Conservatives Skeptical of Thomas' New Challenge
20 Dead in S. African Nightclub, and Police Don't Know Cause
World Leaders Now Going After Russia's 2nd-Largest Export
Lawmaker Makes Gaffe Praising Abortion Decision
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.