Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ex-CIA Officer Guilty of
Abusing Dozens of Women
Nov 7, 2023 7:14 PM CST
Ex-CIA Officer Guilty of Abusing Dozens of Women
'Experienced predator' Brian Jeffrey Raymond faces up to 30 years in prison under plea deal
- A former CIA officer accused of drugging and sexually assaulting at least two dozen women during various overseas postings pleaded guilty Tuesday to federal sex abuse charges. Brian Jeffrey Raymond kept nearly 500 videos and photographs he took of naked, unconscious women, including many in which he can be seen...
With an Eye on China,
US Opens Embassy
Feb 1, 2023 5:15 PM CST
With an Eye on China, US Opens Embassy
Solomon Islands post had been shut down in 1993
- The US opened an embassy in the Solomon Islands on Thursday in its latest move to counter China's push into the Pacific. The embassy is starting small, with a chargé d'affaires, a couple of State Department staff members and a handful of local employees. The US previously operated...
US Embassy to Americans
in Russia: Get Out Now
Sep 28, 2022 8:37 AM CDT
US Embassy to Americans in Russia: Get Out Now
Security alert warns that dual nationals could be conscripted
- The US Embassy in Moscow issued a security alert for US citizens in Russia on Wednesday, and the Daily Beast sums up the gist in two words: "Get out." The alert references Vladimir Putin's week-old decision to move ahead with a partial military mobilization of reservists against...
US Suspends Operations
at Belarus Embassy
Feb 28, 2022 12:17 PM CST
US Suspends Operations at Belarus Embassy
Nonessential staff at the Moscow embassy are leaving Russia
- The State Department has closed the US embassy in Belarus and is allowing nonessential staff at the US Embassy in Russia to leave the country because of the war in Ukraine. Secretary of State Antony Blinken announced the suspension of operations at the Minsk embassy and the authorized departure from...
US to Empty Embassy
in Ukrainian Capital
Feb 12, 2022 8:15 AM CST
US to Empty Embassy in Ukrainian Capital
Announcement comes ahead of Biden-Putin call as tensions sharply rise on possible Ukraine invasion
- Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Joe Biden are to hold a high-stakes telephone call on Saturday as tensions over a possibility imminent invasion of Ukraine escalated sharply and the US announced plans to evacuate its embassy in the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv. Before talking to Biden, Putin is...
Havana Syndrome Cases Hit
Ahead of Blinken's Visit
Oct 13, 2021 9:09 AM CDT
Havana Syndrome Cases Hit Ahead of Blinken's Visit
Ailments surface in Colombia
- US officials are investigating suspected cases of Havana syndrome at the US embassy in Colombia, where Secretary of State Antony Blinken is to travel next week, days after similar reports surfaced at the US embassy in Germany. Emails from US Ambassador to Colombia Philip Goldberg describe a number of "...
Dozens of US Diplomats Fell Ill.
Then, an 'Extraordinary Step'
Jul 2, 2020 9:20 AM CDT
Dozens of US Diplomats Fell Ill. Then, an 'Extraordinary Step'
Officials at embassy in Riyadh contacted Congress when State Department failed to respond: 'NYT'
- Diplomats in the midst of a coronavirus outbreak inside the US Embassy in Saudi Arabia went outside official channels to reach out to Congress last month, fearing their health was in jeopardy. Dozens had fallen ill following a birthday barbecue, and a Sudanese driver for the diplomats had died, the...
Federal Site Just Got Hacked
Jan 5, 2020 5:00 PM CST
Federal Site Just Got Hacked
The hackers claim to be Iranian, but the US won't confirm
- Looks like Iran has struck back—online, at least. As the world awaits the country's military response to the killing of Gen. Qasem Soleimani, images of an Iranian flag and President Trump getting punched in the face appeared Sunday on a US federal website. "Hacked By Iran Cyber...
After Attack on US Embassy,
a Tweet From Trump
Dec 31, 2019 6:51 AM CST
After Attack on US Embassy, a Tweet From Trump
Mob smashes door, sets fire to reception area in Baghdad
- Dozens of angry Iraqi Shiite militia supporters broke into the US Embassy compound in Baghdad on Tuesday after smashing a main door and setting fire to a reception area, prompting tear gas and sounds of gunfire. An AP reporter at the scene saw flames rising from inside the compound and...
Leader of US Embassy
Attack: Sorry About That
Nov 2, 2019 12:15 PM CDT
Leader of US Embassy Attack: Sorry About That
Ebrahim Asgharzadeh regrets attack in Iran in 1979
- His revolutionary fervor diminished by the years that have also turned his dark brown hair white, one of the Iranian student leaders of the 1979 US Embassy takeover says he now regrets the seizure of the diplomatic compound and the 444-day hostage crisis that followed. Speaking to the AP ahead...
VP on Pride
Flag at Embassies:
Jun 11, 2019 10:40 AM CDT
VP on Pride Flag at Embassies: 'One American Flag Flies'
Mike Pence says keeping pride flag off of embassy flagpoles is 'right'
- Mike Pence has no issue with the Trump administration's decision to keep pride flags off flagpoles at US embassies during Pride Month. "We're proud to be able to serve every American," but "when it comes to the American flagpole, and American embassies, and capitals around...
US Embassies Denied
by the Trump Administration
Jun 8, 2019 3:00 PM CDT
US Embassies Denied by the Trump Administration
Longstanding policy of flying rainbow flag in June is scuttled
- US embassies wanting to fly rainbow flags have received a stark rebuke from the Trump administration, NBC News reports. Embassies in Latvia, Brazil, Israel, Germany, and other nations sought permission to fly the pride flag in June—LGBTQ Pride Month—and were denied by the State Department, diplomats say. That...
US Tells Non-Essential
Embassy Staff to Leave Iraq
May 15, 2019 6:41 AM CDT
US Tells Non-Essential Embassy Staff to Leave Iraq
Iranian leader issues veiled threat
- The US Embassy in Iraq says the State Department has ordered all non-essential, non-emergency government staff to leave the country right away amid escalating tensions with Iran. The security alert , published on the embassy's website on Wednesday, comes after Washington last week said it had detected new and urgent...
US Pulling Last
of Embassy Staff
Mar 12, 2019 12:55 AM CDT
US Pulling Last of Embassy Staff From Caracas
Pompeo slams Cuba, Russia for Maduro support
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says the United States is withdrawing the last of its staff from its embassy in Venezuela, citing the deteriorating situation. Pompeo announced the decision late Monday as Venezuela struggled to restore electricity following four days of blackouts around the country and a deepening political crisis,...
She Was Kidnapped and Killed.
Her Dad Can't Get Funeral Visa
Dec 7, 2018 7:14 AM CST
She Was Kidnapped and Killed. Her Dad Can't Get Funeral Visa
NC Gov. Roy Cooper hopes authorities will reconsider
- The father of a North Carolina teen who was abducted from outside her Lumberton home on Nov. 5 and whose body was found after a three-week search has been blocked from attending her Saturday funeral. Noé Aguilar—the Guatemalan father of 13-year-old Hania Aguilar—was immediately denied a temporary visa...
After 28 Years, American
Diplomacy Returns to Somalia
Dec 5, 2018 12:21 AM CST
After 28 Years, American Diplomacy Returns to Somalia
Embassy in Mogadishu was evacuated during civil war
- In a sign of how much the security situation in Somalia's capital has improved, the US has established a permanent diplomatic presence there for the first time in almost 28 years. In a sign of how dangerous Mogadishu remains, many staffers will remain at the US diplomatic mission to...
Ignore That Cookie Monster
Cat Email From State Dept.
Oct 15, 2018 8:35 AM CDT
Ignore That Cookie Monster Cat Email From State Dept.
US Embassy in Australia blames 'training error' for odd email blast
- The US hasn't had an ambassador to Australia in place for two years, the longest stretch since WWII—which may explain why things are getting low-key chaotic Down Under at the American embassy. The BBC reports that an apology has been issued after a "training error" resulted in...
Scientist Floats Simpler Theory
on Cuban Mystery Ailments
Sep 7, 2018 8:55 AM CDT
Scientist Floats Simpler Theory on Cuban Mystery Ailments
Penn prof says cause may have been inadvertent emissions from ultrasound 'spytech'
- Microwave weapons? That's the latest theory being floated to explain the mysterious ailments suffered by staffers at the American embassy in Cuba. But now a pioneering scientist in that field thinks the idea—based on a principle called the microwave auditory effect—is bogus. Kenneth Foster is a professor...
at US Embassy
Aug 20, 2018 12:00 AM CDT
Shots Fired at US Embassy in Turkey
Officials say nobody was hurt in Ankara attack
- Unknown attackers fired shots at a security booth outside the US Embassy in Turkey's capital early Monday, but US officials said no one was hurt. The Ankara governor's office said six shots were fired from a moving white car toward the embassy compound at 5:30am, the AP...
Russian Spy Likely Worked
at US Embassy Over 10 Years
Aug 2, 2018 6:30 PM CDT
Russian Spy Likely Worked at US Embassy Over 10 Years
The woman was reportedly having regular meetings with Russian intelligence
- Reports have emerged that a Russian spy worked at the US embassy in Russia for over a decade before her regular meetings with the country's intelligence agency were uncovered during a security sweep. Per the
, the woman had access to the Secret Service's files and emails and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.