Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
He Saw the Speeding Car. He
Knew His SUV Could Stop It
in case you missed it
Nov 17, 2019 10:15 AM CST
He Saw the Speeding Car. He Knew His SUV Could Stop It
Erick Marciano hailed as a hero for saving pedestrians during police chase in Montreal
- A quick-thinking dad of three is being called a hero after throwing his Mercedes SUV in the path of a speeding car. The CBC and
report Erick Marciano, 48, was on his way to a meeting Tuesday shortly after noon when he saw a Honda speed through a...
Quebec Tells French Woman
She Failed to Prove Ability
to Speak French
Nov 8, 2019 3:01 AM CST
Quebec Tells French Woman She Failed to Prove Ability to Speak French
One chapter of her thesis was in English
- Are Quebec's French-language requirements for immigrants too strict? The answer is "oui," according to a French woman whose application was denied because authorities decided she hadn't shown enough proficiency in her native language. Biology graduate Emile Dubois says her application to settle in the Canadian province...
Lawsuit: Fortnite Designed
to Be as Addictive as Cocaine
Oct 8, 2019 12:11 PM CDT
Lawsuit: Fortnite Designed to Be as Addictive as Cocaine
Could become class-action suit in Canada
- The maker of the wildly popular video game Fortnite is facing a new lawsuit that has nothing to do with dance moves . Addiction to the third-person shooter game "has real consequences on the lives of players, many of whom … do not eat, do not shower, and no longer...
'I Don't Know
How a Person
Can Survive a
Fall Like That'
Aug 15, 2019 11:50 AM CDT
'I Don't Know How a Person Can Survive a Fall Like That'
Skydiver hurt but expected to live after chute doesn't open during 5,000-foot plummet
- She fell nearly 5,000 feet to the ground from a plane during a skydiving jump after her parachute failed to open, but by some "miracle," a 30-year-old woman in Canada is still alive, with non-life-threatening injuries. "I don't know how a person can survive a...
With No Training, Woman
Worked as a Nurse for 20 Years
May 31, 2019 5:01 PM CDT
With No Training, Woman Worked as a Nurse for 20 Years
Fired employee used license number of someone with the same name
- A woman who had no training or certification worked as a nurse for 20 years before being caught and fired, Quebec's Order of Nurses says. She worked in several different departments in a hospital in Jonquière, Quebec, including surgery, the CBC reports, using the license number of another...
She Opened a Book,
Became $750K Richer
Apr 5, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
She Opened a Book, Became $750K Richer
Montreal couple claims lottery prize with 2 days to deadline
- With just 48 hours left to claim their prize, Nicole Pedneault and Roger Larocque found a winning lottery ticket buried in a book. The Montreal couple wasted no time and are now $750,000 richer, reports CTV News . They'd bought the Loto-Quebec ticket last year for Valentine's Day...
Netflix Apologizes, Will Ditch
Disaster Footage in Movie
Mar 15, 2019 11:17 AM CDT
Netflix Apologizes, Will Ditch Disaster Footage in Movie
Company reverses its decision to use actual Canadian rail explosion in 'Bird Box'
- Netflix has changed its tune two months after refusing to remove footage of a 2013 rail disaster from its hit film
. "We're sorry for any pain caused to the Lac-Mégantic community" of Quebec, the company says in a statement to the BBC . The clip from...
We're Not Pulling It
Jan 18, 2019 9:21 AM CST
Footage: We're Not Pulling It
Company used clip from real train disaster in Quebec that killed 47
- Netflix says it will review its practices on stock footage after a controversy involving its newest horror film, but it's not planning to completely bend on what caused the original controversy. The company recently came under fire for using clips from a 2013 rail disaster in Lac-Megantic, Quebec—an...
He Almost Killed Her.
Now They're Teaming Up
Jan 15, 2019 10:45 AM CST
He Almost Killed Her. Now They're Teaming Up
Tina Adams, impaired driver to speak together at Canadian schools
- Tina Adams will never realize her dream of becoming a police officer, and she might never be able to have children. Such are the consequences of the moment a drunk driver swerved off a road and struck the Quebec jogger in June 2015. Adams, now 24, suffered a traumatic brain...
Unhappy Dad Sues
McDonald's Over Happy Meals
Nov 20, 2018 9:05 AM CST
Unhappy Dad Sues McDonald's Over Happy Meals
Father's complaint on toys cites Quebec law against marketing to kids under 13
- Antonio Bramante doesn't see the "happy" in one of McDonald's most famous offerings. The Canadian dad of three says he's cajoled every couple of weeks to take his little ones to McDonald's, and he figures he's forked over hundreds of dollars on Happy Meals....
She Snored So Loudly Her
Landlords Told Her to Get Help
Sep 27, 2018 9:45 AM CDT
She Snored So Loudly Her Landlords Told Her to Get Help
Now the Quebec woman's harassment complaint has been rejected
- A Quebec woman's loud snoring has become national news in Canada. It seems the unidentified woman snored so loudly, and so regularly, that her downstairs neighbors told the landlord they couldn't take it anymore, reports the BBC . The landlords didn't just pass along the complaint—they showed...
Teen Wins Lottery on
First Day as an Adult
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 1, 2018 6:00 PM CDT
Teen Wins Lottery on First Day as an Adult
Quebec teen will get weekly payment for life
- A Canadian teenager managed to set herself up financially for life on her first day as an adult. Charlie Lagarde celebrated her 18th birthday earlier this month by buying a lottery ticket and a bottle of champagne, which 18-year-olds can legally purchase in Quebec, and ended up winning the jackpot...
Doctors Plead for Pay Raises
to Stop Before It's Too Late
Mar 10, 2018 11:50 AM CST
Doctors Plead for Pay Raises to Stop Before It's Too Late
Hard-working nurses deserve it more, they say
- Many doctors in Quebec are upset about pay raises—that is, about having them at all. With nurses complaining about their workload, nearly 740 doctors, medical students, and residents in the Canadian province are petitioning to reject pay raises and have the money given to nurses, the
New York Times
Not Say 'Hi'
Dec 6, 2017 9:15 AM CST
'Absurd' Motion Asks Quebec Shopkeepers to Not Say 'Hi'
Resolution requesting use of 'bonjour' instead of English greeting passed 111-0
- Quebec is all about preserving its French heritage. Unlike other provinces of Canada—which recognizes English and French as its official languages—Quebec has a watchdog agency dedicated to that goal, as well as strict laws making French the sole language of government, commerce, the judiciary, and the dominant language...
'Incredible' Ice Age
Cave Network Found
Dec 5, 2017 10:37 AM CST
'Incredible' Ice Age Cave Network Found Below Montreal
It stretches the length of 2 football fields
- At the end of the last ice age, glaciers rapidly receded across Canada, putting so much pressure on the land below that solid rock split apart. Perhaps nowhere is that more evident than a newly discovered cave system some 20 feet below Montreal, Quebec. Suspecting that a cave beneath a...
Judge: Teen Maybe 'Flattered'
by Cabbie Who Assaulted Her
Oct 27, 2017 7:20 AM CDT
Judge: Teen Maybe 'Flattered' by Cabbie Who Assaulted Her
Jean-Paul Braun also labeled 17-year-old victim 'a little overweight' but with a 'pretty face'
- Taxi driver Carlo Figaro was found guilty of sexual assault in a Quebec court earlier this year, but not before the judge in his case made some questionable comments about the 17-year-old victim. The BBC reports a complaint has been filed by a provincial minister against Judge Jean-Paul Braun. Per...
1st 'Burka Ban'
Oct 18, 2017 6:51 PM CDT
Quebec Passes North America's 1st 'Burka Ban'
'It will just block me from the rest of the world,' says 21-year-old niqab-wearer
- North America appears to have its first "burka ban," the
reports. Quebec's National Assembly passed Bill 62 on Wednesday, and while the law banning facial coverings doesn't specifically mention burqas or niqabs, those have certainly been the main point of debate, according to Reuters . CBC...
Canadian Bike Cops Nab One
of America's Most Wanted
Aug 29, 2017 10:37 AM CDT
Canadian Bike Cops Nab One of America's Most Wanted
Katay-Khaophone Sychanta may face extradition to US
- Montreal police have just earned a heap of respect for bicycle cops everywhere. Two cycling police officers were patrolling a Montreal bike path last Wednesday when they spotted two men they suspected of having drugs, police say. The suspects took off running and the officers pursued, one eventually jumping off...
Paramedic's Mom Died
in His Arms. He Can't
Get Workers' Comp
Jul 12, 2017 9:16 AM CDT
Paramedic's Mom Died in His Arms. He Can't Get Workers' Comp
Quebec's Olivier Mireault was on a work call—but he responded before shift started
- In November, Quebec paramedic Olivier Mireault responded to a call at his mom's house. The 63-year-old ended up dying in her son's arms of an aortic aneurysm rupture after he couldn't revive her. "I said, 'This can't be real. Someone wake me up,'...
Cops Claim Jiu-Jitsu
Is Illegal, Threaten to
Arrest Kids in Canada
Feb 28, 2017 5:24 PM CST
Cops Claim Jiu-Jitsu Is Illegal, Threaten to Arrest Kids in Canada
Tournament postponed after police cite Criminal Code
- For almost a decade, the annual Canadian championship in Brazilian jiu-jitsu has gone off without a hitch. That changed this past weekend when officials called off the event at the last minute upon discovering that it was illegal in the eyes of police. In a Facebook post on Saturday, a...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.