Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
In Swift Trial, Celebrity Chef
Mario Batali Found Not Guilty
May 10, 2022 2:07 PM CDT
In Swift Trial, Celebrity Chef Mario Batali Found Not Guilty
He was acquitted of of indecent assault and battery
- Mario Batali was found not guilty of indecent assault and battery on Tuesday, following a swift trial in which the celebrity chef waived his right to have a jury decide his fate. Batali, who pleaded not guilty to indecent assault and battery in 2019, had faced up to 2 1/2...
Batali's Sex Misconduct Trial
Starts, With One Decision Made
May 9, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
Batali's Sex Misconduct Trial Starts, With One Decision Made
Celebrity chef opts for judge to decide his fate, not a jury
- Celebrity chef Mario Batali has waived his right to a jury trial and is opting to have a judge decide his fate in his sexual misconduct trial in Boston. Batali confirmed the decision to Boston Municipal Court Justice James Stanton as the trial opened Monday morning, per the AP . In...
Will Go on
Trial in April
Nov 3, 2021 11:17 AM CDT
Mario Batali Will Go on Trial in April
Celebrity chef pleaded not guilty to allegation he forcibly kissed, groped woman at eatery in 2017
Celebrity chef Mario Batali's trial on a sexual misconduct charge in Boston has been set for April 11, Suffolk County District Attorney Rachael Rollins' office said Tuesday after a hearing. Batali pleaded not guilty to indecent assault and battery on allegations that he forcibly kissed and groped a...
Celebrity Chef to Be Charged
Over Alleged Groping
May 23, 2019 12:39 AM CDT
Celebrity Chef to Be Charged Over Alleged Groping
Mario Batali denies the accusation
- Celebrity chef Mario Batali is facing a criminal charge on allegations that he forcibly kissed and groped a woman at a Boston restaurant in 2017. Batali, who recently gave up financial stakes in all his restaurants , is scheduled to be arraigned Friday on a charge of indecent assault and battery,...
Gives Up All
Mar 6, 2019 4:51 PM CST
Mario Batali Gives Up All His Restaurants
Celebrity chef has been accused of sexual harassment
- More than a year after several women accused Mario Batali of sexual harassment and assault, the celebrity chef has been kicked out of his restaurants. The Bastianich family, with whom Batali had partnered for two decades, and his other partners bought Batali out for an undisclosed amount, the
NYPD Closed Sex Misconduct
Cases Against Batali: Sources
Jan 9, 2019 4:33 AM CST
NYPD Closed Sex Misconduct Cases Against Batali: Sources
But they could be reopened if more evidence pops up against celebrity chef
- New York City cops reportedly have dropped their investigation of Mario Batali, at least for the time being. A law enforcement official told CNN on Tuesday that the NYPD no longer has any open sexual-assault investigations against the 58-year-old celebrity chef, though there are varying reports on how many there...
Mario Batali Accused of
Drugging, Assaulting Woman
May 21, 2018 4:30 AM CDT
Mario Batali Accused of Drugging, Assaulting Woman
She said she blacked out after dining with celebrity chief
- Justice may be served to a celebrity chef accused of sexual misconduct: Mario Batali, who stepped away from his restaurant empire last year amid allegations of misconduct, is now under criminal investigation by the NYPD, Eater reports. The department confirmed the investigation to CBS '
which aired a...
New Misconduct Allegations:
'It's Batali. And It's Bad'
Dec 11, 2017 8:37 AM CST
New Misconduct Allegations: 'It's Batali. And It's Bad'
Four women come forward to describe groping to Eater
- The latest lengthy dive into allegations of sexual misconduct comes via Eater —and, as the publication suggests, involves a chef. Mario Batali has been named by four unnamed women as having touched them inappropriately "in a pattern of behavior that appears to span at least two decades"; Eater...
Obama 'Saved Best for Last'
at Final State Dinner
Oct 19, 2016 4:38 AM CDT
Obama 'Saved Best for Last' at Final State Dinner
He welcomes Italian PM, 400 guests
- "Bittersweet" was the word of the night at President Obama's 13th and final state dinner. "We saved the best for last," he said Tuesday as he welcomed Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi and his wife, Agnese Landini, to the White House. He wasn't joking. The...
10 More Scandals
Involving Star Chefs
Jul 6, 2013 4:31 PM CDT
10 More Scandals Involving Star Chefs
Paula Deen is far from the first
- We all know about Paula Deen's n-word scandal, but Radar offers up 10 more controversies involving celebrity chefs:
came out to help January Jones after her 2010 car accident, leading to rumors of an affair between the married chef and the
star. Some think he
Jan 17, 2012 8:15 AM CST
Jon Stewart Wastes PAC Dough on Mario Batali
Super PAC also funds an ad urging South Carolina to vote for ... Herman Cain
- Maybe giving Jon Stewart control of his super PAC wasn't Stephen Colbert's brightest move. On the
last night, Stewart confessed that he wasn't sure what to do with his newfound anonymously donated cash. "I'm just out here like a cartoon hobo that won...
Nov 10, 2011 12:14 PM CST
Mario Batali Pisses Off Wall Street
Perhaps not the best idea, considering bankers give him a lot of business
- Wall Street bankers may be a little reluctant to shell out $145 for Mario Batali’s seven-course "tradizionale" dinners after they hear he compared them to, say, the architect of the Holocaust. “The way the bankers have kind of toppled the way money is distributed and taken most...
Restaurant Workers Sue
Mario Batali Over Pay
Oct 13, 2010 2:45 PM CDT
Restaurant Workers Sue Mario Batali Over Pay
Lawsuit claims management withheld tips
- Celebrity chef Mario Batali faces a lawsuit from 27 employees of his renowned Del Posto restaurant in New York City, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. The staff claims that tip money and extra income from banquets were never paid. Specifically, the suit claims that Del Posto improperly pooled workers' tips...
Jan 4, 2010 6:10 AM CST
Michelle Obama Debuts on
Not surprisingly, White House exec chef wins the day
- Michelle Obama made her much-hyped guest appearance on
Iron Chef America
last night, in a “Super Chef Battle” featuring the White House executive chef. Cristeta Comerford teamed up with celebrity chef Bobby Flay against the two-celeb team of Emeril Lagasse and Mario Batali, while Obama’s role was to...
Nov 4, 2009 11:54 AM CST
Michelle Pushes Healthy Meals —on
First lady will guest on Food Network competition's season opener
- Michelle Obama’s campaign to wean kids off junk food is taking a slightly unorthodox turn: The first lady will guest on
Iron Chef America
’s Jan. 3 episode. In addition to discussing her crusade for healthy school lunches and more, Obama will reveal the secret ingredient for the show's...
Cured for What Ails You
Sep 10, 2008 4:05 PM CDT
Cured for What Ails You
Chefs, diners can't get enough of salty beef and pork salumi
- Move over, fancy cheese, there's a new kid in town. Cured meat—salumi is the catchall term—is the latest foodie obsession, JJ Goode writes in
. Salumi ranges from the familiar—think salami and prosciutto—to the more obscure like bresaola, cured beef made by artisans who "rub...
Aug 13, 2008 12:39 PM CDT
Highest Paid Celebrity Chefs
Who's cashing in the biggest on culinary skills
- Rachael Ray may not be a classically trained chef, but her cooking prowess has made her a wealthy woman nonetheless, reports
. Thanks to four Food Network programs, a talk show, and a self-titled magazine, she's the highest-paid celebrity chef, pulling in $18 million a year. Here are 9 others...
Paltrow, Pals Start Foodie Tour of Spain
Oct 3, 2007 1:33 PM CDT
Paltrow, Pals Start Foodie Tour of Spain
Star-powered road trip will air on PBS next fall
- While one usually associates road-trip cuisine with a 7-Eleven, two foodies and two actresses today embark on a four-month culinary tour of Spain. Gwyneth Paltrow, chef Mario Batali,
New York Times
food columnist Mark Bittman, and Spanish actress Claudia Bassols will sample traditional cuisine for a 13-part PBS series called...
Popular on Newser
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.