Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Fleetwood Mac Singer Christine McVie Dies
Stories 1 - 20 |
Forrest Fenn's Treasure Is
Being Sold Piece by Piece
Nov 29, 2022 1:14 PM CST
Forrest Fenn's Treasure Is Being Sold Piece by Piece
Much of the haul, sold by finder Jack Stuef to a group of buyers, is now on the auction block
- If you searched in vain for Forrest Fenn's treasure, you can still get your hands on a piece of it. The mass of gold Jack Stuef discovered somewhere in the Rocky Mountains of Wyoming in June 2020, more than a decade after Fenn revealed a trail of clues to...
Hunt for 9 Tons of Lost Gold
Leads to ... a Long Story
Jul 3, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Hunt for 9 Tons of Lost Gold Leads to ... a Long Story
There are facts, but they may not point to actual lost treasure
- There are some verifiable, undeniable facts in this winding story about an alleged lost hoard of Civil War gold. First there's the document describing it, titled "The Lost Gold Ingot Treasure," in the archives at the Military History Institute in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. It tells of a Union...
World Leaders Now Going After
Russia's 2nd-Largest Export
Jun 26, 2022 5:32 AM CDT
World Leaders Now Going After Russia's 2nd-Largest Export
G-7 nations will ban gold shipments
- President Biden said Sunday in Germany that the US and other Group of Seven nations will ban imports of gold from Russia—Moscow's second largest export after energy. A formal announcement was expected Tuesday as the leaders hold their annual summit. Senior Biden administration officials said banning gold would...
A New Gold Rush
in California? Some
Think It's Worth It
Feb 5, 2022 1:45 PM CST
A New Gold Rush in California? Some Think It's Worth It
There's newfound interest in mines shuttered decades ago
- If the term "California gold rush" makes you think of the mid-1800s, get ready to be jerked forward in time. In a piece published by the
, Becki Robins explores the potential birth of a second gold rush in the state through the lens of Rise Gold, a mining...
Treasure Hunters Sue to
Find Out If FBI Found Gold
Jan 5, 2022 1:10 PM CST
Treasure Hunters Sue to Find Out If FBI Found Gold
Dennis, Kem Parada think they found gold lost in 1863, told FBI of it
- Treasure hunters who believe they located a huge cache of fabled Civil War-era gold in Pennsylvania are now on the prowl for something as elusive as the buried booty itself: government records of the FBI's excavation. Finders Keepers filed a federal lawsuit against the Justice Department over its failure...
High-Profile Data Company
Makes Unusual Investment
Aug 19, 2021 12:23 PM CDT
High-Profile Data Company Makes Unusual Investment
Palantir buys $51M worth of gold as a hedge against 'black swan event'
- In its latest SEC filing, the data analytics firm Palantir revealed what Bloomberg calls an "unusual investment strategy." The company bought $51 million worth of gold bars. "You have to be prepared for a future with more black swan events," chief operating officer Shyam Sankar tells...
Man Seeking Stash
of 'Nazi Gold'
Killed 4 Relatives
Jul 8, 2021 6:33 AM CDT
Man Seeking Stash of 'Nazi Gold' Killed 4 Relatives
There's no sign stash ever existed
- A Frenchman obsessed with a supposed stash of gold hidden from the Nazis has been sentenced to 30 years for murdering and dismembering four family members. Investigators say there is no sign the treasure ever existed. Prosecutors said Hubert Caouissin thought his brother-in-law Pascal Troadec had concealed gold bars that...
Gold' Beer Cans
a Solid Scam:
Jun 29, 2021 8:04 AM CDT
Brewery's 'Solid Gold' Beer Cans a Solid Scam: Contest Winners
Winners of BrewDog contest say 'solid gold' beer cans allegedly worth $20K are actually gold-plated
- Poet George Arnold preferred beer to gold , but winners of a Scottish brewery's recent giveaway were led to believe they'd be getting both, and they're now torqued about what was actually delivered. The UK's Advertising Standards Authorities says it's looking into claims by those who...
Prove Feds Sought
Fabled Pennsylvania Gold
Jun 25, 2021 7:21 AM CDT
Court Docs Prove Feds Sought Fabled Pennsylvania Gold
FBI agent applied for warrant in 2018 to keep Civil War-era cache out of state's hands
- An FBI agent applied for a federal warrant in 2018 to seize a fabled cache of US government gold he said was "stolen during the Civil War" and hidden in a Pennsylvania cave, per court documents unsealed Thursday. The newly unsealed affidavit confirms previous reporting by the AP that...
As Gold Bars Arrived at LAX,
Workers Allegedly Got Greedy
May 26, 2021 8:50 AM CDT
As Gold Bars Arrived at LAX, Workers Allegedly Got Greedy
2 cargo handlers charged with stealing gold worth $224K
- The theft of four gold bars from a shipment sent to Los Angeles International Airport could send two cargo handlers to prison for up to 15 years. South Los Angeles residents Marlon Moody, 38, and Brian Benson, 35, were arrested Tuesday by the FBI on charges of conspiracy and theft...
FBI May Have Been
Digging for Lost Gold
Mar 8, 2021 6:55 PM CST
FBI May Have Been Digging for Lost Gold
Official line is that no treasure was found, but not everyone is so sure
- Go for the gold? The US government went for it. FBI agents were looking for an extremely valuable cache of fabled Civil War-era gold—possibly tons of it—when they excavated a remote woodland site in Pennsylvania three years ago this month, according to government emails and other recently released...
Treasure Hunters Say FBI
Cheating Them Out of Old Gold
Jan 29, 2021 10:14 AM CST
Treasure Hunters Say FBI Cheating Them Out of Old Gold
Lawyer is pushing to unseal records following 2018 dig in Pennsylvania
- A lawyer says he's one step closer to uncovering the truth about a legendary treasure of Civil War gold said to have been lost in the Pennsylvania wilderness, reports Penn Live . The FBI excavated a site in Elk State Forest in 2018, acting on a tip from treasure hunting...
To Get to $7B in Gold, They
Have to Wrangle Rare Rodents
Oct 23, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
To Get to $7B in Gold, They Have to Wrangle Rare Rodents
Ed Stoddard at Undark describes the conservation project around Chilean mine
- An effort to pull 3.5 million ounces of gold from a site high in the mountains of northern Chile is expected to cost $860 million—$400,000 of which has already been spent on rodents. A colony of 25 endangered short-haired chinchillas has made a home at the site...
Trucks Relocate Nearly
$12B in Gold Bullion
Oct 3, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
Trucks Relocate Nearly $12B in Gold Bullion
- This really was the gold standard of road trips. The Netherlands' central bank transported its Dutch-based stock of gold—14,000 bars and about 1,000 boxes of gold coins—from its headquarters in Amsterdam to a safe in the nearby city of Haarlem in a meticulously and closely guarded...
It Took Months to
Get Their Mining
Permit. It Was
Worth the Wait
Aug 21, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
It Took Months to Get Their Mining Permit. It Was Worth the Wait
Family members find 2 gold nuggets worth at least $250K in Australia
- It was an exciting episode Thursday of
Aussie Gold Hunters
on Discovery, with a family find that could soon make them several hundred thousand dollars richer. Prospector Brent Shannon searches for gold in Australia with his brother-in-law Ethan West as the "Poseidon Crew," and West says he has...
Customer Orders 'Priciest
Facemask in the World'
Aug 9, 2020 3:15 PM CDT
Customer Orders 'Priciest Facemask in the World'
3.6K white and black diamonds add to the glitz
- An Israeli jewelry company is working on what it says will be the world's most expensive coronavirus mask, a gold, diamond-encrusted face covering with a price tag of $1.5 million, the AP reports. The 18-karat white gold mask will be decorated with 3,600 white and black diamonds...
'If There Ever Was a
Week to Pay Attention,
This Is Likely the One'
Jul 27, 2020 3:38 PM CDT
'If There Ever Was a Week to Pay Attention, This Is Likely the One'
Rally resumes ahead of 2-day Fed meeting
- Wall Street’s rally got back on track Monday, while gold rushed to a record at the start of a week packed with potentially market-moving events. The S&P 500 rose 0.7% to more than recover all its losses from last week, as Apple and other tech giants returned...
Owner of Gold
Left on Train
Jun 15, 2020 12:55 PM CDT
Switzerland Seeks Owner of Gold Left on Train
Somebody walked off a train last fall and left $200K in gold behind
- Authorities in Switzerland are trying to locate a person who left more than six pounds of gold on a train and apparently didn't miss it. Police say the gold, worth almost $200,000, was left in a parcel on a train between St. Gallen and Lucerne last October, the...
SS Officer's Diary Points
to Billions in Looted Gold
Jun 3, 2020 8:23 AM CDT
SS Officer's Diary Points to Billions in Looted Gold
Owners of Polish palace plan to search for buried well
- Rumors of a Nazi gold train in Poland resulted in nothing . But a new gold rush could be coming with the airing of a 75-year-old diary written by an SS officer in charge of transport, who describes 11 locations where Nazis hid gold, jewels, priceless paintings, and religious artifacts. The...
Nation Makes Stunning
Gold Find. Or Does It?
Feb 22, 2020 3:31 PM CST
Nation Makes Stunning Gold Find. Or Does It?
Reports out of India are a little confusing
- India has hit a gold motherlode of over 3,000 tons across multiple mines, worth about $167 billion—or it hasn't. Take your pick, based on the media report. The
are among outlets reporting that the Geological Survey of India (GSI), a federal mining...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
They Came In With Paddles to Save Him. A Fireball Erupted
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.