Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Witnesses Tell What They Saw
as FBI Hunted for Civil War Gold
Oct 8, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
Witnesses Tell What They Saw as FBI Hunted for Civil War Gold
Elk hunters describe heavily loaded armored truck, signs of a night dig
- In the heart of Pennsylvania elk country, Eric McCarthy and his client, Don Reichel, got up before sunrise to scour the forest floor for so-called "brown gold"—a rack of freshly shed antlers to add to Reichel's collection back home. One hill over, a team of FBI agents was also...
Selling Out in
in case you missed it
Oct 1, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Warehouse retail chain is limiting its 1-ounce gold bars to 2 per customer
- Gold bars don't just (allegedly) exist in the homes of US senators —now regular folks can pick some up at Costco. Per CBS News , the warehouse retailer is selling a 1-ounce PAMP Suisse Lady Fortuna Veriscan bar and a 1-ounce bar from South Africa's Rand Refinery , both...
Guy With Metal Detector
Makes 'Find of the
in case you missed it
Sep 10, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
Guy With Metal Detector Makes 'Find of the Century'
Erlend Bore of Norway uncovers 1,500-year-old necklace with symbol from Norse mythology
- When doctors told Erlend Bore to get off the couch, he went out and bought his first ever metal detector. The Norwegian had always dreamed of being an archaeologist and figured if he didn't find anything, at least he'd get some exercise. He did get out walking, but...
Thieves Melted Down Some
of Their Looted Ancient Coins
Jul 20, 2023 12:23 PM CDT
Thieves Melted Down Some of Their Looted Ancient Coins
But authorities in Germany hold out hope of retrieving most of the 483 Celtic coins stolen
- Investigators looking into the theft of hundreds of ancient gold coins from a German museum have found lumps of gold that appear to have resulted from part of the treasure being melted down, officials said. Four suspects were arrested Tuesday over the Nov. 22 break-in at the Celtic and Roman...
Buried Treasure's Significance
Is 'Hard to Comprehend'
in case you missed it
Jul 16, 2023 11:55 AM CDT
Buried Treasure's Significance Is 'Hard to Comprehend'
More than 800 Civil War-era coins emerge from Kentucky cornfield
- At first glance, the video appears to show your average pile of dirt. Then a breathless man points to what lies beneath layers of dirt and dust in his Kentucky cornfield: dozens upon dozens of gold coins, unearthed from the spot they've sat hidden for more than 150 years....
After Sanctions, Most
Russian Gold Went
to One Country
May 25, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
After Sanctions, Most Russian Gold Went to One Country
Experts say it may be finding its way to Western markets from UAE with its origin masked
- There's gold in them thar Emirates—and there's a lot more of it now that Western sanctions have blocked exports from Russia to London and other major gold trading hubs. Reuters reports that, according to Russian export records, some 75.7 metric tons of Russian gold worth $4....
Old Map, 1930s Tale Spurs
Modern Hunt for Gold
Apr 23, 2023 8:45 AM CDT
Old Map, 1930s Tale Spurs Modern Hunt for Gold
'Los Angeles Times' digs into the fabled treasure of Mount Kokoweef in the Mojave Desert
- It's a great American yarn. Whether there's any actual gold at the heart of it is a whole other matter. Writing for the
Los Angeles Times
, Daniel Miller digs into the legend of a veritable river of gold said to exist somewhere in the caverns beneath Mount Kokoweef...
He Went in With Metal Detector,
Came Out With $160K in Gold
Mar 29, 2023 7:27 AM CDT
He Went in With Metal Detector, Came Out With $160K in Gold
'I haven't seen a specimen in this amount of gold in my 43 years of prospecting'
- A man exploring with a metal detector hit the jackpot, uncovering what a veteran gold prospector calls a "once-in-a-lifetime find." The amateur gold digger, who is remaining anonymous, was searching the goldfields of Australia's Victoria state, site of an 1850s gold rush, when he stumbled upon a...
They Went Underground in
Search of Gold, Stayed for Years
Mar 19, 2023 2:05 PM CDT
They Went Underground in Search of Gold, Stayed for Years
Inside South Africa's abandoned gold mines and the zama-zamas who enter them
- More than 40% of all the gold ever mined on Earth has come from South Africa's mines—and it's thought that zama-zamas mine about 10% of what the country annually produces each year. That's the name (it roughly translates to "take a chance") that's...
FBI Photos Have
One Man Convinced
Agency Did Find Gold
Feb 18, 2023 12:00 PM CST
FBI Photos Have One Man Convinced Agency Did Find Gold
Dennis Parada's quest to get more FBI records on Dents Run continues
- The court-ordered release of a trove of government photos, videos, maps, and other documents involving the FBI's secretive search for Civil War-era gold has a treasure hunter more convinced than ever of a coverup—and just as determined to prove it. Dennis Parada waged a legal battle to force...
Science May Have a Remedy
for Your Fogged-Up Glasses
Dec 18, 2022 2:00 PM CST
Science May Have a Remedy for Your Fogged-Up Glasses
Researchers say an invisible, super-thin coating of gold could keep lenses heated, fogginess at bay
- If you wear eyeglasses, you're unwillingly part of a select club that experiences a particular annoyance whenever the weather gets cold or you have to don a face mask: glasses that fog up. Scientists out of Switzerland, however, are excited about what they say could be the solution to...
Forrest Fenn's Treasure Is
Being Sold Piece by Piece
Nov 29, 2022 1:14 PM CST
Forrest Fenn's Treasure Is Being Sold Piece by Piece
Much of the haul, sold by finder Jack Stuef to a group of buyers, is now on the auction block
- If you searched in vain for Forrest Fenn's treasure, you can still get your hands on a piece of it. The mass of gold Jack Stuef discovered somewhere in the Rocky Mountains of Wyoming in June 2020, more than a decade after Fenn revealed a trail of clues to...
Hunt for 9 Tons of Lost Gold
Leads to ... a Long Story
Jul 3, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Hunt for 9 Tons of Lost Gold Leads to ... a Long Story
There are facts, but they may not point to actual lost treasure
- There are some verifiable, undeniable facts in this winding story about an alleged lost hoard of Civil War gold. First there's the document describing it, titled "The Lost Gold Ingot Treasure," in the archives at the Military History Institute in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. It tells of a Union...
World Leaders Now Going After
Russia's 2nd-Largest Export
Jun 26, 2022 5:32 AM CDT
World Leaders Now Going After Russia's 2nd-Largest Export
G-7 nations will ban gold shipments
- President Biden said Sunday in Germany that the US and other Group of Seven nations will ban imports of gold from Russia—Moscow's second largest export after energy. A formal announcement was expected Tuesday as the leaders hold their annual summit. Senior Biden administration officials said banning gold would...
A New Gold Rush
in California? Some
Think It's Worth It
Feb 5, 2022 1:45 PM CST
A New Gold Rush in California? Some Think It's Worth It
There's newfound interest in mines shuttered decades ago
- If the term "California gold rush" makes you think of the mid-1800s, get ready to be jerked forward in time. In a piece published by the
, Becki Robins explores the potential birth of a second gold rush in the state through the lens of Rise Gold, a mining...
Treasure Hunters Sue to
Find Out If FBI Found Gold
Jan 5, 2022 1:10 PM CST
Treasure Hunters Sue to Find Out If FBI Found Gold
Dennis, Kem Parada think they found gold lost in 1863, told FBI of it
- Treasure hunters who believe they located a huge cache of fabled Civil War-era gold in Pennsylvania are now on the prowl for something as elusive as the buried booty itself: government records of the FBI's excavation. Finders Keepers filed a federal lawsuit against the Justice Department over its failure...
High-Profile Data Company
Makes Unusual Investment
Aug 19, 2021 12:23 PM CDT
High-Profile Data Company Makes Unusual Investment
Palantir buys $51M worth of gold as a hedge against 'black swan event'
- In its latest SEC filing, the data analytics firm Palantir revealed what Bloomberg calls an "unusual investment strategy." The company bought $51 million worth of gold bars. "You have to be prepared for a future with more black swan events," chief operating officer Shyam Sankar tells...
Man Seeking Stash
of 'Nazi Gold'
Killed 4 Relatives
Jul 8, 2021 6:33 AM CDT
Man Seeking Stash of 'Nazi Gold' Killed 4 Relatives
There's no sign stash ever existed
- A Frenchman obsessed with a supposed stash of gold hidden from the Nazis has been sentenced to 30 years for murdering and dismembering four family members. Investigators say there is no sign the treasure ever existed. Prosecutors said Hubert Caouissin thought his brother-in-law Pascal Troadec had concealed gold bars that...
Gold' Beer Cans
a Solid Scam:
Jun 29, 2021 8:04 AM CDT
Brewery's 'Solid Gold' Beer Cans a Solid Scam: Contest Winners
Winners of BrewDog contest say 'solid gold' beer cans allegedly worth $20K are actually gold-plated
- Poet George Arnold preferred beer to gold , but winners of a Scottish brewery's recent giveaway were led to believe they'd be getting both, and they're now torqued about what was actually delivered. The UK's Advertising Standards Authorities says it's looking into claims by those who...
Prove Feds Sought
Fabled Pennsylvania Gold
Jun 25, 2021 7:21 AM CDT
Court Docs Prove Feds Sought Fabled Pennsylvania Gold
FBI agent applied for warrant in 2018 to keep Civil War-era cache out of state's hands
- An FBI agent applied for a federal warrant in 2018 to seize a fabled cache of US government gold he said was "stolen during the Civil War" and hidden in a Pennsylvania cave, per court documents unsealed Thursday. The newly unsealed affidavit confirms previous reporting by the AP that...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.