Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Was a Staffer's Hoax
Oct 4, 2022 11:47 AM CDT
FBI: 'Bomb' at Northeastern Was a Staffer's Hoax
Jason Duhaime, 45, of Texas has been arrested and charged
- Reports that an explosion last month at Northeastern University may have been staged are correct, according to the FBI. NBC News reports the law enforcement agency announced Tuesday that Jason Duhaime of Texas, who claimed he'd been injured in the Sept. 13 incident, has been arrested and charged with...
Someone Tried to
VP. Many Don't
Sep 16, 2022 11:54 AM CDT
Someone Tried to Kill Argentina's VP. Many Don't Believe It
Conspiracy theories abound amid probe into assassination attempt on Cristina Fernandez
- At least three people have been arrested over the assassination attempt against Argentina Vice President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner earlier this month, and the investigation is ongoing, but some now think that probe may be a wild goose chase of sorts. As the
New York Times
frames it: "A...
'Cruel Prank' Led to Panic
at Florida High School
Sep 12, 2022 2:13 PM CDT
'Cruel Prank' Led to Panic at Florida High School
Students will face charges, possible expulsion
- A shooting scare at a central Florida high school was a "cruel prank" carried out by two groups of students who now face criminal charges and possible expulsion, police said. Rumors, lies, and conspiracy theories have been "floating around" on social media since Friday's lockdown at Mainland...
Inside the 'Real Tragedy'
of Manti Te'o Catfish Hoax
Aug 21, 2022 11:10 AM CDT
Inside the 'Real Tragedy' of Manti Te'o Catfish Hoax
Netflix doc shows 'just how easy it was for him to get hoodwinked,' writes SI's Jimmy Traina
- In 2013, the sports world was turned upside down when Deadspin reported that the girlfriend of Notre Dame football star Manti Te'o, who was said to have died of leukemia, didn't exist . Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, who has since come out as a trans woman named Naya, admitted to creating...
His 'Deep Space' Image
Wasn't Quite What It Seemed
Aug 5, 2022 2:02 PM CDT
His 'Deep Space' Image Wasn't Quite What It Seemed
Physicist clarifies after posting joke image of chorizo
- A French physicist who received thousands of likes on a tweeted photo he claimed was from the James Webb Space Telescope has admitted the photo actually showed a very detailed slice of chorizo sausage. Etienne Klein, a director at France's Atomic Energy Commission, apologized after claiming the image of...
Sentenced to a Year in Prison
Jul 22, 2022 3:01 AM CDT
GoFundMe Scammer Sentenced to a Year in Prison
Katelyn McClure could get more time on state charges
: New Jersey woman Katelyn McClure has been sentenced to a year in federal prison for her role in a 2017 GoFundMe scam. McClure, who pleaded guilty to wire fraud, was also ordered to pay $400,000 in restitution, the Department of Justice says. The 32-year-old could face more prison...
British Man's False Teeth Story
Fails the Reality Check
Feb 27, 2022 4:15 PM CST
British Man's False Teeth Story Fails the Reality Check
This bizarre, funny story may serve best as a lesson in good journalism
- In early February, the story of Paul Bishop’s false teeth swept the British media and much of the globe. Nobody could resist the story. It offers humor, mystery, and the reassurance that there are diligent, honorable lab technicians looking out for us. The story also makes for catchy headlines....
Man Going to Prison for Post
About COVID, Grocery Stores
Oct 6, 2021 12:55 PM CDT
Man Going to Prison for Post About COVID, Grocery Stores
He falsely said an infected person was licking groceries
- A Texas man who posted a COVID-19 hoax on social media in the weeks after the pandemic was declared will spend the next 15 months in federal prison. FBI agents in San Antonio launched an investigation in April 2020 after authorities were sent a screenshot of a Facebook post in...
Up to 5K Turned Out for Hoax
Concert. It Did Not End Well
Apr 2, 2021 12:05 PM CDT
Up to 5K Turned Out for Hoax Concert. It Did Not End Well
Belgian police officer hospitalized after clashes in Brussels
- An April Fools' joke in Belgium did not go over well Thursday as police used tear gas and water cannons to disperse a crowd that had gathered to attend a concert, which turned out to be a hoax. An announcement posted to Facebook in March promised a slate of famous...
TV Anchor Quit for Harvard Job.
Then She Noticed 'Anomalies'
in case you missed it
Jan 23, 2021 3:35 PM CST
TV Anchor Quit for Harvard Job. Then She Noticed 'Anomalies'
Nidhi Razdan of NDTV says she fell victim to a 'sophisticated and coordinated phishing attack'
- Nidhi Razdan spent 21 years as the lead anchor of India's NDTV, which one might think would give her the chops to take on a position as an associate professor of journalism at Harvard. In fact, in June she said she was giving up her job to do that...
Ohio Man Sentenced for
Impersonating Missing Boy
Dec 16, 2020 1:50 PM CST
Ohio Man Sentenced for Impersonating Missing Boy
Prosecutors said Brian Rini caused Timmothy Pitzen's family 'enormous pain'
- An Ohio man who caused fresh heartbreak for the family of a long-missing boy has been sentenced to 2 years in prison for aggravated identity theft. Brian Rini, now 25, was 23 years old when he claimed to be 14-year-old Timmothy Pitzen , an Illinois boy who has been missing since...
Dec 15, 2020 5:23 PM CST
Employee Pleads Guilty After Lying About COVID
Trying to get paid leave, an Atlanta man told his company he'd tested positive
- An Atlanta employee who went well beyond just calling in sick has been convicted. Santwon Antonio Davis, 35, falsely told his employer he had COVID-19, NBC reports. The company had to shut down a plant temporarily, costing it $100,000, and four of the man's colleagues had to go...
After 'Professor' Dies of COVID,
Bizarre Hoax Theory Emerges
in case you missed it
Aug 8, 2020 2:30 PM CDT
After 'Professor' Dies of COVID, Bizarre Hoax Theory Emerges
It appears the professor never existed and the related Twitter feed was bogus
- It's a convoluted tale without a lot of answers at the moment. It revolves around an apparently fictitious professor at Arizona State University, the announcement of that professor's death on Twitter of COVID-19, and a prominent crusader against sexual harassment in the sciences. Digging in:
Trump on Coronavirus:
It's Dems' 'New Hoax'
Feb 29, 2020 7:30 AM CST
Trump on Coronavirus: It's Dems' 'New Hoax'
Claims Democrats are 'politicizing' contagious disease, says administration is 'totally prepared'
- As the coronavirus continues to infiltrate countries around the world, President Trump is knocking Democrats in the US for "politicizing" the contagious disease. NBC News reports that Trump made his remarks at a campaign rally in North Charleston, SC, Friday evening as he continued to minimize the risk of...
Coronavirus in Meth?
Cops Defend the Hoax
Feb 28, 2020 11:36 AM CST
Coronavirus in Meth? Cops Defend the Hoax
A health expert argues 'they're undermining their credibility'
- Police across the country are issuing fake warnings about meth infected with coronavirus—and a health expert is none too pleased. Police departments in St. Francis County, Ark.; Johnson City, Texas; Taveres, Fla.; and Decatur County, Kan.; are among those that have shared the warning about COVID-19, which has killed...
Yet Another Turn
Nov 20, 2019 2:20 PM CST
Jussie Smollett Saga Takes Yet Another Turn
Former 'Empire' actor files counterclaim against city of Chicago
- The latest in the Jussie Smollett legal saga: The former
actor has countersued Chicago after the city sued him in April in an attempt to recoup the cost of the police investigation into what authorities say was a hoax attack staged by the actor in January. Smollett had already...
Jul 2, 2019 10:35 AM CDT
Well-Known Columnist Apparently Got 'Swatted'
Someone called cops, told them Leonard Pitts Jr.'s wife was being murdered in their home
- "It was an interesting way to start the morning," says columnist Leonard Pitts Jr., and that may be just a bit of an understatement. After someone made a hoax call to police reporting that the wife of the Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist was being murdered inside their Bowie, Md....
Police Release Video
in Jussie Smollett Case
Jun 25, 2019 1:24 AM CDT
Police Release Video in Jussie Smollett Case
Body cam footage shows actor with rope around neck
- Police in Chicago have released more than 70 hours of video relating to the bizarre Jussie Smollett case—including body camera footage from officers responding to the hate crime the actor allegedly staged. In footage from his home, Smollett can be seen with a white rope around his neck, NBC...
Publisher of Sandy Hook Hoax
Book: 'Pozner Telling the Truth'
Jun 18, 2019 1:27 PM CDT
Publisher of Sandy Hook Hoax Book: 'Pozner Telling the Truth'
Lenny Pozner has also won a defamation suit against the book's authors
- The father of a victim of the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre has won a defamation lawsuit against the authors of a book that claimed the shooting never happened—the latest victory for victims' relatives who have been taking a more aggressive stance against conspiracy theorists.
Nobody Died at Sandy
Fake Heiress Faces
Up to 15 Years in Prison
Apr 26, 2019 4:54 AM CDT
Fake Heiress Faces Up to 15 Years in Prison
Anna Sorokin scammed her way into elite NYC circles
- A woman who claimed to be a wealthy German heiress has been found guilty of scamming banks, hotels, and friends who funded her lavish New York City lifestyle. Anna Sorokin, 28, was found guilty Thursday of four counts of theft of services, three counts of grand larceny, and one count...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Family 'Destroyed' After Tragedy During College Parents Weekend
Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen Hire Divorce Attorneys
Brad Pitt Fires Back at Angelina Jolie
It's Canned Water. And It's Nearly a Unicorn
Herschel Walker's Abortion Story Was No Secret
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.